Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
BlailBlerg

Fletcher modules?

reloads?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. reload slot

2. 2. attack slot

3. 3. 19 capt points? (PT, LS, SE, CE, BFT, AR = 15)

4. 4. Should I get the GFCS at all?

23 comments in this topic

[FAE]
Members
2,160 posts
2,630 battles

Reduce reload or reduce torp-reload?? 

Edited by BlailBlerg

[PSP]
Members
6,229 posts
8,857 battles

The Fletcher is more of a gunship than a torpedo boat -- go with enhancing the guns. With the enhancement and adrenaline rush, the thing really rains down the fire if you lose most of your hit-points. I've reduced full-health battleships to cinders with guns only in the duration of a single smoke.

[OSG]
Beta Testers
1,354 posts
14,793 battles

I think the Fletcher is by far best played as a torpedo boat given it can launch 10 fairly high speed/high damage torps that go 10.5 km and which you can reload every 81 seconds with the reduce torp reload module.  That, combined with 5.8km concealment and excellent smoke make it a really good torpedo boat that can help your team with excellent smoke as well.  And it still will have fast enough reload to either protect itself if need be or to finish off an opponent who is hurt.  I almost never fire guns when i could get lit since that doesn't play to it's build strength and at any distance it's guns have a bit of arc.  Also, it has fairly good AA for a DD which comes in handy when a CV wants to keep pestering you.

P.S.  The Fletcher is the ship I have played the most (over 1000 battles) and it is still great fun.  If you want a good DD gunboat, the RUs are the best at that imo.

[INTEL]
Members
8,573 posts
25,660 battles

I'm with Merc (me with 650 games in Fletch). Fletch is a torp boat with excellent guns. Spec for torps, the gun ROF is good enough for any knife fight, and having torps up when you need them is paramount. I run AFT so I can torment tanking BBs by raining shells on them from a vast distance, a BB is large enough to hit at 15 kms even with those shell arcs.

Beta Testers
6,868 posts
4,189 battles

It's a torp boat. Plan accordingly.

You're missing manual AA on your list. Much hilarity can be had by popping aircraft. As a bonus most CV will pretty much give up spotting or striking a Fletcher one they figure out he's running defensive fire and MAA.

RPF can be very good, it's not a bad ship to learn to use it effectively.

I don't find much value in PT for a DD. If you're spotted assume anyone with a pulse is rotating their turrets your direction.

Members
1,154 posts
6,917 battles

Yea, the guns are good enough that you dont need the faster reload speed.  The torps are great on the fletcher, so knocking reload down on them is really useful. 

I will say though, the fletcher all around is great.  Which means specing into better guns, better AA, or better torps are all good options depending on your play style and who you play with. 

If you are a believer  that RPF is useful, then it is not bad to have. 

[KNTAI]
[KNTAI]
Members
780 posts
6,663 battles

Fletcher is more of a torpedo boat than a gun boat. If you want guns, grab the Gearing. I would take everything that reduces torpedo reload, such as TAE, the torpedo reload module, and AR. BFT can essentially be replaced by AR since you get the same reload reduction at 50% HP. You might also want to swap out PT for PM because the torpedo reload mod will reduce the durability of your torpedo tubes, so that skill offsets this downside somewhat.

[FAE]
Members
2,160 posts
2,630 battles

How much does the -7 dispersion module help?  Espcially if I have poor/mediocre aim? (health issue).

[SEP]
Members
3,723 posts
14,941 battles

I got mine set up for the lowest gun reload possible just because, but she is mothballed ever since I got the Gearing.

3 minutes ago, BlailBlerg said:

How much does the -7 dispersion module help?  Espcially if I have poor/mediocre aim? (health issue).

About 7%. No, seriously, there is a noticeable difference. It won't fix your poor aim though.

Edited by m373x

Beta Testers
6,868 posts
4,189 battles

You don't want to use your guns much in a Fletcher.  The dispersion mod isn't a great choice, it's a tiny buff to a backup weapon. There AA is fantastic for making sure you're not getting screwed by the potato CV on your team.

Members
7,047 posts
4,534 battles

I voted what I take, but the way you equip the Fletcher depends heavily on your playstyle. For example, I use the guns on the Fletcher a lot, for fighting DDs and for setting fires; hence I take the gun module. For the captain skills, I take TAE and PT, because PT reduces the chances of your torpedo tubes being broken, and TAE increases your torpedo damage output, but if you play with a very gun-focused playstyle, DE would be worth taking, while SI would be great if you division a lot. 

For the other upgrade slot, I would definitely say the AA module - it helps quite a lot when you face carriers, and the -7% dispersion is not noticeable at all on a destroyer. 

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,826 posts
9,575 battles

Since 6.3, the guns are purely decorative on the Fletcher. The only people who run the fire control upgrade are the people who don't understand the game mechanics. The only ships you will win a gunfight against are IJN DDs.

Nowadays, Fletcher is Torpedoes, torpedoes, and more torpedoes. Gun builds died with 6.3.

Edited by HazardDrake
  • Cool 2

[TF-64]
Members
372 posts
12,781 battles

Gotta go with playstyle dictates all with the Fletcher. Find what works for you. I've changed out modules a couple of times to see what fits for me. I ran full torp spec for a while and it worked good but tried a full gunboats again and my winrate ticked up a bit. Found a full gunboats fit my style a bit more so I could bully a cap a bit better. She adapts to your own style more than any other boat in the game. And if it works for you, it ain't wrong. And don't be afraid to try a new setup. 

Beta Testers
6,868 posts
4,189 battles
5 minutes ago, Slightlyaskewed said:

Gotta go with playstyle dictates all with the Fletcher. Find what works for you. I've changed out modules a couple of times to see what fits for me. I ran full torp spec for a while and it worked good but tried a full gunboats again and my winrate ticked up a bit. Found a full gunboats fit my style a bit more so I could bully a cap a bit better. She adapts to your own style more than any other boat in the game. And if it works for you, it ain't wrong. And don't be afraid to try a new setup. 

You can play any way you want. Take Fire takeoff and tail gunner skills on your Fletcher for all I care.  The OP is obviously asking about how to play the Fletcher to it's full potential.

To that end there is flexibility around which skills you think help you do that, but there is absolutely no flexibility about torp vs gun focus.  If you want guns the Udaloi is a fantastic ship. If you're playing the Fletcher you're doing it for the torps and USN smokes for your team.

Fletcher as a cap bully died with the KM DDs.  You can and should try to cap, but your job if you run into a KM DD on a cap is to run away and spam F3 on it.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,826 posts
9,575 battles
29 minutes ago, Grizley said:

You can play any way you want. Take Fire takeoff and tail gunner skills on your Fletcher for all I care.  The OP is obviously asking about how to play the Fletcher to it's full potential.

To that end there is flexibility around which skills you think help you do that, but there is absolutely no flexibility about torp vs gun focus.  If you want guns the Udaloi is a fantastic ship. If you're playing the Fletcher you're doing it for the torps and USN smokes for your team.

Fletcher as a cap bully died with the KM DDs.  You can and should try to cap, but your job if you run into a KM DD on a cap is to run away and spam F3 on it.

Pretty much. Just finished a game where my Z-23 and a Kiev contested the cap at the start against their two Fletchers. With Kievs guns and my Hydo, it was like beating a 4-year old with a baseball bat.

[FAE]
Members
2,160 posts
2,630 battles

im finding i wish i had more gun power... though the fire angles on the fletcher arent that great

dont really seem to hit anythign with torps at all. 

seems like the game has killed off torps AND DD guns altogether. 

Members
1,201 posts
8,185 battles

I tricked out my Fletcher for torpedoes and AA performance.  Don't underestimate how nice it is to have decent AA on a destroyer.  Most CV players leave me alone after one strike attempt costs them 5 or 6 planes and no catapult fighter can spot me for more than a few seconds.

I disagree with the statement that Fletcher's guns are "purely decorative," even with my build that doesn't bother to buff them.  They still have very fast traverse speed and quite respectable DPM.  It's not really profitable to try and focus on knife fighting other DD's, but I still often get a lot of damage by shelling targets of opportunity.  If you're fairly sure you won't take immediate retaliation and there's a CA or BB giving you a look at its superstructure within 12 km, there's no reason not to lob a couple dozen shells at it.  It adds up.

Most of my damage does come from torpedoes, though.  Fletcher's are very good and you probably want to prioritize reloading them as fast as possible.

Beta Testers
6,868 posts
4,189 battles
7 minutes ago, Vaidency said:

I tricked out my Fletcher for torpedoes and AA performance.  Don't underestimate how nice it is to have decent AA on a destroyer.  Most CV players leave me alone after one strike attempt costs them 5 or 6 planes and no catapult fighter can spot me for more than a few seconds.

I disagree with the statement that Fletcher's guns are "purely decorative," even with my build that doesn't bother to buff them.  They still have very fast traverse speed and quite respectable DPM.  It's not really profitable to try and focus on knife fighting other DD's, but I still often get a lot of damage by shelling targets of opportunity.  If you're fairly sure you won't take immediate retaliation and there's a CA or BB giving you a look at its superstructure within 12 km, there's no reason not to lob a couple dozen shells at it.  It adds up.

Most of my damage does come from torpedoes, though.  Fletcher's are very good and you probably want to prioritize reloading them as fast as possible.

The time for fighting other DDs is when you're full health and they're low.

Some positions are good to use guns, mostly not.  The torps and spotting for your team is almost always better.  Given the option to smoke up and do 20k with your guns, or smoke up a Des Moines and have him rip off 60k while you spot... take the latter every time.  You can still pop in and out of the smoke to break any detection, but it's really for the squishy cruiser support.  The guns aren't decorative, so much as highly situational.  It's almost never worth shooting them if it will get you spotted, your job is stay alive, cap, spot, and stall pushes with torps.  All of those work better when you aren't spotted.

Totally agree on the value of a DD with AA though.  Generally DDs are the easiest and safest targets to strike, and can be killed just by hovering empty bombers over them.  Good luck playing that game with an AA spec Fletcher.  You can spot them, but you'll pay for that.  

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
3,000 posts
13,665 battles

There is no wrong answer, Fletcher is a very versatile ship and can fulfill any DD role.

Not sure why you are struggling to land torps as detection range is good. The stock torps are quite slow though so you need to anticipate enemy movement more. Without seeing replays it's hard to suggest improvements but a couple of basic tips, 1) upgrade them to the Mk16 mod 1's as soon as you can, and 2) Stealth approach is key, don't advertise you are in the area prior to your torps getting within detection range.

[FAE]
Members
2,160 posts
2,630 battles

hmm, i have both upgraded and im entirely never detected, and launching form like 6.5 km. seems like they just easily turn away each time. 

When do people ever fire large spreads by the way? 

(Only heard of it on 3x3 fubuki, 1 wide, 2 narrow)

Members
3,415 posts
8,276 battles

MAM1, AA gun mod 1, Torps mod, Def AA fire mod 1, Prop mod 2, Conceal mod 1

Defensive AA fire II

Sierra Mike signal AKA speed flag

PT, PM, AR, LS, TAE, BFT (or maybe SE), Sup, CE   If you like RL/RPF then trade PT and BFT for it.

Standard Mod 1 GFCS

Edited by lemekillmister

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,404 posts
3,583 battles

I run full Torp build 

Personally I would remove BFT  and replace with SI and DE 

Sign in to follow this