Sign in to follow this  
JohnPJones

Favorite ship from the days steam and iron clads

10 comments in this topic

Members
2,260 posts
6,734 battles
4 minutes ago, Ghostdog1355 said:

That era of warships was always one of my favorites.

So which ship or class is your favorite?

[CVA16]
Members
2,751 posts
6,436 battles

US Civil War ironclads. Always interesting the reasons the North and South went in different design directions.

[CVA16]
Members
2,751 posts
6,436 battles

Well it may be a broad statement but I guess if you want me to be specific probably the Monitor class because of the radical innovations. And then the South having to deal with shortages in every material and using a sloped wooden casing covered with iron. Raising hulks and outfitting them. Using what resources they had available.

[HINON]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,268 posts
2,029 battles

I always thought the Caio Duilio class was very cool, almost a forerunner to the fast battleship concept. The most firepower you could pack on the fastest platform. Of course, back then (1880s) it was stubby 450mm guns and a 15 knot to speed... it was also a really early example of the 'all or nothing' concept at work. The armament, however, was uniform (2x2 450mm guns, plus torpedo tubes). 

Members
2,260 posts
6,734 battles
On 10/19/2017 at 5:57 PM, Phoenix_jz said:

I always thought the Caio Duilio class was very cool, almost a forerunner to the fast battleship concept. The most firepower you could pack on the fastest platform. Of course, back then (1880s) it was stubby 450mm guns and a 15 knot to speed... it was also a really early example of the 'all or nothing' concept at work. The armament, however, was uniform (2x2 450mm guns, plus torpedo tubes). 

Interesting ship, it’s sometimes hard to find information on foreign ships from that time frame.

[AGPIS]
Members
354 posts
2,416 battles

I'm fond of the L'ocean class frigates. They had a certain sleekness to them, not unlike a modern trireme.

Sign in to follow this