You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
BlueWaterWolf

Question re: Reporting

44 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
271 posts
10,664 battles

Greetings all,

Has it started to become a thing to report someone for killing you?  Double strike on two reds that happened to be clan mates, with a third clan mate on their team. Two reports for what they called "misbehavior in chat".  I typed nothing offensive or derogatory to them or about them, but they seemed to take any public communication as an excuse.  Got a report on a 4 kill game just now, where I also smoked friendly BB and capped in standard, while saying nothing.

Just asking if there are any repercussions for getting whatever reports they are using on me. Not worried about it, so much as curious as to what takes place, if anything, as reports are logged. The first example took me from 79 to 77, then I earned back to 80 in about 48 hours. Then lost another for no reason that I could fathom.  It would be nice to know who reported me for what, when it happens, so that I may adjust .

It is how I personally play the game. Help the team as much as possible, and get compliments.   It's why my other stats suck so bad.  :Smile_smile:  My DDs tend to get exposed doing their duty.

Thanks for your attention.

[PSP]
Members
6,353 posts
8,977 battles

Some people just like to cause trouble. I've lost karma when I was first or second on a winning team. I can only assume here that that someone lower than me on my team was jealous or someone on the opposite team was especially pissed at me. I've also gotten positive karma when my playing was horrendous and I ended up near the bottom of my team. I finally just stopped looking at the karma number as it really affects nothing of importance.

The number I am concerned with is the reputation in the forums as it reflects the value of my posts and my ability to enlighten and entertain people.

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
234 posts
3,652 battles

It happens to me, as well.  IMHO, it just sticks in some player's crawls when somebody "who is obviously inferior to themselves" does better than they do in battle.

As I understand it, any reports made on people are looked into by viewing the battles in question and making a determination as to the validity of the report.  If you KNOW you did nothing wrong, then nothing bad is going to really happen to you and I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I have the same philosophy about playing the game as you, basically:  I try to help out my team the best way possible.  My stats are terrible because I usually put myself in the position of being killed while scouting & capping - "doing [my] duty" as a DD.  I also try to help out CVs if I'm in the area and can get to them fast enough to help keep someone off of them - or kill a few planes, etc.  Unfortunately, I rarely get complimented, but that's not what I'm looking for.  It's for personal satisfaction and relaxation that I play for the most part.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
234 posts
3,652 battles
3 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Some people just like to cause trouble. I've lost karma when I was first or second on a winning team. I can only assume here that that someone lower than me on my team was jealous or someone on the opposite team was especially pissed at me. I've also gotten positive karma when my playing was horrendous and I ended up near the bottom of my team. I finally just stopped looking at the karma number as it really affects nothing of importance.

Yep.  Me, too.

[ANZ4C]
Beta Testers
559 posts

yep.

get 6 kills, nothing positive from your team.

kill one salty (not neccessarily the clan) enemy player and get 3 negs.

welcome to the game, where karma means nothing and the reports are stupid.

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles

I like to report the people that chime out in the chat room to report someone else.  Good plot twist.  lol. 

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles
2 minutes ago, Dareios said:

yep.

get 6 kills, nothing positive from your team.

kill one salty (not neccessarily the clan) enemy player and get 3 negs.

welcome to the game, where karma means nothing and the reports are stupid.

The thing that really gets me is calling out AFK players to report.  That is dumb. 

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,726 posts
9,120 battles

The in game reports and karma are mostly meaningless beyond better karma allows more reports & complements.

[CK5]
Members
808 posts
6,608 battles

Unfortunately, it has always been a thing to down-Karma someone who is simply playing the game as intended.  I have lost Karma while finishing in the top three for my team and saying nothing at all in chat, but I did get a kill (or two) so I can only surmise who made the report.  

[LOU1]
Members
3,085 posts
8,164 battles

I have noticed that when there are missions requiring kills, I seem to lose karma points.  I think it is because I destroy a ship someone else may have earmarked for themselves.  It also probably happens when someone needs something for an achievement or campaign and your actions seem to interfere with that.

For instance, your team is down on ships, but you are about to cap out the enemy base.  One of your teammates needs 1k of damage to complete something.  You stay in the cap and cap out for the win while their point blank salvo is in mid air.  You saved the win for the team, but you may have made someone very irritated.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,282 posts

Yeah, people do this stuff all the time. Myself and a clan member tried a brief experiment related to hidden stats. I suggested he hide his stats for a few days but keep playing the same style as always. He did. And his karma took hits. He made his stats public again and guess what... the negative spiral stopped. Even though it is a small sample group, it illustrates people will give you negative karma for almost anything, including hidden stats. 

By the way - if any action is taken against you by WoWS/WG, you can ask them for evidence of what it was that triggered that ban. 

Members
4,841 posts
5,599 battles

A couple things to note about karma and reports.

1. It takes two reports from separate people to lose 1 karma point. If the same player wastes all 7-11 reports on you, it only counts one. If a second player also reports you for anything, then you lose a karma point.

2. The system only counts 'misbehavior in chat' reports if you've actually typed in chat a short time before the report is filed. As I understand it, when it was recently adjusted, 'misbehavior in chat' reports don't do anything(such as inciting an auto chat ban) if you've not typed in chat. I also seem to recall that there's a point in which 'misbehavior in chat' won't result in any actions taken against you even if you've typed in chat, like there's a cooldown or something to help prevent it from being abused(I may be recalling this incorrectly, so don't quote me on this specifically without actually looking it up first).

3. Karma is like Who's Line Is It Anyway? Everything was made up, and the points don't matter. :cap_haloween:

Edited by GhostSwordsman

[PSP]
Members
6,353 posts
8,977 battles
26 minutes ago, GhostSwordsman said:

The system only counts 'misbehavior in chat' reports if you've actually typed in chat a short time before the report is filed.

I do know that reported misbehavior can have immediate consequences. Though I see a fair share of normal "salt," in nearly 5000 games, I've only seen a few really bad instances of verbal abuse in chat. One especially egregious player was reported by both teams. This resulted in a chat message signifying that he had been disciplined.

Members
4,841 posts
5,599 battles
29 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

I do know that reported misbehavior can have immediate consequences. Though I see a fair share of normal "salt," in nearly 5000 games, I've only seen a few really bad instances of verbal abuse in chat. One especially egregious player was reported by both teams. This resulted in a chat message signifying that he had been disciplined.

Yes, as it's an automated system, it will place the ban on the player as soon as they exceed the required number of reports(from different players).

But my point was that had that happened to someone who had not typed in chat at all, like a single clan with a division or two in the match reporting one player just because they could, then that player wouldn't be auto chat banned, as I understand it. This was done to prevent abuse of the system, so groups of players couldn't target individuals they simply didn't like and prevent them from using chat(as a chat ban prevents you from even using chat in port, not just the in-match chat).

[FML]
Members
1,785 posts
10,159 battles

I fairly often report top tier ships who are bottom of the team, particularly on a loss, and especially if they are substantially below the next worst performers for "bad play", because if not them, then who?

otoh, I give out heaps of positive karma, often running out. 

[WOLF9]
Members
3,256 posts

I tend to report f key spammers and Cap'n Saltys because both are as annoying as a car full of screaming, bickering tweens.

Unsportsmanlike tends to get some reports, too- particularly the hyper aggressive torp spewer types so desperate for kills that they dive right between you and an enemy you're shooting at.  Or those who can't stand to see a BB actually brawling, and MUST end it as quickly as possible.  CV's that don't give a rip WHERE their torpedoes go, so long as they hit something, etc etc etc.

And yes, kill/damage missions can bring out the angry "You greedy bastid!" reports when a ship explodes just as your shells are about to hit it... Especially if that player ends up with a whole slew of kills.  (that's why I don't care for those- they bring out the worst in people- including me.)

I don't give out compliments as often as I should, mainly because I'm focused on what I'm doing and not on what others are doing,lol.  But I will if I see someone do something epic. (or really smart!)

[SSBN]
[SSBN]
Members
306 posts
5,228 battles

I don't think I've ever been reported.....  now that I say that I'm sure one of you knuckleheads will do it just cause

[ANZ4C]
Beta Testers
559 posts

volley 3 of 5 volleys deliberately fired into/at me....

hippie1.thumb.jpg.335a45b52ebf4895f8713b1a147ddf6a.jpg

wth? why....?

hippie2.thumb.jpg.45e1cb44853071c9ae73c21cbad7a877.jpg

ohhh? so thats why in the top screenshot shows me with multiple allied ships only a few km away. definitely running and not moving forward, with the fleet, engaging the enemy, as the minmap clearly shows. probably too far out sideways, but stock QE is sluggish AF.

hippie3.jpg.ccbd026b2ed74ca3c2afb17ea436c9ab.jpg

oh? ok. so WG, exactly what is the threshold? just so I know what to spend so that I can attack allies with impunity!

[ADAPT]
Members
830 posts
13,116 battles

my karma never reach 10, the best is 5, so i dont care that much..you should too. no reward for getting 100000000 karma!!! useless 

[-K-]
Supertester
3,099 posts
6,832 battles

I report people who refuse to run camo on their ships.  Do you know what effect it has?  None.  Zero.  Do you know how many frakks you should give about being reported?  Yep.  You guessed it.  None.  

• Cool 1

[RKN]
Members
1,425 posts
12,242 battles

I get reported a lot. Most of the time i probably deserve it. 

As soon as the game loads I'll report Strike Lexington or Conqueror. Take that deal elsewhere. 

Edited by SalvoSanta
  • Cool 1

Members
2,129 posts

There has been a drastic increase in the trolls. I have been black listing and muting people left and right.

After 2 weeks I finally got +2 karma today. Despite like 80-90% of my battles being top 3. I lost over 20 karma points in past 2 weeks. 

I'm not giving any more positive Karma out, unless you are top player or did something for me in game. I'm tired of being nice. All neg karma here on out.

• Cool 1

Members
20 posts
16,643 battles

Fun story, I lost 8 karma in one match when the red CV convinced his entire team to report me for hacking for having “more than the allowed” number of fighters per squadron. 

Halfway through trying to explain the AS skill and I get a 24 hour chat ban. Yeah weekends... 

• Cool 1

[DETN8]
[DETN8]
Members
1,662 posts
16,462 battles
On 10/14/2017 at 4:54 PM, CaptGodzillaPig said:

The thing that really gets me is calling out AFK players to report.  That is dumb. 

why? AFK players ruin games, especially AFK carriers. 

[INTEL]
Members
8,601 posts
25,771 battles
On 10/14/2017 at 1:13 PM, BlueWaterWolf said:

Greetings all,

Has it started to become a thing to report someone for killing you?  Double strike on two reds that happened to be clan mates, with a third clan mate on their team. Two reports for what they called "misbehavior in chat".  I typed nothing offensive or derogatory to them or about them, but they seemed to take any public communication as an excuse.  Got a report on a 4 kill game just now, where I also smoked friendly BB and capped in standard, while saying nothing.

You might not believe this, but people make errors. They want to click compliment but instead report you. It happens. So don't take every one as a report, unless you are in a CV or a Minotaur. Because people in those ships deserve to get reported every 10 seconds.

Edited by Taichunger