You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Fog_Repair_Ship_Akashi

Has WoWp finally become good?

35 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,192 battles

O.k. Head on to YouTube this morning and i see this video from Jingles.

Now i know Jingles isn't the best person to ask but his hatred of WoWp was well known. Since it came out he has always made fun of it every year, if fact I expected that this would be him laughing his [edited]off at how bad the game still was. Now all of the sudden he is liking it. I was a Beta tester of WoWp but haven't played for over a year because I hated it, for the same reasons that jingles hated it. bad graphics, controls that you had to manually change in order to play and horrible lag spikes. After seeing this though I'm reinstalling it to see how it looks now (though I wish I didn't have to install Wargaming crapcenter to do it). So I'm asking if anybody actually still plays WoWp is this game fun again, i will be playing it once I reinstall and will be giving my own opinions tomorrow or Saturday.

• Cool 1

[PRNA]
Beta Testers
18,814 posts
2,987 battles

The game looks pretty good. I was also a CBT for the O.G. WoWP and even then I liked it, but found the draw to WT much more powerful. The game seems to be going okay now. 

Though as I look at it the land graphics are poor. 

Edited by StrixKitty

Members
575 posts
3,075 battles

Any flight "sim" that forces you into arcade view is bad. Will always be bad.

WT hardcore or realistic mode options are how it should be done.

But I haven't played WoWp since it first came out, so if they added in cockpit flight mode, I might try it again.

[MIA-I]
Supertester
2,731 posts
4,763 battles

Only reason I never liked it was the whole Health bar method of damage.  But I'm picky, my very first video games were flight simulators so I hold them to a bit of a high standard

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,725 posts
9,120 battles

Jingles likes it because it is War Thunder but it is the least liked War Thunder mode. It is not going to get people to come over from WT because they have too much invested over there and it is not going to attract old WoWP players. This is Star Wars Galaxies New Game Experience, which didn't attract new players and pushed the old players away, all over again.

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
6,488 posts
9,585 battles

Wow.... OK I will look at this again. Have not played since closed Beta.

[SOUP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,588 posts

I'll have to give it a try, who knows, maybe I'll have to make a voice mod for it~

• Cool 1

Members
9,997 posts

Does it really matter whether they've made the game good or not at this point?

It's never going to get a following this late in the day. Why do they continue to waste money on it? :Smile_amazed:

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
6,488 posts
9,585 battles
12 minutes ago, awiggin said:

Does it really matter whether they've made the game good or not at this point?

It's never going to get a following this late in the day. Why do they continue to waste money on it? :Smile_amazed:

Why are you here? 

Members
9,997 posts
Just now, paradat said:

Why are you here? 

Voicing an opinion? Why are you here?

What part of my statement do you disagree with?

Or are you simply thinking everyone should kiss WG's feet and not question their decisions because reasons? :Smile_teethhappy:

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
6,488 posts
9,585 battles
Just now, awiggin said:

Voicing an opinion? Why are you here?

What part of my statement do you disagree with?

Or are you simply thinking everyone should kiss WG's feet and not question their decisions because reasons? :Smile_teethhappy:

No, just an observation. You never seem to post anything positive... so was just curious. There must be something you like about WG game.

[ZIPPO]
Members
1,564 posts
3,539 battles

I used to play it but got tired of the 4-5 minute wait times for sometimes a 2 minute battle

[FU8AR]
Alpha Tester
471 posts
2,414 battles

Was a CBT for WoWP.  I was not impressed.  And after a few months of playing after release I decided to go back to tanks.  Now I'm going back between ships and tanks.

[GWG]
[GWG]
15,725 posts
9,120 battles
52 minutes ago, Drakenred said:

Wait, JINGLES had something nice to say about it?

did the tremperature oh hell drop to Zero Kelvin?

Apparently he did although I didn't see it myself. His liking Conquest is not a surprise as it is War Thunder which he likes.

[SOUP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,588 posts

Just scooped up WoWP for testing, and although Gaijin Bias Thunder still has the advantage as an air combat game, WoWP is now at least playable

[-TAB-]
Alpha Tester
4,093 posts
7,667 battles

Hmm, tentatively interested.  I need a new joystick though.

Honestly if they just made it play like the Rogue Squadron games or Secret Weapons Over Normandy I'd be all over it.

[ZIPPO]
Members
1,564 posts
3,539 battles

I downloaded last night, I'm going to have to dust off the joystick tonight and give the game a whirl

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
6,488 posts
9,585 battles

So I have not played since closed beta. Reinstalled last night played a few game with just mouse and keyboard and had a blast! Fun factor is there. Nice work WG! Also the new HD maps in Tanks on the sandbox server look AMAZING!

Dang it WG you are going to get me playing all three games!

[SWOB]
Members
2,707 posts
15,785 battles

Downloaded and played WOWP for the first time ever last night.

After about 12 or so games, I still don't know what to do or how to do it.

Pros:

Seems easy to jump in a fly a plane.

Aiming is easy...almost too easy.

Matches (at low tier) are mostly filled with bots, but you get credits and xp rewards as if you are playing humans.

You can respawn until the "storm" comes.

Cons:

There's some ambiguous formula to capping and unlocking capped objectives. 

AA shreds you like paper, so I have no idea how capped points ever get overtaken by the enemy.

Planes (at least, mine, anyway) seem to have virtually no chance against enemy planes only 1 tier higher.

Matches are mostly filled with bots (could also be seen as a pro)

Team play is non-existent (yes, much, much worse than WOWS)

Bottom line is I will probably play it from time to time, but it's not a life-sucker by any means.

[GWG]
[GWG]
15,725 posts
9,120 battles
On 10/12/2017 at 9:32 AM, SmirkingGerbil said:

Any flight "sim" that forces you into arcade view is bad. Will always be bad.

WT hardcore or realistic mode options are how it should be done.

But I haven't played WoWp since it first came out, so if they added in cockpit flight mode, I might try it again.

Missed your response earlier. WoWP never was a sim although it used to be more hard core than War Thunder's arcade mode.

Yes, WT's realistic or simulation modes are the way to go if you are looking for a sim which once again WoWP wasn't and is now even less.

Still no cockpit mode which for an arcade flyer only gets in the way of playing the game.

Members
575 posts
3,075 battles
14 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

Missed your response earlier. WoWP never was a sim although it used to be more hard core than War Thunder's arcade mode.

Yes, WT's realistic or simulation modes are the way to go if you are looking for a sim which once again WoWP wasn't and is now even less.

Still no cockpit mode which for an arcade flyer only gets in the way of playing the game.

Some good points. I would play WoWp though if it even had a basic cockpit view mode. Been flying flight sims since the very first ones in the 80's, and cockpit view is just in my blood.

Fly some of the most high fidelity sims now, DCS/Eagle Dynamics, and use a head tracker so that I have full 360 X/Y/Z from within the cockpit, and I just can't fly a plane in arcade mode. To me it is the difference between pushing around your hot wheels car as a kid, and getting behind the wheel of your supercharged Mustang 5.0, dumping the clutch, and steering with the throttle as the rear kicks out and smoke pours off your wheels - not that I would know anything about that. :cap_rambo:

[GWG]
[GWG]
15,725 posts
9,120 battles
7 hours ago, SmirkingGerbil said:

Some good points. I would play WoWp though if it even had a basic cockpit view mode. Been flying flight sims since the very first ones in the 80's, and cockpit view is just in my blood.

Fly some of the most high fidelity sims now, DCS/Eagle Dynamics, and use a head tracker so that I have full 360 X/Y/Z from within the cockpit, and I just can't fly a plane in arcade mode. To me it is the difference between pushing around your hot wheels car as a kid, and getting behind the wheel of your supercharged Mustang 5.0, dumping the clutch, and steering with the throttle as the rear kicks out and smoke pours off your wheels - not that I would know anything about that. :cap_rambo:

You are a sim player and have the gear to get the most out of them but for most people the best they will have is a simple joystick like the 3D Pro. Also since unlike War Thunder which is a sim game, even the strangely modified arcade shows its sim roots, World of Warplanes doesn't support any of head tracking gear.

[KOZ]
Beta Testers
1,485 posts
1,186 battles

Grabbed it to give it a try.
It's a lot better than it used to be.

It's basically WT Arcade with more Arcade. It's good to see they're taking it in a specific direction.

Edited by AirshipCanon