You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
VGLance

Unicums playing low tier vs. potatoes playing high tier

Unicums playing low tier vs. potatoes playing high tier  

283 members have voted

1. 1. Who is being less "ethical?"

• Unicums who consciously know they are beating up on lesser skilled players are being less ethical. They often have more than a thousand games played compared to the players they are playing against.
    • Potatoes who consciously know they are hurting their teams by not carrying their weight where the stakes are higher (in high credit cost matches) are being less ethical (because they often contribute to steamrolls that don't allow team mates to last long enough to recover credit costs).
    • They are roughly equally being unethical.
    • Neither are being unethical, they have every right to play whatever tier they want whenever they want as many times as they want.
    • Bacon

244 comments in this topic

[VCRUZ]
Members
3,303 posts
8,136 battles

You cant stop a potato from playing a high tier and you cant stop a good player from playing lower tiers. 

ButWG could make a skill bases MM that would solve a lot of this. 

Beta Testers
1,611 posts
9,876 battles
31 minutes ago, nuttybiscuit said:

ethics is a term employed in professional circumstances, such as medecine, law, and similiar. The concepts of fairness and fairplay are more relevant to amateur sport and games which have no real monetary reward.

Hence ethics have little or nothing to do with random battles, potatoes or seal clubbers. But 'fairplay' does.

From Dictionary.com:  Ethics  (http://www.dictionary.com/browse/ethics?s=t)

[eth-iks] /ˈɛθ ɪks/

SpellSyllables
noun
1. (used with a singular or plural verb) a system of moral principles:
the ethics of a culture.
2. (used with a plural verb) the rules of conduct recognized in respect to a particular class of human actions or a particular group, culture, etc.:
medical ethics; Christian ethics.
3. (used with a plural verb) moral principles, as of an individual:
His ethics forbade betrayal of a confidence.

Ethics are sets of principals people/groups/cultures adhere to.  It is used in "professional circumstances" because the medical profession, law, etc. are groups and have specific, specialized principals that are derived from the ethics of the wider culture.

It is absolutely naïve (at best) and even false, and even unethical, (at worst) to suggest that ethics are solely limited to "professional circumstances" or only to situations where there are monetary rewards.

[HINON]
Supertester
21,484 posts
15,253 battles
1 minute ago, Xlap said:

ButWG could make a skill bases MM that would solve a lot of this. 

People already claim that WG purposely programmed MM to keep us all around 50% WR. SBMM would actually do that.

Personally, for me, a large part of the fun in playing this game is that sometimes I outplay, sometimes I am outplayed. SBMM would limit that.

• Cool 3

Members
46 posts
8,970 battles
Just now, Lert said:

Really ... Then why are you telling people to go play single player games, just because they disagree with you?

Oh come on. Really!!!??

I was clearly trying to emphasize my point. It makes absolutely no sense to log into a multiplayer game that is 100% team based and then claim you only play for yourself. It absolutely ridiculous. Stop trying to turn me into something I’m not.

Im not an elitist, stat padder,

reroll, seal clubber, or stat shammer. I’m just a guy with a lot of battles that enjoys good teamwork and hard fought well played matches. I dont want to tell people what to play of how to play it. I just think its a good idea to match people up based on thier performance.

Is that going to happen, not likely. As i said in my original comment, i am very likely only going to play clan wars in the future.

Put down your torches and pitchforks now please. LOL. Jebus this forum is a sensitive bunch.

[HINON]
Supertester
21,484 posts
15,253 battles
2 minutes ago, SweetRollThief said:

LOL. Jebus this forum is a sensitive bunch.

Says the one who gets upset and flies into a rant with blanket insults when someone calmly points out his own words and speaks them back at you.

I'm obviously 'just emphasizing a point'. Jebus, you're sensitive.

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
8,193 posts
9,171 battles
6 minutes ago, Sotaudi said:

Ethics is a set of principals people/groups/cultures adhere to.  It is used in "professional circumstances" because the medical profession, law, etc. are groups and have specific, specialized principals that are derived from the ethics of the wider culture.

It is absolutely naïve at best and false, and even unethical, to suggest that ethics are solely limited to "professional circumstances" or only to situations where there are monetary rewards.

It is a matter of usage, fairplay is more than adequate enough a term, is the traditional expression employed in amateur sports and games to describe a sense of morality in the mutual respect of rules. Furthermore, there is a subtle advantage in preferring the term 'fairplay' to that of 'ethics', because fairplay signifies respect for fellow players, both unicum and potatoe. More appropriate for the OP, surely.

I'll see myself out because as usual I have got myself into a rather pointless argument over semantics, by my own fault!:Smile_sceptic:

Members
46 posts
8,970 battles
Just now, Lert said:

Says the one who gets upset and flies into a rant with blanket insults when someone calmly points out his own words and speaks them back at you.

OMFG i am so done with you. Bye.

[SYN]
Members
15,367 posts
12,506 battles

I just wish the T8+ RNBBs were easier to punish for playing badly.

The T7 and under RNBBs will punish bad players, but the T8+ are way too forgiving, despite going full broadside.

[HINON]
Supertester
21,484 posts
15,253 battles
Just now, SweetRollThief said:

OMFG i am so done with you. Bye.

U2Q2Zft.gif

Something about kitchens and heat. You can act all insulted as much as you want, but all I did was turn your own words back on you. Guess we know who the overly sensitive one is.

• Cool 3

Beta Testers
741 posts
9,285 battles

I don't think this is an ethics argument.

If you have low tier boats you can't play them anymore when you get gud?

If you are a player that seeks to improve but may not be the best player does that mean you can't play T10 until you get gud?

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
23,982 posts
3,895 battles
4 minutes ago, SweetRollThief said:

I was clearly trying to emphasize my point. It makes absolutely no sense to log into a multiplayer game that is 100% team based and then claim you only play for yourself. It absolutely ridiculous. Stop trying to turn me into something I’m not.

Yeah let's just ignore the fact that's not even what I said in the first place.

[HINON]
Supertester
21,484 posts
15,253 battles
4 minutes ago, Siegewolf said:

If you have low tier boats you can't play them anymore when you get gud?

If you are a player that seeks to improve but may not be the best player does that mean you can't play T10 until you get gud?

Who decides what level of 'gut' you can git before you 'have to' stop playing low tier boats? Is it tier based? Who decides what level of 'gud' you need to git before you can play high tiers? Is that tier based?

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
23,982 posts
3,895 battles
1 minute ago, Lert said:

Who decides what level of 'gut' you can git before you 'have to' stop playing low tier boats? Is it tier based? Who decides what level of 'gud' you need to git before you can play high tiers? Is that tier based?

And what about when new lines are added? Am I not allowed to grind any new ships that get released after I reach an arbitrary "good" threshold?

I've actually been accused of being a seal clubber for playing my Orion and Leander, by people who could not and would not accept "This is my highest tier British battleship/cruiser (respectively), I'm grinding the line" and continued their bullying.

Edited by AraAragami

[HINON]
Supertester
21,484 posts
15,253 battles
Just now, AraAragami said:

And what about when new lines are added? Am I not allowed to grind any new ships that get released after I reach an arbitrary "good" threshold?

Obviously the people who believe it's 'unethical' for advanced / experienced players to play low tiers should provide us all with the doubloons to skip the low tiers.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
23,982 posts
3,895 battles
Just now, Lert said:

Obviously the people who believe it's 'unethical' for advanced / experienced players to play low tiers should provide us all with the doubloons to skip the low tiers.

Obviously.

Beta Testers
741 posts
9,285 battles
Just now, Lert said:

Im agreeing with you :)  I was trying to be witty.

Yup, the point is if you have the boats and you enjoy playing them no one should be restricted to tier.

There is always the issue of people who may not have the experience or skill playing high tier premiums/ships.  But that's another discussion :)

[HINON]
Supertester
21,484 posts
15,253 battles

BTW, @SweetRollThief, sending aggressive PMs after you told me specifically and publically that you are 'so done with' me is kinda weak. Apparently you're not done with me at all. If you have something to say to me, say it in public and stand by your words.

• Cool 5

Beta Testers
4,294 posts

I don't like potatoes on my teams regardless of tier, or having so many unicums on either team that the battle becomes a complete blowout without time for it to be appreciated.

But sadly, it's not a matter of ethics. Not everyone has to play to the standards I believe are correct and I can't oblige anyone to, even if that means occasional bad losses/unfun wins and a reduction in the amount of fun I get on some days. They might be doing the best their ability allows them to, and progress at a much slower pace than other players, or they might indeed be just trolling and being bad on purpose, but since we can't accurately tell that apart for each of the 22 players in a battle, might as well just not try to cherry pick.

And if a highly skilled players enjoy lower tier ships, that's perfectly acceptable, because the playstyle itself is very different in the mid-tiers from the high-tiers, they're different kinds of fun and you can't entirely replace your enjoyment of a T4~7 battle for a T8+, the things that happen in those battles and the strategies you can reliably employ vary quite a lot.

• Cool 1

[NMKJT]
Members
3,812 posts

I love the v.25. It's fun. Campbelltown too. 

Not that I am unicum by any stretch but some ships are just a blast.

"You can't play your Nikolai you're too good." 

Hogwash

Beta Testers
741 posts
9,285 battles
Just now, DingBat said:

Not this again. 

There is no such thing as seal clubbing. 

Sure there is.

Image result for seal clubbing gif

• Cool 3

[VCRUZ]
Members
3,303 posts
8,136 battles
17 minutes ago, Lert said:

Personally, for me, a large part of the fun in playing this game is that sometimes I outplay, sometimes I am outplayed. SBMM would limit that.

Most of the times outplays happens when you have similar skill players. When you have a potato vs a good player there is almost zero chance of a outplay. 

[HINON]
Supertester
21,484 posts
15,253 battles
2 minutes ago, Xlap said:

When you have a potato vs a good player there is almost zero chance of a outplay. 

On the contrary, in that situation there's a very high chance of an outplay.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
5,316 battles
43 minutes ago, SweetRollThief said:

Sounds like you are bossing me around now. 

There is nothing wrong with wanting to play with people that have similar experience level. I never said ANYTHING about not letting people play what they want. I have literally zero interest in bossing anyone around, ever.

The real lie here is that playing for fun and playing for yourself is ok. If there was skill based MM then yes that would be fine. But in this game some people only enjoy the match if the team works together and plays well. Continue to play for yourself and not the team if you must,

but stop lying to yourself that its ok and has no negative consequences because it absolutely does. 

Here's the catch. How do you define skill?

[MEIST]
Members
1,200 posts
4,677 battles
35 minutes ago, AraAragami said:

How the hell am I expected to grind new lines if I can't play lower tiers? Are you going to give me all the gold I need to convert free XP to get to tier 10 in a new line if I'm only allowed to play tier 10 after I get a tier 10 ship?

I'm sure he doesn't mean you can never grind another line without being a horrible person. I think he may be talking about the people that have something like 3,000 games in tier III and 100 in anything above that. I have seen profiles that are along those numbers.

Play whatever you like. I am not a great player and I play from tier VIII to Tier IV. I just try my best and usually have fun at it.