You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Herr_Reitz

World of Warplanes 2.0 - Maybe give it a shot?

22 comments in this topic

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,282 posts

Admittedly, NoZoup and Notser both put up reviews... although I think Zoup got a better account than Notser ;-) Both said it's okay - so figure I'll d/l it because: 

1. It's a WG game so premium time will be shared.

2. They probably will hand out some good stuff for a short while.

3. I like playing flight games.

This is supposedly a bit arcadey, unlike it's competitor who shall not be named. But hey - if you missed the news, you may want to give it a shot. 

[LEGIT]
Beta Testers
297 posts
16,054 battles

I just tried the new patch wowp 2.0 and it's completely different from and significantly better than original release.

There are currently missions (ends 11/2) to get three free premium bombers, which are just added to the game.

[SWOB]
Members
2,707 posts
15,763 battles

From what I can tell, veterans of the game (all 200 of them) hate 2.0, while the rest of us are like "hmm, looks cool, maybe I should try now."

Members
9,976 posts

Here's the real issue. No matter how much better they make it, they've already blown off the players that might play it. Most of them will never return, so you'll always be looking at this....anemic numbers.

kEOtS3c.png

[HINON]
Modder, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles

It does look pretty interesting, I might give it a try. Though I won't use their forums. I like ships better. :Smile-_tongue:

[KENT]
Members
481 posts
3,180 battles

Jingles made a review, he says the controls are a lot more intuitive, the game runs smoother, and the interface was simplified.  I'm giving it a shot because I have the space, remind me to talk to you guys later tonight to tell you how it is.  

[SOUP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,567 posts

I gave it a shot last night. Gaijin-Bias Thunder still is vastly superior to it but it's finally a playable product

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,176 battles
1 minute ago, Chobittsu said:

I gave it a shot last night. Gaijin-Bias Thunder still is vastly superior to it but it's finally a playable product

i-couldnt-agree.jpg

WT still better but WoWp is now fun.

[FOXEH]
Members
3,361 posts
12,155 battles
7 minutes ago, Slntreaper said:

Jingles made a review, he says the controls are a lot more intuitive, the game runs smoother, and the interface was simplified.  I'm giving it a shot because I have the space, remind me to talk to you guys later tonight to tell you how it is.  

Hey! Don't forget to tell us how it is after you play it later tonight...(this is your reminder)

Actually, I think I will download the game and give it a try as well.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,282 posts

I suggest you all give it a spin, what the hey, right? 

I d/l, fired it up, "configuring graphics for  you should take 15 seconds..." and you know it, at 14 seconds, "program has crashed. Attempting to recover." Nope. Never recovered. 

I spent more than half an hour searching the net and forums for a fix but nada. So I uninstalled it. You'd think it would be pretty easy to config graphics on a tatertot computer. Not much to do, really... And since I needed drive space, I uninstalled WoT prior to installing WoWP. So now my SSD has more room than when I started but absent both WoT and WoWP. 

Somehow it still feels like a win... I really would have enjoyed playing it just for the fun of it. But when you check for the issue, it was happening back in 2015 too! Forum had nothing on any resolution. 

I'd be interested in hearing if the rest of you experienced this ;-) GL and HF

• Cool 1

[JR]
[JR]
Modder, In AlfaTesters
390 posts
4,124 battles

I used to be an alpha tester for warplanes.  I don't think it's fixed but it's definitely improved.  Good job Wargaming.

Unfortunately it would still take a lot to get back a dedicated fan base, they've already chased so many people away. You know "bad taste" all that stuff.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,657 posts
9,053 battles
34 minutes ago, Chobittsu said:

War Thunder is only better in the more sim like Realistic and the Simulator modes if you are looking for a sim.

11 minutes ago, Inigo_M0ntoya said:

I used to be an alpha tester for warplanes.  I don't think it's fixed but it's definitely improved.  Good job Wargaming.

Unfortunately it would still take a lot to get back a dedicated fan base, they've already chased so many people away. You know "bad taste" all that stuff.

One of the biggest problems is they threw out a good although far from perfect flight model for a far worse one. You can't build a player base if you don't do any promotion.

[SOUP]
7,567 posts
46 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

War Thunder is only better in the more sim like Realistic and the Simulator modes if you are looking for a sim.

One of the biggest problems is they threw out a good although far from perfect flight model for a far worse one. You can't build a player base if you don't do any promotion.

It also has other aspects that WoWP will never have, such as detailed cockpits, the ability to land and take off, damage physics. It's obviously a more detailed game, but I think I'll put more stock in WoWP solely because it isn't being run by a bunch of cavemen. Last night I found a comment by a moderator straight-up bullying users and making threats. It's nice to be on a forum where the staff is actually staff, not randomly picked users who are given the keys to the city

[GWG]
[GWG]
15,657 posts
9,053 battles
1 minute ago, Chobittsu said:

It also has other aspects that WoWP will never have, such as detailed cockpits, the ability to land and take off, damage physics. It's obviously a more detailed game, but I think I'll put more stock in WoWP solely because it isn't being run by a bunch of cavemen. Last night I found a comment by a moderator straight-up bullying users and making threats. It's nice to be on a forum where the staff is actually staff, not randomly picked users who are given the keys to the city

Detailed cockpits are nice eye candy but actually get in the way of playing unless you have a full on flight setup at home with stick & rudder along with something like TrackIR which only hard core sim players will spend the money to have. They are best limited to flight sims

Take off and landing is another fluff item that rarely adds to the game, first you manage to land without crashing and then you have to take off without being shot down before you even get the gear up. Pilots took off from air fields many miles behind the front lines so had time to climb to altitude before entering combat unless their field was being attacked which was not an every day thing. The only place in WWII were pilots regularly took off into combat was the Crimean Peninsula so like Kursk having so much armor is the exception that proves the rule.

The WG mods have always been working for WG but they have a very uneven record in their enforcement.

[SOUP]
7,567 posts
Just now, BrushWolf said:

The WG mods have always been working for WG but they have a very uneven record in their enforcement.

But they do actually enforce... a guy on WT.Live once threatened to kill me, mods there did nothing about it. Over here, he'd at the very least get a slap on the wrist

[GWG]
[GWG]
15,657 posts
9,053 battles
Just now, Chobittsu said:

But they do actually enforce... a guy on WT.Live once threatened to kill me, mods there did nothing about it. Over here, he'd at the very least get a slap on the wrist

Now that seems odd, their mods have a rep for over reacting, kill them all and let god sort it out kind of thing nuking posts and threads left and right.

Members
1,102 posts
6,216 battles

Before the great departure of the player base, I had a lot of fun playing WoWP. To me, it was a FAR superior game to that other product. Have not played in many months, but will try it again with the new update. It will take some time to get the feel for it again. I've got a huge hangar full of planes waiting for me when I go back.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,282 posts

Well.. the promo for the three aircraft is enticing... but again, I searched their  forum(s) for anything on the crash when setting up graphics and nothing. 

Shame really... I'd like to have taken it out for a spin. 

[KENT]
Members
481 posts
3,180 battles
3 hours ago, Khafni said:

Hey! Don't forget to tell us how it is after you play it later tonight...(this is your reminder)

Actually, I think I will download the game and give it a try as well.

I'm back, it's ok.  I played a bit of low tiers, and honestly the game is easy to control.  I never played the original WoWp, but it's not bad.  Obviously it requires some getting used to, and you have to learn advanced dogfighting and all that crap, but overall it's not bad.  You luckily only have one crew member, so it's a lot better than WoT's system, however it still uses the percentage system, only now there are skill points.  Only game mode I've played is TDM, except there are AA bases that you need to capture.  It brings something fun to the table, and I think if you have friends who want to try it out with you, it's not bad.  Mind you, it's nowhere near the unique gameplay or the mechanics that WoWs brings to the table, but that's because air combat is a lot simpler than ship combat.  

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,449 posts
8,107 battles

It already loses points for making me install the game center, but it's getting 1 shot. I was one of it's mot die-hard supporters after 1.5.1 ruined the game. But the point where the screwed up the damage model that Warthunder's was actually more arcadey, nonsense mario kart-esque consumables, pay to win ammo and consumables (gold only, no credits), and some of the other stuff I could go on about, I apologize if this comes across as in poor taste given what's going on in California, but they pretty much burned the bridge to naught but ash on that one. The ONLY reason I'm even going to try and give it that shot is the fact that end of 1.1/start of 1.2 when I joined, that got me into Wargaming games like Tank's and Ships, because Second World War aviation is my thing (why I constantly rant and create walls of texts on carriers), was the first time in the 3-4 years a game had actually brought me joy and was actually fun to play after losing my grandfather to cancer. So, suffice to say, it has a bit of a soft spot, but is also why I felt and was very much burned by them ruining this game for me. But if they still have the pay to win garbage ammo and consumables, the crap damage model that basically first thing anything hits you your basically done and have no chance in hell, and the rest of the pre-2.0 things that drove me away in the first place? I'm just done. I'll just not play flight games when I get the urge or if I'm that desperate go play the opposing companies game that I still absolutely hate, but hate it less.