You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Soshi_Sone

I Rammed Conqueror in my Monarch...

22 comments in this topic

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,841 posts
13,056 battles

...and i liked it.

But despite doing 60K damage...he survived "Die Hard"....and a few moments latter was back up to half health..or nearly so.

It was a good trade   60K for 6K (burning and getting focus fire...seconds away for dying otherwise)...and i was able to cit DS a NO just before the ram.  Sigh...ya'll should have seen the salt in chat when my ram failed to take him out.  A successful ram (i.e., defined as taking out the enemy) might have been enough to swing a win.

All that said, between the ram and the cit on the NO, I think 70% of the damage I inflicted during the entire match was delivered in 5 seconds of play.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Members
1,491 posts
14,639 battles

JUcmAhs.jpg

Ramming is fun!:Smile_great:

• Cool 2

[NZS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
370 posts
9,055 battles

I'm always much more inclined to ram in my Hood.  Once carried a win with it that way. :cap_haloween:

Beta Testers
271 posts
10,664 battles

Speed flag, a ramming flag, and a ready repair and heal are my requirements. The ship rudder upgrade is also high on the list for a proper ramming-capable ship. IJN CAs and BBs have decent speed, agility and HP for this.

The OP made the right choice for the tactical circumstance presented. Better to earn as much as possible before certain death.

[HINON]
Modder, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles

The Monarch attempted to Conquer, she was defeated.

• Cool 3

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,807 posts
10,315 battles

Just a shame when WG copy/pasted KGV into T8 Monarch that they didn't bother to change many of the stats, including HP - which is the lowest for a T8 BB and peculiarly matches KGV's exactly...

• Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,866 posts
5,255 battles

I hate rammers.

I would run ramming flags to fend them off, but it happens so rarely that it seems a waste.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
3,856 posts
4,224 battles
1 hour ago, BlueWaterWolf said:

Speed flag, a ramming flag, and a ready repair and heal are my requirements. The ship rudder upgrade is also high on the list for a proper ramming-capable ship. IJN CAs and BBs have decent speed, agility and HP for this.

Ramming damage is not much dependent on Speed. I know because a French Cruiser using Speed Boost in a Ram does the same amount of damage that a French Cruiser at full speed does in a ram.

Edited by Carrier_Lexington

[TF_34]
[TF_34]
Members
1,138 posts
6,777 battles
1 hour ago, mofton said:

Just a shame when WG copy/pasted KGV into T8 Monarch that they didn't bother to change many of the stats, including HP - which is the lowest for a T8 BB and peculiarly matches KGV's exactly...

Agreed. KGV at 7 is decent, but virtually the same ship pushed one tier higher just feels lackluster. I'm not at all impressed with Monarch.

[TASH]
Members
5,016 posts
8,094 battles
5 minutes ago, Carrier_Lexington said:

Ramming damage is not much dependent on Speed. I know because a French Cruiser using Speed Boost in a Ram does the same amount of damage that a French Cruiser at full speed does in a ram.

Beyond a certain point, ramming damage is capped.  It's only at low speed that it matters, and even then I think it has more to do with the briefer contact before the ships push each other away than speed.

Beta Testers
271 posts
10,664 battles

Oh, I am aware that speed beyond a certain velocity matters not.  :)

It is the ability to position oneself and quickly accelerate after rudder changes that makes the difference. Also why I put the rudder upgrade on my ram-possible ships. My five Kongos can twist away from torp spreads then spear the Omaha that launched them.

Edited by BlueWaterWolf

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,841 posts
13,056 battles

It's my understanding that a ram does the damage of the smallest ship's full health pool HP to both ships.  In my case, the Monarch (at 60K) was the smallest full health pool.  Based on end of game screen, it showed the Conqueror taking about 60K of damage.  I took 6K (but that's all I had left).

There is also flooding, but the Conq activated DCP.

Edited by Soshi_Sone

Members
1,250 posts
8,971 battles
On 10/12/2017 at 0:18 PM, Gen_Saris said:

Agreed. KGV at 7 is decent, but virtually the same ship pushed one tier higher just feels lackluster. I'm not at all impressed with Monarch.

thx for the heads up, clanmate.....I'm looking at getting the Monarch, but now I'm having 2d thoughts.....that's an awful lot of fxp to waste on something without reading the reviews

[TF_34]
[TF_34]
Members
1,138 posts
6,777 battles
On 10/29/2017 at 7:53 PM, commodore_torakula said:

thx for the heads up, clanmate.....I'm looking at getting the Monarch, but now I'm having 2d thoughts.....that's an awful lot of fxp to waste on something without reading the reviews

Lion is excellent, but a worthless T8 is a LOT to grind through.

[NSEW]
[NSEW]
Members
419 posts
8,131 battles
On 30/10/2017 at 2:30 AM, SavageTactical said:

I heard ram damage depends upon ship displacement; since the Monarch weights less than the Conqueror you died and he lived.

Nope, refer the OP's post above.

I confess, I'm a proponent of the UK BB lines. It was just something new to play with. However, the T10 Repair rate, and it's percentage is kinda sorta on the silly side.

Members
1,250 posts
8,971 battles
On 11/2/2017 at 3:53 PM, Gen_Saris said:

hey I made Warrant Officer. ....if only I was that high-ranking in RL... ...

Members
3,417 posts
8,276 battles
On 11/2/2017 at 3:53 PM, Gen_Saris said:

Monarch was comparatively lackluster but I got through it fine.  It's not too bad.

[SG]
Beta Testers
61 posts
9,067 battles

Had a Shima actually ram my Z52 in clan wars. Didn't go so well for him..

Alpha Tester
937 posts
6,359 battles

I think my most epic ram was killing a Kamikaze R in either the V-22 or maybe the tier VI German.  In any case it was right as he had positioned himself to torp and it was in tight space.  

Sad to say like your team op, he had to spoil things by being a baby about it.