You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
megadeux

Cv hunting.

23 comments in this topic

[RKN]
Members
1,634 posts
3,364 battles

I was wondering what possesses DDs to go ahead and hunt CVs, I see it done very often in my Shoukaku. Very often a DD will split off from the objective game, ignore my team, and try to nuke me. What is the benefit? Is there some reward that could come out of it? It's really easy to kill a DD. If anyone here does it. can you explain why? I'm really curious.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,687 posts
9,098 battles

This should explain that.

so-shiny-7455.jpg

• Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
8,287 posts
17,354 battles

^^ This...^^

...and because they know it annoys a CV driver; in that respect; it is only 'easy' to kill that destroyer which might have found you if your squads aren't off somewhere else; and if you call them back, that means they aren't attacking something else.

You might kill that DD, but half your team dies in the meantime because the enemy CV is unopposed; seems like a good trade to me.

The issue of 'leaving the objective game' to do so is valid though; if half your team dies but holds the caps most of the game you'll probably win anyway; in that case what the DD did was stupid.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

[5IN]
Members
1,792 posts
8,144 battles

There are some campaign missions that you need to sink a CV.  I don't advocate hunting one down to the detriment of your team and the objectives, but that could be one explanation.

B

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,804 posts
15,310 battles

I enjoy CV hunting as it brings out only the freshest and saltiest of tears!

(there is NOTHING like listening to the CV player who hovered his airplanes over you for most of the game telling you how stupid you are for killing him, LOL!)

[RKN]
Members
1,634 posts
3,364 battles
16 minutes ago, Umikami said:

(there is NOTHING like listening to the CV player who hovered his airplanes over you for most of the game telling you how stupid you are for killing him, LOL!)

What tears? The last time a DD killed me I was in ryujo. Its rediculously easy to kill a DD trying to snipe, especially because they never get air cover. It seems a bit silly to risk it just for tears. 

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,804 posts
15,310 battles
2 minutes ago, megadeux said:

What tears? The last time a DD killed me I was in ryujo. Its rediculously easy to kill a DD trying to snipe, especially because they never get air cover. It seems a bit silly to risk it just for tears. 

and I rest my case ...

[DD214]
Members
758 posts

Each game is different and so is each engagement. When in a DD (or a CL for that matter) I don't go looking for the CV to the exclusion of all else, but if one shows up I may go for the kill--depending on other considerations.

[TOAST]
Members
812 posts
7,256 battles
15 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

^^ This...^^

...and because they know it annoys a CV driver; in that respect; it is only 'easy' to kill that destroyer which might have found you if your squads aren't off somewhere else; and if you call them back, that means they aren't attacking something else.

You might kill that DD, but half your team dies in the meantime because the enemy CV is unopposed; seems like a good trade to me.

The issue of 'leaving the objective game' to do so is valid though; if half your team dies but holds the caps most of the game you'll probably win anyway; in that case what the DD did was stupid.

It's not a good trade for the time and risk you have to invest in it. All the spotting, capping and area denial you could be doing is wasted on the possible benefit killing that cv might have. By the time you get there, provided you actually make it, it might not even matter that you sink the CV. More often than not it doesn't matter and then you just have a DD way out in the middle of nowhere doing nothing.

It goes both ways. Sure the CV may leave his own team open by calling his planes back but you leave your bigger ships open to his team's DDs. They can't shoot what they can't see and they'll have less time to react to torps since you're not there to help spot them for your bigger ships. 

The only time it's valid is when you are forced to leave the objective game. It's fine after you cap a point and the CV pops up at 10km or whatever. If you're actually fast enough to catch him without much trouble sure go for it. Outside of the lower tiers CV can be as fast as you are or have a few knots over your top speed. 

No you can't expect random teams for form an effective AA bubble but all the time you waste sailing out there to hunt the CV he's going to be bombing and torping your team that entire time regardless. He's outputting damage, a cv hunting DD is not. 

Edited by Vekta408

[RKN]
Members
1,634 posts
3,364 battles

besides, it's super easy to tell when a CV is after me, I can finish my strike, then scout for them and use my refueled planes to nuke the enemy DD. I've almost never seen it done correctly, although IJN DDs have a chance if the CV is an airhead and doesn't notice that he's spotted.

• Cool 1

[GLF]
Members
777 posts
9,391 battles
On 10/15/2017 at 10:14 AM, Umikami said:

The salinity gets higher when you full AA spec your DD and nuke all those planes whilst chasing them down :)   

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,804 posts
15,310 battles
3 hours ago, AnimaL21 said:

The salinity gets higher when you full AA spec your DD and nuke all those planes whilst chasing them down :)   

Z-46, Z-52, Yugumo, Gearing, ... and the list goes on, and on, and on ...

[GLF]
Members
777 posts
9,391 battles
Just now, Umikami said:

Z-46, Z-52, Yugumo, Gearing, ... and the list goes on, and on, and on ...

I only have the yugumo, of those, lol.  But I found that far too ineffective AA at t9 to bother (weakest t9 aa).  

I find, in my AA spec DDs, instead of running, i chase the planes for AA kills.  In doing so, they run right back to their source.  Like hunting any other worthless pest, swat the workers, kill the nest. 

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,804 posts
15,310 battles
2 minutes ago, AnimaL21 said:

instead of running, i chase the planes for AA kills.

I LOVE doing that! CV drivers freak out when you chase their planes (especially if they know you have any AA at all). And yeah, they do run home to mommy first thing.

[GLF]
Members
777 posts
9,391 battles

The best is when the squadron icon appears on the deck as a plane is taking off, and you score kills on it before its even airborne. 

"Just fire at the flight deck, men! "

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,804 posts
15,310 battles
On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 10:38 AM, Vekta408 said:

It's not a good trade for the time and risk you have to invest in it. All the spotting, capping and area denial you could be doing is wasted on the possible benefit killing that cv might have

This is a good point, but offset by the amount of spotting, area denial, and damage the CV would be doing if you (I) weren't chasing him down and threatening him. My opinion.

By the time you get there, provided you actually make it, it might not even matter that you sink the CV.

Actually, it ALWAYS matters that you sink the CV, if only for the points.

you just have a DD way out in the middle of nowhere doing nothing.

And sometimes this is true; no tactic is 100% guaranteed successful; but sometimes it is VERY SUCCESSFUL, and dead cv is GUDE!

It goes both ways. Sure the CV may leave his own team open by calling his planes back but you leave your bigger ships open to his team's DDs.

Which is what our cruisers are for; at least that's what we've been hearing for 2 years now.

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,850 posts
7,159 battles

I often get hunted by dds, and appreciate the time and effort they put into flanking the entire map to get to me. I consider the attention given to sinking my CV a compliment. :Smile_popcorn:

[GULAG]
[GULAG]
Members
149 posts
1,372 battles

I'm working on getting away from CV hunting. That broad hull working it's way through the water, sometimes just not moving at all, is really hard to resist. It's also fun to watch the CV driver panic. Some guys don't panic, but they're kinda rare.

• Cool 1

[TOAST]
Members
812 posts
7,256 battles
17 hours ago, Umikami said:

This is a good point, but offset by the amount of spotting, area denial, and damage the CV would be doing if you (I) weren't chasing him down and threatening him. My opinion.

Actually, it ALWAYS matters that you sink the CV, if only for the points.

And sometimes this is true; no tactic is 100% guaranteed successful; but sometimes it is VERY SUCCESSFUL, and dead cv is GUDE!

Which is what our cruisers are for; at least that's what we've been hearing for 2 years now.

Your first point doesn't make any sense.  How does it offset anything to spend 5 minutes doing nothing but sailing around the map looking for a CV somewhere in the back? They're not going to sit there just to look for you hunting them unless they're super green or have an overwhelming sense of paranoia about DD. 

No it doesn't. Not even for the points. You get far more points actually doing your job(s) as a DD and helping your team win than you would sinking that one cv. Capping, landing torps, gunning down other DD, saving team members from themselves, enabling a pushing, giving vision. They're in no way equal to fumbling around to hunt that CV.

Don't take it badly but that's just greedy. Too greedy to be justified. You can get away with it in low and mid tiers and that's your choice. It's a pet peeve of mine (and a lot of others) in the higher tiers when you got a DD sailing around to the detriment of every other job(s) he could be doing. 

Cruisers don't have the concealment (and certainly not the armor) to effectively screen against another DD. You're suppose to be there to spot the DD so they can use their superior firepower as a cruiser to put them down faster. Lets be real here. cruisers aren't going to put themselves forward enough to actually screen for battleships and other cruisers if they are not forced to. It's far better for them(and the team as a whole) to let you spot for them so they can try and engage from somewhere behind you rather than try and do your job with the concealment they don't have and ask to be deleted. 

Edited by Vekta408

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,804 posts
15,310 battles
2 hours ago, Vekta408 said:

Your first point doesn't make any sense.  How does it offset anything to spend 5 minutes doing nothing but sailing around the map looking for a CV somewhere in the back? They're not going to sit there just to look for you hunting them unless they're super green or have an overwhelming sense of paranoia about DD. 

Well, I'm not sure it takes 5 minutes to shake off a cruiser or two and get into the rear areas of a battle. And as soon as the CV gets the "detected" notice and also sees no one within spotting range he'll know he's been detected, and is being stalked, by a DD. Sometimes all the cheats they give ships which don't depend on stealth backfire, or at least can be turned against the players who use them.

No it doesn't. Not even for the points. You get far more points actually doing your job(s) as a DD and helping your team win than you would sinking that one cv. Capping, landing torps, gunning down other DD, saving team members from themselves, enabling a pushing, giving vision. They're in no way equal to fumbling around to hunt that CV.

Removing a CV from the battle denies the reds their best spotters; denies the reds their longest ranged strike force; drops the threats to your CV in half; and disrupts the enemy battle plan when their support ships have to change up to protect the CV. How is this not helpful to everyone except the red CV?

Don't take it badly but that's just greedy. Too greedy to be justified. You can get away with it in low and mid tiers and that's your choice. It's a pet peeve of mine (and a lot of others) in the higher tiers when you got a DD sailing around to the detriment of every other job(s) he could be doing. 

Since this game is played by me, an individual, I'm going to be OK with taking care of me first.

Cruisers don't have the concealment (and certainly not the armor) to effectively screen against another DD.

This is utter nonsense; it's the job they were designed for; screening the fleet.

Lets be real here. cruisers aren't going to put themselves forward enough to actually screen for battleships and other cruisers if they are not forced to.

That is an issue for you and your cruisers; it doesn't involve me or my DD.

It's far better for them(and the team as a whole) to let you spot for them so they can try and engage from somewhere behind you rather than try and do your job with the concealment they don't have and ask to be deleted.

While it MAY be better for them, it is certainly not better for the team.

This is a game, and sinking CV's is both fun and profitable; go be serious somewhere else!

• Cool 1

[1IF]
Alpha Tester
4,252 posts
8,337 battles
On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 7:15 PM, BrushWolf said:

This should explain that.

so-shiny-7455.jpg

ROFL. +1 for you.

On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 7:48 PM, RipNuN2 said:

This happens . . . .

4s09o5c.gif

OK, you too (but am forcing myself here .....)

My response: cause killing a CV, especially a higher tier one,  often assists in winning the battle.