Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
AdmiralThunder

Free Scharnhorst for 3 Days = HORRIBLE idea

30 comments in this topic

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,973 posts
10,751 battles

As the title says this was a horrible idea. No clue what the criteria is, if any, for these being handed out to people but there is no question people are using them that do not have a CLUE about how to play BB in general, play Scharn/Gneisenau to their uniqueness, or play in games a T7 sees. All they do is run to the map edge and launch torps from 20km and shoot HE. And I don't mean the current BB meta of edge camping. This is different. This is edge hiding and running coupled with ridiculous torps and such.

They will not defend the base or help in anyway. I actually lost it in chat in my last game for probably only the 2nd or 3rd time ever as a group of 3 ran out to the edge and just skirted the map as the rest of us fought like heck in the base against all of the enemy who rushed it. It is like a bunch of 3 year olds were given Scharnhorst's. I know I am just a "lowly" Co-op main player but I care and try my best every game and these guys are even costing games in Co-op. I can't imagine the salt that must be flowing in Random if it is happening there too.

I have lost more games today than I have in like a normal month combined because these Scharn guys just run off and leave me, or just a few of us, alone to fight the whole darn enemy team. Seems like an increase in standard battle has coincided with this 3 free day thing so it is making it even worse.

I appreciate that WG wants to offer specials like this to increase interest in the game and all (I got one in port this morning myself but then again I have reached T8-T10 in BB's) but was there any qualification at all for the person getting one? I hope they didn't just hand out a T7 to people who are way below that in the game? Sure seems like a bunch of really low tier players got them and haven't got a clue how to play in T7 matches. It's bad! Once in a while you see someone who has played like 10 T1 games then goes and buys Tirpitz and really sucks bad. That is not common though so you get over it. But this is like 2-3 of those guys match after match and it is getting OLD!

Please WG, in the future, make sure the person who gets a ship like this has the skills to use it.

Edited by AdmiralThunder

Members
575 posts
3,075 battles

So they should make sure they have the skills for those who buy it too?

Obviously I am joking, but my statement above is absurd, so why would skill based rentals be any less absurd. We all have to deal with the glut.

Members
9,997 posts

You realize these same people can buy a Tier 8 BB without ever playing a game...right? :Smile_teethhappy:

It's meaningless, it may sell some more ships, and that is why we'll likely see more of this if it's successful....

[WAG]
Members
394 posts
7,575 battles

No support from teammates? Just a typical day in Random. Sounds like someone unplugged the barrel you are used to shooting fish in. If you only play COOP, than carry harder. 

[UDEAD]
Beta Testers
1,048 posts
10,519 battles

Farm them on the other team and quit complaining about it. It's glorious in tier 7 today, lots of clueless Scharnhorsts and Okhotniks just begging to be erased.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,973 posts
10,751 battles
28 minutes ago, DustRhino said:

No support from teammates? Just a typical day in Random. Sounds like someone unplugged the barrel you are used to shooting fish in. If you only play COOP, than carry harder. 

Oh give me a break. 

Members
1,029 posts
13,067 battles

Well since I still need 6 ship kills to finish out this week's mission having ships out there with inexperienced captains is good timing from my point of view. Of course that's if they are on the red team having them on the green team is a pain though.

[NERO]
Members
3,542 posts

Well look at it this way.

If you shoot them hard enough, it will discourage them from buying into a tier they aren't ready for. 

[WOLF9]
Members
3,256 posts
On 12/10/2017 at 7:51 PM, joris92 said:

Welcome to tier 10. Oh wait

I've been thinking about doing just that all day.   Tier 5-7 games have been stinking the joint up so bad, I shut down.  I thought it was just the [edited]ng Emerald I'm grinding.- nope.  Other ships have all failed, too   Getting tired of being abandoned to face the whole red team myself, while the others either run and hide- or go CV chasing before anything else is dead yet.  Also sick of horribad RNG ruining shot after shot.

Come to think of it, I have seen a lot of Torphorsts today, and most of them have been doing everything BUT Sharnhorsting.   Same could be said of Torpitz- saw one guy turn broadside to launch all his torps at a Cruiser that was almost dead 5 or 6 km away.  You know, the whole "I have torps on this, therefore I MUST use them as often as possible, whether or not it is appropriate for the situation at hand"  thing. 

I hear Montana calling!  I'm still working on the captain, though- that's why I'm not playing the heck out of it.   Was using MO Money, but the last few matches have all been remarkably similar:  3 humans or less, and my team collapses.  Leaving me to face up to 4 reds alone.  I mostly prevail, but they are all nerve wracking squeakers.  "How much damage can this hull absorb, and still manage to kill all the rest so we don't lose?" .  So I switched to Indianapolis- which has been treating me very well lately- and got what was described above (first paragraph), as well as World of BB's matches.  Indy is good but not face down multiple BB's at once good,lol.

Guess it's time to just go with the captain I've got.  (11 points, I think)  I really wanted to work on CA's though- that's why I used Indy: to warm up and stay in the groove.

[WOLF9]
Members
3,256 posts
33 minutes ago, BiggieD61 said:

Farm them on the other team and quit complaining about it. It's glorious in tier 7 today, lots of clueless Scharnhorsts and Okhotniks just begging to be erased.

That would be great- however, the OP and I are playing in pve.   WE get the novices- the Bots just get multiple Scharnhorsts to use.

And speaking of Oh-Sputnik, I saw one of those today for the first time in forever (when it wasn't me playing it)- and he was indeed bad in it. 

[SKDSH]
[SKDSH]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,984 posts
9,947 battles

For some reason I can find nothing about these rentals .  Where is the information on them ? Pease .

Members
9,997 posts
3 minutes ago, Chien_Lu_Anderman said:

For some reason I can find nothing about these rentals .  Where is the information on them ? Pease .

There doesn't seem to be any "official" information about them at all....

Just players reporting them showing up, didn't see one when I logged on today so no idea....:Smile_teethhappy:

[HINON]
WoWS Wiki Editor
6,247 posts
3,106 battles

If it's any consolation, the players who are doing so badly in the Scharnhorst and Okhotnik are likely doing just as bad in all their other ships. So, really, giving them a free premium ship for rental only subverts their usual terribleness to a different and more visible ship.   

• Cool 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,973 posts
10,751 battles
18 minutes ago, Chien_Lu_Anderman said:

I had a Scharn just show up in my port this AM for a free 3 day rental it said. No Capt. I wanted to see how the guns compare to Gneisenau so I played one game with it. All I will do. NO clue why I was chosen? I actually hate Gneisenau so giving me a Scharn for 3 days is funny.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,973 posts
10,751 battles
39 minutes ago, Fletcher7_1944 said:

That would be great- however, the OP and I are playing in pve.   WE get the novices- the Bots just get multiple Scharnhorsts to use.

And speaking of Oh-Sputnik, I saw one of those today for the first time in forever (when it wasn't me playing it)- and he was indeed bad in it. 

Yeah but we just play shoot the fish in the barrel and it is so easy we should be able to take the T1 Eire into a T10 Co-op match vs all Yamato's and win. LOL

[WOLF9]
Members
3,256 posts
46 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Yeah but we just play shoot the fish in the barrel and it is so easy we should be able to take the T1 Eire into a T10 Co-op match vs all Yamato's and win. LOL

Give it an extra 10 kts or so, and it's OG stats, and it'd be fun to try!   "Go ahead- try and hit me!"

I think the timer would wind down before you could burn them all to the waterline, though.   But just imagine the profit from killing a yamato with a tier 1 gunboat!  (not to mention multiples)

Members
348 posts
8,963 battles

Your complaining about bad players. What does that have to do with the rental? These people wouldn't know how to play any ship not just a rentals. WG uses rentals in WoT all the time to spur spending by players. Its smart. Also you wont know how to play a ship, until you are playing the ship. Hurr Durr.

[WOLF9]
Members
3,256 posts

It worked!!   I took the USS Monty Bus out and found the fun games again.

Slapped on a coat of yaller school bus paint, and away we went.  I even typed "Never fear- Monty bus is here!" in chat.   Got to have the joy of pounding a Conqueror into submission, and smashing an Enterprise- after chewing through most of his planes.  Others felt my Angry School Bus Driver wrath, too, but those two were mostly mine. (The CV got a lick or two in as well)  Even got a cap.

God, this ship is fun!

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,973 posts
10,751 battles
15 hours ago, Mackdi said:

Your complaining about bad players. What does that have to do with the rental? These people wouldn't know how to play any ship not just a rentals. WG uses rentals in WoT all the time to spur spending by players. Its smart. Also you wont know how to play a ship, until you are playing the ship. Hurr Durr.

This goes beyond a typical "bad player". At least if someone plays to T7 and earns their ship they at least have some clue about how to play. They might be bad but they can contribute some at least AND they have played enough games to at least know what needs to be done. This is different. These people literally are playing like they have NO CLUE what to do at all, not just in the Scharnhorst or a BB.

This is like having 3-4 of those new T1 players who don't want to play their way up the tech tree so they run out and buy a Tirpitz and then sail around launching torps from 20km out, shooting HE at everything, never helping defend, etc... You can take 1 of those in a game now and then but 3-4+, over and over in b2b2b+... games, is an issue. Especially in Co-op where that is 1/2 your team.

The actions of these guys I am seeing are not the actions of players who have played up to T7, heck not even T5. Their actions are those of players who are in grossly over their heads and don't know what to do. Again, if these were players who have been there before they wouldn't be playing like this. Not so many of them anyway. The appearance is players without the game skills and knowledge being given a T7 for a test run.

My point is "IF" these ships are handed out randomly to any and all players that is wrong. There should be a minimum threshold of experience in the game for a player to qualify to get a high (sort of) tier premium to test drive. Someone who hasn't at least made T5, so they have played against T7, shouldn't be handed the keys to a T7 so they can go out and hurt the teams they play on.

I realize anyone can join WOWS and go right out and buy a Premium ship and go play it. The difference is that is a somewhat rare instance and you don't wind up with 1/2 your team playing at the game tier for the 1st time with no clue how to do it. If these rental Scharn players I have been stuck with actually have played a lot of WOWS and are up there in tiers than my definition of a bad player just changed a LOT.

I have no issue with WG trying to boost premium sales and for making ships available to try before buying and the like. Whatever it takes to grow and improve the game. This approach though has had a big negative consequence.

Edited by AdmiralThunder

Sign in to follow this