Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Panzer1113

NO the worst Cruiser for Teir in the game

77 comments in this topic

Members
1,459 posts
12,328 battles

Just got the New Orleans - seven battles in I have to say it is the worst cruiser for its tier I have experience in the game.  Have grinded all the cruiser lines, American is the last.  Thought it would be a challenging line, Omaha was difficult, but was pleasantly surprised by the Cleveland and Pensi - but the NO, at tier 8 is awful...  DPM sucks, shell flight ok, seems to take punishing hits and on fire all the time.  Can see why the ship is lowest average performer of the tier 8 cruisers - and tier 8 is really a mess so far - in the seven games (small sample size), low tier 4 times, mid tier twice and once high tier (one game I was the only tier 8 in a tier 10 match).  This thing really needs to be moved down a tier in it's present configuration.....

[NEMO]
[NEMO]
Members
756 posts
6,974 battles

I'm at the Cleveland right now.

I've unlocked the Pensacola, but after all the bad things I've heard about the rest of the line, I'm hesitant to spend the credits to advance any further down the line...

[WOLF8]
Members
23 posts
3,597 battles

The biggest problem for the NO is tier 10 matchmaking. And poor dpm. And tissue paper armor. And slow shell speed. And short range main guns. And lack of torps and secondaries. And lackluster AA. And slow top speed. And bleeding most of your speed in turns. And the large citadel...

If I could swap radar for smoke, I would. That may be the only way to make the NO viable. That and increasing the dpm and armor just a little bit.

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
1,070 posts
4,505 battles

The Pensacola is a surprisingly good ship. Good speed and almost every shot I make in it results in citadels. It also absorbs more damage than the stories would lead you to believe, which is both its greatest strength and weakness. You start doing well and you forget just how fragile your ship can be when you're no longer one on one with an enemy ship or they don't have anything else to shoot at (it is almost guaranteed that next to a spotted destroyer a Pensacola is everyone's favorite target of opportunity). You just have to be really careful about overextending or showing your sides more that necessary. I haven't played the NO since Beta (The Pensacola was way worse back then as well) but I would imagine it follows the same logic.

[WOLF8]
Members
23 posts
3,597 battles

I liked the Pensacola because of matchmaking. It was top tier for more than half the games I played in it. The NO is bottom tier almost every game and it does NOT up-tier very well.

Edited by SG_Kage

[CVA16]
Members
2,751 posts
6,397 battles

The only time I tried it was in the Public Test a while back. It did seem like a hard ship at tier 8. The Cleveland is one I wonder about though. A tier 6 cruiser with no torps. That's brutal.

[RKLES]
Members
7,211 posts
8,988 battles

Katori actually tends to be pretty bad due to the low top speed and while other stats are ok on it, the slow speed makes getting anywhere a challenge. So you can neither get to battle zones in time nor can you escape battle zones either.

All the over Cruisers in game can at least travel at decent speeds.

Edited by Admiral_Thrawn_1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,949 posts
7,526 battles

Pens is actually quite good. The issue is that they nerfed Cleveland to maker it fit at T6. The line should be Pens at 6, NO at 7, and Cleve at 8. Most players have difficulty making NO work well. I personally don't consider NO to be viable, even for co-op play. I'd rather play Indy at 7 than NO at 8.

[-WTP-]
[-WTP-]
Members
500 posts
5,592 battles
1 hour ago, Thraxian said:

I'm at the Cleveland right now.

I've unlocked the Pensacola, but after all the bad things I've heard about the rest of the line, I'm hesitant to spend the credits to advance any further down the line...

Ikr....I'm at the Pensacola and as bad as I want to try it, there's just other ships I want more...and well my Cleveland captain is so happy where he is I'd have to train another one for the heavy cruisers. Just don't know that it's worth it.

Edited by HeathenForay

[SALVO]
Members
17,069 posts
17,716 battles
1 hour ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Katori actually tends to be pretty bad due to the low top speed and while other stats are ok on it, the slow speed makes getting anywhere a challenge. So you can neither get to battle zones in time nor can you escape battle zones either.

All the over Cruisers in game can at least travel at decent speeds.

There are some other tier 3 cruisers that are brutally slow.  The Katori is blessed with great gun range which can make up for its brutally slow speed.  I have the Aurora, which I thoroughly enjoy playing, at least when I can get it on a smaller map.  It's also brutally slow, but it doesn't have the gun range of the Katori.  OTOH, it does have a crapton of guns and can lay down a lot of fire (and flame) on its enemies when it's in range.

[SYN]
Members
14,455 posts
10,465 battles

Although NO is the worst in T8, it doesn't have the same hopelessness of Emerald in T5

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
6,316 posts
4,264 battles
2 hours ago, RipNuN2 said:

emerald would like a word

This so much. It's not the paper-thinness I hate about her; it's that so many of the ships she matches up against simply outrange her. I've survived precisely one random battle in her (at least I think it was a random), and that was mostly by hiding and skulking and taking snapshots where I could. I don't actually LIKE being a coward, but when you have at least 4km to run before you are even in your maximum gun range and the other side is already spamming HE at you, it's either skulk or die.

• Cool 1

Members
1,459 posts
12,328 battles
44 minutes ago, MrDeaf said:

Although NO is the worst in T8, it doesn't have the same hopelessness of Emerald in T5

There were times when you could get the smoke to work or torps...but the NO is a big no

Members
1,640 posts
7,474 battles

I 3v1ed in Pensacola earlier today and netted myself 13k exp, shame I didn't get the final kill on the dd, instead leaving em on 1.3k hp and losing double strike. qq

Defo a fun and completely viable ship when played to her strengths.

• Cool 1

[A_O_A]
Beta Testers
123 posts
6,731 battles

The NO is extremely stealthy and maneuverable. If you are spotted, what a few seconds and radar since the concealment and radar range are extremely close.  I enjoyed the NO but you do have to be very, very patient. And sometimes you'll be randomly lol penned, but that's a general CA problem.

I felt like the NO was a pretty logical successor to the Pensacola and didn't feel like the transition was that hard.  YMMV.

• Cool 2

[PVE]
Members
5,622 posts
18,220 battles

Yeah I love cruisers and cruiser play. The NO is such a dog, kind of like the Belfast without smoke. Have played her a bit to get all the upgrades but just have stopped any forward momentum on the line. She really does not even work well in Coop of all places, really dislike it. 

Members
710 posts

Out of the Pensacola and the NO. the Pensacola is by far the worst with its tissue paper armour, the NO is significantly better in all areas.

the above is based on you being most often bottom tier.

[ZIPPO]
Members
1,557 posts
3,539 battles

9.1km detection with 9km radar, for the lulz. I love hunting smoke dwelling RN cruisers and she is able to dominate any cruiser in her tier with her AP. That said BBs make short work of her. I personally spend the first part of the match paying concealment games, fire a couple salvos and disappear, I focus on cruisers and DDs and avoid BBs

• Cool 1

[CYD]
Members
119 posts
2,547 battles

I enjoyed Pensacola and New Orleans. They’re both potent ships except that they punish poor play. However, they do require usage of cover, but that goes for the entire US cruiser line. If you’re trying to dance around at maximum range in open water, like some of the other cruiser lines, you’re doing it wrong. As stated the concealment range and radar range is punishing to destroyers and other ships relying on smoke and islands. With that being said, maps like Tears of the Cruiser (Desert), with their great expanses of open water, are not fun. 

• Cool 2

[OBS]
Members
1,243 posts
9,078 battles

NO is great upgraded; problem for me, at least, is that I tend to get the worst possible MM when I play it.  I get massively uptiered, score at or near the top of the team, and lose.  Swear the game expects me to be superhuman every time I make the mistake of taking the NO out again.

Sign in to follow this