Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
AdmiralThunder

Yamato Soon - Build Questions?

26 comments in this topic

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,954 posts
10,733 battles

As the title says Yamato will soon be in my port. I finished Amagi and have Izumo researched and fully upgraded and only need a little over 100K Free XP for Yamato. I have no desire to play Izumo (or any of the other all guns forward BB's in game) so will just use Free XP to go right to Yamato (I already have a T10 BB so no worries about going too fast). Won't take long to earn enough elite XP to convert to get that 100K so wanted to have a plan in place ready to go when I get there.

What I am asking for opinions on are what to take in the upgrade slots. I am fine with the stock gun range of 26.6km. I do not care to extend it beyond that. I figure a secondary build will be best as I do not sit back and edge camp. I push up with my team and support them. However, I also want to be sure the guns are accurate so aiming assistance is another possibility. There is also the glacial turret rotation issue with Yamato to consider. Then concealment vs target acquisition. So many choices...LOL

I  am curious which others think will be the most beneficial upgrades? FWIW I am a Co-op main. I do not play Random so if you feel that plays into the decision then keep it in mind. Bots at T8-T10 are no cake walk so you still need to play well and optimize your vessel for your play style just as you do for Random. The build for Montana was a no brainer for me as I basically went with an AA build from Colorado on. But, Yamato is different than Nagato and Amagi (no Izumo experience) so not really sure where to head? So for each slot below I will list the ones I am considering.

Note: Capt will have PM/EM/BFT/AFT as the core skills which play along with the upgrade slots and ship needs.

Slot 1:

• MAM1 to help protect main guns
  • AAM1 to help protect secondary guns

Slot 2:

• MBM2 to reduce main gun traverse speed (increases reload)
  • SBM2 to help secondary guns
  • ASM1 to help main guns and secondary guns

Slot 3:

• MBM3 to reduce reload (increases traverse speed)
  • SBM3 to reduce reload time of secondary guns

Slot 4:

• DCSM1 = no brainer

Slot 5:

• SGM2 = no brainer for me as I get in close and need the improvement to rudder shift

Slot 6:

• CSM1 to lower detection (my Capt does not have concealment skill)
  • TASM1 to improve detection of enemy ships and torpedoes

So other than slot 4 and slot 5 I am torn? I guess I could go 1 of 2 ways...

Build 1 Main Guns:

• Slot 1 = MAM1
  • Slot 2 = ASM1 or MBM2
  • Slot 3 = MBM3
  • Slot 4 = DCSM1
  • Slot 5 = SGM2
  • Slot 6 = TASM1

Build 2 Secondary Guns:

• Slot 1 = AAM1
  • Slot 2 = SBM2 or ASM1
  • Slot 3 = SBM3
  • Slot 4 = DCSM1
  • Slot 5 = SGM2
  • Slot 6 = TASM1

Arrgh so many choice. I could do like 6 builds and all would work. Yamato need 2 more slots. LOL How di you guys do yours?

Edited by AdmiralThunder

[-K-]
Members
5,308 posts
9,134 battles

Yamato isn't a very good brawler due to her terrible turret traverse.  Other T10 BB's brawl much better, so I would avoid that build.

I'd personally go more for a survivability build, with all the HE spam cruisers plus Conquerors shooting at you now.  You want to be able to mitigate fires as best as possible.

[NERO]
Members
3,542 posts

I run Yamato with a secondary spec captain but with aiming mod instead of secondary boost for module. You have a little less range that way, but her secondaries are absolutely beast with manual fire control and going with aiming mod lets you do what she's famous for... absolutely ruin things from the first moment you spot them. 

(Edit: That said, the secondaries mostly come into play when DDs get too close. It's rare to have a secondary battle with another BB in Yamato but I have done it and it was pretty darn crazy.)

Edited by TTK_Aegis

[PVE]
[PVE]
Beta Testers
1,688 posts
3,833 battles

For my Yamato build I went with this:

slot 1: AAM1 (your main turrets are THICC, they won't go down easily, so protect your secondaries)

slot 2: SBM2 (just to have the secondaries have 10km range with the captain skills)

slot 3: MBM3 (having faster reload on your big guns is exceptionally powerful. Yes your turrets will traverse slower, but it's already slow so might as well maximize your DPM)

slot 6: I went with concealment cause I can position my Yamato closer and fire my guns at better angles also to avoid being shot at first if I am detected first. Most of the time you're gonna have bot teammates, so let them be the first to get spotted and be shot at so that you can fire without having counter-fire especially to prevent the enemy bot Yamato from firing you first.

I also purely play my Yamato in co-op and so far this build works with me the best. You can brawl in the Yamato as long as you prepare your turrets in the right direction and know where the enemy is coming in at.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,954 posts
10,733 battles

Thanks guys.

The irony of all this is I am farming the XP I need for this using my Montana and killing bot Yamato's. LOL

Edited by AdmiralThunder

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,213 posts
14,630 battles

I went with a blend of Survival, Stealth, Main Battery.  I did a lot of trial and error with her, including secondaries build, but Yamato is simply not up to that kind of fighting.  The closer you fight, the chances of disaster increase.

There was a reply I had in another Yamato related thread, a few months old but I hold to this today still.

OP, I'm not sure if you have other Tier IX-X BB experience, but just letting you know Yamato sails completely unalike from previous tiers if you skip Izumo.  I'd dare say Yamato sails more like a slower Tier III-VII USN BB than the Fast BBs you have been playing with the entirety of the IJN BB line.  You must be more forward thinking and methodical with Yamato.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,954 posts
10,733 battles
37 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

I went with a blend of Survival, Stealth, Main Battery.  I did a lot of trial and error with her, including secondaries build, but Yamato is simply not up to that kind of fighting.  The closer you fight, the chances of disaster increase.

There was a reply I had in another Yamato related thread, a few months old but I hold to this today still.

OP, I'm not sure if you have other Tier IX-X BB experience, but just letting you know Yamato sails completely unalike from previous tiers if you skip Izumo.  I'd dare say Yamato sails more like a slower Tier III-VII USN BB than the Fast BBs you have been playing with the entirety of the IJN BB line.  You must be more forward thinking and methodical with Yamato.

Thank you for the response. I found the thread link helpful. I have played to the Montana at T10. 

[PVE]
[PVE]
Beta Testers
1,688 posts
3,833 battles

Brawling in close range with the Yamato is not a hindrance at all, as long as you know where the bot will be at, you can swing your turret in the right direction.

It does get problematic when there are multiple bots close by, but that scenario usually doesn't happen often.

After all you will be using the Yamato for co op mainly, so lot of the builds that people use for the Yamato is meant for random battles, bot does not know the weaknesses that the Yamato has and will not exploit it.

Beta Testers
1,418 posts

I recently got Yamato with Yamamoto commanding it... and I've only spent 10 points on Yamamoto (one per skill tier) given I've not decided the rest of the build here's what few tips I can tell you:

You do need 2 aircraft to launch. Yamato is too vulnerable to torpedo volleys given its usually best used highly angled or bow-on at very low speeds..and take this from someone who also runs a Shimakaze... Yamatos are the easiest kills when you flank them. They just dont have time to speed up or turn when they are in that position. 

You do need Expert Marksman. Turrets are horrendously slow. 

You do need to have the time of fires and floods reduced given you'll be on fire or flooding every battle. 

Finally, GET CONCEALMENT EXPERT. When stacked with the stealth module in the ship your Yamato will have 13km detect range. This alone enables you to fire and stealth up if you need to relocate. Yamatos that do not have this are visible to like 19km and literally burned down by every cruiser and DD on the map very quickly. 

For ship upgrades:

-For the first slot, get the special upgrade that increases the repair timer action time. It saves you from so many fires its not even funny. 

-For the second slot get the aiming module. Yamato with that module becomes able to double or triple citadel other ships consistently even at long ranges. 

-Third slot is up to you.. most choose faster refire rate sacrificing turret turn speed (essentially it zeroes out your EM captain skill bonuses) because it increases DPS.... but personally I went with the +range mod... which gives my Yamato 30km base range. Range I have found, is a precious commodity in Yamato. Even at 30km you can still lolpen almost every ship out there (plunging fire!!!). Use spotting aircraft and you've got 36km lulz.... and I've used them to great effect...even one shotting an enemy carrier at 35km in the first few minutes of the game (our carrier planes spotted him) and hearing him rage.

-Fourth slot is the fire reduction upgrade. You absolutely need it.

-Fifth slot I chose the rudder over the fire duration module.. because that rudder helps you avoid so many hits and torpedoes its worth it.. plus Yamato with what I put in the first slot plus premium (silver paid) damage control kit works mighty fine. 

-Sixth slot is the stealth module. 

I have a Yamato captain I had trained prior to getting Yamamoto...and he was using the same basic build I have now except he had the manual secondaries skill learned (plus the stealth skill) at tier 4...and I noticed that the secondaries still missed like crazy so I'd say that skill is not worth it unless you also use the 2nd slot secondaries accuracy increasing skill. Just FYI. 

Personally I'm leaning towards avoiding any secondaries in Yamato now..because truth is, when you're tanking other BB's you need to be Bow-on or highly bow-on angled...and the secondaries just arent of much help there... vs a DD that pops up at close range (which only happens if you dumb enough to be near corners) they dont help much either even when fully upgraded because secondaries just wont take down a 50% or more health DD before he fires the torps that kill you..even if your main guns happen to get a shot in. So overall the secondaries just aren't worth it imo. 

Yamato's greatest asset are her monster damage+absurdly accurate guns and bow on troll armor.... focusing on that gives far better results than secondaries.  In actual practice, any time you get into close range of an enemy BB your secondaries wont do zilch..your main guns will. Vs cruisers at close range (under 14km) you will be set on quad fires guaranteed even if you one-shot kill one of the multiple cruisers focusing on you.... so really, Yamato should not even be closing into close quarters combat with any ship OTHER than a Conqueror... because that ship you either citadel at very close range or ram it.. or you won't win. 

[PVE]
[PVE]
Beta Testers
1,688 posts
3,833 battles
12 hours ago, Skyfaller said:

I recently got Yamato with Yamamoto commanding it... and I've only spent 10 points on Yamamoto (one per skill tier) given I've not decided the rest of the build here's what few tips I can tell you:

You do need 2 aircraft to launch. Yamato is too vulnerable to torpedo volleys given its usually best used highly angled or bow-on at very low speeds..and take this from someone who also runs a Shimakaze... Yamatos are the easiest kills when you flank them. They just dont have time to speed up or turn when they are in that position. 

You do need to have the time of fires and floods reduced given you'll be on fire or flooding every battle. 

Finally, GET CONCEALMENT EXPERT. When stacked with the stealth module in the ship your Yamato will have 13km detect range. This alone enables you to fire and stealth up if you need to relocate. Yamatos that do not have this are visible to like 19km and literally burned down by every cruiser and DD on the map very quickly. 

For ship upgrades:

-For the first slot, get the special upgrade that increases the repair timer action time. It saves you from so many fires its not even funny. 

-For the second slot get the aiming module. Yamato with that module becomes able to double or triple citadel other ships consistently even at long ranges. 

-Third slot is up to you.. most choose faster refire rate sacrificing turret turn speed (essentially it zeroes out your EM captain skill bonuses) because it increases DPS.... but personally I went with the +range mod... which gives my Yamato 30km base range. Range I have found, is a precious commodity in Yamato. Even at 30km you can still lolpen almost every ship out there (plunging fire!!!). Use spotting aircraft and you've got 36km lulz.... and I've used them to great effect...even one shotting an enemy carrier at 35km in the first few minutes of the game (our carrier planes spotted him) and hearing him rage.

-Fifth slot I chose the rudder over the fire duration module.. because that rudder helps you avoid so many hits and torpedoes its worth it.. plus Yamato with what I put in the first slot plus premium (silver paid) damage control kit works mighty fine. 

I have a Yamato captain I had trained prior to getting Yamamoto...and he was using the same basic build I have now except he had the manual secondaries skill learned (plus the stealth skill) at tier 4...and I noticed that the secondaries still missed like crazy so I'd say that skill is not worth it unless you also use the 2nd slot secondaries accuracy increasing skill. Just FYI. 

Personally I'm leaning towards avoiding any secondaries in Yamato now..because truth is, when you're tanking other BB's you need to be Bow-on or highly bow-on angled...and the secondaries just arent of much help there... vs a DD that pops up at close range (which only happens if you dumb enough to be near corners) they dont help much either even when fully upgraded because secondaries just wont take down a 50% or more health DD before he fires the torps that kill you..even if your main guns happen to get a shot in. So overall the secondaries just aren't worth it imo. 

Yamato's greatest asset are her monster damage+absurdly accurate guns and bow on troll armor.... focusing on that gives far better results than secondaries.  In actual practice, any time you get into close range of an enemy BB your secondaries wont do zilch..your main guns will. Vs cruisers at close range (under 14km) you will be set on quad fires guaranteed even if you one-shot kill one of the multiple cruisers focusing on you.... so really, Yamato should not even be closing into close quarters combat with any ship OTHER than a Conqueror... because that ship you either citadel at very close range or ram it.. or you won't win. 

Keep in mind that the OP mainly plays co op and will use the Yamato in co op mainly. Most of the things you've said won't apply or be valid against bots. You want to get closer to the bots in the Yamato to farm those damage as there are only 8 ships on each side. Secondary spec Yamatos in co op is incredibly good and viable. You do not need a survival focused build as you don't get focused fire very often since the bots prioritize dd's and ca's

Expert Marksman is a must in most BB especially in the Yamato. You don't want your turret rotation to be tectonic plate speed when you can have it be glacial speed.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,954 posts
10,733 battles
36 minutes ago, Vader_Sama said:

Keep in mind that the OP mainly plays co op and will use the Yamato in co op mainly. Most of the things you've said won't apply or be valid against bots. You want to get closer to the bots in the Yamato to farm those damage as there are only 8 ships on each side. Secondary spec Yamatos in co op is incredibly good and viable. You do not need a survival focused build as you don't get focused fire very often since the bots prioritize dd's and ca's

Expert Marksman is a must in most BB especially in the Yamato. You don't want your turret rotation to be tectonic plate speed when you can have it be glacial speed.

I can't see me ever playing it in Random. I have played Co-op so long my play style and skills have evolved for there.  I wouldn't want to go to a PVP T10 match and hurt my team's chances. I would have to start at the mid tiers in random and get used to it again 1st and work up through my higher tier ships to the T10's.  Maybe someday if the "salt" ever goes away in Random (yeah right NFC & LOL) I would try it again but otherwise Co-op for me. Bots aren't crude and nasty. They are just aggressive and shoot really well. LOL :Smile_ohmy:

RE; the bold section above. I have found this to have changed. I find the bots focus me a lot more now even to the exclusion of the DD and CL around. At least until I am burning and then they switch. The second the fires go out I am targeted again.

About 15K XP to go to Yamato. :Smile_izmena:

Edited by AdmiralThunder

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,954 posts
10,733 battles
13 hours ago, Skyfaller said:

For ship upgrades:

Thank you for the thoughtful response. I appreciate the time.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Beta Testers
1,688 posts
3,833 battles
57 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

RE; the bold section above. I have found this to have changed. I find the bots focus me a lot more now even to the exclusion of the DD and CL around. At least until I am burning and then they switch. The second the fires go out I am targeted again.

About 15K XP to go to Yamato. :Smile_izmena:

The trick is to not be the first to be seen. I don't find myself getting hailed with shells by bots in my Yamato since I hold my fire until I know the enemy bots have acquired their target.

Other times is when your dd's and cruisers are not in line of sight or firing arc to the enemy bots and so they will switch to what they can hit, but there are weird times where they just target you regardless.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,954 posts
10,733 battles
33 minutes ago, Vader_Sama said:

The trick is to not be the first to be seen. I don't find myself getting hailed with shells by bots in my Yamato since I hold my fire until I know the enemy bots have acquired their target.

Other times is when your dd's and cruisers are not in line of sight or firing arc to the enemy bots and so they will switch to what they can hit, but there are weird times where they just target you regardless.

Probably why I die as much as I do. I hate to sit back. I tend to push up right behind the DD and CL and get into it. LOL :Smile_izmena:

They always target me at the exclusion of things right near them. I must have a big bullseye on my ships. LOL :Smile_hiding:

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,954 posts
10,733 battles

I got there this afternoon. Yamato is now in port. My 2nd T10 earned playing Co-op. :Smile_glasses:

I decided to go with a hybrid main gun/secondary built to start and then may try swapping to a full secondary build later to see what the difference is. Current secondary range as equipped and with Capt skills is at 8.8km.For now I went with...

Slot 1 = Auxiliary Armaments Modification 1
Slot 2 = Aiming Systems Modification 1
Slot 3 = Main Battery Modification 3 
Slot 4 = Damage Control System Modification 1
Slot 5 = Steering Gears Modification 2 
Slot 6 = Concealment System Modification 1

I also put my highest level IJN Capt in which is just 13 pts (almost to 14) which uses EM to reduce that ridiculous turret rotation which got worse with the reload module (it is at 62.5 seconds right now), AR (trying it out), BFT, and AFT as well as PT and IFA to round it out.

We will see how it goes and will teak as needed. Thanks again to all for the tips and suggestions. Appreciate it.

5dQ2CNu.jpg

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Cool 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Beta Testers
1,688 posts
3,833 battles
3 hours ago, AdmiralThunder said:

I got there this afternoon. Yamato is now in port. My 2nd T10 earned playing Co-op. :Smile_glasses:

I decided to go with a hybrid main gun/secondary built to start and then may try swapping to a full secondary build later to see what the difference is. Current secondary range as equipped and with Capt skills is at 8.8km.For now I went with...

Slot 1 = Auxiliary Armaments Modification 1
Slot 2 = Aiming Systems Modification 1
Slot 3 = Main Battery Modification 3 
Slot 4 = Damage Control System Modification 1
Slot 5 = Steering Gears Modification 2 
Slot 6 = Concealment System Modification 1

I also put my highest level IJN Capt in which is just 13 pts (almost to 14) which uses EM to reduce that ridiculous turret rotation which got worse with the reload module (it is at 62.5 seconds right now), AR (trying it out), BFT, and AFT as well as PT and IFA to round it out.

We will see how it goes and will teak as needed. Thanks again to all for the tips and suggestions. Appreciate it.

5dQ2CNu.jpg

K0VPXZI.gif

On another note, I don't sit back either, I just hold my fire until the DD's and CL's spot each other first then I open up once I see shells flying. I always go full speed ahead

[BUOY]
Members
195 posts
7,915 battles

My Yammie build that suits me pretty well

MAM1 / ASM1 / MBM3 / DCSM1 / SGM2 / CSM1

For my commander at 19 points

1pt: PT / IFA

2pt: HA / EM / AR

3pt: BoS

4pt: FP / CE

As others have stated, the Yamato is NOT a brawler, you try to stay beyond 12km where the SGM2 allows you to jink and dodge a lot of hits you wouldn't with DCSM2 and let your main guns do their job deleting enemies. If enemies close with you, that's on them since the Yamato kites like no other ship in the game thanks to ignoring bow armor and having a 2.1 sigma.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,954 posts
10,733 battles

2nd game in Yamato just a few minutes ago. Wound up down caps and points and 4 v1 and pulled it out. Got to experience how AR helps and LOVE it. When you get chased by 2 Minotaur's, both pelting you non stop like rain, your HP melts off fast. That quickened reload really helped.

I really get sick of being the only human on the team as was the case in this game as you can almost guarantee at some point you will hear "you are our last hope". At least it was only 4 v 1 and not 6-8 like happens a lot.

YAS3Pr1.jpg

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,954 posts
10,733 battles

11 games in it so far and beginning to get the hang of it. Need to play a bit different due to how slow those turrets turn. Can't rush up with the DD's and CL's like I am used to doing. That is suicide in this as you get so close to the enemy DD's and CL's that you can't swing the guns around fast enough to catch up to and then shoot them. Brawling with other BB's is an issue too because of the turrets. But I am getting there.

Just had this game which was pretty good. Smoked a basically full HP Minotaur at max range with 4 shells and then ended game by rushing the enemy Montana and giving it a broadside as I flew past that had multiple citadels for over 60K to obliterate it. I definitely am not experiencing poor and inconsistent damage with Yamato as I have most all other IJN BB's. This ship hits HARD! :Smile_izmena:

15Ge4CC.jpg

x1rmDnT.jpg

Edited by AdmiralThunder

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,954 posts
10,733 battles

Really liking Yamato so far. Only 15 games in it but getting more comfortable each game I play. Just broke my personal best high score in WOWS using Yamato. I died but it cost the red team dearly. LOL I had to charge the middle 2 caps on Haven as we were down ships and the team had sort of given up I think. I got the focus on me and off them which let them regroup. Did 233K in damage, sunk 3, and damaged 4 others before I finally was taken out by the enemy Yamato a few seconds before I would have got it. I am surprised at just how much damage it can take and also how many torps it can take too. Tough ship and the guns hit hard.

P7wU0wa.jpg

[RKLES]
Members
7,234 posts
9,038 battles

Any idea what full concealment build Yamato detection range gets down to? And is it a good idea to do it?

[PVE]
[PVE]
Beta Testers
1,688 posts
3,833 battles
16 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Any idea what full concealment build Yamato detection range gets down to? And is it a good idea to do it?

Something like 13.4km detection. It's certainly better than the 18km base. Allows you to setup your position better before being detected.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,954 posts
10,733 battles
23 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

6 hours ago, Vader_Sama said:

Something like 13.4km detection. It's certainly better than the 18km base. Allows you to setup your position better before being detected.

With the concealment module mounted and your Capt running CE detection is...

• 13.5km by sea
  • 12.4km by air

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,213 posts
14,630 battles

Tier X BB concealment ranges with CSM1+CE+Concealment Camo

Yamato 13.5km

Montana 13.4km

GK 13.6km

Conqueror 11.8km

Good concealment lets Yamato move around better and not get spotted from across the galaxy and take a lot of long range gunfire, most of which you'll have problems returning shells to begin with.  Bad concealment lets you eat lots of needless damage before you even get to the spot you want to be to start fighting.  IMO.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[PVE]
[PVE]
Beta Testers
1,688 posts
3,833 battles
26 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

With the concealment module mounted and your Capt running CE detection is...

• 13.5km by sea
  • 12.4km by air

Yea got that one mixed up with the Montana.

Still damn impressive considering it's .1km off.

Sign in to follow this