You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
DeathLord1969

cpu air cooling fan placement

11 comments in this topic

Members
825 posts
2,634 battles

This is something I've never actually looked into as I've been using water cooling for years. But I bought a CM Hyper 212 EVO & am wondering, does it matter which way the fan faces?

Not sure how long I'll stay with air as this is most likely temporary as I need to test my current waterblock to see if it'll mount.

Thoughts? Ideas?

[SYN]
Members
14,438 posts
10,396 battles

Hyper 212 Evo? doesn't really matter. You can even attach 2 fans on it in push-pull

[HINON]
Supertester
19,186 posts
12,684 battles

The fan works best if it blows air unto the cooler is what I've always learned.

[HINON]
Supertester
19,186 posts
12,684 battles

Wait, are we talking about a case fan or a CPU fan?

For case fans, it depends on the location. Ideally you want the air to flow in through the front of the case and out the back of the case. If you have a case fan in the side panel or front panel it should suck air into the case. The power supply fan is already blowing air out.

Since hot air rises it's most efficient if the fans sucking air in are mounted low and the ones blowing air out mounted high.

[SYN]
Members
14,438 posts
10,396 battles
1 minute ago, DeathLord1969 said:

So when using a single fan, have it facing the RAM modules to pull air through the fins towards the rear of the case?

yes, assuming the case sucks in air from the front and expels it from the rear and top.

3 minutes ago, Lert said:

The fan works best if it blows air unto the cooler is what I've always learned.

depends.

Most heatsinks are only designed with the fins being blown into and don't leave enough of a gap between the fan blade and fins for pulling operation.

When the fan is oriented in reverse from design, the lack of distance between the fan blade and fins end up causing massive turbulence noise, although performance usually does not drop.

But there are heatsinks designed with the fan pulling air through the fins, or even designed for push-pull. Hyper 212 Evo even comes with an extra set of brackets for push-pull.

[MIA-I]
Supertester
2,718 posts
4,731 battles

Is it your only fan in the case other then the radiator for the liquid cooling?  Most fan setups I do are set for the front of the case to suck in air, while the rear fans blow the heat and hot air out of the back.  But this is multiple fans with an airflow.  If you're just using one fan I'd set it up so that the fan is passing air over what your attempting to cool and straight out the back or through a top vent if your case has one.

Members
825 posts
2,634 battles

Sorry, referring to the fan on the Hyper 212 EVO. Mounting vids show it on the side closest to ram. So was wondering if it mattered which side of the cooler it was on.

[TDG]
Members
1,171 posts
5,948 battles
36 minutes ago, DeathLord1969 said:

Sorry, referring to the fan on the Hyper 212 EVO. Mounting vids show it on the side closest to ram. So was wondering if it mattered which side of the cooler it was on.

I used this cooler on my server.

When testing showed a difference (rarely) it was better when the fan pushed the air into the stack.  In my case, the fan is over the RAM and blows through the fins toward the back of the case.  The exhaust fan for the case is directly behind the fin stack of the EVO 212.

Members
2,614 posts
3,569 battles
37 minutes ago, DeathLord1969 said:

My opinion on it? I do not believe there is enough difference in one side of the fan vs the other to cause any re-circulation issues if you push vs pull.

If you only have one fan, I would set it up as a puller fan. (Opposite the side of the RAM) For the sole reason of ease of cleaning. If you set it up to push through the cooler, you must remove the fan to effectively clean the radiating elements.

Other than that, the cooler shout not be large enough to cause clearance issue with even the largest of RAM heatsink designs. So it really does not matter. My method is just for convenience.

[PVE]
Members
1,603 posts
6,750 battles
1 hour ago, DeathLord1969 said:

This is something I've never actually looked into as I've been using water cooling for years. But I bought a CM Hyper 212 EVO & am wondering, does it matter which way the fan faces?

Not sure how long I'll stay with air as this is most likely temporary as I need to test my current waterblock to see if it'll mount.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Good choice on the cooler, I've had mine for quite some time now and it has been flawless, for the money, don't think you can do much better.