You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
R35T_NO_MORE

I think i need help, please.

54 comments in this topic

[TF57]
Members
1,380 posts
4,063 battles

Everyone know *that* Lowe driver :-p

Only here it's the Tirpitz/Alabama!

(When the latter came out, I used to calculate my win chance by the number of Alabamas on my team: more than one, and we were screwed)

[INTEL]
Members
9,493 posts
27,138 battles

I'd go down to a lower tier IJN DD and play it a lot. That will teach you map awareness -- a DD is like a rabbit crossing a meadow that is being watched by a hawk -- and positioning, as well as developing a feel for that moment when it is time to grab the enemy's cap. Situational awareness is important for every ship type, and DDs are good at teaching that.

Hood is fast and tanky, so when you screw up positioning, it is easy to correct and you can often escape serious punishment. That's deceptive. Many BBs, even fast ones, don't recover well from bad positioning. For example, it is difficult to turn around N Carolina, Iowa, Nelson, Fuso, Izumo, and Yamato (to name only a few) without eating citadels. The slow US BBs are frequently out of position. If you play Hood, you won't develop that feel for where you should be, and more importantly, where you should be going. 

[TF57]
Members
1,380 posts
4,063 battles

BBs are pretty forgiving, period.  Damage that kills a DD or cripples a cruiser can be shrugged off/repaired. You can learn a lot of bad habits if you focus excessively on BB early.

A cruiser is probably best for teaching all-round gameplay; probably IJN or Soviet as they are pretty solid all the way through and have a conventional playstyle (unlike, say, British cruisers) without any real "lemons" to frustrate you as you progress.   

Then, try some DDs. They are pretty varied; I'd say try IJN to tier 4-5 to see if you like the stealthy torpedo life; and get a gun-focussed line like USA or Soviets. (Izyslav and Clemson are powerful and fun at tier 4)

[WOLF4]
Members
122 posts
5,976 battles

Looking back on things, the time spent in my early days playing low tier cruisers was worth it.  They're good for teaching the basics of shot leading.  The most important thing is to stick with it - there are always matches that make you want to throw things, but then along come the matches where it all comes together and you feel like Poseidon himself.