You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
KingCurry1717

BB HE Spam, Did I miss something?

20 comments in this topic

Members
5 posts
1,201 battles

So, I just got NC last night actually, and had a decent game. So today, I go into a battle, started out as normal for me (in any ship really), the entire enemy team tunneling me despite me usually being behind several ships. But something strange happened....the *entire* enemy team was using HE....a Tirpitz, a NM, and another NC included (the Queen Liz is fair game because...British). Now, I would say "that's weird, first time I've seen that happen since lower tiers" But that's about the 9th game I've had that every BB  (CLs and CAs is fair game) spamming HE. I don't have an issue with HE spam (I have a Kirov for gods sake :Smile_teethhappy:). I'm just curious to why every captain is spamming HE nowadays? Did I miss some buff on HE or something? 

PS: If you're wondering what happened to me in the NC game I described, I got burned to death in like 5 mins :s

[HINON]
Supertester
19,189 posts
12,700 battles
2 minutes ago, KingCurry1717 said:

PS: If you're wondering what happened to me in the NC game I described, I got burned to death in like 5 mins :s

This is why. It works. The introduction of the RNBB line with buffed HE pen and inflated HE fire chance made people remember that they had a 1 key and how viable it is.

• Cool 3

[WOLF4]
[WOLF4]
Beta Testers
99 posts
5,661 battles

Simple really, with the Brit BBs in the mix it's now a lot easier to catch people with damage control on cooldown, and with the amount of damage potential at both ranges and angles that make using AP a crapshoot it becomes the preferred option.

[RKLES]
Members
7,192 posts
8,940 battles

Also it is the weekend so monkey see monkey do saying goes into effect. Some people see British BBs spamming fire so then they think oh so that's what we are supposed to do and then they start trying it expecting same results.

While AP may not set fires I have seen it take take full HP ships down to 0 instantly lol. 

We all know players still do not know the value of shooting a broadside sailing ship or not sailing broadside themselves.

Members
5 posts
1,201 battles

Well like I said, I understand the brit BBs, I was curious about every other BB. I I died to the Tirpitz and the NM and 2 CAs popping between islands. The QE was somewhere shooting *at* me but never hit me. I was just shocked as I had never seen HE spam on that mass before. 

[CUTIE]
Beta Testers
4,274 posts
7,830 battles

Saw a Yamato firing HE at me, he had terrible results.

Saw a GK firing HE at me, it was annoying but not particularly dangerous.

Saw a Montana firing HE at me, very bearable though it bothered me because it was accurate and ruined lots of AA mounts in a CV game.

Then a Conqueror fired HE at me and it looked like I was being citadelled from the front by HE.

BBs firing HE can be quite annoying because it's hard to defend against. Yamatos have no reason to because they can deal more reliable damage going AP only, GK and Montana should still favour AP shots against broadsides if they want to optimize results, but if you're on a British BB, firing HE at angled targets produces normal results you'd expect from APing people... it's kinda awkward but that's the state of them right now.

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,833 posts
13,050 battles
3 minutes ago, KingCurry1717 said:

Well like I said, I understand the brit BBs, I was curious about every other BB. I I died to the Tirpitz and the NM and 2 CAs popping between islands. The QE was somewhere shooting *at* me but never hit me. I was just shocked as I had never seen HE spam on that mass before. 

Yes, but the RN BB's makes HE more effective for everyone else.

Before RN BB's, the likelihood of having a DCP ready was higher...hence, less chance of catching a BB on cool down (as noted by someone else above).  Now with fire breathing BBs in the mix, it forced one's hand with the DCP...thereby opening the HE benefits for the rest of the crowd.

All that said, it is a must these days to run as much fire prevention skills, modules, and flags as possible in T8 and above.  A lot of fire prevention, along with some stealth builds...and you can stop fires you get...and go silent if things get out of hand.

I still use AP when AP is appropriate.  Keep in mind that an NC (T8) at long range (even broadside) is often an HE decision for T6 BBs (14 inchers and 15 inchers)...and even a Tirpitz (with better 15...but still worthy of HE).

All said, focus fire HE is very effective.  

Members
5 posts
1,201 battles
16 minutes ago, HMSVampire said:

Saw a Yamato firing HE at me, he had terrible results.

Saw a GK firing HE at me, it was annoying but not particularly dangerous.

Saw a Montana firing HE at me, very bearable though it bothered me because it was accurate and ruined lots of AA mounts in a CV game.

Then a Conqueror fired HE at me and it looked like I was being citadelled from the front by HE.

BBs firing HE can be quite annoying because it's hard to defend against. Yamatos have no reason to because they can deal more reliable damage going AP only, GK and Montana should still favour AP shots against broadsides if they want to optimize results, but if you're on a British BB, firing HE at angled targets produces normal results you'd expect from APing people... it's kinda awkward but that's the state of them right now.

This is true on many levels, Montana's and GKs firing at me with HE does nothing other than annoy me and take out my AA. Conqs on the other hand...they fell like Mack trucks running me over. 

16 minutes ago, Soshi_Sone said:

Yes, but the RN BB's makes HE more effective for everyone else.

Before RN BB's, the likelihood of having a DCP ready was higher...hence, less chance of catching a BB on cool down (as noted by someone else above).  Now with fire breathing BBs in the mix, it forced one's hand with the DCP...thereby opening the HE benefits for the rest of the crowd.

All that said, it is a must these days to run as much fire prevention skills, modules, and flags as possible in T8 and above.  A lot of fire prevention, along with some stealth builds...and you can stop fires you get...and go silent if things get out of hand.

I still use AP when AP is appropriate.  Keep in mind that an NC (T8) at long range (even broadside) is often an HE decision for T6 BBs (14 inchers and 15 inchers)...and even a Tirpitz (with better 15...but still worthy of HE).

All said, focus fire HE is very effective.  

I do understand focus fire EH is effective, even more so on the NC. But again, just..the overall spam of fires and HE mainly from BBs *really* took me back, thanks for the understand tho.

[RKLES]
Members
7,192 posts
8,940 battles

I say buff the RN BB AP up to usable levels and tear down its HE stats.

I can't figure out why when Wargaming gave RN CLs  AP only what possessed them to make the RN BBs fire breathing dragons...

Then you would stop the noobs from learning bad habits for their other BBs since some BBs just can't make HE work for them and they carry devastating AP, but now we have noobs thinking they should span HE in everything when instead they should be using AP

Edited by Admiral_Thrawn_1

Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles

Scrubs see the U.K. BBs using them, and think they should too.

It basically boils down to that.

Edited by Wulfgarn
  • Cool 1

Members
16,046 posts
14,433 battles
1 hour ago, KingCurry1717 said:

So, I just got NC last night actually, and had a decent game. So today, I go into a battle, started out as normal for me (in any ship really), the entire enemy team tunneling me despite me usually being behind several ships. But something strange happened....the *entire* enemy team was using HE....a Tirpitz, a NM, and another NC included (the Queen Liz is fair game because...British). Now, I would say "that's weird, first time I've seen that happen since lower tiers" But that's about the 9th game I've had that every BB  (CLs and CAs is fair game) spamming HE. I don't have an issue with HE spam (I have a Kirov for gods sake :Smile_teethhappy:). I'm just curious to why every captain is spamming HE nowadays? Did I miss some buff on HE or something? 

There are some people thinking they should be spamming HE regardless of ship type due to the RN BBs.  There are lots of idiots in this game.

It only works for RN BBs because of how super specialized they are for it.  They are for all intents and purposes, oversized Cruisers.

Now, Non-RN BB HE can work wonders at the right time, but they lean more on traditional AP.  Montana for instance has a magnificent HE salvo that you can resort to for the right occasions.

Members
1,866 posts
5 minutes ago, Wulfgarn said:

Scrubs see the U.K. BBs using them, and think they should too.

It basically boils down to that.

I had NorthCa shooting HE at my Tirpitz at about 5km. I wrecked him.

Members
341 posts
1,906 battles

HE has long been underrated by BB captains. I'd rather do 2-3k damage per salvo against an angled BB and light him on fire multiple times than launch AP, do no damage 2/3 of the time and accomplish nothing.

Members
16,046 posts
14,433 battles
30 minutes ago, Seadog_Supreme said:

I had NorthCa shooting HE at my Tirpitz at about 5km. I wrecked him.

Stuff like that makes me cringe.  At all the ranges while the German BB is creeping to get into secondaries (or torps for Tirpitz) range, NC could be using the far more punishing AP.

But that's fine.  Seeing stuff like BBs shooting HE at my Cruisers?  I'll take that any day.

[ANZ4C]
Beta Testers
559 posts

If youre low health I may HE to secure the kill rather than risk AP sliding off the side.

If youre 20km away, nose in, with a bunch of team mates around you, then thats a HEing.

if Im loaded already and my previous target did before I got a firing solution, im not waiting 30s to reload, you can just have the HE volley I prepared earlier.

but show me 30 deg side, or get withing 10km, and AP all the way. even with the brits.

[SYN]
Members
14,439 posts
10,418 battles

Bow on camping BBs burn rather nicely from cruiser HE spam anyways.

This is why I think it is generally better to keep moving as a BB.

The only time to slow down and bow-camp in a BB, is when you are waiting for your flank to catch up. What that means is, basically, you don't need to maneuver to a better position, because your team is working that side, and the point you are at is already the best position in relation to your team's movements. If that flank collapses, you are very likely to get sunk anyways, bow-camping or not, because a collapsed flank usually means your team is down on ships and there is a large gap in resultant firepower versus the red team.

Edited by MrDeaf

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles

Damage Con is being used so much more often lately it's more likely to get fire to stick. I'll tent to switch to HE at the beginning when ships are closing in and mostly bow on. Once the battle is joined and people are maneuvering I'll swap back to AP to cash in on some sweet, tender, luscious cits.