Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
LemonadeWarrior

Worst Yamato player vs UK BB

12 comments in this topic

[-AA-]
Members
1,729 posts
6,657 battles

So, as the title says I am most likely the worst Yamato player there is. How can I fight a UK battleship T9 or T10?

Yamato makes me feel like a pathetic Iowa (barely played Iowa, but I imagine this is how it is) when I have to fight one... Bouncing shells, breaking shells or an amazing 9k damage on a broadside one at range. 

Someone with some tips and tricks, perhaps a video? Much appreciated.

Greetz Joris

[SUCIT]
Members
824 posts
3,610 battles
2 hours ago, joris92 said:

So, as the title says I am most likely the worst Yamato player there is. How can I fight a UK battleship T9 or T10?

Yamato makes me feel like a pathetic Iowa (barely played Iowa, but I imagine this is how it is) when I have to fight one... Bouncing shells, breaking shells or an amazing 9k damage on a broadside one at range. 

Someone with some tips and tricks, perhaps a video? Much appreciated.

Greetz Joris

Not to be a [edited] or anything, but I feel like this is a case of "git gud".  A Yamato can easily chunk down a UK BB, broadside or not.  Their armor isn't good, and they tend to take a lot of normal pens if you know where to aim.  If you're shooting at a broadside UK BB, remember that they have lowered citadels.  You need to aim lower than you'd think to land those 14000 damage shells.   

Now if we're talking about a Conq kiting at max range with that absurd stealth, you might have a problem simply because of how stupid that ship is.  If you have a screen spotting him, its easy.  Without a screen, I wouldn't recommend taking on that fight.  

[-AA-]
Members
1,729 posts
6,657 battles
16 minutes ago, XpliCT_PaiiN said:

Not to be a [edited] or anything, but I feel like this is a case of "git gud".  A Yamato can easily chunk down a UK BB, broadside or not.  Their armor isn't good, and they tend to take a lot of normal pens if you know where to aim.  If you're shooting at a broadside UK BB, remember that they have lowered citadels.  You need to aim lower than you'd think to land those 14000 damage shells.   

Now if we're talking about a Conq kiting at max range with that absurd stealth, you might have a problem simply because of how stupid that ship is.  If you have a screen spotting him, its easy.  Without a screen, I wouldn't recommend taking on that fight.  

It's okay, I started this topic for a reason :) About what range are you talking when shooting at a broadside UK BB?

Edited by joris92

[SUCIT]
Members
824 posts
3,610 battles
2 minutes ago, joris92 said:

It's okay, I started this topic for a reason :) About what range are you talking when shooting at a broadside UK BB?

Any range.  Their citadels are actually below water, so you have to rely on plunging fire to land a citadel.  Aim at the waterline and you should land a few good hits.  UK BB's are difficult to citadel up close due to the citadel being below water, but unlike German BBs and their turtleback, it is definitely possible.  

The easiest way to see for yourself is to go in game, and look at the armor layout of the high tier UK BBs.  If you remove everything except the citadel, you'll see where you have to hit.  

[STORM]
Alpha Tester
1,018 posts
2,678 battles

I try and engage them outside of their range at 21 ish or so km. Definitely hard with accuracy but it saves me from fires.

Beta Testers
1,410 posts
On 10/14/2017 at 11:04 AM, joris92 said:

I run a 30km base range Yamato (36km with spotter craft) .. and I routinely get citadel hits on Conquerors via plunging fire in the midsection between 20 to 36km. 

... but you will never get a citadel hit on a Conq under 20km (no plunging fire, shells do not arc enough to do it). The only range to citadel a Conq under 20km is literally 10km and under..and its an irritatingly impossible shot... i've only gotten them by firing just behind the aftmost forward turret and the center of the ship and ONLY when the ship is flat broadside. 

...its like if you were a Scharnhorst trying to citadel a tier 9 BB in many ways. You have to get damn close and even then the shot is extremely tricky. Compared to how Yamato can citadel pen other ships even when angled (not flat broadside) under 10km I'd say there's no point in even trying to citadel the conq. You're better off just aiming upper side armor belt and hoping all your shells land so you can hit for nearly 20k. But then the Conq shoots you back anywhere, no aim needed.. and hits you for 20+k HE plus dual or triple fires right off the bat. Its just retarded game design. Typical of WG. 

...oh, and yes, you do need aiming mod. It makes a TON of difference. 

[-AA-]
Members
1,729 posts
6,657 battles
2 hours ago, Skyfaller said:

I run a 30km base range Yamato (36km with spotter craft) .. and I routinely get citadel hits on Conquerors via plunging fire in the midsection between 20 to 36km. 

... but you will never get a citadel hit on a Conq under 20km (no plunging fire, shells do not arc enough to do it). The only range to citadel a Conq under 20km is literally 10km and under..and its an irritatingly impossible shot... i've only gotten them by firing just behind the aftmost forward turret and the center of the ship and ONLY when the ship is flat broadside. 

...its like if you were a Scharnhorst trying to citadel a tier 9 BB in many ways. You have to get damn close and even then the shot is extremely tricky. Compared to how Yamato can citadel pen other ships even when angled (not flat broadside) under 10km I'd say there's no point in even trying to citadel the conq. You're better off just aiming upper side armor belt and hoping all your shells land so you can hit for nearly 20k. But then the Conq shoots you back anywhere, no aim needed.. and hits you for 20+k HE plus dual or triple fires right off the bat. Its just retarded game design. Typical of WG. 

...oh, and yes, you do need aiming mod. It makes a TON of difference. 

Oh okay. It was rare for me to shoot at targets at 15km+ with any ship. It is only since this week that I started firing at targets at +/- 20km with Yamato. I am using the Aiming mod + reload mod. Will try this. Also watched a vid of Flamu.

Beta Testers
1,410 posts

Yamato is excellent at long range fire. The dispersion is minimal... once you get used to the guns you will easily one shot cruisers that, at 20+km feel safe sailing broadside as they transit..and if you have your stealth down to 13km they wont see or be alerted that its a yamato targeting them. Very few cruisers have the skill that tells them when long range fire shells are coming at them..and those that do you can easily spot by how they instantly turn hard the moment you fire...when you see those, stop trying to hit them from range and find another target. 

[AXANR]
Members
3,363 posts
16,648 battles
On 10/15/2017 at 10:11 PM, 1An0maly1 said:

I try and engage them outside of their range at 21 ish or so km. Definitely hard with accuracy but it saves me from fires.

Conqueror can reach out and touch you at 24km. 

[STORM]
Alpha Tester
1,018 posts
2,678 battles
3 hours ago, poeticmotion said:

Conqueror can reach out and touch you at 24km. 

I thought the smaller guns didn't have that range.

[AXANR]
Members
3,363 posts
16,648 battles
5 minutes ago, 1An0maly1 said:

I thought the smaller guns didn't have that range.

I'll look once I'm done uploading but it's definitely in that vicinity. 24 give or take half a kilometer.

Edit: 24.3

Edited by poeticmotion

[SIDE]
Members
1,409 posts

Hey man, don’t go giving yourself too much credit. I am the worst Yamato driver in this here game. There can only be one....

Sign in to follow this