You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
VGLance

Unicums playing low tier vs. potatoes playing high tier

Unicums playing low tier vs. potatoes playing high tier  

283 members have voted

1. 1. Who is being less "ethical?"

• Unicums who consciously know they are beating up on lesser skilled players are being less ethical. They often have more than a thousand games played compared to the players they are playing against.
    • Potatoes who consciously know they are hurting their teams by not carrying their weight where the stakes are higher (in high credit cost matches) are being less ethical (because they often contribute to steamrolls that don't allow team mates to last long enough to recover credit costs).
    • They are roughly equally being unethical.
    • Neither are being unethical, they have every right to play whatever tier they want whenever they want as many times as they want.
    • Bacon

244 comments in this topic

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts
On 10/13/2017 at 9:12 PM, JToney3449 said:

People in this world need to focus less on what everyone else is doing, and focus more on what they themselves could be doing instead. 

This Right here is the best worded response in this entire thread. plus 1  

• Cool 1

[R-R-R]
Members
1,030 posts
8,604 battles

Being not 'ethical' is too strong a statement regarding such behavior.

I would only call players who intentionally throw games not ethical.

As for seal clubbers and stats padder at low tiers, I just regard them as less skillful and confident players than what their average stats show.

For high tier potatoes, they are simply below-average players which you have in every PvP game. Average is like the half-point, so there are always gonna be players below average. Nothing wrong abou that.

[-V-]
Members
817 posts
4,070 battles
On 10/16/2017 at 3:27 PM, Final8ty said:

I have more T10 battles than any other tier and i will go to t4 now and then but to grind a new ship and get the captain to 19 points.

Your intention is not to Seal Club. That's cool. It's the players who stay and end up having 3,000 battles at low tier. But what you just stated, it is apparent it's not to "pat your stats"

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,029 posts
3,895 battles
Just now, LoneStormchaser said:

Your intention is not to Seal Club.

And who decides what the intention is?

[TMS]
Members
2,673 posts
26,749 battles
2 minutes ago, LoneStormchaser said:

Your intention is not to Seal Club. That's cool. It's the players who stay and end up having 3,000 battles at low tier. But what you just stated, it is apparent it's not to "pat your stats"

Indeed. https://worldofwarships.com/en/community/accounts/1014906156-Final8ty/!/pvp/ships/?bestShip=shimakaze look at my T10 bar.

But i just got the okhotnik so will be grinding from T5 matches.

[-V-]
Members
817 posts
4,070 battles
2 minutes ago, Final8ty said:

Indeed. https://worldofwarships.com/en/community/accounts/1014906156-Final8ty/!/pvp/ships/?bestShip=shimakaze look at my T10 bar.

But i just got the okhotnik so will be grinding from T5 matches.

I applaud you. Ave tier. 7.5. Enjoy the new ship.

[TMS]
Members
2,673 posts
26,749 battles
1 minute ago, LoneStormchaser said:

I applaud you. Ave tier. 7.5. Enjoy the new ship.

Most of my battles are solo so its really hard work, 4000 battles at T10 and the next most is 2250 at T8

Members
687 posts
9,588 battles

The issue isn't potatoes or unicums playing at X or Y tier. The issue is the non existent match making in this game.

PvP games typically use some kind of ranking or ELO system. No, this isn't to compare genital sizes, it is to give the players the best possible competitive experience. What we have here in WoWS, are potatoes and unicums all thrown into the same pot regardless of ship tier. This makes for frustrating gameplay, and more one sided stomps rather than actual good games. This isn't fun for anybody, and is usually toxic.

• Cool 1

[TMS]
Members
2,673 posts
26,749 battles
5 minutes ago, Braize said:

The issue isn't potatoes or unicums playing at X or Y tier. The issue is the non existent match making in this game.

PvP games typically use some kind of ranking or ELO system. No, this isn't to compare genital sizes, it is to give the players the best possible competitive experience. What we have here in WoWS, are potatoes and unicums all thrown into the same pot regardless of ship tier. This makes for frustrating gameplay, and more one sided stomps rather than actual good games. This isn't fun for anybody, and is usually toxic.

Agreed.

It didnt used to be so one sided in beta, there was a lot more closer matches, but now as you say most games are just stomps now one way or the other.

Edited by Final8ty

Members
687 posts
9,588 battles

Let's also throw in, that every player has a right to play whatever tier they want to play. Wargaming has also made mission lines that force everyone to play at tier 8-10 if you want rewards.

What is not acceptable, is when Wargaming forces potatoes to play against unicum players. Just think about how fair your League of Legends game be if Faker and Doublelift were both on the other team. You are going to get stomped. And more than likely, people on your own team will be spamming chat about how bad you are, and how you are losing the game for your team. It's not fair to the good players who have to carry bad players on their teams. And it's not fair to the bad players who are just trying to improve their game, only to be obliterated in the first 5 minutes of the match. Then spammed in chat for playing bad in a game that they shouldn't have even been in the first place.

So this is when people like to say things like "oh i like playing against better players because it makes me play better." No, it doesn't. If I go to an elementary school and start beating up a bunch of little kids, it's not going to teach them anything about self defense. Gaming is no different. You don't learn a single thing when you get your butt kicked. All these guys then do, is just load up another game, and do the same thing they have always been doing. Making the same mistakes and making the same bad plays, and missing the same shots they always have been.

But let's talk about ship tiering and skill levels then, which is another problem with this game. What happens when your team's unicum division gets put in tier 8s, and the other team's unicum division gets placed in 10s? Yes, you are probably going to lose, because now the good players on your team are forced to carry while playing inferior ships. Meanwhile, the other team is having a field day with your potato tier 10s. You lose before the game even starts, and it all comes down to non existent match making.

• Cool 1

[-V-]
Members
817 posts
4,070 battles
4 minutes ago, Braize said:

What is not acceptable, is when Wargaming forces potatoes to play against unicum players.

Or it's like when War Gaming forces all us poatao's to play on one team against a team filled with unicums.

Wait, you just said that. :Smile_teethhappy:

Edited by LoneStormchaser
  • Cool 1

Members
687 posts
9,588 battles

I mean this is a 10 page thread about wondering if potatoes should be allowed to play at high tiers, and even calling them unethical for doing so. You are blaming the player base for an issue that they have absolutely no control over. How about adding the real issue to your poll, which is that Wargaming should give us proper ELO and match making. The phrase "the buck stops here" means that the responsibility lies with the person in charge. (yes i know Trump is in office now, and this rule no longer applies, but still...) This situation is no different. We are not given proper match making to help control potatoes at high tier, or unicum players from "seal clubbing."

Is there a system out there that will 100% prevent all of this? No, there is not. But right now we have no controls in place, and it's just a free for all.

[WOLFD]
Members
112 posts
3,376 battles

So what your saying is:  There are good players and bad players in low tier .... And good and bad players at high tier.

seems that would be expected.

[-V-]
Members
817 posts
4,070 battles
3 minutes ago, Braize said:

I mean this is a 10 page thread about wondering if potatoes should be allowed to play at high tiers, and even calling them unethical for doing so. You are blaming the player base for an issue that they have absolutely no control over. How about adding the real issue to your poll, which is that Wargaming should give us proper ELO and match making. The phrase "the buck stops here" means that the responsibility lies with the person in charge. (yes i know Trump is in office now, and this rule no longer applies, but still...) This situation is no different. We are not given proper match making to help control potatoes at high tier, or unicum players from "seal clubbing."

Is there a system out there that will 100% prevent all of this? No, there is not. But right now we have no controls in place, and it's just a free for all.

You might want to edit this. Can't bring politics or even make a phrase resembling it. According to the ELO.

[-V-]
Members
817 posts
4,070 battles
6 minutes ago, LoneStormchaser said:

You might want to edit this. Can't bring politics or even make a phrase resembling it. According to the ELO.

Sorry, was listening to "Evil Woman" when I wrote this. I meant ELU.

[HOTEL]
Members
2,018 posts
7,110 battles

I find them both highly immoral. When new lines come out I get out of low tier as fast as possible and I hate having more competitive play ruined by wallet warriors and bots.

Members
594 posts
4,461 battles
On 10/13/2017 at 3:06 PM, nuttybiscuit said:

My drum is looking rather beaten, but I still think this discussion is missing an essential concept, that goes beyond 'rules', one that shows humanity for fellow players. How many of you have played team sports and learnt to lend/accept a hand from an opposing team member to get up off the ground after a hard tackle? So you beat an inferior player, so what as long as you treat that other player decently, equally if you find yourself beaten by someone more skilled, accept defeat with good grace. Ethics does not cover this, and seemingly 90% of the replies to this thread ignore this sort of behaviour too..

Am I old fashioned? Probably, but I learnt my attitude from the game of Rugby, and playing up and downhill on rough and ready pitches, fairness didn't come from the rule book, ethics was never spoken of, but respecting your opposing players come what may, most certainly was, whether unicum or potatoe. But the anonymity of the internet has airbushed out this feature of team sports (and WOWS is an online team sport in its way).

Respect.

[HEROS]
Members
1,728 posts
15,024 battles

if your a spud playing tier 8 and up then you will running a premium account.  I don't mind the potato's at high tier.. It gives me something to shoot at!  But I get my tier 8 tossed into tier 10's matches constantly.  And I still loose money hand over fist because I do need to mount premium consumables.. typically my tier 8 ships run me about 150,000 silver per match to play win or loose.  SO that mean I have to make OVER that amount to make any money..  This last Monday I spent the day in my tier 8 Kagero.. Had a unicum day with a WST rating for the day of over 1500.  I was also about 300,000 silver poorer by the end of the day in spite of being on the winning side in 7 out of 10 matches  I played and  top of the board for 5 of those won matches.

Let me repeat in case you missed that  

I LOST 300,000 silver over 10 matches in spite of top score in 5 of 7 won matches for the day!   If they're truely potato players they are PAYING for the privilege of playing in tier 8 and up because there is no way they could keep playing there otherwise.  even if they're not running premium consumables.  Other wise they could not afford to keep playing in the upper tiers.  What the hell!  The 'taters keep the servers up and running, and give someone for the really good player to shoot out!  Whats not to love?  Stop giving em crap.

Now, Unicum's slumming down in low tier.. are they seal clubbing?  Um.. lets be a little clear here and work this out.   If they're running an alt account it's doing utterly nothing for their main account unless they took advantage of "invite a friend" by sending their alt account an invite so they can bag 5 mil on their main account when they play their first teir 6 battle on that alt account  (takes a day two to 4 days manage that depending on the player) and I wouldn't call what they are doing seal clubbing so much as grinding silver!  They could be said to be seal clubbing, but that's unlikely to be their primary goal if they are on an alt account.  They are there to earn 5 million silver for their main account.  Once they hit their goal they'll likely abandon the account... or they could sell the account.(not likely. WG catches you selling account and you wont have any accounts!  My impression is they're serious about serious about that, though they may only go after the most blatently stupid about it )  after all it will have at least 2 premiums on it, one of them being USS Texas!  (If I reacll these days on the US server they also get the tier II Russian cruiser Diana).   I'd be curious to know just how many accounts have been played to tier 6 and then never played again.  I would not be the least bit surprised if it pretty damd common! 

If they're on their main account playing low tier they are also NOT baby seal clubbing.  Match maker will not put them in matches again new players AT ALL.  I'm pretty sure that the MM will primarily place them against other players that have reached player record level 13 to 15.   They might be said to be seal clubbing, but those aren't baby seals, those are adult seals and they can club BACK!  In fact they're most likely full grown spuds that are ALSO playing low tier ships  and those folks ARE trying to seal club.  But spuds that they are they tend to not have a lot of understanding of how the games MM works and are likely pretty frustrated!   The Unicum is likely playing low tier because they can clear on average MORE money preforming good to well in a low to mid tier match then they often tames will clear in a high tier match doing WELL!   It's a rare match where I cant take out one of my 4 ARP Kongo's and clear  a minimum of 60k per match (I have all 4 of 'em  thats 4 first win bonuses per day in a tier V BB!) I usually bag right around 120-200k.. sometimes even more if the spud are out in force!

Never ever infer harmful  intent when there are for more obvious and logical reason for a highly skilled player to be running in a low tier match.   If you playing without premium time from tier 8 up you loose more then you make over all unless and only unless your running a premium ships (with it's special premium cammo on which is WHERE the extra income earning is from.. run normal cammo you make diddly.. I've checked!)

Ya know the FBI has a rule when investigating organized crime.. "Follow the Money" and you should be doing the same in any online game that has any sort of economic model especially when it has differing models f2p  or premium.   In game money keeps you playing.  If your not making money in game nuff to keep you playing at the tiers you want to play at you either need to pay for premium time, or manipulate the game system to get the resources you need.  f your seeing unicum players in low tier play they're either grinding for silver, or helping a buddy, or it just so happens they like to play low tier ships because they are interesting!  (which they are!)  There are more differences and variety in low tier ship play then high tier... much much more!  And you can have an utter stinker of a match and still make money.

OP want to fix what the OP has failed to understand.  OP fails to understand that nothing is broken other then the OP's understanding of what is actually happening!

*sigh!*

wayyyyyyy to common.. Oh well.. I should flag this post for myself so I can cut and paste in about.. ohh.. 1 to 2 months.   If you understand how things work, they cease to be a mystery, and become a resource.

Warlord sends 

Alpha Tester
3,327 posts
On 10/16/2017 at 1:53 PM, nuttybiscuit said:

Yesterday me and some divmates decided to go find out what sealclubbing was like. 

We were clubbed:Smile_facepalm:by newbies.

I noticed this in my destroyer earlier.

MOST  of the people with over 500 matches in their boats were under 50% wIn.  I mean what the actual [edited]?

so either I had the weirdest mixes tonight, or something.