You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Snargfargle

Dark Matter and Firefly

6 comments in this topic

[PSP]
Members
6,307 posts
8,930 battles

I've been watching Dark Matter lately and can't help get the impression that it's pretty much Firefly recast. Anyone else who has watched these two shows get that impression? 

Beta Testers
9,101 posts

Can't say.  Firefly is more or less a working business, while Dark Matter is straight out of the Most Wanted List of mass murderers, terrorists and criminals, with the unfortunately circumstance of having amnesia and their pasts catching up with them.  They have different economic and social spheres to work on.

From this, Firefly has a more definite Western in Space vibe for me, while Dark Matter is more like crooks on the run in space.

Westerns in space goes all the way back.  Like the anime Crusher Joe, where one of the mechs in the series gets copied into Battletech as the Locust.

Edited by Eisennagel

[WOLF1]
Members
123 posts
32,549 battles

I wouldn't say that Dark Matter is "Firefly recast", but I agree that there are some common elements ( A kind of misfit, anti-hero crew, sailing around and getting into trouble on the wrong side of the law, and, frequently, swimming in water that's a little over the head). Pity that Dark Matter was cancelled...with all the drek on television, this was one of the few shows that could hold my attention for an hour.

Members
448 posts
7,474 battles
46 minutes ago, oldblackdog said:

I wouldn't say that Dark Matter is "Firefly recast", but I agree that there are some common elements ( A kind of misfit, anti-hero crew, sailing around and getting into trouble on the wrong side of the law, and, frequently, swimming in water that's a little over the head). Pity that Dark Matter was cancelled...with all the drek on television, this was one of the few shows that could hold my attention for an hour.

Was it cancelled? That stinks...it wasn't a great show IMO but it was watchable and had a few interesting characters and plotlines.

Fortunately we still have The Expanse, which has some outlaw Firefly/Dark Matter elements and might be the best sci-fi series since the Battlestar Galactica reboot.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
9,101 posts

Damn, it was cancelled.  That sucks utterly... I hope some streaming service can pick it up.  I thought it would survive --- the Expanse still hanging in there and Killjoys, the other dark antihero space series getting two but final seasons.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,413 posts
9,589 battles
3 hours ago, Dr_Powderfinger said:

Was it cancelled? That stinks...it wasn't a great show IMO but it was watchable and had a few interesting characters and plotlines.

Fortunately we still have The Expanse, which has some outlaw Firefly/Dark Matter elements and might be the best sci-fi series since the Battlestar Galactica reboot.

I was looking at 'The Expanse' as well..  I'm considering getting the first two seasons on DVD from Ebay.  Love the gritty realism.