You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
JohnnyO777

The raising of the Hindenburg Video

13 comments in this topic

[ANIME]
Members
51 posts
1,325 battles

The courage of these divers to enter a 1/2 sunken ship is amazing. Grateful for the folks who shared this on YouTube. Pass this kind of video around so they never are lost. 

• Cool 6

[ANIME]
Members
51 posts
1,325 battles
32 minutes ago, Wulfgarn said:

Thanks for posting! :Smile_honoring:

My pleasure! One thing I'm appreciating about WoWS is that it evokes the desire to learn more about the history of ships I play, and play against. 
It's amazing how much video is out there.

[HINON]
Modder, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles

I currently have a video on the wreck of the Musashi sitting in my watch later list.

Thanks OP.

[HINON]
Members
9,056 posts

Nice find, I imagine those old dive suits were exhausting to use and it looked like they barely fit through the doorways.

[ANIME]
Members
51 posts
1,325 battles
30 minutes ago, Doomlock said:

I currently have a video on the wreck of the Musashi sitting in my watch later list.

Thanks OP.

I'm about half way through that now. Chilling and thought provoking.
When they center in on the Imperial Seal on the bow, you just have to pause, and reflect.
My pleasure \o

Members
821 posts
3,891 battles
59 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

Nice find, I imagine those old dive suits were exhausting to use and it looked like they barely fit through the doorways.

Awesome book, "Descent into Darkness" buy it.  Written by a US diver salvaging the BB's at Pearl Harbor. will scare the crap out of you on several pages.

Members
821 posts
3,891 battles
31 minutes ago, JohnnyO777 said:

I'm about half way through that now. Chilling and thought provoking.
When they center in on the Imperial Seal on the bow, you just have to pause, and reflect.
My pleasure \o

???? , The Imperial seal was gone, and I have my suspicions it is sitting in some vault in one of  Paul Allen's mansions. LOL

[JFSOC]
Members
943 posts
2,858 battles

A great book on salvage is Under the Red Sea Sun Capt. Edward Ellsburg, USN (ret.)  It's a making chicken soup out of chicken [edited] story... 

[ANIME]
Members
51 posts
1,325 battles
21 hours ago, Strachwitz666 said:

???? , The Imperial seal was gone, and I have my suspicions it is sitting in some vault in one of  Paul Allen's mansions. LOL

It was made out of wood, you can see its remains on it's mount on the bow (starting around 12:15 on the video).

Edited by JohnnyO777
Additional information.

Members
821 posts
3,891 battles

I know , I have seen the video before and looked at again from your note. It is just a couple of the areas look "fresher" than the others.  Possible, but unlikely, I know. 

I have been pushing for raising the USS Tecumseh, and it is frustrating to see these billionaires, diving the Musashi , Bismark, Princeton, et al and not focusing more  on a possible recovery of a US ship in extremly shallow water (20-30 feet).  With the money, clout and influence that people like Allen, Cameron, Cussler have , it could happen. I have bene "trying" over the years, but i need to be more systematic, need some help and $$$  to do so. And I really plan to get serious abouti it. need some family to  keel over , and/or a settlement to come through. I want to see it through before I die myself. Personally  i think some of the dodging is that it a Civil War ship , so there are PC issues, plus seems these guys aint "historians" as much just seeking publicity outside of a "hobby" not something serious or seeing a permanent memorial/monument/museum of naval warfare/American history .  Must be nice, but i am looking at a deeper level than that, so to speak. a dentist form Vickburg , saw the USS Cairo raised , and it is something to see, he died raising the Cairo, but the ship in Vicksburg for all to see.

Edited by Strachwitz666
  • Cool 1

[REVY]
Members
954 posts
7,535 battles
On 10/14/2017 at 11:23 AM, RipNuN2 said:

On 10/14/2017 at 0:25 PM, Strachwitz666 said:

Awesome book, "Descent into Darkness" buy it.  Written by a US diver salvaging the BB's at Pearl Harbor. will scare the crap out of you on several pages.

On 10/14/2017 at 1:53 PM, Murotsu said:

A great book on salvage is Under the Red Sea Sun Capt. Edward Ellsburg, USN (ret.)  It's a making chicken soup out of chicken $h!+ story... 

as long as we are talking books on US Navy salvage, try this:

https://www.amazon.com/Bottom-Raising-U-S-Navy-Submarine/dp/0451211510

'On the Bottom'  also by Cpt Edward Ellsburg originally published in 1929, and talks about the raising of the sunken submarine S-51