Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
_RC1138

Buy Your (non-USN) Tier 10's Now (and here's why)

18 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

1,579
[5BS]
Members
4,766 posts

Rev up those calculators let's do some money-math.

Here's why you should buy your tier X's and Tier iX's right now (assuming these are to be 'keepers' that you outfit with all upgrade slots). Assuming you have no stored upgrades (dismounted or earned), it is more economical to buy a Tier IX and Tier X right now than it is to wait for a dedicated Tier IX or Tier X sale.

Upgrades are priced as follows:

Slot 1: 125,000

Slot 2: 500,000

Slot 3: 3,000,000

Slot 4: 250,000

Slot 5: 1,000,000

Slot 6: 2,000,000

For a total price of 6,875,000

At a discount rate of 50% for all upgrades, this drops down to 3,437,500. So if you were, today, to equip a 'naked' Tier IX/X, it would cost you 3,437,500 to full equip it. Given that it's 50% off, that means the savings is also 3,437,500.

"But hold on," I hear you say, "Tier IX and X are discounted for USN sure, but surely this is worth waiting for other lines should I want one of those instead."

Well it turns out, no, it's best *not* to wait and here's why. Looking back at tree-ship discounts, it's clear that Tier VIII-Tier X are always discounted at a 15% rate. The most expensive ship in the game is the Tier X CV's at 21,800,000 each. At 15% discount these reduce to 18,530,000 each, for a net savings of 3,270,000. That means through a ship discount in the Tier VIII-Tier X range, the maximum savings from discounts you can *ever* have, as a raw number (not a percentage) is 3,270,000. But meanwhile, the savings from buying a full set of tier IX/X upgrades is 3,437,500, or 167,500 more savings than the ship discount.

So why buy now? When it only saves ~168,000 credits? Because the obvious answer, right, is to just wait till your desired Tier IX/X ships are *also* on discount when an upgrade discount is in effect? Well the problem with that is, from looking back pretty carefully at major events, this has happened a total of twice before; once with German CL/CA's with a coinciding Tier IX/X discount, and once with Soviet Destroyers and a Tier IX/X discount. Otherwise it's always been one or the other. So yes, this is *prime* time to buy any and all 'keeper' USN Warships (CA/DD's), as this is *exceedingly* rare, but for other Nations/Classes, As it turns out, it is actually pretty rare to see a Tier VIII-Tier X discount, and finding it to *also* coincide with an upgrade discount is, essentially, unheard of. As such, given the higher value (in raw 'money') of an upgrade discount vs. Ship discounts, one should prioritize the purchasing of the highest two tier ships *specifically* when there is an upgrade discount.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
634
[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,831 posts
1,327 battles
5 minutes ago, HazardDrake said:

*Swims laps in his money bin of WoWS silver, buys things at full price.*

Makes me think of Scrooge McDuck 'swimming' in his vault...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
9,434 posts
11,601 battles

if you don't mind spending a few gold, you can take it off in your existing ships to buy ones that you are short of.      for 2 or  3mil mod, spending 50 gold isnt' so bad.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,378
[RLGN]
Members
8,243 posts
17,255 battles
21 minutes ago, HazardDrake said:

*Swims laps in his money bin of WoWS silver, buys things at full price.*

 

15 minutes ago, mavfin87 said:

Makes me think of Scrooge McDuck 'swimming' in his vault...

 

Nijia'd; was just thinking this...

 

555,786,422 silver... I think I'm good.

 

Not interested in tier 9-10s anyway; beyond the ones I already have.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,936 posts
33 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

 

 

Not interested in tier 9-10s anyway; beyond the ones I already have.

 

But you sure are interested in reminding us of this every chance you get.

 

Seems tX obsesses you either way.

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,262
[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,797 posts
15,191 battles

410,000,000 credits, and nothing worth buying, (LOL!).

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
432
[FAE]
Members
2,161 posts
2,635 battles

ugh, but spend 50k free exp??  =/ 

 

Maybe I will bite and buy my Fletcher... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,378
[RLGN]
Members
8,243 posts
17,255 battles
2 hours ago, why_u_heff_to_be_mad said:

But you sure are interested in reminding us of this every chance you get.

 

Seems tX obsesses you either way.

 

No reason to deny the reminding bit; but the only ship that ever really interested me at tier X wound up doing nothing more than teach me I don't belong there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
486
[FML]
Members
1,752 posts
10,126 battles
4 hours ago, _RC1138 said:

Rev up those calculators let's do some money-math.

Here's why you should buy your tier X's and Tier iX's right now (assuming these are to be 'keepers' that you outfit with all upgrade slots). Assuming you have no stored upgrades (dismounted or earned), it is more economical to buy a Tier IX and Tier X right now than it is to wait for a dedicated Tier IX or Tier X sale.

Upgrades are priced as follows:

Slot 1: 125,000

Slot 2: 500,000

Slot 3: 3,000,000

Slot 4: 250,000

Slot 5: 1,000,000

Slot 6: 2,000,000

For a total price of 6,875,000

At a discount rate of 50% for all upgrades, this drops down to 3,437,500. So if you were, today, to equip a 'naked' Tier IX/X, it would cost you 3,437,500 to full equip it. Given that it's 50% off, that means the savings is also 3,437,500.

"But hold on," I hear you say, "Tier IX and X are discounted for USN sure, but surely this is worth waiting for other lines should I want one of those instead."

Well it turns out, no, it's best *not* to wait and here's why. Looking back at tree-ship discounts, it's clear that Tier VIII-Tier X are always discounted at a 15% rate. The most expensive ship in the game is the Tier X CV's at 21,800,000 each. At 15% discount these reduce to 18,530,000 each, for a net savings of 3,270,000. That means through a ship discount in the Tier VIII-Tier X range, the maximum savings from discounts you can *ever* have, as a raw number (not a percentage) is 3,270,000. But meanwhile, the savings from buying a full set of tier IX/X upgrades is 3,437,500, or 167,500 more savings than the ship discount.

So why buy now? When it only saves ~168,000 credits? Because the obvious answer, right, is to just wait till your desired Tier IX/X ships are *also* on discount when an upgrade discount is in effect? Well the problem with that is, from looking back pretty carefully at major events, this has happened a total of twice before; once with German CL/CA's with a coinciding Tier IX/X discount, and once with Soviet Destroyers and a Tier IX/X discount. Otherwise it's always been one or the other. So yes, this is *prime* time to buy any and all 'keeper' USN Warships (CA/DD's), as this is *exceedingly* rare, but for other Nations/Classes, As it turns out, it is actually pretty rare to see a Tier VIII-Tier X discount, and finding it to *also* coincide with an upgrade discount is, essentially, unheard of. As such, given the higher value (in raw 'money') of an upgrade discount vs. Ship discounts, one should prioritize the purchasing of the highest two tier ships *specifically* when there is an upgrade discount.

 

Good point. But, as the Taco Girl says, "why not both"?

 

Given these things come around from time to time, why not use the tier 9/10 ship sale, buy the ships, don't fit them out, then when there is a module sale, but the modules, and save 6 mil credits a pop? Sure, it means more waiting, but it also means your cash balance has recover. 

 

Good things come to those who wait. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
725
[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles
3 minutes ago, awildpervert said:

So close to trashcant, well i heard she is improved.

Khab was also recently "improved." 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
286
[NGA]
Members
1,286 posts
7,811 battles

I've run out of credits and I started at 36M yesterday morning. On the plus side the only tier VIII+ I've yet to finish equipping are Gearing (which I just bought) and Enterprise. The rest have their 2nd, 3rd, 5th, and 6th slots filled. The first slot is so inexpensive I don't mind paying full price and the fourth is reserved for consumable upgrades. So I need to earn about 10M by Sunday. Fortunately, I have Saturday and Sunday off from work and both Kutuzov and Tirpitz are ready for action.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
243
[WOLF5]
Members
1,140 posts
8,364 battles

You're right - certainly about T9-10, but also about some others.

 

I did a similar analysis, and posted about it, a while back.  The key calculation was "Module savings as percentage of total possible savings."  I.e., if you buy the ship on sale (at 50/30/15% discount depending on tier) AND mount all the modules at 50% discount, that is clearly best, but if you only buy the modules on sale while spending full price for the ship, what percentage of the total possible savings do you reap anyway?  The answer depends on tier, and is fairly non-linear.

 

The example percentages shown here are for the USN CA line; other lines will be somewhat different, but I think the relationships between tiers should be relatively stable:

 

Tier II: 64%

Tier III: 59%

Tier IV: 34%

Tier V: 37%

Tier VI: 51%

Tier VII: 36%

Tier VIII: 59%

Tier IX: 63%

Tier X: 54%

 

TLDR: all else being equal, splurge on your Tier IXs and Tier IIs now to take advantage of the module sale, followed by Tiers III, VIII, and X.  It is relatively better to hold off on Tiers IV, V, and VII - buying the ship itself on sale is much more significant at those tiers.  Tier VI is basically a pick-em.

Edited by Lillehuntrix

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×