You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
KalishniKat

First Time in Over 3000 Games

15 comments in this topic

[SWOB]
Members
2,707 posts
15,744 battles

They are definitely rare now, but back in the first few months they were way too common.

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
9,124 posts
7,655 battles
1 minute ago, sbcptnitro said:

They are definitely rare now, but back in the first few months they were way too common.

Oh god, remember when every standard battle pretty much ended in a draw?

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,446 posts
11,741 battles

Last week I got 2....

Thought they eliminated draws, but evidently not.

[SWOB]
Members
2,707 posts
15,744 battles
1 minute ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Yep, so much so that players started complaining that it hurt their WR, since it essentially counts as a loss.

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,178 posts
18,895 battles
2 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Yup. I had 11% draws in my first 2k battles. 

[TBW]
Members
6,401 posts
12,031 battles

I thought you were going to say that you got the Solo Warrior Medal. Draws happen rarely now, but at least for me, not as rarely as Solo Warrior. I have only one.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[ERN]
Members
601 posts
8,301 battles
9 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

I do. I'm actually surprised that Draws still occur in the game.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,405 posts
3,875 battles

pencil-drawing-a-pencil-illustrated-hand

Used to happen all the time, before they applied points to Standard battle.

Though everyone wanted a "deathmatch mode" that only ended when a whole team was sunk.

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,176 battles
17 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Don't remind me.

giphy.gif

[HINON]
Modder, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles
50 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

The whole, last ship alive running away was so much worse in ships than tanks...I still remember many draws from that time.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,614 posts
9,004 battles
1 hour ago, sbcptnitro said:

1 hour ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Even if they hadn't made the changes they did they would be pretty rare now as they rate had dropped significantly already. Most were caused by how people were playing, chasing kills instead of capping mostly.

Beta Testers
1,481 posts
8,958 battles

When the game was in Closed Beta and shortly after release, the draw rate was around 4%.  That was about four times higher than the WoT draw rate despite the fact that the Standard Battle victory conditions were pretty much the mirror of the WoT's at the time.  The problem was that the original Standard Battle victory conditions were only capture the base or kill all.  Due to the much, much larger map sizes and overall slower speed of the ships compared to WoT maps and vehicles, it was very easy for the survivors of both teams to be on opposite sides of the map and have no way to get back to the base in time to cap, let alone to get within spotting and gun range of each other, before the game timer expired.  If I recall correctly, even a Domination Mode battle could end in a draw if neither team reached 1000 points total before the timer expired because the conditions were kill all or reach 1000 points.  All this led to a fairly high draw rate.

Shortly after the game released, this all changed.  Standard Battles were given a Domination style points system and the get to 1000 points victory condition was added.  The only real difference between Standard and Domination was that capturing the enemy base in Standard grants you the necessary 1000 points to win automatically rather than just giving you points over time as in Domination.  Also, both modes were changed so that, if neither team got to 1000 and both teams had survivors, whichever team had the most points when the timer expired wins.  As a result, overnight, draws became very, very rare; however, they are still possible.

When the game timer expires, it is still possible for both teams to have exactly the same number of points.  It can happen with less than 1000 points when one team is only slightly ahead and the other team gets a kill or ticks over enough points from holding a base to exactly match the other team's score right as the timer ends.  Someone posted a similar thread recently indicating that his team tied when both teams captured the other team's base simultaneously, giving each team the necessary 1000 points to win at the same time, which meant they both had 1000 points, so it was a draw.  Finally, the last two survivors can die at essentially the same time resulting in a draw.  Ramming each other to death or both ships dying to a final salvo will give a dual "kill all" scenario, resulting in a draw.

Draws have become extremely rare, but they are still possible.

[R-F1]
Beta Testers
1,863 posts
6,855 battles
1 hour ago, sbcptnitro said:

i think ive had 10-15 draws since i started playing in cbt.  i seem to recall the stats page used to show number of draws as well as number of wins, but it doesn't seem to anymore.  but the point is, id say only 2-5 of those draws happened after WoWs went live, and of those, all of them occurred within the first six months of the game going live.