Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
icehaddock

Need advice on Tier 9 and Tier 10 cruisers

10 comments in this topic

[NASTY]
Members
106 posts
5,405 battles

Hello everyone.

Up to know I have never really focused on one particular nation and I tend to play them equally. Thus I have yet to reach tier 10 for any ship line.
I am now reconsidering this approach and seriously thinking about focused grinding for one particular cruiser line all the way up to tier 10
Currently I'm at tier 8 with Russian, German and US cruisers and at tier 9 with Japanese cruisers (Chapayev, Hipper, New Orleans and Ibuki)

I would love to hear from all of you who have already reach tier 10 with various cruisers.

I don't like Ibuki and I barely can't stomach the idea to play it on and on to Zao
Should I instead focus on German, US or Russian?
Of these, which one do you like the most for tier 9? Is it Roon, Baltimore or Dmitri Donskoi? Why?
For tier 10 which one do you like the most ? Is it Hindenburg, Des Moines or Moskva? Why?
Or is it Zao still ?

Thanks in advance!
Ice

[SPTR]
Members
3,479 posts
5,752 battles

If you feel like the Ibuki isn't working out for you it's pretty normal. You may try something different, such as speccing for -40% rudder module on the last slot and engine boost module. The major downside of the Ibuki is its fragility, then why not try dodging the shots instead of hoping no one spots and shoots at you? The Zao is much more forgiving, much more reliable ship from my experience in PTS. Plus you are so close to her compared to other tier-Xs.

If you want to play the Russian cruiser line for fun, you may stop at Donskoi. Because Moskva is a pretty stagnant ship to play, similar to how you play pre-citadel-removal Iowa, except you have to click on your mouse three times as often. You know how people say a ship is "a second line support ship"? The Moskva is a "third line support ship" in that regard -- your comfort zone should be somewhere between 16-18km. With Donskoi you have more dpm, more potential game impact, and a better armor scheme to help you play a little more aggressive.

The poor Des Memes takes a lot of practice to get used to -- she pays a very high price for that now mediocre firing rate (because now we have minotaur), particularly in terms of armor and shell arc. It's for an acquired taste, a taste that I did not find during PTS.

The Hindenburg is arguably the best tier X cruiser right now, but I never get to play her since her HE buff.:Smile_sad: But really, this ship is very versatile, almost no shortcomings except concealment.

But honestly, why bother with tier X cruisers when the Conqueror can do everything the cruisers can, but better in every way...

Members
3,805 posts
14,103 battles
44 minutes ago, The_first_harbinger said:

The Hindenburg is arguably the best tier X cruiser right now, but I never get to play her since her HE buff.:Smile_sad: But really, this ship is very versatile, almost no shortcomings except concealment.

This^. Hindy's my favorite tier 10 ship and rivals Scharnhorst as being my #1 favorite ship. She's very versatile and, IMHO, you couldn't go wrong adding Hindy to your port. I don't find the higher than most other t-10 CA's concealment to be a major problem.

You mentioned misgivings about Zao. I don't have Zao (I wouldn't mind getting her though) but I've been up against them several times and with a driver who knows what he/she's doing, Zao's a very formidable adversary.

I have Des Moines and while she's a damn good ship, I don't do very well with her. But I damn sure don't like being on the receiving end of one that has a good driver.

[PVE]
Members
512 posts
4,345 battles
2 hours ago, The_first_harbinger said:

But honestly, why bother with tier X cruisers when the Conqueror can do everything the cruisers can, but better in every way...

I am thinking that I might as well be on a Fletcher or the KM DD (maybe at some point). From my (very) limited number of T10 games, DDs seem to have a greater impact than CAs anyway.

[A_O_A]
Beta Testers
123 posts
6,733 battles

I disliked the Ibuki, and now dislike the Zao.  I would skip the Zao until later and concentrate on a line you like. I do enjoy the Des Moines,  but it is better in divs than solo.

Members
9,434 posts
11,601 battles

hindy is good cruiser.    I am starting to play it a lot in preparing for clan war, and it really excells in DPM and hydro.  its AP isn't that great unless  you have broadside to shoot at short range,  but HE can do lot of pen dmg.   great at medium to longer range but not as great for closer in unless you are in torp range.    

[WSU]
Members
75 posts
7,177 battles

I only have DM and Hindy, but have played against all other many times, so only take this FWIW....

Hindy is nice, general purpose boat. Can burn, can Cit, can torp, can even take a decent amount of dmg. But don't ever go broadside or you'll insta-delete.

DM can be outstanding or useless. Good concealment, radar and patience make it outstanding. Supporting the team makes it outstanding. Once spotted, it's likely to become useless (i.e. dead). Needs good cover, especially after 6.12 smoke nerf.

A note on the Minotaur. Now that it's concealed to 5.9(?) km in smoke, it's got a big advantage over Hindy/DM at medium ranges (6-10km). Torps, radar/smoke, insane RoF. I've been shredded by smoked Minos a couple times not since smoke nerf and it was not fun.

Just my .02 from an average player.

Members
2,409 posts
7,727 battles

I would say go for Roon and Hindenburg. Hindenburg is probably the best overall cruiser, the truly Jack of all trades cruiser. 

Just a question, if you hate Ibuki how did you got so dar in the IJN cruiser line? From aoba onwards they play exact same way. 

[PVE]
Members
512 posts
4,345 battles

I have only had my roon for a minute but it rocks. Got it to 20k range and with double rudder she turns really well. She is a blast. I have only hit with the torps once (on a DM or Baltimore that tried to ram me) but they are strong enough.

Members
1,550 posts
8,238 battles

Hey

I would highly recommend the  Roon and Hindenburg as great cruisers.  I personally absolutely love my Roon, great handling, turns good, good speed, and I don't mind only 1 turret up front.  Recently; in a late battle game did a bit over 66K damage on a Conqueror at fairly close range in my Hindy and could have done more had teammates not finished him off, they are both a beast.  In Roon this past weak had a 144.5K game.  German T9/T10 cruisers rock!!

Pete 

Sign in to follow this