You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
bassmasta76

AA bubble mod?

14 comments in this topic

[5IN]
Members
1,790 posts
8,129 battles

Is there a mod that will show the AA bubble of a ship on the map?  I was thinking about it last night as it relates to CV play.

Right now, you have to either memorize or have a cheat sheet showing the AA ranges for each ship.  Given that this is freely available information (excluding range enhancements from signals, modules or captain skills), if such a mod did exist, it could benefit both CV players and non-CV players.  

Just curious.

B

[HINON]
Members
9,013 posts

Not that I'm aware of, but iirc the devs mentioned in a Q&A that they would think about adding that as a feature.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,831 posts
11,525 battles

A mod doing that seems like it would be a cheat. Would be cool if the devs added something to the game though, I though I was way out of AA range of a O. Rev but he shredded my planes.

Members
1,786 posts
5,663 battles

That's a cheat, this is not space rangers. This is 1940's ship's and aircraft in a battle. If they show you the air bubble, you would never fly your planes in it, so why have AA.:cap_rambo:

Members
4,538 posts
6,428 battles
8 minutes ago, Raven114 said:

That's a cheat, this is not space rangers. This is 1940's ship's and aircraft in a battle. If they show you the air bubble, you would never fly your planes in it, so why have AA.:cap_rambo:

My.....a logical thought. 

[5IN]
Members
1,790 posts
8,129 battles
46 minutes ago, Raven114 said:

37 minutes ago, dmckay said:

My.....a logical thought. 

I can see your points, however we already have many visual aids for surface ships that didnt exist in real life.  Examples being the Torpedo lead indicator, AA, secondary and detection circles around ships to name a few.

Furthermore, they are supposedly adding a radar/hydro indicators for friendly ships, why not give CVs a little love?

I wouldn't see it as a cheat though, since the data is freely available, at least in base form (excluding signals, etc.)

This was just an idea.

B

Members
4,538 posts
6,428 battles
9 minutes ago, bassmasta76 said:

I can see your points, however we already have many visual aids for surface ships that didnt exist in real life.  Examples being the Torpedo lead indicator, AA, secondary and detection circles around ships to name a few.

Furthermore, they are supposedly adding a radar/hydro indicators for friendly ships, why not give CVs a little love?

I wouldn't see it as a cheat though, since the data is freely available, at least in base form (excluding signals, etc.)

This was just an idea.

B

I understand but I am rather more a purist than many others. I know this is an arcade game but all these "aids" IMO can, and maybe have, reached a saturation point. Just my opinion....that's just me.  Some may agree some will not. I notice the trend in these video games is to make things easier.  Not sure I like this. How arcade do you want it?  We already have lots of visual aids as you say. How many more do we need?  Do they make the game better?  Things are ok now IMO. :Smile_child:

Edited by dmckay

[RKN]
Members
1,634 posts
3,364 battles

The only reason I can see for it being illegal is the fact that currently, WoWs does not display the status of enemy ships in the UI. And the fact that this could be a very subtle tell of the enemy ships build, AA, secondary, etc.

You still need to hit ships and get into their AA to do so, it won't mean that ships with AA builds won't be shooting down planes, maybe one or two less.

[5IN]
Members
1,790 posts
8,129 battles
2 minutes ago, dmckay said:

I understand but I am rather more a purist than many others. I know this is an arcade game but all these "aids" IMO can, and maybe have, reached a saturation point. Just my opinion....that's just me.  Some may agree some will not. I notice the trend in these video games is to make things easier. Not sure I like this. 

I completely understand and appreciate your thoughts, and thank you for not flaming me right off the bat for the suggestion :Smile_honoring:

4 minutes ago, megadeux said:

The only reason I can see for it being illegal is the fact that currently, WoWs does not display the status of enemy ships in the UI. And the fact that this could be a very subtle tell of the enemy ships build, AA, secondary, etc.

You still need to hit ships and get into their AA to do so, it won't mean that ships with AA builds won't be shooting down planes, maybe one or two less.

A valid point.  That said, the stat cards at the beginning of the match are a pretty good tell as well...  if the ship you are playing is mirrored on the other side, and you mouse over that ship, you can see if they are the same as you, stock, or buffed in certain areas.  That's a pretty big tell, for those players that take advantage of the info.

b

[RKN]
Members
1,634 posts
3,364 battles
Just now, bassmasta76 said:

I completely understand and appreciate your thoughts, and thank you for not flaming me right off the bat for the suggestion :Smile_honoring:

A valid point.  That said, the stat cards at the beginning of the match are a pretty good tell as well...  if the ship you are playing is mirrored on the other side, and you mouse over that ship, you can see if they are the same as you, stock, or buffed in certain areas.  That's a pretty big tell, for those players that take advantage of the info.

b

It's still annoying, currently, to play my shoukaku I have to remember about 30 ships AA ranges, I know almost all of the aproximate AA ranges of the tier 6-10 ships, so it isn't that hard, just annoying to keep it all in my head. So I would love a mod like this.

Members
1,786 posts
5,663 battles
1 hour ago, bassmasta76 said:

This was just an idea.

B

See I disagree, on a ship the Capt knows the effective distance of his AA and Secondary Battery's. Those circles are there for reference as you say this is not real life and distances in a game environment are not 3D. Also torpedo lead indicator's this is how Capt's aimed torps. Time and distance speed of the ship! They did not just guess. So again you need this for the reference we are not in a 3D environment and these things need to be there or the mechanics would not work. But they are there for your own ship not for the opposing players. And I also believe that the further down the road we go Arcade this game will loose many Historical Players. 

Edited by Raven114

[5IN]
Members
1,790 posts
8,129 battles
2 hours ago, Raven114 said:

See I disagree, on a ship the Capt knows the effective distance of his AA and Secondary Battery's. Those circles are there for reference as you say this is not real life and distances in a game environment are not 3D. Also torpedo lead indicator's this is how Capt's aimed torps. Time and distance speed of the ship! They did not just guess. So again you need this for the reference we are not in a 3D environment and these things need to be there or the mechanics would not work. But they are there for your own ship not for the opposing players. And I also believe that the further down the road we go Arcade this game will loose many Historical Players. 

Good points, all of which are fair.  

Thanks,

B

[WOLF4]
Members
173 posts
1,280 battles

Personally I feel that it would have a detrimental effect on some ships that can go full aa build or they could chose to go secondaries or buff the mains and chose captain skills that would be more about tanking. This would give them away to a CV that other wise might assume that they had a really long reaching aa and pick a different target.

Torpedo lead indicators are there to assist in aiming the torps. Even with this it's still difficult to get a big hit with them when all a ships has to do is turn or slow down or speed up lots of variables.  Honestly I personally just use them as a guide there really most useful at or under 4km and I've still had ships dodge them. I would go as far to say that some would benefit from not having it and learning to bait a ship into going where they want them.

Radar and hydro are useful.. but that's another topic for another time.