You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
VGLance

Unicums playing low tier vs. potatoes playing high tier

Unicums playing low tier vs. potatoes playing high tier  

280 members have voted

1. 1. Who is being less "ethical?"

• Unicums who consciously know they are beating up on lesser skilled players are being less ethical. They often have more than a thousand games played compared to the players they are playing against.
    • Potatoes who consciously know they are hurting their teams by not carrying their weight where the stakes are higher (in high credit cost matches) are being less ethical (because they often contribute to steamrolls that don't allow team mates to last long enough to recover credit costs).
    • They are roughly equally being unethical.
    • Neither are being unethical, they have every right to play whatever tier they want whenever they want as many times as they want.
    • Bacon

244 comments in this topic

[OO7]
Members
2,229 posts
9,721 battles

I know people call even slightly below average players 'potatoes' but please strictly vote based on extreme performers, I'm not talking about 45 - 55% win rate players.  I'm talking about the 60+ win rate Unicums and 40% and below win rate potatoes.  Like the player last night that was playing in a T10 match with an average damage of 4,500 after over 3000 games played.  Or the top 1% players that can carry even high tier matches dropping down to T4 and melting entire teams.  The players both extremely good and extremely bad to such an extent that it makes even the most casual-minded players pause to reflect on the ethical aspects.

Feel free to not just vote but explain specifically why you believe the way you do.  There are no right or wrong answers here, just opinions, so keep it civil.

When considering "ethics" it's simply a matter of "Just because something is legal (or within the ToS) doesn't mean a person should do it."  Golden rule... societal standards of behavior... etc.

• Cool 1

Members
688 posts
4,374 battles

Do what you enjoy. I can't imagine how some players enjoy the miserable performances they constantly put in at high-tiers but they have every right to do as they want. Bad players are a fact of life in any multiplayer game. 

On the same note if you're just playing low-tiers to pad your stats rather than because you have more fun there you're a fairly pathetic individual but I'd never consider such a player unethical. 

• Cool 1

[SF-A]
Members
2,893 posts
5,686 battles

You can do whatever you want. While potatoes are very annoying, and unicums can be considered mean, improving yourself is the surefire way of dealing with both. Don't like something? Learn to deal with it.

• Cool 2

[-K-]
Supertester
5,153 posts
8,946 battles

Of the examples you listed, I hardly think ethics is involved. People will do what they enjoy. As they should. This is a game, and, if you're not having fun, you're doing it wrong. 

• Cool 9

[SEP]
Members
3,723 posts
14,979 battles

Everything under T8 is seal clubbing. Speaking of which, the "I don't like the high tier meta" players just can't do well in T10 matches and seal club instead to boost their confidence.

/thread

[SYN]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
4,500 battles

Considering that at tier 4 the ability to exert your skill to force a match to go your way, not surprising to see great players at tier 4.

Conversely many players are simply drawn to the biggest and baddest they can get their hands on to feel empowered and could really care less about how they play.

It's not shocking for either. To each their own I say. I mean hell I have tier 4 premiums. If I want to [edited] around at lower tiers for a bit because I miss playing them, my prerogative.

[SYN]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
4,500 battles
1 minute ago, m373x said:

Everything under T8 is seal clubbing. Speaking of which, the "I don't like the high tier meta" players just can't do well in T10 matches and seal club instead to boost their confidence.

/thread

That's simply your PoV. My favorite ship in the game is Scharnhorst. So I'm just a seal clubber then? I call that horse****. I play what I like.

• Cool 6

[RBIA]
Members
337 posts
8,256 battles

I learned most of my skills at tier 3. Suddenly there were sealclubbing unicums in tier 5 boats everywhere. I got gud real fast. :D You can't improve much unless you play against the pros.

--IronDuke

• Cool 2

[SEP]
Members
3,723 posts
14,979 battles
3 minutes ago, IronWolfV said:

That's simply your PoV. My favorite ship in the game is Scharnhorst. So I'm just a seal clubber then? I call that horse****. I play what I like.

I don't know yet. Do you like the high tier meta?

Edited by m373x

[RUST]
Beta Testers
945 posts
10,405 battles

It's only unethical if you cheat. If you play within the rules there's nothing wrong with a high skill player playing lower tier and vice versa. 

• Cool 1

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,798 posts
7,034 battles

ethics? :Smile_glasses:

Maybe talk of "fairplay" (an expression quite alien to WarGaming..) would be appropriate, but ethics

• Cool 1

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,798 posts
7,034 battles
1 minute ago, NCC81701 said:

It's only unethical if you cheat. If you play within the rules there's nothing wrong with a high skill player playing lower tier and vice versa. 

Not at all, it is perfectly ethical to cheat at a video game. But is is unfair to cheat.

[PSP]
Members
6,250 posts
8,886 battles

I have nearly 5000 games played if you include PVE. I'm not a potato nor am I a unicum but, like the majority of WOWS players, an average player. If I start up a new ship line, my intent is not to noob bash but to have fun, well, playing a new ship line. Right now I'm working on IJN CVs and DDs. I'm still at low tier in the main line because my IJN ship experience actually started at tier VIII with the ARP Takao and I never bothered to level anything up in that line before. 

Edited by Snargfargle

[-BRS-]
Members
1,631 posts
13,575 battles

I don't think it's unethical to play anything I just don't want to be on the potatoes team please a mm put me on the pros team:cap_popcorn:

[HINON]
Modder, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles

Honestly I don't see anything wrong with either. People will play what they want to play.

I can enjoy low tiers despite the possible seal clubbing connotation, but I also don't mind lower skilled players in high tiers as it gives a unique balance of skilled and non skilled players.

[PSP]
Members
6,250 posts
8,886 battles

The flip-side of this conversation is the question of whether it's ethical for a "wallet warrior" to purchase a high-tier premium without having enough experience to actually be able to support his team in a high-tier game.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Supertester
19,204 posts
12,732 battles

Who is being less ethical? The person who believes they have a dog damn right to decide what tiers I should or shouldn't play.

• Cool 8

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles

It was hard to choose between "neither" and "Bacon", so I chose bacon.  Bacon is never the wrong choice.

• Cool 3

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,841 posts
13,056 battles

When I feel like eating bacon, I eat bacon.   When I feel like playing high tier, I play high tier.  When I feel like playing mid tier, I play mid tier.  When I feel like playing low tier, I play low tier.

Edited by Soshi_Sone
  • Cool 2

[PT8TO]
Members
277 posts
11,725 battles
Just now, Soshi_Sone said:

Like feel like eating bacon, I eat bacon.   When I feel like playing high tier, I play high tier.  When I feel like playing mid tier, I play mid tier.  When I feel like playing low tier, I play low tier.

11jbp0.jpg.87b1550d00962b82f3b639b589bc7b8c.jpg

Members
2,557 posts
12,419 battles

Either way at the end of the day I will still have hemorrhoids. So I have that going for me...which is nice.

Members
575 posts
3,075 battles
8 minutes ago, nuttybiscuit said:

Not at all, it is perfectly ethical to cheat at a video game. But is is unfair to cheat.

Uhhh No, it is unethical to cheat, in any capacity.

As to OP, as others have side, tying ethics to a F2P game as far as tiers and skill is a stretch.

But, I can appreciate your sentiment.

[WOLF9]
Members
3,244 posts

Well, newbs are the lifeblood of this, or any game.  Thus I consider seal clubbing them to pad stats more egregious than simply getting in over your head.

Most players tend to play multiple tiers, though- not just highs.   Simply enjoying the chaos of low tiers- nothing wrong with that.  Nor is playing a $$$ maker so you can AFFORD to play those tier 9's and 10's,lol.

Throwing a 19 point captain in a low tier ship just to stroke your ego with how many newbs you can smash- that's just poor sportsmanship.  Like bringing a rifle to a bb gun fight,lol.  (and yes, in my younger years we did have bb gun fights...)  Bragging about clubbing seals is also poor form, and reflects poorly on those who do it.

[RESP]
Beta Testers
889 posts
7,147 battles

My mostly play tier tier 6, and it usually gets uptiered.  If fighting ships that are usually +1/+2 about 75% of the time counts as seal clubbing, then I'm seal clubbing.