You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Texas_Vet

Lessons Learned - get the nube out of me

7 comments in this topic

[B_O_W]
Members
247 posts
5,498 battles

It has taken a while to fight through to stomp on my poor game play.  The first thing I had to realize, it was not the ship, it was my tactics.  I really sucked at commanding the Pensacola.  It is a good ship, but it was my tactics.  I also suffered from poor thinking when using a US DD, or any DD for that sake.

So, I watched a ton of youtube videos on targeted ships.  I would watch and listen to the commentary, to the logic of what to do and where to go, depending upon the situation.  I practiced what I learned by playing against bots, then normal matches.  (Yes, bots play different than human skippered ships!)  So putting that into play during a match is still a challenge.  But the results are that I am causing much more damage, killing more ships, helping my team win more battles, and surviving more battles.

So if you feel troubled about a lack of success, then try:

• Watching YouTube videos that focus on the ships you currently have.  Listen to the logic of tactics.
  • Practice what you learn by fighting bots.
  • Look at the mini map!  Keep on eye on everything on the battlefield!
  • Keep and eye on the in game chats.  You will be surprised about the information or warnings other players provide.
  • If you are going to launch torps, LOOK FIRST!  Never launch torps if there is a hint of a chance of hitting a team mate.
  • Be a good team mate, be nice in chat
  • Think at all times.

It is not easy fighting against your own bad tactics, poor game play.  But if you want to have some fun, it is something that must be addressed.  I faced myself in the mirror, and still fight my stupid self.  But I am getting better.  I hope all of you are successful in fighting the nube in you. (that is in all of us...)

Edited by Texas_Vet
  • Cool 4

Members
566 posts
1,895 battles
2 hours ago, Texas_Vet said:

It has taken a while to fight through to stomp on my poor game play.  The first thing I had to realize, it was not the ship, it was my tactics.  I really sucked at commanding the Pensacola.  It is a good ship, but it was my tactics.  I also suffered from poor thinking when using a US DD, or any DD for that sake.

So, I watched a ton of youtube videos on targeted ships.  I would watch and listen to the commentary, to the logic of what to do and where to go, depending upon the situation.  I practiced what I learned by playing against bots, then normal matches.  (Yes, bots play different than human skippered ships!)  So putting that into play during a match is still a challenge.  But the results are that I am causing much more damage, killing more ships, helping my team win more battles, and surviving more battles.

So if you feel troubled about a lack of success, then try:

• Watching YouTube videos that focus on the ships you currently have.  Listen to the logic of tactics.
  • Practice what you learn by fighting bots.
  • Look at the mini map!  Keep on eye on everything on the battlefield!
  • Keep and eye on the in game chats.  You will be surprised about the information or warnings other players provide.
  • If you are going to launch torps, LOOK FIRST!  Never launch torps if there is a hint of a chance of hitting a team mate.
  • Be a good team mate, be nice in chat
  • Think at all times.

It is not easy fighting against your own bad tactics, poor game play.  But if you want to have some fun, it is something that must be addressed.  I faced myself in the mirror, and still fight my stupid self.  But I am getting better.  I hope all of you are successful in fighting the nube in you. (that is in all of us...)

This should be read by all of us poor players. I think it is excellent advice and will be helpful to almost anyone with performance issues? I know I try to watch many U-tubers (most talk too fast) Hope to improve soon otherwise no one will allow me on their team.lol Thank you Mr. Vet and for service to our countries. (mine Japan) (oh if you are able help your wonderful USS. Texas as she is very ill.) 

• Cool 1

[ANIME]
Members
51 posts
1,325 battles

Great advice!
It's taken me hundreds of games becoming decent at aiming from different ships. Now that I have good muscle memory with landing hits, I'm now becoming better at map tactics (still much to learn). Watching videos to learn about ships you'll play against, but do not have yourself, is invaluable.

[B_O_W]
Members
247 posts
5,498 battles

I changed my aim guide to dynamic (it is in settings).  This really helped.  The measurement ticks are easily understood as seconds to where the shots land.  Fast ships ae about 10, slower are about 5 (generic rule of thumb)

[B_O_W]
Members
247 posts
5,498 battles

Captain Skills are also important to select for your ship and ship class as well.  You do NOT need to go down the line from 1 to 4 in a vertical order.  Any 1, then any 2, then any 3, then any 4.  You will earn 19 points total.  For my DD's and Cruisers, my first three selections are always the same:

1 point:  Priority Target (first one I select).  This will let you know if the enemy can see you, and how many, ship or plane.

2 Points:  Last Stand (2nd selection).  If you get a damaged engine or rudder, that can quickly end you match.  This will allow you to continue to motor and maneuver until repaired.

3 Points:  Superintendent (3rd selection).  You get an extra of every expendable.  That includes smoke screen, turbo-engine, scout or fighter plane, enhanced air defense, etc.

For American DD's, my next election is a 3 Point is Basic Firing Training.  It will increase your main gun rate of fire, plus damage of AA.  More important for the main guns.  Put this on a US DD and watch the shells fly!  Followed by the 4 point Concealment Expert.  DD's need to hide.

Cruisers, BB's, and Carriers all have different needs.

And -

Pay attention to your detection circle on the mini map.  Look at the outer dotted line.  If someone is within that circle, they can see you and hurt or sink you.  When you fire guns, they will detect you, so be careful and use islands to hide quickly, hide in smoke, etc.

[SYN]
Members
234 posts
3,652 battles

Great advice from all of you!

I agree that it wouldn't hurt any of the new (and, for that matter, many older) players to heed this great advice!

Thanks for bring this up!

[B_O_W]
Members
247 posts
5,498 battles

Do not work to advance to a higher tier for your country and class of ship with the expectations to do better.  For example, the Tier 2 Japanese DD is awesome!  Get good on that one before upgrading to a higher tier.

The Farragot US Tier 6 DD is fantastic!  Going to the Mahann Tier 7 DD is a good upgrade because of the torp range, but you need to be good with the Farragot before you upgrade.  I have had some fantastic battles with great success in the Farragot.  Still, much more to do before I push hard in the Mahann.

If you are only doing ok in your tier 3 or 4 ship, work it before you upgrade to a higher tier.  You will be much happier and the frustration will not follow you.  There are times where I get blasted without seeing any of the Red team!  My fault for not starting to wiggle or significant change of direction when I was detected....  So work with what you have, play against bots, and learn from EVERY match where you got nailed very early without doing any or much damage.....

• Cool 2