You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
R35T_NO_MORE

I think i need help, please.

54 comments in this topic

[BNKR]
Members
50 posts
617 battles

Hi. I could do with some help and advice please. Fairly new to the game, and still learning the ropes. However, i hate failing and dragging my team down so want to improve as fast as possible. I'm spending alot of my time in co-op due to it, but that makes grinding very slow.

Do any of you have any important tips for newer players? I've gone up a couple of BB lines so far but battlecruisers seem to be my preferred ships (HMS Hood, and Admiral Graf Spee, really enjoy using them), are there any things i should be doing/avoiding when using them? So far i'm trying to focus on sticking with allies, hunting cruisers,avoiding areas with lots lots of land mass, and then trying to hunt down lone BBs at the end of the game. 

I often end up kiting people, and stay alive longer than i should by doing so, but that's about the only tactic i know. I'm struggling alot with basics, like getting shells to pen. Alot seem to shatter and my aiming isn't great (came here from console so my getting used to the laptops touch pad is taking a while). How do i lead properly, and make shells pen more reliably? I can citadel bots in co-op easily enough but i'm getting hits against players with little to no damage quite often, i've tried using HE when ships are angled, to limited effect. Any help here is greatly appreciated.

1 other question, does MM get less brutal? Playing tier 5 and 6 is a baptism by fire. 

• Cool 3

[-BRS-]
Members
1,640 posts
13,617 battles

I had a hard time when I first started because I was playing battleships mostly but I found that something with faster guns teaches you the skills of hitting a Target leading a Target so forth so forth just get more opportunities

so I would keep at Co-op it's good practice play Cruiser until your good at it because it also teaches you the skills of not getting broadsided and until you get really good at it you'll get killed a lot so that just means more games to practice

Good luck welcome aboard

• Cool 1

[NO]
Members
360 posts
13,122 battles

1)play rands... your team needs to learn how to carry anyways

2)if you want to learn battlecrusiers play the NC it teaches u good things

3)I rather u be a noob that is too aggressive then too defensive. Since u would thus be able to learn what ur ship is capable of surviving instead of never learning that.

4) learn from criticism.

• Cool 3

[-BRS-]
Members
1,640 posts
13,617 battles

One more thing this game you get better with practice that's a hard thing because a lot of people want to be good right away I think that's one of the reasons why I really like this game because it is hard and it does take practice

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
6,664 posts
25,773 battles

Tier 5 and 6 can get up-tiered two levels (an they usually do). Tough sometimes if you are not comfortable facing T7 and T8.

Hood and Graf Spee you mentioned are Premium ships. Are you comfortable with similar ships in the tree where you learned the tiers naturally? They are both good, (esp,. Hood).

Watch videos in YouTube for the ships in question. There are many good community contributors.

• Cool 1

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

use a mouse not the touch pad all laptops have a port for it

I use a wireless mouse the tiny module is un intrusive on a laptop.

• Cool 2

Members
448 posts
7,474 battles
17 minutes ago, R35T_NO_MORE said:

I'm struggling alot with basics, like getting shells to pen. Alot seem to shatter and my aiming isn't great (came here from console so my getting used to the laptops touch pad is taking a while). How do i lead properly, and make shells pen more reliably.

Step one: Buy a proper mouse for your laptop, your aim(and overall performance) will improve immensely.  Touch pad is probably not cutting it precision-wise.

• Cool 1

[TBW]
Members
6,409 posts
12,057 battles

My advice is to stay in Random battles if you prefer Random. The play style in co op is a lot different and you will have to break some bad habits when you get to Randoms. Random battles are like picking Kickball teams in grade school. It doesn't really matter if you are good or bad, it's bound to be a route one way or the other most of the time. Watch videos is a really good idea.

• Cool 1

[BNKR]
Members
50 posts
617 battles
58 minutes ago, silverdahc said:

I had a hard time when I first started because I was playing battleships mostly but I found that something with faster guns teaches you the skills of hitting a Target leading a Target so forth so forth just get more opportunities

so I would keep at Co-op it's good practice play Cruiser until your good at it because it also teaches you the skills of not getting broadsided and until you get really good at it you'll get killed a lot so that just means more games to practice

Good luck welcome aboard

Thanks for the tip. The only cruiser above tier 2 that i have is the Graf Spee,  but she isn't a typical cruiser, would you recommend any cruiser lines?

58 minutes ago, holycrazyasian said:

1)play rands... your team needs to learn how to carry anyways

True, however i'm used to doing the carrying on WoT and despise being the backpack.

2)if you want to learn battlecrusiers play the NC it teaches u good things

NC?

3)I rather u be a noob that is too aggressive then too defensive. Since u would thus be able to learn what ur ship is capable of surviving instead of never learning that.

Due to WoT i'm very aggressive playstyle wise here too, a BB should be drawing attention away from the other ships i figure, just like a heavy in WoT. Just need to know when i'm going to far, ships can't get out of danger as fast if things go wrong 

4) learn from criticism.

Will do, i'm not the snowflake type :-) 

Thanks for the tips, it's appreciated. 

[-DPF-]
Members
769 posts
8,215 battles

Search for the thread "How to control your win rate" by LittleWhiteMouse.  Follow the instructions.  Improve rapidly.:cap_like:

• Cool 1

[NDA]
Supertester
4,845 posts
13,829 battles

I would watch the how to guides like the Captains Academy that iChase did or any YouTube video regarding tactics. Notser an Flamu are good sources as well. Than practice, practice, practice and when the game is done spend some time before pushing that battle button again asking what could I have done better in that battle. A good player is more critical of their own plays than of those of their team mates. 

And don't be bogged down with how you are right now, work toward small goals of personal improvements. 

Stat sights can be a big help as you track your progress, see spoiler contents. 

Spoiler

People like this sight and its were the WTR comes from.

https://na.warships.today/

This is another sight and my favorite for the info it shows on a player.

https://na.wows-numbers.com/

I myself was once a 48% player, I blame the once terrible Furry Taco, but I buckled down and started working at the game. I consumed guides, how to videos, I practiced what I saw and I kept playing Randoms. I think it was around 1000 battles before things started to click and I felt like I was helping my team and stats. Today I can point to my stats and say I earned those the hard way.

Good luck and fair seas to you,

• Cool 1

[WOLF5]
Members
1,538 posts
2,143 battles

First, as others said, get a mouse. LMB for fire, RMB for look around, I've bound the zoom to the MMB, and aiming is much easier. You can probably get one for less than 10 bucks, will help you more than any premium.

You have less than 200 battles in Random. Of course you're terrible. All of us were, some us still are (I'm not the greatest player, I know). Practice is what really helps aiming, positioning, everything. Play in Randoms, most people there are no better, and the better ones need practice carrying (I'm going to have to give my Missouri a rest from the carrying it's been doing lately).

However, don't play your high tier premiums in randoms, that's going to get you squashed. I saw someone who fail divisioned into a T10 match with his Scharnhorst, had probably never played it before it showed up in his port today as a rental. Didn't go well for him (then again, Scharn vs MO isn't even fair). Play up the tech trees, and don't get a premium higher than your tech tree.

Which tech tree, eh, doesn't really matter. Don't try CVs. BBs are forgiving, CLs are not, and DDs are fun but short lived. Pick a few that you like.

What you'll pick up is situational awareness and map reading ability. Those are the hardest skills to master (I haven't). A lot of this game is instinct, when that DD is going to turn and torp, just where to aim on that cruiser turning broadside, which channel that BB is likely to use, etc. Practice makes perfect. Probably takes 500 games to get a good sense for the game and it's mechanics (and some still haven't got them).

NC is the USN T8 BB, great ship.

Finally, any questions, ask here. Most are happy to help if you can. Enable replays now, so if you run into a problem, you and us can go and look at it.

Good Luck!

• Cool 2

[BNKR]
Members
50 posts
617 battles
1 hour ago, silverdahc said:

One more thing this game you get better with practice that's a hard thing because a lot of people want to be good right away I think that's one of the reasons why I really like this game because it is hard and it does take practice

That's very true. 

1 hour ago, alexf24 said:

Tier 5 and 6 can get up-tiered two levels (an they usually do). Tough sometimes if you are not comfortable facing T7 and T8.

Hood and Graf Spee you mentioned are Premium ships. Are you comfortable with similar ships in the tree where you learned the tiers naturally? They are both good, (esp,. Hood).

Watch videos in YouTube for the ships in question. There are many good community contributors.

I've quite liked the German bb line so far, i'm only at tier 4 with the British ships. I'm liking speed atm though, being able to flex around the map seems to be more useful than armour (but get both with Hood thankfully).

I played the Orion over the British weekend and fell victim to alot of torps and it was too slow to dodge, so i'm not enjoying that ship much atm. I'm enjoying Warspite, but then again, she can dodge. Cruisers are sounding better and better though.

The premiums were gifts, and i've noticed that the Graf Spee is less forgiving than Hood, although the unique playstyle is alot of fun. Finding the sweet spot, range wise, seems to be the difference between a good and bad game with it so far. 

1 hour ago, CLUCH_CARGO said:

use a mouse not the touch pad all laptops have a port for it

I use a wireless mouse the tiny module is un intrusive on a laptop.

I'll look into getting one then, thanks for the tip. The touch pad is awful lol, CQC is a nightmare as is precision aiming. 

Edited by R35T_NO_MORE

[BNKR]
Members
50 posts
617 battles
1 hour ago, Nhi_Vanye said:

Search for the thread "How to control your win rate" by LittleWhiteMouse.  Follow the instructions.  Improve rapidly.:cap_like:

Will do, thanks for the heads up :-) 

1 hour ago, RedSeaBear said:

I would watch the how to guides like the Captains Academy that iChase did or any YouTube video regarding tactics. Notser an Flamu are good sources as well. Than practice, practice, practice and when the game is done spend some time before pushing that battle button again asking what could I have done better in that battle. A good player is more critical of their own plays than of those of their team mates. 

And don't be bogged down with how you are right now, work toward small goals of personal improvements. 

Stat sights can be a big help as you track your progress, see spoiler contents. 

Reveal hidden contents

People like this sight and its were the WTR comes from.

https://na.warships.today/

This is another sight and my favorite for the info it shows on a player.

https://na.wows-numbers.com/

I myself was once a 48% player, I blame the once terrible Furry Taco, but I buckled down and started working at the game. I consumed guides, how to videos, I practiced what I saw and I kept playing Randoms. I think it was around 1000 battles before things started to click and I felt like I was helping my team and stats. Today I can point to my stats and say I earned those the hard way.

Good luck and fair seas to you,

Thanks for the site links, they seem to be similar to wotinfo for tanks. I'll take your advice, it's similar to the advice i give on the wot forums but listening to your own advice is always harder for some reason, especially when getting frustrated with failure. Thanks for the advice and clarity. 

57 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

First, as others said, get a mouse. LMB for fire, RMB for look around, I've bound the zoom to the MMB, and aiming is much easier. You can probably get one for less than 10 bucks, will help you more than any premium.

You have less than 200 battles in Random. Of course you're terrible. All of us were, some us still are (I'm not the greatest player, I know). Practice is what really helps aiming, positioning, everything. Play in Randoms, most people there are no better, and the better ones need practice carrying (I'm going to have to give my Missouri a rest from the carrying it's been doing lately).

However, don't play your high tier premiums in randoms, that's going to get you squashed. I saw someone who fail divisioned into a T10 match with his Scharnhorst, had probably never played it before it showed up in his port today as a rental. Didn't go well for him (then again, Scharn vs MO isn't even fair). Play up the tech trees, and don't get a premium higher than your tech tree.

Which tech tree, eh, doesn't really matter. Don't try CVs. BBs are forgiving, CLs are not, and DDs are fun but short lived. Pick a few that you like.

What you'll pick up is situational awareness and map reading ability. Those are the hardest skills to master (I haven't). A lot of this game is instinct, when that DD is going to turn and torp, just where to aim on that cruiser turning broadside, which channel that BB is likely to use, etc. Practice makes perfect. Probably takes 500 games to get a good sense for the game and it's mechanics (and some still haven't got them).

NC is the USN T8 BB, great ship.

Finally, any questions, ask here. Most are happy to help if you can. Enable replays now, so if you run into a problem, you and us can go and look at it.

Good Luck!

I'm thinking i might stay at tier 4 in randoms for a bit, due to the PMM. I've taken Hood out a couple of times, had 1 game where i did ok, got stuck in, tanked dmg, but team just folded. In another i met a couple of enemy Atlanta's. That was brutal. 

I'm keeping a good eye on the map, however torps are a threat i'm not used to, when people turn to launch them i'm too busy getting tunnel vision hoping to score a citadel instead of moving to evade the torps. I'll work on that. 

I recently got Aslains mod and enabled replays. I think i have to get seperate software to be able to upload them though, i'll look into that. 

Thanks for the replies so far guys :-) i'll put it all to good use.

[WOLF5]
Members
1,538 posts
2,143 battles
4 minutes ago, R35T_NO_MORE said:

Will do, thanks for the heads up :-) 

Thanks for the site links, they seem to be similar to wotinfo for tanks. I'll take your advice, it's similar to the advice i give on the wot forums but listening to your own advice is always harder for some reason, especially when getting frustrated with failure. Thanks for the advice and clarity. 

I'm thinking i might stay at tier 4 in randoms for a bit, due to the PMM. I've taken Hood out a couple of times, had 1 game where i did ok, got stuck in, tanked dmg, but team just folded. In another i met a couple of enemy Atlanta's. That was brutal. 

I'm keeping a good eye on the map, however torps are a threat i'm not used to, when people turn to launch them i'm too busy getting tunnel vision hoping to score a citadel instead of moving to evade the torps. I'll work on that. 

I recently got Aslains mod and enabled replays. I think i have to get seperate software to be able to upload them though, i'll look into that. 

Thanks for the replies so far guys :-) i'll put it all to good use.

T4 MM is protected, they don't see T6. Thus the T5s are usually bottom tier, seeing T7. T5 is a rough tier right now. It does get better. But then T8 is normal, but people complain because they're not top tier every time like they are at T7.

[BNKR]
Members
50 posts
617 battles
58 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

T4 MM is protected, they don't see T6. Thus the T5s are usually bottom tier, seeing T7. T5 is a rough tier right now. It does get better. But then T8 is normal, but people complain because they're not top tier every time like they are at T7.

Fair enough, tier 4 it is then, for now. I'll play 5 here and there so as to not get too used to PMM. Being bottom tier is a learning tool in itself. I didn't know that tier 7 tends to be top. I'll bear that in mind. Tier 8 i'm hoping follows a similar playstyle to tanks. Never go anywhere alone, support top tier tanks, pick of weak enemies, flank high tier vehicles when they are distracted etc. The Bismarck is at tier 8, i'd love to have that in my garage but i'm not ready to fight tier Xs here yet so not going to rush toward it. 

Damn i'm out of upvotes. We only get 10 here? Ah well. I did hope to upvote every reply. 

Edited by R35T_NO_MORE

[-V-]
Members
803 posts
3,640 battles

All good advice above.

Play some Co-Op. Learn your ship. Great place to learn how to shoot.

Watch some videos.

Use the Training Room, if you have it. This can help to show you the angles of various ships and the different dispersion's on different ships.

Don't rush. and BTW, kiting can be fun.

Good luck.

[BNKR]
Members
50 posts
617 battles
53 minutes ago, LoneStormchaser said:

All good advice above.

Play some Co-Op. Learn your ship. Great place to learn how to shoot.

Watch some videos.

Use the Training Room, if you have it. This can help to show you the angles of various ships and the different dispersion's on different ships.

Don't rush. and BTW, kiting can be fun.

Good luck.

I activated training room, for some reason i can only seem to get a single tier 2 ship on the other team despite me picking different ships in the drop down tab. No doubt just me being daft, new to computers, been a console peasant for too long lol. 

It does all seem like great advice. People here are really helpful :-) 

[NG-NL]
Members
5,026 posts
8,264 battles

Sounds you're aggressive, go in, throw punches, and leave a trail of bodies behind. German BB line specializes in brawling, so definitely worth that playstyle. US DD line is also fairly in-your-face, and beginning with T7 (Mahan) it gets a decent stealth option, plus their RoF whacks anything that gets within 9km.

I'd also suggest the KMS DD line, they can brawl reasonably against other DDs and starting at T6 (Gaede) they get some good torps.

Another thing to work on is timing your charge. Do it too early, you're the only target for 8 players and boom within 30 seconds. Better to push in with support so you live longer, cause a dead teammate isn't much good. Co-op teaches you to just charge in, but in Random, that'll just make you an easy kill--and nobody rejects an easy kill in Random.

I would also suggest playing the other lines up to T6, get a feel for how they work, be it ranged flamethrower w/ weak armor (Russian cruisers), medium-range BB (Japanese), and whatnot. If you know what the line's strengths and weaknesses are, without needing to think, you're better able to work on habits for responding appropriately. If going against an IJN cruiser in your KMS BB, for instance, you'll better time when to turn in because every IJN cruiser has the most powerful torpedoes at each tier, compared to counterparts.

• Cool 1

[BNKR]
Members
50 posts
617 battles

Sounds like amazing advice and i really appreciate the line overviews. There's alot of different ones to pick and it can be a bit daunting trying to decide which to use. 

I'll get cracking on some CA and DD grinds tomorrow, makes sense to learn how they work. Thanks for the tips Reymu. I'd upvote if i could. 

Edited by R35T_NO_MORE

[-V-]
Members
803 posts
3,640 battles
8 minutes ago, R35T_NO_MORE said:

I activated training room, for some reason i can only seem to get a single tier 2 ship on the other team despite me picking different ships in the drop down tab. No doubt just me being daft, new to computers, been a console peasant for too long lol. 

It does all seem like great advice. People here are really helpful :-) 

You have to pick the number of ships. 1x1 : 2x2 : 3x3 : etc. Upper left where you pick the "training room" format. Length of match. etc. You have to drag the ships, ships you choose to the enemy side. They'll stick. Might take a couple tries.

If you want them to fire at you and move, you have to check armed and active.

[BNKR]
Members
50 posts
617 battles
55 minutes ago, LoneStormchaser said:

You have to pick the number of ships. 1x1 : 2x2 : 3x3 : etc. Upper left where you pick the "training room" format. Length of match. etc. You have to drag the ships, ships you choose to the enemy side. They'll stick. Might take a couple tries.

If you want them to fire at you and move, you have to check armed and active.

Ah ok, thanks:-) I thought that was maybe something to do with map size for some reason. I'll load it up again tomorrow and give it a go, hope the touch pad doesn't decide to troll me. 

A mouse is a huge priority. 

Edited by R35T_NO_MORE

[-V-]
Members
803 posts
3,640 battles

3 ships may be the max for a 20 minute training room session, depends on what you want to accomplish. Also, you can save the format you choose. Kinda helps when you ever want to go back in.

Training room is great to learn the various maps.