You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
AquaKing777

Carrier or Destroyer?

17 comments in this topic

[TEXAN]
Members
0 posts
626 battles

Hello, I currently have the IV Hosho and the III Wakatake. I like sneak attacks and doing lots of damage at once, which I feel like both of these ships can do. Which class should I grind: Destroyers or Carriers?

[RKLES]
Members
7,194 posts
8,940 battles

Destroyers seem to be the best at sneak attacks since Aircraft are usually able to be seen flying around.

• Cool 1

[TEXAN]
Members
0 posts
626 battles

Eh, I'm used to playing arty in world of tanks (let the hate begin), so does that have an impact on which class I should stick with?

[SUCIT]
Members
824 posts
3,603 battles
12 minutes ago, AquaKing777 said:

Hello, I currently have the IV Hosho and the III Wakatake. I like sneak attacks and doing lots of damage at once, which I feel like both of these ships can do. Which class should I grind: Destroyers or Carriers?

82733-why-not-both-meme-5LvD.jpg.1aa2a9f1857b84d9e7c471e3268a94b6.jpg

But really, play whatever you like.  I, along with most of the playerbase, don't like CV's or the way they function, but if its what you like, play it.

That being said, if you're choosing your first line in the game, you should start with either Russian, German or USN DD's over IJN dds if you like destroyers.  Currently, the meta is in favor of gunboats, not torp boats, and you'll find RU, KM and USN lines are a lot more forgiving than the IJN line.  

Members
445 posts
2,076 battles

Carriers have amazing alpha strikes, but you won't be sneaking around very much, especially in later tiers. I haven't played WoT beyond tier 3 so a bit hard for me to answer this, but in my (very limited) view carrier is more survivable. You actually can tank a bit of damage, though not a lot. You'll constantly want to be moving your ship, to stay as close as safely possible to the battle, while also not giving the enemy a chance to shoot at you. The thing is, you'll usually be detected by enemy aircraft, so the enemy team will know where you are. Islands are your best friend. You'll always want to have your fighters up front defending allied ships and your strike aircraft, and making sure you spot anything that needs spotting (i.e. a lone destroyer capping a point near your team.)

With destroyers meanwhile, especially Japanese, you'll primarily want to stay undetected and focus on torping things with some occasional gunfire. I haven't played the Japanese destroyer line much so excuse my lack of knowledge here, someone else could better explain this. I can tell you stealth is extremely important.

Edited by Speedstang

Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles

You multitask a great deal in CVs. Lots of waiting, but prolly more like the Arty than anything else.

You are very activity and have lots of options playing DDs. DD's are prolly the most fun you can have in the game, but there are many counters. There's a great deal to learn and challenge yourself.

I usually do my best to talk anyone out of IJN DDs, but if it's a difference between those and a CV, then IJN DDs it is.

Ultimately, I would switch back and forth between your play sessions to have a bit of variety.

[SUCIT]
Members
824 posts
3,603 battles
15 minutes ago, AquaKing777 said:

Are IJN cruisers a good mix of everything?

Every line has their unique traits.  Some ships have better AA, some have better secondaries, some have better stealth. 

Cruisers are what should make up the bulk of the fleet.  They have good AA, good speed, good concealment, and good firepower.  They are basically the "Jack of All Trades" ships in WoWs

Destroyers are smaller ships with far less HP than any other class in the game.  They generally have weak AA, great speed, great concealment, and weak guns.  The benefit of DDs are torps, which have the ability to wipe any ship off the map with very high alpha damage.  

Battleships are large ships with large HP pools, heals, and the best guns in the game.  They have strong AA, bad maneuverability, generally bad concealment, but they boast some of the highest alpha damage in the game.  If you get a good salvo off, you can practically delete any ship in the game.  

Aircraft carriers are where things get a bit touchy.  Unlike the previous three classes, they are not involved in any surface fighting.  They have strong alpha strikes, but have extremely long "reloads" between strikes.  They excel at erasing lone ships.  

Each line in the game has different things they excel at.  If you want me to break them all down, I could, but that's another wall of text.  

• Cool 1

[B_O_W]
Members
247 posts
5,479 battles
48 minutes ago, AquaKing777 said:

Eh, I'm used to playing arty in world of tanks (let the hate begin), so does that have an impact on which class I should stick with?

Don't worry, you may have killed me many times.  Ary in WoT plus the O-I are the ones that usually take me out!  ;)

Different ship class, different impact on the game, different game style all together.  Add the different country, very different tactics.  I prefer DD's over the other classes.  Second, are the cruisers.  And, ti depend upon the country and your play style.

Japanese DD's play different than all other country DD's.  They have a greater impact, fear factor and mid and higher tiers.  When all other ships see a DD, there is usually a focus to try and kill it.  Think of a Japanese DD as a sniper scout in WoT.  Their guns are weak, but torps have good better range than all other DD's below Tier 7.  You can spam torps blind, and get hits.  Nice.  I know! 

Carriers planes can be defeated ships like the Cleveland, the Atlanta, Aoba, and many other cruisers, let alone enemy fighters that are well played.  But if you place the torp planes well, you can cripple or kill BB's and cruisers.  Higher levels have better air defense - range and damage.  But you still influance the fear factor.

Me?  I prefer DD's.  But a good carrier skipper is worth their weight in gold, as is a good DD skipper.

[B_O_W]
Members
247 posts
5,479 battles
2 minutes ago, XpliCT_PaiiN said:

Every line has their unique traits.  Some ships have better AA, some have better secondaries, some have better stealth. 

Cruisers are what should make up the bulk of the fleet.  They have good AA, good speed, good concealment, and good firepower.  They are basically the "Jack of All Trades" ships in WoWs

Destroyers are smaller ships with far less HP than any other class in the game.  They generally have weak AA, great speed, great concealment, and weak guns.  The benefit of DDs are torps, which have the ability to wipe any ship off the map with very high alpha damage.  

Battleships are large ships with large HP pools, heals, and the best guns in the game.  They have strong AA, bad maneuverability, generally bad concealment, but they boast some of the highest alpha damage in the game.  If you get a good salvo off, you can practically delete any ship in the game.  

Aircraft carriers are where things get a bit touchy.  Unlike the previous three classes, they are not involved in any surface fighting.  They have strong alpha strikes, but have extremely long "reloads" between strikes.  They excel at erasing lone ships.  

Each line in the game has different things they excel at.  If you want me to break them all down, I could, but that's another wall of text.  

Very well stated!

[RKLES]
Members
7,194 posts
8,940 battles
7 hours ago, Texas_Vet said:

Don't worry, you may have killed me many times.  Ary in WoT plus the O-I are the ones that usually take me out!  ;)

Different ship class, different impact on the game, different game style all together.  Add the different country, very different tactics.  I prefer DD's over the other classes.  Second, are the cruisers.  And, ti depend upon the country and your play style.

Japanese DD's play different than all other country DD's.  They have a greater impact, fear factor and mid and higher tiers.  When all other ships see a DD, there is usually a focus to try and kill it.  Think of a Japanese DD as a sniper scout in WoT.  Their guns are weak, but torps have good better range than all other DD's below Tier 7.  You can spam torps blind, and get hits.  Nice.  I know! 

Carriers planes can be defeated ships like the Cleveland, the Atlanta, Aoba, and many other cruisers, let alone enemy fighters that are well played.  But if you place the torp planes well, you can cripple or kill BB's and cruisers.  Higher levels have better air defense - range and damage.  But you still influance the fear factor.

Me?  I prefer DD's.  But a good carrier skipper is worth their weight in gold, as is a good DD skipper.

Even the IJN tier IV DD is good with the Torpedoes

Members
16,047 posts
14,433 battles
On 10/14/2017 at 11:21 AM, AquaKing777 said:

A Good DD player is one of the biggest assets to team success, most especially so at high tiers (Tier VIII-X).  The only thing more valuable than a Good DD is a Good CV.

The CV has tremendous influence on the map and can do a lot of functions for the team.  Scout, torpedo spotting, perma-spotting DDs (hint hint), bomber attacks.

Good players in both types of ships have massive influence in a match and affect what others do.  People don't sail as aggressively if they know a Fletcher, Gearing, Shimakaze, etc. are still around and haven't been spotted in a while.  Compare that to when the opposing DDs are dead, then the BBs REALLY get bold.  The CV influences the entire map and can get eyes on an area with no friendly ships there, as well as dispatch bombers across the map.  This influence is the only thing that surpasses a DDs ability to affect the match.

Now, there's a few caveats as you go higher in the tiers with a CV or DD.

DD?  They run into more catapult aircraft, hydro as expected.  The CV danger becomes magnified.  Tier IX Taiho, Tier X Hakuryu can bring 3 torpedo bomber squadrons to cross drop a DD with 12 torps and that is absolutely f--king terrifying.  Some of those CVs will do that well even if you drop smoke and try to hide.  Hell, Kaga at Tier VII can drop 12 torpedoes with 2, 6-plane units with a very unconventional drop pattern that catches many by surprise still.  Also, as you go higher in the tiers, Radar becomes more prevalent.

CV?  AA grows a lot as you go higher in the tiers.  You'll first start seeing this at Tier V and then VI, as you come across Cleveland, Atlanta that wipe your planes out.  Some USN BBs develop powerful AA suites and can make attack runs on them very costly for minimal return if you do not do the attack at a later time when their AA mounts have been damaged from battle.  CVs facing ships 2 tiers higher than them can struggle.  A Tier VI CV facing lots of Tier VIII's will struggle.  A Tier VII CV facing lots of Tier IX's will struggle.  A Tier VIII CV facing lots of Tier X's will struggle.

Both ships will demand patience so as not to be wasteful to get rekt or lose their planes on fruitless ventures.  A CV does not get directly into harm's way typically, but a CV with no planes is as good as dead to the team.

On 10/14/2017 at 11:26 AM, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Destroyers seem to be the best at sneak attacks since Aircraft are usually able to be seen flying around.

When you see a Strike Taiho / Hakuryu bomber group of 12 torpedo bombers suddenly coming over some islands while you were angled to face threats at another direction, that's some "Tora! Tora! Tora!" s--t right there.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[RKLES]
Members
7,194 posts
8,940 battles

To be fair any ship Class can have a major impact on the game, especially if the user is well versed in how to use them.

Members
16,047 posts
14,433 battles
6 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

To be fair any ship Class can have a major impact on the game, especially if the user is well versed in how to use them.

DDs and CVs are far more influential.  It's called "Vision" for the battle.

You can completely stop any hope of an enemy push by killing their DDs.  Who wants to lead the attack without a DD?  The BB?  Hell no, he'll eat torps and focus fired.  The Cruiser?  HELL NO, all the BBs will obliterate it.  Who's going to lead the push with no DDs?  NOBODY, not unless they want a death wish.  This is especially true as you go higher in the tiers.

DDs are vital because of their stealth, torpedoes, vision they provide the team.  No Cruiser or Battleship can ever fulfill that function, and none of them want to be forward for risk of heavy enemy fire.

Is your team out of DDs while the enemy team still has their torpedo DDs?  No?  Do you have CV aircraft to spot those DDs?  No?  THEN GOOD LUCK!  The DDs will run rampant in stealth, freely spotting for their team while dropping torps.  FFS, DDs can single-handedly push back an ENTIRE FLANK due to the threat of stealth, spotting, and torpedoes.  It's very, very hard engaging the Cruisers and Battleships in the back if there's unspotted DDs that are freely torpedoing you.

On the flip side, the DD is your best Anti-DD weapon that isn't a CV.  They are your screen to keep the other DDs away, or go out and spot them for attack. 

No DDs?  Well, your team has no eyes.  Enemy DDs OTOH will spot for their team and have a full picture on your team's dispositions.

Having no DDs of your own, you are blind.  Your screen against DDs no longer exists.  Having no DDs?  It's like seeing the entire width of your screen with next to nothing to shoot at, while the enemy team is taking free potshots at you at range because a DD is constantly spotting you.  And you have next to no idea where the DD is.

The CV is more of that.  I already covered in my last post the power of projecting airpower for attacks.  "Vision" for the team is part of that.  Being able to dispatch fighters for air-to-air combat, scouting, and bombers to send across the map is true power.

Cruisers and Battleships do not have that level of influence.  Matter of fact, the Battleship players live in fear of a CV and the thought of a DD running loose is terrifying.

[B_O_W]
Members
247 posts
5,479 battles

Which to pick between CV's or DD's?  As an arty player in WoT, the CV might suit your play style.

Me?  I like TD's in WoT.  They hide, hit, run, spot, counter TD's, etc.  So for that, the DD is my preferred ship (specifically the US DD line).