You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Megrim3

A poll discussing the fog of war in your opponents names.

Visibility of your opponents priority targets  

33 members have voted

1. 1. A question in regards to your OPPONENTS.

• Would you prefer to see all names and clan tags at all times before and in battle? (Current system)
    • Would you prefer to see only names without clan tags before and during battle?
    • Would you prefer only being able to see ships names before and during a match but all names and clan tags visible in results screen?

23 comments in this topic

[-K-]
Supertester
5,153 posts
8,946 battles

I'm categorically opposed to the removal of information from the game. Getting focused, while annoying, doesn't happen THAT often. Additionally, it's fun to see people you recognize on the opposing team. 

[HINON]
Modder, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles

Doesn't bother me. I like seeing who is on the enemy team, seeing if I know them or anything.

[ECOM]
Members
955 posts
11,444 battles
10 minutes ago, Doomlock said:

Doesn't bother me. I like seeing who is on the enemy team, seeing if I know them or anything.

I guess that would be lost. ..unless they started talking in all chat. Remember the names are all revealed in the results screen. Option 2 Still reveals the name. But gives less information to those that don't know you by anything other than your clan members skills thus flagging you as a priority target if your clan has reputable strength. 

Edited by Megrim3

[ECOM]
Members
955 posts
11,444 battles
16 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

Is this a thing?

You can watch some of flamuu's streams to see how it is a thing. It's not too much of a problem in a ship with good concealment but when your playing a highly visible BB you notice suddenly that it becomes a thing. 

If you don't think it's a thing, then all ships could be color coded based on wtr. A set of colors besides red for your opponents. It was a thing with xvm in tanks.  Still think it isn't a thing? 

Edited by Megrim3

Beta Testers
1,481 posts
8,958 battles

I like being able to tell if I know someone on the enemy team.  Also, player names are sometimes like custom license plates.  It is fun trying to guess the meaning behind it or appreciating a clever name, and so forth.

If you don't want your stats to be a factor in you being focused, you can always turn your stats off.  I know that is problematic in that third party sites like Warships.today cannot track your stats for you in such a case.  However, I find it hypocritical in some ways to want to have one's stats publically available when it benefits them (e.g., bragging rights, credibility in discussions, etc.) but suddenly, in a battle, you are supposed to be treated like you are average?  Either way, I don't think "XVM-sniping" is as prevalent here as it is in WoT, and even there, I believe the problem is overblown.

As far as clan tags go, I am not in a clan, and I don't want to be.  It is not that I am against clans in any way, I just don't care to be in one.  Thus, the clan tags are meaningless to me, so for me, they are just wasting space in name field, so I would have no problem with them being removed.  I would just rather see it as an option on an individual basis whether to display them.  I wouldn't want people who want to proudly wear theirs from having them removed because someone else wants to hide his because he doesn't want to be focused for being in a clan.

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,839 posts
13,051 battles
17 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

Is this a thing?

If I see someone better than me, I will tend to focus them (all else being equal).  

Of course, I don't encounter folks better than me very often, so it doesn't happen much.

:Smile_hiding:

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,094 posts
12,650 battles

If stat sniping (or stat surrendering) become an issue, then it'd be worth looking into, but for now there's not much reason to block that information.

[HINON]
Supertester
19,195 posts
12,716 battles
53 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

Is this a thing?

Being focused just because of who you are or what you're driving? Definitely a thing.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,797 posts
15,191 battles
56 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

Is this a thing?

ask any supertester

[O_O]
Members
4,401 posts
9,529 battles

Hmmm, well, I guess being a nobody has its advantages!  A quote I have never read in chat:  "Aw, hell, it's desmo_2!!!  Everyone sink him first!"

[TOKKO]
Members
21 posts

Focus fire is focus fire. It will always happens regardless of reasons why. Not every team has a caller picking out targets but it is nice when someone does calls the shots.

To me, focus fire is more of a probability as well as a valid strategy so I see no need to change. Am sure there are more real and bigger fish in the problem pond to fry.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,826 posts
9,581 battles
4 hours ago, desmo_2 said:

Is this a thing?

If you are not a big YouTuber, no it's not.

I have a 55% winrate. Want to know my secret? I shoot the best target at the time and constantly consider if I should be shooting something else. No clan tags, names, or XVM needed.

• Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,826 posts
9,581 battles
3 hours ago, Umikami said:

ask any supertester

That's because people see an unreleased ship, not because of the player.

[OO7]
Members
2,229 posts
9,719 battles
1 hour ago, AraAragami said:

Forget about names and clan tags.

Ban XVM

Sure why not, they have no value to people who lack social skills and the desire to belong, where their behavior has already led to the majority of society rejecting them. 

Edited by VGLance

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,399 posts
3,875 battles
8 minutes ago, VGLance said:

Sure why not, they have no value to people who lack social skills and the desire to belong, where there behavior has already led to the majority of society rejecting them. 

084.png

I think we're thinking about different things.

Edited by AraAragami

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,797 posts
15,191 battles
1 hour ago, HazardDrake said:

That's because people see an unreleased ship, not because of the player.

Sometimes that is true, especially when it is a very popular ship. But sometimes it's just the guy playing it; I go after players I see in the Forum all the time and say hi while I do it.

57 minutes ago, AraAragami said:

Ban XVM

and you thought we didn't agree on anything!

[O_O]
Members
4,401 posts
9,529 battles

I want my name displayed before game.  I don't want my stats displayed.

[NMKJT]
Members
2,721 posts
6 hours ago, Megrim3 said:

You can watch some of flamuu's streams to see how it is a thing. It's not too much of a problem in a ship with good concealment but when your playing a highly visible BB you notice suddenly that it becomes a thing. 

If you don't think it's a thing, then all ships could be color coded based on wtr. A set of colors besides red for your opponents. It was a thing with xvm in tanks.  Still think it isn't a thing? 

CC'ers and streamers get focused because they are famous, and some people watch his stream while they are in the match and use the info to focus on him. Happens to all streamers. 

I don't think it has anything to do with clan.  

[ECOM]
Members
955 posts
11,444 battles

Well. ..you guys got your wish.  XVM for world of warships has now arrived based off your player name.  Hope you all don't regret your votes.