You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
zuga_01

Battleship mentality

44 comments in this topic

[NO]
Members
360 posts
13,059 battles

If the bb is angled and the cruiser is predictable hell ya. 15 km is still reliable hitting range.

• Cool 6

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,252 posts
8,566 battles
7 minutes ago, holycrazyasian said:

If the bb is angled and the cruiser is predictable hell ya. 15 km is still reliable hitting range.

I concur.

[VOC]
Beta Testers
1,124 posts
5,962 battles

So? If he gets a solid hit on a cruiser or a bounce on that battleship I would shoot at the cruiser too.. highly depends on what for a cruiser it was

[TG-38]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,279 posts
7,262 battles

Take guns out of the battle, especially HE spammers. BBs can be dealt with later. In this situation, I may fire at CA while targets secondaries on BB

Sorry, but CAs spam HE, these and DDs are priority targets. Maybe when WG gets rid of HE fire [edited] or limits it somewhat, then you'll get more of what you want.

Members
706 posts

slow BB's starts on outermost part of your spawn-point, decides totally the opposite side of your spawn-point looks better, leaves the flank they started on to move to the opposite flank and contributes little to the rest of the game other than leaving a flank weakened.

Edited by b101uk
  • Cool 2

Beta Testers
955 posts
3,281 battles

The average WoWs battleship main likely has trouble eating a bowl of cereal without spooning most of it into their ear. You can't expect much from people in a game that has been made as simple as possible in order to pander to the lowest common denominator. 

[HINON]
Members
9,013 posts
30 minutes ago, RevolutionBlues said:

The average WoWs [insert obligatory ship class you dont like into every post] main likely has trouble eating a bowl of cereal without spooning most of it into their ear. You can't expect much from people in a game that has been made as simple as possible in order to pander to the lowest common denominator. 

Translated for all. :cap_haloween:

• Cool 1

Members
4,164 posts

I see a lot of different factors in this discussion which are ignored.  Where are the ships?  Is that BB heading behind an island?  Is the BB's guns even facing the enemy BB, or does it have to traverse 180 degrees to even fire upon it?

OP, you left a lot of factors out in your criticism.

[77ARC]
Beta Testers
189 posts

Trying to impress your view of a tactical situation over another persons view of the same situation is akin to herding cats.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,830 posts
11,513 battles
4 hours ago, holycrazyasian said:

:Smile_great: Yup, this or an other number of tactical reason to prioritize targeting the cruiser over the BB.

[VVV]
Beta Testers
223 posts
1,916 battles

Odds are you aren't gonna get help from the DDs and Cruisers to keep that enemy cruiser off your back so you pretty much have to take care of business (deleting or at least driving off that cruiser before he comes in and torps you once you commit to fighting the enemy BB) before pleasure (dueling with the enemy BB).

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,442 posts
11,693 battles

Rapid firing cruisers are more of a threat than a closer battleship.

If I am 5 km from a battleship, you better believe I angled and anticipated that engagement.

*unless the battleship is British. If that is the case, I'm screwed.

[SALVO]
Members
17,031 posts
17,629 battles
46 minutes ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

:Smile_great: Yup, this or an other number of tactical reason to prioritize targeting the cruiser over the BB.

Like (first and foremost), the cruiser may be nearly dead and a single hit or a mildly decent volley of hits would sink it.  I think about the only reason that I'd prioritize a very close enemy BB over such a cruiser is if the BB was showing me a perfect broadside and my guns were ready to fire on him.  It would be hard to pass up a chance at some citadels on such a close, broadside showing enemy BB.

[HELLS]
Members
1,702 posts
15,518 battles

It is a BB's job to delete cruisers first, DDs second, BBs at leisure once the small fry have been sunk, unless a golden broadside opportunity at short to medium range is obvious, immediate and the shot with AP is already lined up. I agree with passing on the bow shot unless HE is loaded, and even then I would not bother most of the time due to autobounce and shell breakup on impact.

Members
18,173 posts
5,190 battles
4 hours ago, b101uk said:

slow BB's starts on outermost part of your spawn-point, decides totally the opposite side of your spawn-point looks better, leaves the flank they started on to move to the opposite flank and contributes little to the rest of the game other than leaving a flank weakened.

Depends on what the team does. If you spawn near A cap on Land of Fire, and your team decides it would like to cap B and C, what else are you going to do?

[PSP]
Members
6,225 posts
8,853 battles

After watching some of the better videos on battleship play, I think I'm getting better at it. It's not that I've been playing then "wrong" but I haven't been using them to full advantage either. Here are some of the main points those who are able to get multiple citadels per salvo and cause hundreds of thousands of damage points per game stress:

1. Always angle toward the greatest threats.

2. The closest ship may not be the greatest threat -- look at the direction the turrets are pointing.

3. Pick your targets wisely -- shoot at broadside ships that you can take out fast if possible.

4. Watch for torpedoes, many battleships and most non-US cruisers have torpedoes. If that cruiser 8 km away is "foolishly" turning broadside to you it's probably not because he just wants you to shoot him.

5. Don't overextend -- just because you are in a battleship doesn't mean that you will last long in a crossfire.

6. Use your repairs and heals wisely -- never repair a single fire unless you are on such low health that it will cause you to sink as fire damage usually can be completely healed. If you are on fire, look around for torpedo threats as the enemy might just be waiting to start you to flooding once you put out the fire.

8. Remember to select targets for direct fire; even if you don't have the AA direct fire module selecting a plane target still enhances damage to it (I never knew this until the Dunkirk Scenario).

9. It's not cowardly to hide behind an island or to stand off 20 km from the battle if you consistently have targets to shoot at.

10. Try to position yourself in a central location. Long-range battleships, centrally-located, can control almost the whole map.   

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 1

Members
18,173 posts
5,190 battles
4 hours ago, RevolutionBlues said:

You can't expect much from people in a game that has been made as simple as possible in order to pander to the lowest common denominator. 

Exactly. In other news, playing football after a rain shower means you're going to have to get dirty. Yet so many want to play on that field without soiling their clothes.9

Now if only a lot more good players believed you. It seems that a lot disagree with you, because they believe they CAN expect more, and all it takes to get it is gratuitous insults.

Just read any thread about in-game toxicity if you don't believe me....:Smile_teethhappy:

Members
18,173 posts
5,190 battles
5 hours ago, zuga_01 said:

aims-and-fires-at-a-cruiser-15-km-away-i

Makes sense. BB was trying to "tank" and draw attention from the CA. Enemy decided that doing something other than what their opponents wanted might be a good idea....

Edited by Skpstr

Members
541 posts
2,939 battles
4 hours ago, RevolutionBlues said:

The average WoWs battleship main likely has trouble eating a bowl of cereal without spooning most of it into their ear. You can't expect much from people in a game that has been made as simple as possible in order to pander to the lowest common denominator. 

Strong words from someone who has nothing higher than tier 8 and does poorly in the 'easy mode' BBs. But you keep telling yourself 'BB players are dumb' as you drool on yourself camping smoke and spamming HE in your Kutuzov, if it makes you feel better.

Edited by ksix
  • Cool 1

[WOLF5]
Members
1,534 posts
2,123 battles
5 hours ago, Lionel92 said:

So? If he gets a solid hit on a cruiser or a bounce on that battleship I would shoot at the cruiser too.. highly depends on what for a cruiser it was

This. The angled Bismark barely moving, or that Mogami spamming me while driving broadside on. I'm going to nuke that CA, then figure out what to do with the BB, who really can't do much to me because I'm angled too.

Obviously this doesn't apply to every situation, and in some cases (it's a tirpitz bearing down for a torp run). Making general assertions about what a ship should always do in a general situation is a sign of someone who doesn't play the ship class

• Cool 1

Members
722 posts
5,170 battles
10 hours ago, zuga_01 said:

aims-and-fires-at-a-cruiser-15-km-away-i

ikr ....Or a DD ...just thought l would throw that in there...

So many are just spamming HE anyways any target angled or not....

Edited by Furysghost

Members
2,368 posts
7,654 battles

If the BB 5km away is angled and the cruiser 15km away is broadside than yep, ill go for the cruiser.