You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
alexc123

Scharnhorst or Mikhail kut?

11 comments in this topic

Members
133 posts
2,646 battles

Hi. I no one is a battle ship and one is a crus, but if you could only get one for pure fun factor wich one and why? I know there totally diff play styles and what not. Any help would be great thanks

[PROJX]
Members
970 posts
15,744 battles

It would depend on which of the following you feel more comfortable with & think is fun.

The Kutuzov is a fire spammer from smoke, but you need to be comfortable w/good positioning & some maneuvering w/ a ship that is not particularly great at maneuvering.

With the Scharn, it’s a good brawler w/some tankiness & torps when you get up close.  You need to be comfortable w/ brawling techniques to get the most out of her, but her gun caliber is small for a BB so you need to know where to shoot the enemy w/what ammo to really do damage (if a CA angles well, you may not be able to pen her sides w/AP).  Also depending on her Capt skills & module config, the Scharn can be configured for variations of either a Secondary or AA builds.

i have both ships & like both playstyles & that’s where it comes down to.  If you like playing from range more, take the Kutz. If you want a variety of Brawling playstyles w/ either secondaries or AA configured, take the Scharn.

[SW]
Beta Testers
1,890 posts
8,252 battles

I would get the Atago as asked before, it has better torp range, speed and reloading, but mostly you should review LittleWhiteMouse's premium reviews before you buy anything.

Members
1,034 posts
95 battles

It really depends. If sitting in smoke and spamming HE at up to 19 km is fun for you, then Mikhail is a great ship. I have her, I like her, even if I'm not that great with her. She can be great at simply dealing damage, burning down BBs and supporting capping by DDs, but she's quite fragile. So don't get frustrated when you get randomly deleted by a battleship even when angled properly. 

On the other hand if you like YOLOing then there are few ships better at this than Scharnhorst. She got great torps, great armor, really good AA, fast turrets accurate-ish guns. Also, since you're T7, you will be top tier very often. Personally, my money is on Scharnhorst. I usually play quite carefully, but this is one ship where I get to shine have some great fun, even if we lose.

Beta Testers
220 posts

I repost my reply to another thread asking for the comparison of Scharnhorst, Kutuzov and Belfast:

I recommend buying Scharnhorst, assuming your goal is finding a competitive ship that has clear advantages over the other ships in the same tier. 

Unlike WG doing to World of Tanks, WG _does_ change premium ships. WG changed the invisible-fire technique and impacted pretty much all premium DD and some CA/CL. Amongst those are Gremyaschy, Blyskawica, Sims, Lo Yang, Kutuzov(!!), Anshan. These ships are very good at stealth fire and this change is a nurf to them.

WG is planning another nurf of increasing visibility while firing in smoke. This will affect Kutuzov(again !), and Belfast

Neither change are specific to these premium ships, but these premium ships DO get nurf'd. The take away is you want to avoid a ship that has special/unique feature comparing to the same ship type. Kutuzov has smoke, and smoke is unique in Russia ships and is not common (except in English CL). Belfast has smoke+radar, we know smoke+fire will be nurfed soon, and smoke+radar has been a critical topic since introduced. Who knows when WG will change radar?

Scharnhorst is a different beast. It has no special trick. It's similar to Gneisenau with the exception of guns. Yes, it's just the guns, but hey BB is all about guns! German BB all have unreliable guns - from T3 Konig Albert to T10 GK, and Gneisenau is not an exception. Scharnhorst has 280mm guns, it's smaller but it loads faster, and it is very accurate. It even has 2.0 sigma. 2.0 sigma is on par with the most accurate ships in the game except Yamato with 2.1 sigma. This makes Scharnhorst useful in mid-long range and it makes a _huge_ difference. While all other German BB must engage close to be effective, Scharnhorst has the entire map as her arena, and it opens up all kinds of play. It may stay invisible, fire, push in then kite out. Scharnhorst has armor to play brawler, has agility to play battlecruiser, has strong AA to flank alone, has secondary to keep DD away, has accurate gun to play peek-and-shoot, has 20sec reload to counter cruiser, and has torpedo to go toe-to-toe with any other BB with bigger gun. It doesn't have any special consumable - just heal and spotting/fighter plane. It's just a BB that is tuned very, very well. It's a jack-of-all-trade, and unlike other versatile ships that are master-of-none, Scharnhost does very well in all roles. 

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,044 posts
8,217 battles

Because even when you lose you had fun... just be aware that the Scharnhorst, while amazing, is not for a novice player to just go out and own everything on the High Seas; it takes finesse and a high skill point captain to get the most out of her. But if you actually invest the time to learn the ship, then you can really dominate in it. I earlier took out an Amagi with full health (no ramming), while also getting shot at by a Nagato and a Gneisanau, yes I died but not before I killed the Amagi that thought he could tank me :)

Here is my last battle, was not enough to compensate for the back line spawn campers on our team but it was a fun fight.

Scharnhorst Fault Line shot-17.10.22_07.59.34-0501.jpg

Scharnhorst Fault Line shot-17.10.22_07.59.41-0605.jpg

Scharnhorst Fault Line shot-17.10.22_07.59.45-0172.jpg

Scharnhorst Fault Line shot-17.10.22_07.59.55-0102.jpg

These little Monsters are amazing is all I can say, I absolutely love mine!!!!

Members
92 posts
1,880 battles
On 10/22/2017 at 10:27 AM, KSN said:

Because even when you lose you had fun..

i second this. Today's loss in a T9 battle, was still quite enjoyable.

shot-17.10.23_11.44.24-0146.jpg

shot-17.10.23_11.46.39-0015.jpg

Members
81 posts
1,433 battles

Agreed, Scharnhorst is the way to go.  It's a good ship.  And don't be afraid to switch ammo in it.  HE works just fine for bow on targets, then switch back to ap once their side shows up.  

Also, you don't have to use the torps.  The Toro angles are okayish..but it will open you up to return fire.  They do serve as a great 6km "nope" zone vs other BBs.  Use that to your advantage and get close.  The other guy will offer open up, turning away expecting fish in the water.  Use that to punish him with your guns.  

It's not invulnerable, but it's a very pleasant ship to cruise.

Members
92 posts
1,880 battles

True dat, don't be eager to,use torps, use them when ships just "happen" to get to close, 4K or less for best results, torps are also great for a 'enemy redirection tool' when you need them to get thier turrets off of you for a bit. Main battery is your primary weapons, followed by your secoondaries. Torps should be third on the list.

great story I want to share: I was bow on with 2 colorados, one on left, one on right side 15k out while I was in reverse defending  the base cap.  They decided after a bit of bouncing shells of my forward turrets to push hard into me. I realized that soon I would be backing into on island, so it was full steam ahead for me, right between them, one Colorado 2k on the left and one 3k on the right.  I suspected they wanted to broadside shoot me same time, but before they could get full salvos off I dropped 3 torps on the left, and 3 torps on the right. The Colorado on the right ate 2 torps and exploded, the Colorado on the left ate 3 as he took half my health. I focused secondaries on him as he passed by and I and turned full hard left and kept all primary and secondaries guns on him and finished him off within the next minute.

now THAT, was fun.