Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
HeathenForay

This could be the worst...

21 comments in this topic

[-WTP-]
[-WTP-]
Members
511 posts
5,620 battles

...map mode I've ever experienced. Tears of the Deserts, epicenter etc etc all the ones people harp on being absolute hell I've adapted to and don't think they're so bad. But this, this was without a doubt the most stagnate terrible game I've ever had. So bad I'm actually motivated enough to share it. Mistakes were made, this isn't a F-my-team-F-cowards-campers thread. I'm not even upset, I'm just stunned. I'm not an indecisive person, but for the first time since my NOOB days I had no idea what to do with myself, none. I'm just like nope, ouch, nope, ouch, torps, torps, ouch, plane spotted, plane spotted, ouch nope, torps, nope, dead lmbo...ayeee

Red knocked out a few of our guys early, and making the uncharacteristically smart move, just chilled. It's just there's no incentive to move, none. Maybe I'm tired. Maybe it's one of those days. I usually just say meh, and move on, but this one left me gawking at my screen and question how I've used my time today lol

Capture5e.jpg

Beta Testers
1,168 posts
8,147 battles
4 minutes ago, Fog_Repair_Ship_Akashi said:

Due there is no worse map and type combination than than Tears of the Desert + Epicenter mode.

Amen, and i would expand that to ___________ + Epicenter mode

Edited by Spooooooooooooooooooooon
  • Cool 1

Members
566 posts
1,895 battles
55 minutes ago, Spooooooooooooooooooooon said:

I would agree totally Mr Sp 0e21:Smile_coin:

• Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
8,297 posts
17,360 battles

I guess I've 'gown up,' 'graduated,' or 'moved on to better things...'

I no longer coinsider Strait to be the 'map from hell' it once was; and now pretty much agree 'Tears of the Cruisers; Epicenter-flavored,' is about as bad as anything can get.

Don't even mind 'Islands of Ice' any more; which I used to loathe; but still consider 'Shatter' a hell map as well. I utterly despise Shatter; the thing is, I like to old version better.

[SALVO]
Members
17,139 posts
17,811 battles
16 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

I guess I've 'gown up,' 'graduated,' or 'moved on to better things...'

I no longer coinsider Strait to be the 'map from hell' it once was; and now pretty much agree 'Tears of the Cruisers; Epicenter-flavored,' is about as bad as anything can get.

Don't even mind 'Islands of Ice' any more; which I used to loathe; but still consider 'Shatter' a hell map as well. I utterly despise Shatter; the thing is, I like to old version better.

EP, I dislike the Islands of Ice (which I'll just call "Ice") map.  But it's not because the map is really that bad.  No.  What I dislike about it is that I remember the 2 previous versions of Islands of Ice which I considered to be much, much better than the current one.  The current version of Ice is boring to me because it's just like just about every other high tier map that's either N/S oriented or E/W oriented (by the team spawns; Ice is an E/W oriented map in this regard). 

IMO, the original version of Ice was a much, much more interesting map.  Now, IIRC, a big reason that Ice was changed to the current version is that people supposedly complained that it was too big.  Too big, huh.  Well, the devs could have fixed that by just cropping either of the 2 previous versions by losing the AB rows and the 1/2 columns of the maps, and presto-change, a smaller map.  

Heck, given how vastly different the current version of Ice is from the first two versions, I don't know for the life of me why the devs didn't just use the new version of Ice as a completely new map with a different name, and just tweak the "too large" version of Ice to be smaller.

Anyways...

I also hate Tear/Epicenter.  I'm not one to hate maps, but that's one I hate and I don't really dislike Epicenter mode itself.  I just believe that the combination of Tears and Epicenter with the Epi caps inside that ring of tall islands makes for an utterly atrocious map/mode combo.  The best game I think I ever had on that map was in my Shimmy where I worked the outside edge of the epi caps in the SW area, and ravaged the SE spawning team's BBs in that area.

I'm also not a fan of Shatter.  Absolutely terrible map.   For the time being, I'm convinced that the map designers for this game don't have a clue how to create a good naval combat map.  They keep barfing out these crap maps that are nothing but a strip of islands between wide swaths of open ocean where the teams spawn.

As for Strait, the map itself is generally fine.  What's bad about that map are the spawns and how they incentivize a terrible player behavior of trying to merge the team on one size of the map.  What I'd prefer to see Strait be like would be similar to how its Ranked battles spawn and cap layout.  Have the two teams spawning in the NE and SW.  Have the domination caps be exactly like they were in ranked.  Or for Standard battles, perhaps put the caps either where the current dom mode A and C caps are, or possibly put them in the NW and SE, i.e. the corners of the map where the ships are not spawned.  Anyways, the advantage of putting the spawns in the NE and SW is that you'd have all the team's players spawning together so there'd be no more wrecking the team's chances of winning by trying to form up.  You'd already be formed up.  It would them become a matter of how you wanted to approach the rest of the battle.

Members
566 posts
1,895 battles
1 hour ago, pmgaudio said:

This I save for sure still laughing after the miserable week I had at work. This little video makes laugh so hard.  You Mr. pmgaudio are a very humor filled man. And I thank you. 

[RLGN]
Members
8,297 posts
17,360 battles
2 hours ago, Crucis said:

As for Strait, the map itself is generally fine.  What's bad about that map are the spawns and how they incentivize a terrible player behavior of trying to merge the team on one size of the map.  What I'd prefer to see Strait be like would be similar to how its Ranked battles spawn and cap layout.  Have the two teams spawning in the NE and SW.  Have the domination caps be exactly like they were in ranked.  Or for Standard battles, perhaps put the caps either where the current dom mode A and C caps are, or possibly put them in the NW and SE, i.e. the corners of the map where the ships are not spawned.  Anyways, the advantage of putting the spawns in the NE and SW is that you'd have all the team's players spawning together so there'd be no more wrecking the team's chances of winning by trying to form up.  You'd already be formed up.  It would them become a matter of how you wanted to approach the rest of the battle.

It's not what always happens; exception to the rule and all that; but my experience has been that time wasted trying to form up on Strait is time not used taking caps in domination mode. Many times I've seen an agressive team win on Strait; even after loosing a bunch of ships, because they grabbed caps instead of trying to form up, and the points advantage won the game for them.

Standard can be a bit of an exception, especially when you get the really wierd 8-4 spawn splits, but that generally just means both teams waste five minutes forming up.

[SALVO]
Members
17,139 posts
17,811 battles
21 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

It's not what always happens; exception to the rule and all that; but my experience has been that time wasted trying to form up on Strait is time not used taking caps in domination mode. Many times I've seen an agressive team win on Strait; even after loosing a bunch of ships, because they grabbed caps instead of trying to form up, and the points advantage won the game for them.

Standard can be a bit of an exception, especially when you get the really wierd 8-4 spawn splits, but that generally just means both teams waste five minutes forming up.

Prophet, I understand that forming up on Strait is not the rule, but it is a common enough exception.  Also, forming up in Domination mode is downright stupid.  I have literally never seen a team win in domination mode on that map when half the team abandons their side of the map to "form up".  All that ends up happening is that you've surrendered one of the outer caps without a fight and you're removing half the team from the  fighting for a few minutes, wasting precious time getting from one side to the other, going thru one of the side channels, where you usually are out of the fight entirely due to the tall islands.

Regardless, I still firmly support the idea of changing the Strait map as I suggested in the previous post, because I think that it would make battles on that map far more enjoyable and interesting.  

[RLGN]
Members
8,297 posts
17,360 battles
1 hour ago, Crucis said:

Regardless, I still firmly support the idea of changing the Strait map as I suggested in the previous post, because I think that it would make battles on that map far more enjoyable and interesting.  

My experiences about forming up have been similar...

Maybe just resigning myself to seeing spuds galore on Strait has made me numb to the map, and thus more tollerant, and therefore it 'isn't as bad' any more... :Smile_sceptic:

[DAKI]
Members
629 posts
6,487 battles

shards is probably one of the more easier maps to hold if you got all the flanks and B. I like it, I rarely lose on it if i get, A and B.

[-WTP-]
[-WTP-]
Members
511 posts
5,620 battles

Hardly suggesting any of the Epicenter modes amount to anything pleasant, just that even if it's not pretty I manage to do SOMETHING. This map in standard mode was the most stagnant play I've experienced. All the dead ships on the eastern flank were the only ones who dared to move. I was just stunned, again not trying to start a salt-fest or anything, just that my mind was blown. Literally any place that could be moved into was locked down by torps, fire from great positions or both, it was nuts.

Edited by HeathenForay

[1IF]
Alpha Tester
4,252 posts
8,337 battles

I think it is very instructive to see so much continual 'whining' about an inanimate object (the map, any map, pick your least favourite).

The ships are what are animate, what influences the battle result the most.

These anti-map posts are nothing but big babies crying (imho).

How about all you map complainers adapt to the map given & depending on the ship you are playing, battle it out & move on (this is what I do).

[AXANR]
Members
3,370 posts
16,686 battles
On 10/13/2017 at 4:06 PM, Spooooooooooooooooooooon said:

I liked epicenter on Trident. But Tears of the Desert is the wrong map for it. It inevitably is a landslide win for whichever team is willing to push at the right moment. The team that sits behind the islands and waits to get carried loses. Not fun for either side, especially not when I seem to have poor luck by being on the camping team more often than not. 

Members
9,434 posts
11,601 battles

i like epicenter maps including tears.   I can do fine pushing the flank in most of my cruisers.   (assuming BBs are also willing to push with me)    better teams will push the flanks anyway.     shatters is bit more tricky, but  you do have lot of cover to use as a cruiser.          again pushing flank is always possible. 

Sign in to follow this