You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Depth386

Ship Service Costs at High Tiers

34 comments in this topic

[BEAR]
Members
87 posts
3,063 battles

Is it possible to have negative credits, or does it just bottom out at 0 if you keep playing a high tier ship unprofitably? I'm just wondering.

[ARMDG]
Members
3,242 posts
1,567 battles

Eventually if you can't afford it the ship won't repair after battle.  You're gonna have to either get premium time, a premium ship, or farm lower tiers to make credits.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Beta Testers
1,684 posts
3,832 battles

The premium camo reduces the service cost by 50%. This alone would prevent you from ever losing credits since it also boosts the credit income by 20%.

Hell even in co-op you can run a profit without the need of premium time or flags, but the combination of all 3 is a 99% guarantee that you won't lose credits.

Basically you're transforming your tier 10 into a premium tier 10

Members
1,201 posts
8,185 battles
51 minutes ago, Depth386 said:

Is it possible to have negative credits, or does it just bottom out at 0 if you keep playing a high tier ship unprofitably? I'm just wondering.

The ship won't reappear in your port until you can pay the service cost, so it's not possible to just keep playing it if you're out of money.  You'll have to play a different ship to get some credits and pay the service cost to get your high-tier credit hog back.

Members
121 posts
40 minutes ago, Vader_Sama said:

The premium camo reduces the service cost by 50%. This alone would prevent you from ever losing credits since it also boosts the credit income by 20%.

Hell even in co-op you can run a profit without the need of premium time or flags, but the combination of all 3 is a 99% guarantee that you won't lose credits.

Basically you're transforming your tier 10 into a premium tier 10

It's still no where near a prem boat, My Mo still makes more which to me does not make sense. but that is how war gaming made it but yeah if you really wanna make cred you have to go prem account and prem boat.

[VOC]
Beta Testers
1,128 posts
5,976 battles

Tier 9/10 shouldn't be profitabel.. That's the intention of WG. If you want to get money out of those games you need premium/playing a really good game or a premium ship to break even or get more credits out of it. It's a business model I understand; otherwise they would sell less premium ships/premium time

Members
1,640 posts
7,479 battles
2 hours ago, Drunken_Shooter said:

It's still no where near a prem boat, My Mo still makes more which to me does not make sense. but that is how war gaming made it but yeah if you really wanna make cred you have to go prem account and prem boat.

Missouri is a unique ship with additional credit earnings over premiums implanted into your base credit value that cant be seen on the camo.

A normal T8 premium compares roughly the same to a T10 with premium camo.

Members
18,273 posts
5,224 battles
7 hours ago, Sirus_Patton said:

Eventually if you can't afford it the ship won't repair after battle.  You're gonna have to either get premium time, a premium ship, or farm lower tiers to make credits.

This. And if you somehow have all your ships in need of repair, and have 0 credits, your only options at that point are to either buy a Tier 1 ship (free) to get credits (if you have an open slot) or sell something (if you don't)

[HELLS]
Members
1,703 posts
15,580 battles
4 hours ago, TheGirlFromIpanema said:

I have 101 million credits. Why should I care of repair costs lol.

When you finally get a Tier 10 ship the hard way ( I ground mine the hard way), it costs 30 million credits to buy it, equip it, 5000 doubloons to camouflage it, and 250 doubloons to retrain a 10-point captain to command it. Tiers 9 and 10 play and premium shop sales are WG's bread and butter. Only unicum players can consistently score the minimum 110,000+ hit points in a fully equipped ship with premium consumables (with a win!) to make money in them. I own two T10 ships and am about to get a third in my port, have kept 4 T9 ships, and play only the lines I am grinding closest to T10 with any of those ships. For every game I play in Random in a T9 or T10 ship, I play at least 3 games using one of my premiums to pay for it, and I normally play for the bonus game first win only for most of the ships I play on any given day. Weekends with 100% and 200% XP rewards for the first win get my attention because I grind Elite XP as well using my three 19-point captains running the premiums to upgrade my other captains faster. Grinding the tech tree to T10 is expensive in credits for repair and consumables, even with a premium account, and I play high tier very sparingly indeed despite the fact that I have a 200 million credit reserve (that I earned in the game-while I occassionally buy doubloons out of necessity, I have never bought credits-I have bought flag signals but most of my flags I win in the game in containers, missions and challenges). There is absolutely no point in complaining about it because this game is a business. I have just as much fun playing mid-tier ships as anyone. A lot of players without my modest resources play without premium time or premium ships that they did not win or earn in the game, and some of them are unicum players. I lift my hat to those who can do it consistently!

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,166 posts
14,583 battles
9 hours ago, Sirus_Patton said:

Pretty much.  Unless you're a consistently good player getting good results at high tier, you may barely make a profit, if at all.  The route Sirus_Patton said about playing lower tiers to fund your high tier play is a practice used even before the economy was improved.  Just understand some classes don't generate the credits as well as in high tier (CVs).

There's also the Perma-Camo for high tier ships, especially for the Tier X's to reduce your costs, but that can be real money involved and those aren't cheap.

1 hour ago, GrandAdmiral_2016 said:

When you finally get a Tier 10 ship the hard way ( I ground mine the hard way), it costs 30 million credits to buy it, equip it, 5000 doubloons to camouflage it, and 250 doubloons to retrain a 10-point captain to command it. Tiers 9 and 10 play and premium shop sales are WG's bread and butter. Only unicum players can consistently score the minimum 110,000+ hit points in a fully equipped ship with premium consumables (with a win!) to make money in them. I own two T10 ships and am about to get a third in my port, have kept 4 T9 ships, and play only the lines I am grinding closest to T10 with any of those ships. For every game I play in Random in a T9 or T10 ship, I play at least 3 games using one of my premiums to pay for it, and I normally play for the bonus game first win only for most of the ships I play on any given day. Weekends with 100% and 200% XP rewards for the first win get my attention because I grind Elite XP as well using my three 19-point captains running the premiums to upgrade my other captains faster. Grinding the tech tree to T10 is expensive in credits for repair and consumables, even with a premium account, and I play high tier very sparingly indeed despite the fact that I have a 200 million credit reserve (that I earned in the game-while I occassionally buy doubloons out of necessity, I have never bought credits-I have bought flag signals but most of my flags I win in the game in containers, missions and challenges). There is absolutely no point in complaining about it because this game is a business. I have just as much fun playing mid-tier ships as anyone. A lot of players without my modest resources play without premium time or premium ships that they did not win or earn in the game, and some of them are unicum players. I lift my hat to those who can do it consistently!

It's very natural for a lot of decent players for Tier VIII and below to have WR% in their Tier IX-X ships floating in the 45-50% bracket.  So the costs tally up for the typical player unless they find a footing to do more winning.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Members
9,980 posts
7 hours ago, Lionel92 said:

Tier 9/10 shouldn't be profitabel.. That's the intention of WG. If you want to get money out of those games you need premium/playing a really good game or a premium ship to break even or get more credits out of it. It's a business model I understand; otherwise they would sell less premium ships/premium time

Just because they've chosen that business model doesn't mean it was a good idea.

They have player retention problems for a reason.....

• Cool 4

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,191 posts
18,924 battles
7 hours ago, TheGirlFromIpanema said:

I have 101 million credits. Why should I care of repair costs lol.

See, even the poor people can afford playing higher tiers. :Smile_hiding:

I manage at least to break even with ships that need a high number of premium consumables. Premium time makes a big difference. Higher tiers aren’t really made for grinding credits. People should go back to mid tiers to grind their money, buy premium camo for their high tier ships or use premium ships. Also: get the Missouri and print your own credits.

[OO7]
Members
2,092 posts
8,210 battles
7 hours ago, Lionel92 said:

71E6EE0E-1DBE-4B26-A586-CC3DBBC8862A.jpeg

[BEAR]
Members
87 posts
3,063 battles

Well thanks for the info guys. I have more or less been equal leveling all the 8 original lines (DD CL/CA BB CV for USN and IJN) but yeah it appears that once the modules are all researched (including next ship) it makes sense to use even lower tier ships and be a seal clubber for maximum credit gain.

Is there info on average credit earnings for ships? I mean like a real chart, not just a few anecdotes such as "Moneyssouri"

[PVE]
Members
5,643 posts
18,236 battles

IMHO tier 8 and 9 is where you want to play in PvP. Farming rewards and working through the two campaigns that you must use tier 8's or higher to complete. I plan on grinding thru my 9's and buying tier 10 ships but they will rot in port. Gameplay at that level is stale, boring, and most definitely unprofitable without paying $20 for stinking camo. I plan on just leaving the 10's in port and when the yearly giveaways come around, collect the rewards for owning them. Not going to play them, not going to upgrade them, not buying camo for them, and not putting upgrades on them. Once I have finished the campaigns, not going to bother playing PvP at all as it is just an awful experience especially at high tier. 

[VOC]
Beta Testers
1,128 posts
5,976 battles
On 14-10-2017 at 7:16 PM, awiggin said:

Just because they've chosen that business model doesn't mean it was a good idea.

Its a company, a company has to Make profit to excist in the future. World of tanks and world of warships are free to play. You don't have to spend money to play these games. WG also give you the oppertunity to get free premiums..

Members
821 posts
3,891 battles

Ship Service Costs at High Tiers  :Smile_teethhappy: 

Congrats, you found the hook. The way i look at it, past Tier 7, you can forget it without premium time, you'll run out of credits, And to make any past 7, you'll need premium time and premium ships. That Tier 8 Bismarck will teach you quick.

Also play testing and such , they help. That is another way. I have tried several times over the earlier months, I was playing to set up a PT account, but never to have that dang Russia server to be working after loading everything, away a glitch , IDK. Strike four, I quit.

Members
825 posts
13,665 battles
On 10/15/2017 at 4:43 AM, Depth386 said:

Well thanks for the info guys. I have more or less been equal leveling all the 8 original lines (DD CL/CA BB CV for USN and IJN) but yeah it appears that once the modules are all researched (including next ship) it makes sense to use even lower tier ships and be a seal clubber for maximum credit gain.

Is there info on average credit earnings for ships? I mean like a real chart, not just a few anecdotes such as "Moneyssouri"

The cash gain is probably fairly linear with XP. So higher tiers earn more, but you have the repair cost ofc.

You lose money at T8,9, and 10 usually. Unless you are premium.

5 to 7 seems to be where the money making is. So it kinda depends if you have any premium ship in that bracket, and in which ship you do well.

the gain below 4 is too low to be really worth it imo.

You can check the XP gain for ships, for each tier. Might help

Edited by PicknChew

Members
18,273 posts
5,224 battles
On 14/10/2017 at 1:16 PM, awiggin said:

Doesn't mean the reason is their business model.

Maybe the issue isn't so much the Tier 8/9 paywall, but the gameplay on the other side not being worth crossing it.

[BEAR]
Members
87 posts
3,063 battles
On 10/16/2017 at 8:03 AM, Skpstr said:

Doesn't mean the reason is their business model.

Maybe the issue isn't so much the Tier 8/9 paywall, but the gameplay on the other side not being worth crossing it.

Well I'm grinding all the nation-lines and I'd like to see all the ships.

I bought 2 premium ships to show some support for the game, so that's around $50 or $60 but there's no way I'm buying premium time. I can't get enough battles in on any one day to justify it. It's life.

Sounds like I'm gonna re-buy the Clemson, Isokaze, keep the Orion... and do a lot of dirty seal clubbing to earn the credits.

They can nerf T4 CVs but whats next, prevent players with certain #'s of battles and/or win rate from owning and playing tier 4 ships?

Maybe I'll even pick up a Tier 3 Derpzki again lol

Members
18,273 posts
5,224 battles
56 minutes ago, Depth386 said:

Well I'm grinding all the nation-lines and I'd like to see all the ships.

I bought 2 premium ships to show some support for the game, so that's around $50 or $60 but there's no way I'm buying premium time. I can't get enough battles in on any one day to justify it. It's life.

Sounds like I'm gonna re-buy the Clemson, Isokaze, keep the Orion... and do a lot of dirty seal clubbing to earn the credits.

They can nerf T4 CVs but whats next, prevent players with certain #'s of battles and/or win rate from owning and playing tier 4 ships?

Maybe I'll even pick up a Tier 3 Derpzki again lol

I'm in the same boat, (lol) except I buy doubloons for retraining and demounting. I prefer T5-6 for grinding credits though, as I have the  opportunity to earn more. Can't do it with just any Tier 5-6 though, it needs to uptier well. (KBerg is my favorite)

I play a bit of T3-4, but I find that, due to the lower damage done, the lower available HP pools, and the protected MM, they don't earn enough to rely on them for credit gain.

Members
9,434 posts
11,601 battles
On 10/14/2017 at 9:39 AM, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Pretty much.  Unless you're a consistently good player getting good results at high tier, you may barely make a profit, if at all.  The route Sirus_Patton said about playing lower tiers to fund your high tier play is a practice used even before the economy was improved.  Just understand some classes don't generate the credits as well as in high tier (CVs).

There's also the Perma-Camo for high tier ships, especially for the Tier X's to reduce your costs, but that can be real money involved and those aren't cheap.

It's very natural for a lot of decent players for Tier VIII and below to have WR% in their Tier IX-X ships floating in the 45-50% bracket.  So the costs tally up for the typical player unless they find a footing to do more winning.

T10 has the most OP ships with ability to carry teams if played well.   it does benefit better players because of that capability.   my t10 WR is higher than any other tiers for what its worth.