You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
NoZoupForYou

Conqueror (Dev Blog Stats) Discussion - Great at Farming BB damage, Poor at killing Cruisers

28 comments in this topic

[BRZKR]
WoWS Community Contributors
1,473 posts
4,763 battles

I'm not quite done with my Conqueror thoughts, but am after this.  The dev blog notes have somewhat vindicated my opinions that conqueror is nothing special.  Other than its damage and survival, its stats are pretty much on par with the other BBs.  Out of its damage, it does significantly more damage against BBs, and significantly less against CAs when compared to the other T10 BBs.  It does not play the BB roll.  You need to take out cruisers to allow DDs to do their job.  Conqueror appears not to do this.  It gets its damage off of easy BB fire damage, which can be healed 2/3s of.  Anyhow, these are my final thoughts.  I figured I'd take heat for my original thoughts on Conqueror.  That's cool and I don't mind.  We'll have to agree to disagree.  

[NDA]
Supertester
4,841 posts
13,799 battles

You know my Dad told me that if I played with fire I should expect to get burned. And To Never Have Gasoline Near a Fire.

I do find it funny that WG didn't touch the things that most of the complaints I've seen regarding the CQ.

That being the buried citadel and the HE fire chance and damage. 

But what do I know I'm just a Cruiser/Destroyer player. 

MFfXL2N.gif

[BRZKR]
WoWS Community Contributors
1,473 posts
4,763 battles
51 minutes ago, RedSeaBear said:

You know my Dad told me that if I played with fire I should expect to get burned. And To Never Have Gasoline Near a Fire.

I do find it funny that WG didn't touch the things that most of the complaints I've seen regarding the CQ.

That being the buried citadel and the HE fire chance and damage. 

But what do I know I'm just a Cruiser/Destroyer player. 

MFfXL2N.gif

Aye...   true indeed.

I think its primarily BB mains that are having the biggest complaints against them.  Torps do them in pretty well :p

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,176 posts
11,693 battles
12 hours ago, NoZoupForYou said:

I'm not quite done with my Conqueror thoughts, but am after this.  The dev blog notes have somewhat vindicated my opinions that conqueror is nothing special.  Other than its damage and survival, its stats are pretty much on par with the other BBs.  Out of its damage, it does significantly more damage against BBs, and significantly less against CAs when compared to the other T10 BBs.  It does not play the BB roll.  You need to take out cruisers to allow DDs to do their job.  Conqueror appears not to do this.  It gets its damage off of easy BB fire damage, which can be healed 2/3s of.  Anyhow, these are my final thoughts.  I figured I'd take heat for my original thoughts on Conqueror.  That's cool and I don't mind.  We'll have to agree to disagree.  

The biggest stupidity of this game is the thought that battleships should be shooting at cruisers.  Battleships should be shooting at battleships to drive the enemy BBs back and let their light ships move forward.  Heavy cruisers should be hunting light cruisers which should be hunting the destroyers.  The fact that WG designed this game for battleships to shoot at cruisers is why high tier game play sucks and they struggle to get people who WANT to play those higher tiers.

[SALTY]
Members
1,291 posts
4,139 battles

Are you guys playing a different ship than i am?

My Conqueror has the ability to use AP, and it is fantastic.

• Cool 2

Members
1,033 posts
95 battles
1 hour ago, crzyhawk said:

The biggest stupidity of this game is the thought that battleships should be shooting at cruisers.  Battleships should be shooting at battleships to drive the enemy BBs back and let their light ships move forward.

Is that so? And here I thought that the DPM on an average cruiser surpasses by a significant margin that of battleship of the same tier and therefore dealing with heavy targets that have lots of health is best left to them while battleships should concentrate on soaking up damage to protect friendly cruisers and deal with lightly armored targets or targets of opportunity, such as those showing broadside. 

[INTEL]
Members
8,580 posts
25,677 battles
1 hour ago, aAkula said:

Haha. It seems almost no one is playing this ship right.

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,085 posts
14,482 battles
4 hours ago, aAkula said:

I've had red team members freak out when they see my Conqueror use AP :Smile_teethhappy:

[ZR]
Members
959 posts
11,282 battles
5 hours ago, aAkula said:

Back to back to back dev strikes on 3 T10 cruisers because I know how to switch ammo types.  Poor damage against cruisers my... well you know.

• Cool 1

Members
1,862 posts
8,835 battles

To state the obvious the problem is broadsides against Cruisers are fleeting opportunities and if you have HE loaded the opportunity is gone by the time you switch.

[ZR]
Members
959 posts
11,282 battles
4 minutes ago, CaptainTeddybear said:

To state the obvious the problem is broadsides against Cruisers are fleeting opportunities and if you have HE loaded the opportunity is gone by the time you switch.

Prediction and having a good sense of what the enemy is trying to do helps with that.

[INTEL]
Members
8,580 posts
25,677 battles

Even when they are not broadside the AP rips them for big damage. 

Members
3,470 posts
6,170 battles

So far nothing can't cit the Charles Martel quite frankly.  I have had many times where one shell barely touches the ship and CIT...

[TNG-D]
[TNG-D]
Members
348 posts
8,820 battles

Your title says it all. LOL WG devs failed the RN BB design. Its supposed to be the opposite. RN BB's are supposed to be great at killing cruisers and surprising them from stealth and bad at damaging BB's. ROFL. I dont usually say things are OP, but RN BB"s are OP. Massively OP.

Members
2,381 posts
7,683 battles

Not true, RN BBs are even better against cruisers. Since the RN BB line release, when i play cruisers in more afraid of RN HE than any other BB AP. I can bounce or WASD to take only overpens from any other BB AP. But there is nothing i cando against RN HE.

Members
208 posts
2,684 battles
On 10/13/2017 at 3:38 AM, MountainManxDan said:

Back to back to back dev strikes on 3 T10 cruisers because I know how to switch ammo types.  Poor damage against cruisers my... well you know.

It isnt't that they do poor damage to cruisers so much as the people driving them are focusing on doing fire damage to Battleships instead of targeting cruisers like normal BB play.

27 minutes ago, Mackdi said:

Your title says it all. LOL WG devs failed the RN BB design. Its supposed to be the opposite. RN BB's are supposed to be great at killing cruisers and surprising them from stealth and bad at damaging BB's. ROFL. I dont usually say things are OP, but RN BB"s are OP. Massively OP.

The problem with your statement is that the data so far isn't panning out this way.  I don't remember anything being said about they suppose to be anti cruiser battleships, quite the opposite if WGs own update note video is to be believed. There are already enough cruiser deleting battleships in the game as is.

19 minutes ago, Xlap said:

Not true, RN BBs are even better against cruisers. Since the RN BB line release, when i play cruisers in more afraid of RN HE than any other BB AP. I can bounce or WASD to take only overpens from any other BB AP. But there is nothing i cando against RN HE.

Cruisers have the chance of surviving the first couple of salvos from the HE shells.  Sure you may lose modules and get set on fire, but it isn't an instant Devestating Strike that standard AP would usually cause.  I much prefer to be in my cruisers when i encounter enemy RN BBs as they seem to focus on farming raw damage from my friendly battleships instead of deleting me first like most other battleships.

[FAE]
Members
2,161 posts
2,635 battles

Keep the super-heal

Raise the citadel so they are citadel-able at least at some range, (doesn't have to be easy!)

Keep the alpha damage

Reduce HE shell penetration

Reduce HE fire chance a little

Keep the AA? 

(Poor torpedo protection?)

[TNG-D]
[TNG-D]
Members
348 posts
8,820 battles
4 minutes ago, biggie1447 said:

It isnt't that they do poor damage to cruisers so much as the people driving them are focusing on doing fire damage to Battleships instead of targeting cruisers like normal BB play.

The problem with your statement is that the data so far isn't panning out this way.  I don't remember anything being said about they suppose to be anti cruiser battleships, quite the opposite if WGs own update note video is to be believed. There are already enough cruiser deleting battleships in the game as is.

Cruisers have the chance of surviving the first couple of salvos from the HE shells.  Sure you may lose modules and get set on fire, but it isn't an instant Devestating Strike that standard AP would usually cause.  I much prefer to be in my cruisers when i encounter enemy RN BBs as they seem to focus on farming raw damage from my friendly battleships instead of deleting me first like most other battleships.

Keep telling yourself that RN BB's are okay as is. lol They are OP. HE needs a total rework. HE should never do penetration damage. It should only be used to wreck modules and start fires. The fact RN BB's get high HE alpha penetration damage AND super crazy high fire starting chance is why they are OP. High HE alpha OR high fire chance is fair but not both at the same time.

Members
3,417 posts
8,276 battles

Funny thing is one of the most memorable things from my first battle driving Conqueror was nuking a Hindenburg and a Zao like they were an Atlanta.  

Members
2,381 posts
7,683 battles
9 minutes ago, biggie1447 said:

Two days ago i was playing with my Hindenburg, in a battle i was able to bounce and take few overpens damage from 3 Yamato AP salvos. One min later a Conqueror hit me for 22k plus 3 fires and half my modules. 30 secs later another salvo for 25k and 4 fires and literaly ALL my modules broken. I died few secs later due to four fires. 

I can angle my cruisers and bounce AP shells, i can WASD my cruisers to take only overpen damage. But there is nothing i can do against HE. 

I rather have a Yamato firing AP than a Conqueror firing HE on my cruisers.

Members
3,417 posts
8,276 battles
5 minutes ago, Xlap said:

Two days ago i was playing with my Hindenburg, in a battle i was able to bounce and take few overpens damage from 3 Yamato AP salvos. One min later a Conqueror hit me for 22k plus 3 fires and half my modules. 30 secs later another salvo for 25k and 4 fires and literaly ALL my modules broken. I died few secs later due to four fires. 

I can angle my cruisers and bounce AP shells, i can WASD my cruisers to take only overpen damage. But there is nothing i can do against HE. 

Hey was that you!  ; )  J.K.  

Members
208 posts
2,684 battles
On 10/14/2017 at 3:37 PM, Mackdi said:

Keep telling yourself that RN BB's are okay as is. lol They are OP. HE needs a total rework. HE should never do penetration damage. It should only be used to wreck modules and start fires. The fact RN BB's get high HE alpha penetration damage AND super crazy high fire starting chance is why they are OP. High HE alpha OR high fire chance is fair but not both at the same time.

Ok sure.... completely remove the ability of he to do damage... that is really what cruisers and destroyers need sure....

The fire chance can be toned down some. I agree it is a bit high but some people on the boards and reddit don't seem to know how fire chance works and completely ignore the other nations bbs.  The Kurfurst has a 41% fire chance on her 420s, and the Yamato and Montana are nearly the same at 35 and 36% respectively.... some people want the Conqueror reduced down to 25% that is nearly into cruiser territory. 

On 10/14/2017 at 3:48 PM, Xlap said:

Yamato can be detonated from full health by a single HE hit from the Khabarovsk, doesn't make it statistically relevant.  Can huge hits like that happen using Conqueror? Sure, does it happen enough to compare to the devastating strikes that occur regularly from other BB AP salvo's? Not according to the data it doesn't.  I can WASD my cruisers to dodge the majority of HE just as easily as AP, a single AP round through the stern can cit me for 14,000 hp still.

Members
1,062 posts
4,736 battles
On 10/12/2017 at 11:29 PM, aAkula said:

I agree with you, the way the AP fuses work they are lethal against cruisers.  Less overpens = me in an unhappy Des Moines.  The stats don't show it because of the general laziness of players to switch ammo types.  In cruisers I prefer to be shot at by BB HE.

[OO7]
Alpha Tester
6,734 posts
3,490 battles

All the data shows is that the RN BBs aren't targeting Cruisers, which they should be. They're absolutely the best at killing them.