You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Greenday4537

No Rental?

37 comments in this topic

Members
341 posts
1,906 battles

So, I was on a work trip this week and when I logged on to the forums early yesterday, there were tons of threads about rental ships. I got super pumped up about possibly trying out the Scharn but when I logged onto the game, there were no new ships. Did I miss something? Was it just select people?

Members
9,975 posts
Just now, Greenday4537 said:

So only some people get rentals?

Yep, no idea what criteria they used if not random. This is the only clarification that I've seen so far.

Perhaps you need to have the required dubloons on hand?

Members
341 posts
1,906 battles
Just now, awiggin said:

Yep, no idea what criteria they used if not random. This is the only clarification that I've seen so far.

I have enough dubloons to buy a full priced one right now...

Members
9,975 posts

I have enough dubloons to buy a full priced one right now...

Well, that blows that idea...are you in a Clan?

Members
341 posts
1,906 battles
Just now, awiggin said:

Well, that blows that idea...are you in a Clan?

Negative. But Scharns and Okhotnik's aren't clan wars eligible.

Members
9,975 posts

Negative. But Scharns and Okhotnik's aren't clan wars eligible.

No, but the only players I've seen talking about receiving them have been in clans. Again, just guessing on what is triggering it. I didn't get one either, so no idea.

Members
341 posts
1,906 battles
12 minutes ago, awiggin said:

No, but the only players I've seen talking about receiving them have been in clans. Again, just guessing on what is triggering it. I didn't get one either, so no idea.

That sounds silly to me. How would that encourage people on the fence about buying ships to buy one? I'd imagine people playing clans are people already buying ships.

[HINON]
Supertester
7,523 posts
7,578 battles
11 minutes ago, Greenday4537 said:

That sounds silly to me. How would that encourage people on the fence about buying ships to buy one? I'd imagine people playing clans are people already buying ships.

Not necessarily.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,802 posts
15,249 battles
31 minutes ago, b101uk said:

such a shame the RN tier VI DD wasn't on offer.

?

Members
448 posts
7,474 battles

I have not received the rental offers either, not sure what the criteria is.

Multiple tier 10s, active player with 4k + games, 400-ish gold, never bought a premium ship, not in a clan.

Edited by Dr_Powderfinger

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,111 posts
12,668 battles
1 hour ago, awiggin said:

Actually, a common F2P monetization tactic is to only make the offer to people who don't have the in-game currency on hand. That way, you have to put actual money in to take advantage of the special offer. Spending down a balance you already paid for in-game doesn't make them any new money. :cap_yes:

• Cool 2

Members
9,975 posts
1 minute ago, Edgecase said:

Actually, a common F2P monetization tactic is to only make the offer to people who don't have the in-game currency on hand. That way, you have to put actual money in to take advantage of the special offer. Spending down a balance you already paid for in-game doesn't make them any new money. :cap_yes:

It's all a guessing game at this point. I certainly don't have enough dubloons on hand to purchase either ship. 

Only Wg knows for sure, and they haven't really clarified....

Members
710 posts
Just now, Edgecase said:

in a way true, but offering something that consuming in-game currency also helps, in getting new money faster, that otherwise would not have happened quite so quick.

[PROJX]
Members
970 posts
15,744 battles

If there were a pattern to this Trial, what would probably best match WGs business model would be to offer these to players that have shown limited purchases in-game, but some threshold of commitment to the game (I.e. number of games) and are currently playing in the T5-7 tech tree level.

Targeting players w/ too many games or those who have been purchasing Premiums don’t give as much bang for the buck over getting players who have bought less from the game to get hooked on how fun the Premiums are or what they do for their credit earning or captain training potential, leading to further purchases.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,111 posts
12,668 battles
2 minutes ago, b101uk said:

in a way true, but offering something that consuming in-game currency also helps, in getting new money faster, that otherwise would not have happened quite so quick.

That's true, but it's also inefficient. You might have won those doubloons in a contest, or gotten them at a very nice discount during a sale. If you bought a ship on sale with doubloons you also got on sale, it's a double-discount. Not saying it's bad, just less efficient from the accounting department's perspective. :cap_book:

The "best" solution is one that only accepts cash purchases for the special offer. That way, even if you have bargain-basement doubloons lying around, you can't use them to double-dip on discounts.

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,178 posts
18,908 battles
1 hour ago, awiggin said:

Not in a clan and I was the first that posted about rental ships. I got my Okhotnik after a extrem good game with my Missouri. But from the numbers of ships handed out I guess its just random. 

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,178 posts
18,908 battles
11 minutes ago, hangglide42 said:

If there were a pattern to this Trial, what would probably best match WGs business model would be to offer these to players that have shown limited purchases in-game, but some threshold of commitment to the game (I.e. number of games) and are currently playing in the T5-7 tech tree level.

Targeting players w/ too many games or those who have been purchasing Premiums don’t give as much bang for the buck over getting players who have bought less from the game to get hooked on how fun the Premiums are or what they do for their credit earning or captain training potential, leading to further purchases.

I have 40something premiums, 195 days premium left and sit at 19k gold. I’m a BB main, play lately most of the time T8+. Training potential? Only 3 techtrees not complete researched. But I have the Gremy and Leningrad in my port so I don’t need another T5 VMF DD. There is no pattern, just randomness.

• Cool 1