You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
pewpewpew42

Advice

16 comments in this topic

Members
3,482 posts
6,184 battles

If you go back one section - back to the General Gameplay Discussions and check out the specific ships forum so you can go to the DD -- Japanese and see what they have written.  Personally -I gave up on the IJN DDs at the Mutsuki (before the split) as it was useless - they had been nerfed so badly it was not funny..

[PVE]
Members
9,803 posts
7,492 battles
24 minutes ago, pewpewpew42 said:

Struggling to make Minekaze or Mutsuki work well. Tips?

6 minutes ago, CylonRed said:

If you go back one section - back to the General Gameplay Discussions and check out the specific ships forum so you can go to the DD -- Japanese and see what they have written.  Personally -I gave up on the IJN DDs at the Mutsuki (before the split) as it was useless - they had been nerfed so badly it was not funny..

The Japanese Destroyer forum will have some good tips on those specific boats. There are youtube videos out there was well.

I never played the Mutsuki or Minekaze before the split, but the IJN didn't work for me early. I have got back into them after learning more and are making them work. The IJN DDs are torpedo ships with poor, slow turning guns. So running around spotting, stealth torp'ing and only firing guns in self defense seems to be the preferred play style. You'll need a DD main to give more detailed tips.

Edited by Kizarvexis

[HEROS]
Supertester
1,453 posts
5,532 battles

Self, and shameless plug:

How to Mutsuki:

How to Minekaze:

The whole Playlist can be watched from here and starts with captain skills:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6JXISGAh7E&list=PLYLC2cyLNUw5EX9H7Oc8U9qjChLWKVD_x

And how to Torpedo

I think that's enough shameless plugging. :P

• Cool 2

[PVE]
Members
9,803 posts
7,492 battles
Just now, UrPeaceKeeper said:

Self, and shameless plug:

How to Mutsuki:

How to Minekaze:

The whole Playlist can be watched from here and starts with captain skills:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6JXISGAh7E&list=PLYLC2cyLNUw5EX9H7Oc8U9qjChLWKVD_x

And how to Torpedo

I think that's enough shameless plugging. :P

You are one of the Youtubers I was talking about. I need to find the time to watch your Aoba and Fuso videos since I am getting close on them. Thank you for your work.

• Cool 1

[CUTER]
Members
702 posts
19,061 battles

Minekaze is a shell of its former glory.  Mutsuki was never a good DD.  Grind through them as best you can.  Mutsuki unfortunately has no real recourse but to be played passively due to its terrible guns.

[JASH]
Members
385 posts
5,252 battles

free XP through it.  That was the first line I played through long before the BB whiners killed Jap torps.

[SF-3]
Members
1,536 posts
8,148 battles
2 hours ago, KongoPride said:

Minekaze is a shell of its former glory.  Mutsuki was never a good DD.  Grind through them as best you can.  Mutsuki unfortunately has no real recourse but to be played passively due to its terrible guns.

Imagine my horror after the DD line split when I had to play through the Hatsu again.

[-AF-]
Beta Testers
119 posts
2,069 battles

An older thread here to be sure and before I get accused of necro-ing, the reason I bring this up is actually because it's from 2017 and I think the IJN destroyers had a change a couple of months ago or so?

My 8 point captain currently has Priority Target, Preventative Maintenance, Incoming Fire Alert and Last Stand with 3 points to spend.  Likely I'll spend points to redistribute because this was one of my first captains and with my incompetence, he's had a terrible career so far and I stopped playing the IJN destroyers for a while.  And I've not spent for redistributing before anyway so this'll be a good experience.   

Anyway, looking for a good Minekaze captain skills recommendation, possibly with an eye towards moving him up  someday,  but only after I can actually manage to play this destroyer where I can actually matter in a battle.

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,882 posts
1,338 battles
23 minutes ago, Altwar said:

An older thread here to be sure and before I get accused of necro-ing, the reason I bring this up is actually because it's from 2017 and I think the IJN destroyers had a change a couple of months ago or so?

My 8 point captain currently has Priority Target, Preventative Maintenance, Incoming Fire Alert and Last Stand with 3 points to spend.  Likely I'll spend points to redistribute because this was one of my first captains and with my incompetence, he's had a terrible career so far and I stopped playing the IJN destroyers for a while.  And I've not spent for redistributing before anyway so this'll be a good experience.   

Anyway, looking for a good Minekaze captain skills recommendation, possibly with an eye towards moving him up  someday,  but only after I can actually manage to play this destroyer where I can actually matter in a battle

My 'base' 10 point DD build is 

1 Preventive Maintenance

2 Last Stand

3 Survivability Expert

4 Concealment Expert

Then the other 9 points depend on the boat and/or nation.  Usually.

I don't do Priority Target at first in a DD, because if I'm spotted, I assume they're shooting at me anyway.

Last Stand lets you at least move if your engine or steering gets hit.

Survivability gives you more health, useful for DD, not so much for others

Concealment Expert is always a must for a DD, except *maybe* the most gunboat-y build you could think of, but I think most DD drivers take it anyway.

Edited by mavfin87
  • Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
561 posts
6,248 battles
14 hours ago, mavfin87 said:

Preventive Maintenance

2 Last Stand

3 Survivability Expert

4 Concealment Expert

Then the other 9 points depend on the boat and/or nation.  Usually.

This. Then for IJN, RDF (4), TAE (3), and lastly EM (2) for emergency. 

• Cool 1

[-AF-]
Beta Testers
119 posts
2,069 battles

Manfin, Pulver, thank you both!  I appreciate your input!

[FML]
Members
1,767 posts
10,153 battles
6 hours ago, Ensign_Pulver_2016 said:

This. Then for IJN, RDF (4), TAE (3), and lastly EM (2) for emergency. 

Not AR for the last 2 points?  Extra fast torp reload when you go dark with 100 HP....

[SYN]
Members
561 posts
6,248 battles
9 hours ago, UltimateNewbie said:

Not AR for the last 2 points?  Extra fast torp reload when you go dark with 100 HP....

EM is much better for me. If I am down to a few hundred points, I will be playing way safe. OTOH, anytime I get in a situation where I need to kite, the ability in the Shima to dodge AND keep guns on target is priceless. 

(I didn't  mention that on Kitikaze and Haragumo, I trade TAE and EM for IFHE. RDF is too valuable to trade.)

[FML]
Members
1,767 posts
10,153 battles
16 minutes ago, Ensign_Pulver_2016 said:

EM is much better for me. If I am down to a few hundred points, I will be playing way safe. OTOH, anytime I get in a situation where I need to kite, the ability in the Shima to dodge AND keep guns on target is priceless. 

(I didn't  mention that on Kitikaze and Haragumo, I trade TAE and EM for IFHE. RDF is too valuable to trade.)

Interesting.  I've not done the IJN DD lines yet (maybe I'll get around to it one day), so thanks for the advice :)

• Cool 1