You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Grathew

Example of Strike Lexington

3 comments in this topic

[M_L]
[M_L]
Beta Testers
321 posts
8,849 battles

There's a few posts asking "how does one strike Lexington?" So I played a game to get an example If you want to review the replay here it is. 

Spoiler

https://replayswows.com/replay/7022#stats

Note I do report the guy who gave away their carriers position because that's unsportsmanlike like and I don't think that should be encouraged or tolerated. 

All in all not the best game, the cyclone really worked to my advantage also going up against a mostly stock Lexington helped a lot too. All in all I do what I normally do with strike Lexington, use the torpedo bombers as scouts and bait, and use my 21 dive bombers to burn every ship to the water line or at least make them DC the four fires I just set so that the next fire set will burn for a good amount of health. Also there was a CV snipe attempt early on. One defensive fire later that was the end of that. I ended up shooting down the most aircraft by any ship because of it too. Which is ironic constituting that I don't have any fighters. If you guys have any questions I'll do my best to answer them. I will note I just wish I could have gotten a close quarter's expert on that Iowa. I was planning on going for it too. 

If you are wondering about skills/upgrades 

Spoiler

shot-17_10.12_16_16.11-0420.thumb.jpg.d9d6dd8d624bda1e541e0fc7f1e5260b.jpgshot-17_10.12_16_16_16-0763.thumb.jpg.452b8ed412150cd721ce2cb25bcdea96.jpg

Beta Testers
26 posts
841 battles

Interesting! Thanks for sharing :) 

I am enjoying the Lexington more now that I unlocked the 1000 lbs bombs. I find the trick is really to just bait the fighters, and just micromanaging my bombers. It really isn't so bad without fighters as people make it out to be; especially with the amazing AA on the Lexington, just try to bait the fighters to your ship. 

• Cool 1

Members
328 posts
10,303 battles

I agree with you, Strike is  most beneficial to the team even though everyone getting bombed relentlessly will say otherwise. American CVs were set forth to sink heavy tonnage, not provide a AA umbrella. Thats what their CLs where laid out for, and BBs for that matter.

So in this game i play them that way. First wave against anything but a Lex is a CV strike. The only CV/Loadout that continually gives me a headache is a AS Lex in a low tier game, since the ships AA is low enough that baiting his fighters into it doesnt yield many squadron wipes