Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
PicknChew

Just got the Akizuki, and I don't get it

31 comments in this topic

Members
825 posts
13,665 battles

ok. So I got that ship that more or less tops all the other DDs in terms of XP, damage and WR, at T8.

I only have few games in that ship (around 15 maybe) while I have significantly more games in the Benson. But I still seem to see the same pattern. It seems to perform better.

Yet, only 4 torps (ok there is a reload but still benson has 2*5), more damage, faster, but more detectable. 8 guns, more accurate, slightly faster, but low damage and same fire chances. Now that ship, even with all the rudder boosts, doesn't turn well and it is very slow, while the Benny is monkey agile. Both ships have similar conceal.

So what makes the Aki such a performing ship... it is still unclear to me.

[PSP]
Members
6,292 posts
8,915 battles

US DDs have a high-arcing shell. From what I've seen in videos, it's a lot easier for most players to hit moving targets with the flat-shooting Akizuki.

Members
825 posts
13,665 battles
3 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

US DDs have a high-arcing shell. From what I've seen in videos, it's a lot easier for most players to hit moving targets with the flat-shooting Akizuki.

that is very true, but I tend to cap fight, so at a fairly close range. and there the Benson seems to have more dpm. Cannot be sure though.

Now for "damage farming", the aki has a 12 Km accurate range indeed, while the Benson is all over the place past 8 Km. So that might be a very significant point indeed.

[TBOW]
Members
1,253 posts
10,700 battles

Are you using HE or AP, the Akizuki's power against DD's from what I have seen working through the USN line against that boat is it's AP against DDs is very effective and also against some cruisers

[INTEL]
Members
6,664 posts
25,767 battles

I like mine. Slow boat but with machine guns., It need IFHE. Don't waste time without it.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
3,004 posts
13,702 battles

Akizuki pumps out a ton of 100mm shells, which is good but it struggles with penetration.

This is one ship where the T4 skill IFHE really comes into its own. Especially when knife fighting over caps. Unfortunately this means you need a 14pt captain ( I take CE first) , so if you don't have one avoid putting yourself in the position of knife fighting a gun boat DD 1 v 1.

Try to play with a backup ship, second ship into the fight if possible.

[O_O]
Members
4,419 posts
9,575 battles

Yes, with IFHE this ship is a little monster.  The ROF is just short of ridiculous and with IFHE I can melt most other DD's pretty quickly, especially if I can stay angled to minimize damage taken.  Equip adrenaline rush and she just gets ridiculouser (made that one up) when she takes a bit of damage.  Her AP is strong, as well, and can really hurt most cruisers if they present a broadside.  If I catch one with his guns facing the wrong direction, I can really lay it on him.  Torp reload booster II makes you a serious torpedo threat when you need to be, and smoke allows you to escape or to cover battleships.

I love Benson, too, but the more direct line of fire coupled with IFHE and her serious AP places Akizuki at the top of my DD list.

Edited by desmo_2

[ADAPT]
Members
828 posts
13,079 battles

rain of low damage shells..give someone mental problem with endless shells.especially to the campers and reverse bb..mental breakdown..

• Cool 1

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,324 posts
6,609 battles

You can fire shells like almost no one else can. You fire 160 shells per minute, while Benson only has 93 with the same fire chance. So that little bit of penetration disadvantage is more than cancelled out.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,849 posts
11,558 battles

It's a machine gunboat. Use AP and fire fire fire.  Aim for the superstructure of armored ships and the belt of unarmored ships. You only have one torp launcher, but you have a reload booster too. Once you get IFHE then you can really start cracking out damage and using your HE too.

• Cool 1

[-K-]
Members
5,295 posts
9,113 battles

Don't play her like a prototypical IJN DD, because she's essentially the opposite.

I build my Akizuki for survivability and use her as a lethal DD hunter.  Any other DD of similar tier that gets within 10km of her usually gets roasted pretty easily.

[NERO]
Members
3,542 posts

I can say from experience she's an effective little ship. Being shot by one in a BB from max range is like being nibbled to death by ducks. Slow and steady sanity loss.  

...which come to think of it is funny since in KanColle the she and her sisters are called ducks... huh. 

[HINON]
Modder, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles

The ship requires a departure from the standard IJN flavor. 

She is a gunboat through and through, and must be treated as such.

Her HE can't pen equal, or higher tier DD hulls or superstructures of BBs unless you use IFHE, which I personally recommend. AP can really put out the hurt thanks to her rapid firing guns. 

The main thing is those guns, fastest firing in the game (tied with Gearing) doing decent damage at a rapid pace across 8 guns. They have a ridiculous muzzle velocity of 1,000m/s on both shell types, and have good range of 12.5 km.

Her torpedoes do feel lacking, but they aren't your primary strength, they are a powerful alpha supplement to your main guns, dishing out 20k a torp at 67 knots. Plus you have TRB all the time, which makes up for it.

She is slow and has a large turning circle, but she has a fast rudder shift. Basically be careful, she can get into trouble and have a hard time getting out.

She is stealthy, getting down to 5.9km with upgrades, camo, and captain skills. Making it easy to reposition for your next attack.

She has surprisingly good AA for a DD, those 100s put out a good number of DPs. 

Overall, watch some videos, become prolific in shell switching, read the map and flow of battle, and carve up destroyers or rain shells down on enemy battleships. 

Fair winds and following seas captain!:Smile_honoring:

[OO7]
[OO7]
Members
189 posts
9,007 battles

Of course you can also troll CVs with it too. With a full spec as build it can shred planes seeing as it's 4x2 100 mm guns are DP, have long as range, and benefit from manual aa. Not saying you should always run that build, but it is fun when you take it out in a div with a CV.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,840 posts
9,586 battles

Yea, the poor Benson was castrated by 6.3. IIRC, the 2 week games played in it have dropped by 50%+ since 6.3. The 5"/38 just isn't competitive with the new bloom mechanics. 

[SYN]
Members
4,548 posts
11,437 battles
2 hours ago, bandits86 said:

rain of low damage shells..give someone mental problem with endless shells.especially to the campers and reverse bb..mental breakdown..

^^ So much this.  Yes.

Little else in this game brings me greater joy than raining hell on some reverse bow-camping scrub for minutes at a time, especially while I'm playing Russian DDs.  Same goes for island campers and ships hiding behind (not in) smoke.  I always seek these guys out specifically.  If I outflank your team and spot you, you're going to hear nothing but constant hit noises and fire alarms for at least the next five or six minutes solid, while you're pulling your hair with damage control and repair, and while you and your buddies miss salvo after salvo of return fire.

1.5 - 2 million potential damage?  Psshh...  Nothing you can do about it!  :Smile_playing:

[MIA-A]
Supertester
2,589 posts
8,410 battles
5 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

The problem with that argument is that the aki shells lose velocity fast since they're very light. Out past 12km, you might as well be using the USN potato chunkers. 

Also she's kinda a hard ship to play, but when you do it right she shines. You need an 18-19 point captain to get the most out of her (1/4 HE pen when WG?), and she can absolutely murder stuff with her ROF. The torps are alright, and there aren't enough of them, but you can still get some good hits in. Trouble comes when you get too close. You're fat and slooooooow, which makes you really easy to get penblasted to smithereens. You can't really rush caps, and if you take AFT and spam from distance, you're going to be spotted all game and promptly murdered... So the key is to find the happy medium. 

Members
821 posts
3,891 battles

In another day or so I will have the XP for it.  I will research it but not buy it. It may have good fire[power from guns(it was an AA DD) , but it does not look like a good torp boat. And that slow speed combine with all the RADAR at T8-10 plus CV players at that rank that will definitely keep you spotted, looks like  unfun SUICIDE most of the time. And hanging back to play AA support (which is what the ship was designed for) will lead to being cussed out and low damage , low score.low credit games), besides even with good AA at T8, it will be often be shooting T9-10 AC, so it takes a hit there. 

9 million credits is  a lot , particularly for players who don't have premium ships to farm credits, and particularly for a slow gunboat AADD , at Teir8, that is going to be constantly up tiered aginst better ships and lots of  detection at T8+. I 'll take 9 milion credits and buy a Kagero(I almost have the Xp for that one as well ) and go that way. Shiratsulu seems to be the ulitmate for that IJN DD offshoot line as far a IJN torp DD, the Akisuku looks like a square peg  tacked on at the end.  

what does the torp reload selection replace? smoke or AA? either one seems kinda necessary for that  boat more than torp reload. IDK

Members
594 posts
4,435 battles
33 minutes ago, Kuckoo said:

^^ So much this.  Yes.

Little else in this game brings me greater joy than raining hell on some reverse bow-camping scrub for minutes at a time, especially while I'm playing Russian DDs.  Same goes for island campers and ships hiding behind (not in) smoke.  I always seek these guys out specifically.  If I outflank your team and spot you, you're going to hear nothing but constant hit noises and fire alarms for at least the next five or six minutes solid, while you're pulling your hair with damage control and repair, and while you and your buddies miss salvo after salvo of return fire.

1.5 - 2 million potential damage?  Psshh...  Nothing you can do about it!  :Smile_playing:

Blink. Peekaboo. Citadel. Boom. My Scharnhorst sends its regards.

I do want to have fun in this ship eventually though, so nice to hear some alternative builds.

[HINON]
Modder, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles
13 minutes ago, Strachwitz666 said:

what does the torp reload selection replace? smoke or AA? either one seems kinda necessary for that  boat more than torp reload. IDK

It doesn't choose. It gets both together. It doesn't get DFAA.

• Cool 1

[SPUDS]
[SPUDS]
Members
570 posts
3,350 battles

Short version:

6.3 made her a hard ship to play, so now only the hard play her.

long version:

Akizuki is actually a pretty hard ship to play. She's the end of her line, so there's not much incentive to play her if you're just trying to grind through. Her only advantage is the theoretical DPM of her guns.

This all comes together to mean that people who don't WANT to play Akizuki don't play her.

She has the distinct advantage that her specific player base is arguably more skilled than other T8 DDs, as anyone who can't make ample use of that DPM simply sell her and move down a different line.

She's a royal PITA to play, and incredibly hard to do well in. 50% of your shells shatter on anything other than DDs.

But... landing 8 citadels in a fight with a pensacola, and then going on to take down an atlanta simply because of sheer DPM+lack of citadel reminds me that this ship is not a normal IJN DD. She doesn't run away from light cruisers, and easily handles anything lower tier than her.

If you know what you're doing.

At her best, she's a citadel spamming machine.

At her worst, she's instagibbed by a stray torpedo that you're just too sluggish to dodge.

She's my duck, and I'll take her inconsistent, slow burn of damage, cause to this day she's still my favorite ship.

Edit: I should upload one of today's matches where a scharnhorst and I hold an entire flank while our team mops up a 12v(6 or 7 I don't really remember)

Edited by JackBinary

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,447 posts
3,875 battles

Someone around here, I forget who, insists that Akizuki is exactly like Khabarovsk.

You know, just 20 knots slower, and without a plate that makes most of its hull immune to 8 inch HE.

• Cool 1

[SPUDS]
[SPUDS]
Members
570 posts
3,350 battles
3 minutes ago, AraAragami said:

Someone around here, I forget who, insists that Akizuki is exactly like Khabarovsk.

You know, just 20 knots slower, and without a plate that makes most of its hull immune to 8 inch HE.

Khabarovsk is like the love child of Shimakaze and Akizuki...

Except on a whole lot of cocaine.

[SYN]
Members
4,548 posts
11,437 battles
8 minutes ago, AraAragami said:

...and repair to take back any damage she does take from HE.

...and own HE that inflicts cruiser-like damage.

Yah.  Exactly like the Khab.

Sure.

:cap_book:

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,447 posts
3,875 battles
5 minutes ago, JackBinary said:

Khabarovsk is like the love child of Shimakaze and Akizuki...

Except on a whole lot of cocaine.

If WG ever remembers this line, you just described the theoretical tier 9.

Super Akizuki was supposed to have Shimakaze's engine.

And a natural evolution of that would suggest the tier 10 would drop the 10cm/65s for upgraded 12.7cm dual purpose guns.

Sign in to follow this