You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
capncrunch21

I love Operations, but I never play them.

24 comments in this topic

[SIMP]
Members
1,020 posts

Hi WG,

I love, absolutely love, Operations. They are really well put together and lots of fun - the Dunkirk and Halloween Ops are fantastic!!

But I almost never play the regular Operations, even though I really like them, because the win to loss ratio for them is so low. This isn't because they are badly put together, just the opposite, they are very good. But this means that a win, let alone a full (5-star) win depends entirely on RNG  - who Match Maker throws on your team. More often than not, the team will be bad, resulting in a loss. (I can only carry the team so much - lol!)

My personal estimate is that I win 1 out of 5 Operations. And those wins are usually 1-3 stars, let alone 5. This results in fairly poor XP for the time invested. I can, and do, make more XP playing regular Co-op matches averaging the same amount of time. This is why I don't play Operations anymore. (And yes, the one time rewards were very nice, but aren't an incentive to KEEP playing the missions when the win ratios are so terrible).

I would like to suggest tweaking regular Ops so that the win/loss rate CONSISTENTLY approaches 50% or greater (most regular co-op matches have a high 90% chance rate to win). If I knew I wasn't probably going to waste my time, and had at least a 50/50 chance to win, I would be playing Operations all the time. It would still give me less XP than playing PvP, but at least I would start spending money on them again, knowing I wouldn't be wasting my time.

[PVE]
Members
9,766 posts
7,472 battles
7 minutes ago, capncrunch21 said:

Hi WG,

I love, absolutely love, Operations. They are really well put together and lots of fun - the Dunkirk and Halloween Ops are fantastic!!

But I almost never play the regular Operations, even though I really like them, because the win to loss ratio for them is so low. This isn't because they are badly put together, just the opposite, they are very good. But this means that a win, let alone a full (5-star) win depends entirely on RNG  - who Match Maker throws on your team. More often than not, the team will be bad, resulting in a loss. (I can only carry the team so much - lol!)

My personal estimate is that I win 1 out of 5 Operations. And those wins are usually 1-3 stars, let alone 5. This results in fairly poor XP for the time invested. I can, and do, make more XP playing regular Co-op matches averaging the same amount of time. This is why I don't play Operations anymore. (And yes, the one time rewards were very nice, but aren't an incentive to KEEP playing the missions when the win ratios are so terrible).

I would like to suggest tweaking regular Ops so that the win/loss rate CONSISTENTLY approaches 50% or greater (most regular co-op matches have a high 90% chance rate to win). If I knew I wasn't probably going to waste my time, and had at least a 50/50 chance to win, I would be playing Operations all the time. It would still give me less XP than playing PvP, but at least I would start spending money on them again, knowing I wouldn't be wasting my time.

I love the operations and will play them to grind my T6 ships and captains. I win most of the time, roughly 4 or 5 wins to a loss. Usually the losses are the first couple of times playing, because then I know what to expect. I win more in BBs than cruisers. I haven't played a DD in operations yet as T6 DDs and I don't work well together. :)

[SF-3]
Members
1,536 posts
8,127 battles

I usually do pretty well in ops actually, hardly ever lose. I usually play my CV and do pretty well. Getting 5 stars is a bit harder because you need more than 1-2 people who can carry on a team. If you're looking for some help look me up, usually on in the evenings 8pm EST, and sporadically during the weekends. Cant guarantee a 5 star win but can do pretty good.

[TBW]
Members
6,406 posts
12,050 battles

I have been making bank in the operations, XP I don't care about (well, elite ship xp) but I have a better success rate on some scenarios than others. The worst one is defense of naval station.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

Beta Testers
397 posts
6,561 battles

Ya honestly ...its rare to lose them...feels like a win 75% of the time...with 5 starts about 10% of the time.

Usually loses are when someone does something stupid early....and there really is no "fix" for that...and i really dont want them to made any easier.

They feel about right to me to be honest.

[PSP]
Members
6,291 posts
8,915 battles

I've gotten 5 stars in all of the current operations. However, I still play them because I've not yet gotten all of the awards. Also, it helps out those new to operations to have someone more experienced on the team.

[PVE]
Members
9,766 posts
7,472 battles
6 minutes ago, kerensky914 said:

They're not supposed to be easy to 5 star.

Yeah, it usually takes me awhile to get the 5th star.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,447 posts
3,875 battles

I win more often than not, the Operations are a lot of fun but kind of repetitive and there's no real incentive to go for a 5-star clear after the first time.

It's the only time I play tier 6 ships, thanks to how matchmaking bullies tier 6 ships lately.

Edited by AraAragami

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,178 posts
18,916 battles

The only reason I didn’t play them often is zero rewards after you got your five stars. I have no ship below T7 I would grind and the XP are to low compared to pvp. If they would at least give the flags once per week I would play them more often. 

[PVE]
Members
9,766 posts
7,472 battles
1 minute ago, Erebthoron said:

The only reason I didn’t play them often is zero rewards after you got your five stars. I have no ship below T7 I would grind and the XP are to low compared to pvp. If they would at least give the flags once per week I would play them more often. 

But the rewards are triple what I get in PvE. Yes, I could play two games in the time I play one Op, but I usually play for 1st win bonuses anyway and jump around the ships and captains I am grinding.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,447 posts
3,875 battles
6 minutes ago, Erebthoron said:

Are you sure the rewards are significantly lower than PVP?

For me they seem to put out about the same.

• Cool 1

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,861 posts
1,332 battles
40 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

I love the operations and will play them to grind my T6 ships and captains. I win most of the time, roughly 4 or 5 wins to a loss. Usually the losses are the first couple of times playing, because then I know what to expect. I win more in BBs than cruisers. I haven't played a DD in operations yet as T6 DDs and I don't work well together. :)

I do them for the captains when I feel like it.  5 stars don't bother me particularly.  4's enough. 

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,861 posts
1,332 battles
12 minutes ago, AraAragami said:

I would agree.  Not sure what my base xp was, but ended up with 5K+ last night in Warspite, 4 star win for the Japanese 10-point captain.   Having said that, though, I'm not likely to grind them for xp.  To each his own!

Edited by mavfin87

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,964 posts
7,526 battles

I win almost all OPS rounds, even with bad teams. The only Scenario that's an issue is Newport. So, yeah, the OPS aren't as hard as you're making them out to be.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,964 posts
7,526 battles
13 minutes ago, AraAragami said:

They are in fact about the same.

See, OPS requires teamwork, so if you're a PvP main, and lone wolf it all the time, you aren't going to do well in OPS, even if you win, you'll score low, and the rewards will reflect that. I usually finish 1st or 2nd on the team with around 1400 base xp, and I get great economic rewards, just like I would for it in PvP.

[WOLF9]
Members
3,250 posts

I think they're pretty fun ,too.  I just always seem to forget that they're there,lol!

Is there a schedule as to when each will be the featured op?  I always seem to get the port defense one. and I'd like to try the others.  I'm not in a division.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,447 posts
3,875 battles
8 minutes ago, TheKrimzonDemon said:

They are in fact about the same.

See, OPS requires teamwork, so if you're a PvP main, and lone wolf it all the time, you aren't going to do well in OPS, even if you win, you'll score low, and the rewards will reflect that. I usually finish 1st or 2nd on the team with around 1400 base xp, and I get great economic rewards, just like I would for it in PvP.

I am a PVP main. Accusing someone of being bad at teamwork just because they primarily PVP is shortsighted.

Doesn't matter if they primarily PVP or PVE. Bad is bad.

[PVE]
Members
9,766 posts
7,472 battles
3 minutes ago, Fletcher7_1944 said:

I think they're pretty fun ,too.  I just always seem to forget that they're there,lol!

Is there a schedule as to when each will be the featured op?  I always seem to get the port defense one. and I'd like to try the others.  I'm not in a division.

I just started playing them a few weeks ago. Seems like they change every Wednesday. Next week will either be the Gallant mission or will swap back to Aegis.

Members
1,459 posts
12,332 battles

Enjoy the operations as a change of pace.  Have fived them all, and if I am tired of random, take one of my tier 6 ships in and have a good time.  Usually a decent credit producer......

Members
711 posts

so far I have done all 4 of the standard operations over the past 3 1/2 or so weeks, ironically each operation has been completed with 5 stars between the first and third try, then I will play it many more times after, most of the time its 3 to 5 star victories, followed by 0 to 2 star victories, and the lest common is defeats.

the most often cause of defeats is people going off-book doing their own thing, or people in cruisers ignoring DD's because they are happy spamming shells at medium/long range cruisers and BB's rather than training their guns on close DD, because they think a BB with guns that reload every 30sec can deal with DD's while forgetting BB's will often have AP loaded including RN BB's and that their first salvo being AP wont often delete a DD, so its at lest 30sec before HE is loaded for a second salvo.

I do wish there was more operations though, so you could have two weekly operations.

Edited by b101uk

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,964 posts
7,526 battles
53 minutes ago, AraAragami said:

I am a PVP main. Accusing someone of being bad at teamwork just because they primarily PVP is shortsighted.

Doesn't matter if they primarily PVP or PVE. Bad is bad.

Reading obv OP. I said: "And lone wolf it all the time, you aren't going to do well."

You read what you wanted to, instead of what was actually there.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
9,766 posts
7,472 battles
48 minutes ago, b101uk said:

so far I have done all 4 of the standard operations over the past 3 1/2 or so weeks, ironically each operation has been completed with 5 stars between the first and third try, then I will play it many more times after, most of the time its 3 to 5 star victories, followed by 0 to 2 star victories, and the lest common is defeats.

the most often cause of defeats is people going off-book doing their own thing, or people in cruisers ignoring DD's because they are happy spamming shells at medium/long range cruisers and BB's rather than training their guns on close DD, because they think a BB with guns that reload every 30sec can deal with DD's while forgetting BB's will often have AP loaded including RN BB's and that their first salvo being AP wont often delete a DD, so its at lest 30sec before HE is loaded for a second salvo.

I do wish there was more operations though, so you could have two weekly operations.

For the last couple of months, I've been practicing at shooting DDs further and further out in PvE, so that helped. I've been swapping to HE for the portions of the battles with DDs, figuring a salvo of HE to switch back to AP at a cruiser or battleship is worth it. Or if there are too many DDs, I'll just fire HE at the others too.

[SIMP]
Members
1,020 posts
2 hours ago, TheKrimzonDemon said:

I win almost all OPS rounds, even with bad teams. The only Scenario that's an issue is Newport. So, yeah, the OPS aren't as hard as you're making them out to be.

Well good for you. I'm glad RNG...err, Match Maker is pairing you up with decent players so these are easy wins for you.

OPs aren't as easy as you make them out to be.