Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Soshi_Sone

Another Defeatist Thread

47 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

1,920
[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,861 posts
13,078 battles

This time with pictures.  Note the chat early game.  One of our players has already given up.  Yeah, we're down a cap, a ship, and over 100 points.  But we have excellent positioning, mutual support, and focus fire.  The enemy is spread out.  The Biz and Ed in front of me are doing great in the lead, allowing me to push up even while bottom tier and lending close support.  I guess this could also be a bottom tier thread too!

 

nolose.thumb.jpg.7a8df96f5f59034641150d792acac5c0.jpg

 

 

 

And here is how it ended.  Not just a win...but a decisive win.

 

nolose2.thumb.jpg.65ed32f3c9d379229055a7344913436c.jpg

 

Don't give up folks.

 

p.s., Oh my, check out where our T5 ended up...in the T8 match!!!!

Edited by Soshi_Sone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
715
[USCC2]
Members
3,595 posts

:Smile_amazed: I agree that as long as there are ships on your team, you can turn any game that is not going well into a win - but if someone chooses to look at a situation in a particular way, then that is their choice.

 

It seems you are asking for people to stop being defeatist(?) - what does it matter if you remain positive and believe a win is always possible whatever the odds? :Smile_honoring:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,281
[RKLES]
Members
7,243 posts
9,040 battles

Had 4 ships on my team sail around the map together and wipe out all 12 of the enemy ships.

I had my Bismarck, also there was an Atlanta, a DD, and forgot what the 4th was. Anyway it was fun lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
398
[R-F1]
Beta Testers
1,874 posts
6,902 battles

The problem I see here isn't the defeatist attitude... it's the WRONG defeatist attitude.

 

Calling the outcome of something with a proper understanding of the situation is perfectly valid.

 

Calling the outcome of something without a proper understanding of the situation is wrong.

 

What that guy did in the example of the OP is equivalent to what the pundits did in the presidential election.

 

It doesn't mean making a determination on the likely outcome is bad or shouldn't occur; it only means doing so with faulty or biased data, or alternatively a lack of proper comprehension of what the data says is occurring, is bad and shouldn't occur.

Edited by Shadeylark

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
715
[USCC2]
Members
3,595 posts
1 hour ago, Shadeylark said:

The problem I see here isn't the defeatist attitude... it's the WRONG defeatist attitude.

 

Calling the outcome of something with a proper understanding of the situation is perfectly valid.

 

Calling the outcome of something without a proper understanding of the situation is wrong.

 

What that guy did in the example of the OP is equivalent to what the pundits did in the presidential election.

 

It doesn't mean making a determination on the likely outcome is bad or shouldn't occur; it only means doing so with faulty or biased data, or alternatively a lack of proper comprehension of what the data says is occurring, is bad and shouldn't occur.

Agree to an extent, but then again:

 

Experience and weighing up the odds can give you an idea of how a battle may go - but with things like dev strikes or detonations and the sheer spectrum of the player base (different levels of skill), how do you truely 'understand' the situation you are in?

 

That is where I tend to go back to my basic take on things - if I'm alive, I can win! :Smile_teethhappy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supertester
505 posts
4,421 battles

mhmmm

8 minutes ago, _WaveRider_ said:

Agree to an extent, but then again:

 

Experience and weighing up the odds can give you an idea of how a battle may go - but with things like dev strikes or detonations and the sheer spectrum of the player base (different levels of skill), how do you truely 'understand' the situation you are in?

 

That is where I tend to go back to my basic take on things - if I'm alive, I can win! :Smile_teethhappy:

1489316.1496096862.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
433
[CUTER]
Members
704 posts
19,097 battles

If I am in a losing situation, I usually quote one of my favorite movies.  This usually serves as a tell to the enemy team that I am going down...but they are going to know they are in a fight.

 

"Not without incident"

 

 

That said, I have no problem communicating with my own team in chat to try and motivate them.  :Smile_izmena:

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
566 posts
1,895 battles
4 hours ago, Soshi_Sone said:

This time with pictures.  Note the chat early game.  One of our players has already given up.  Yeah, we're down a cap, a ship, and over 100 points.  But we have excellent positioning, mutual support, and focus fire.  The enemy is spread out.  The Biz and Ed in front of me are doing great in the lead, allowing me to push up even while bottom tier and lending close support.  I guess this could also be a bottom tier thread too!

 

nolose.thumb.jpg.7a8df96f5f59034641150d792acac5c0.jpg

 

 

 

And here is how it ended.  Not just a win...but a decisive win.

 

nolose2.thumb.jpg.65ed32f3c9d379229055a7344913436c.jpg

 

Don't give up folks.

 

p.s., Oh my, check out where our T5 ended up...in the T8 match!!!!

Soshi-san I estimate some persons see futility in long odds, while other see challenge and honor. Matter of perception and motivation.  This is but a game and I desire (if correct word)? he is not same in his life endeavors. 

Wish I had skill as this as shown. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,234
[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,423 posts
9,614 battles
14 minutes ago, KongoPride said:

If I am in a losing situation, I usually quote one of my favorite movies.  This usually serves as a tell to the enemy team that I am going down...but they are going to know they are in a fight.

 

"Not without incident"

 

 

That said, I have no problem communicating with my own team in chat to try and motivate them.  :Smile_izmena:

One of my favorite movies.  Remember to take your meds....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
74
[CUTE]
Members
168 posts
12,737 battles
5 hours ago, Destroyer_Suzukaze said:

Did we give up when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? - Senator Blutarsky

Germany never bombed Pearl Harbour..... check your history my dude

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,234
[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,423 posts
9,614 battles
6 minutes ago, Icecaptain said:

Germany never bombed Pearl Harbour..... check your history my dude

OK....    FOOD FIGHT !!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
900
Members
5,579 posts
3,952 battles

Staving off defeatist thoughts is just as important as playing intelligently or thoughtfully or whatever else. No kidding. If you get caught in the trap of defeatism and begin to focus on your supposedly inevitable defeat, you'll stop thinking about the game and what you can do to win.

Edited by Elegant_Winter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
900
Members
5,579 posts
3,952 battles
42 minutes ago, Icecaptain said:

Germany never bombed Pearl Harbour..... check your history my dude

He's a smart person. I'm sure he knows that. :)

Edited by Elegant_Winter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,072
[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,193 posts
11,707 battles

I give up when I see things like undefended flanks, DD's who don't go anywhere near caps, and teams who all go to C on neighbors.  I still try but I do not expect to win, and I am rarely wrong about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,492 posts
6,195 battles
7 minutes ago, crzyhawk said:

I give up when I see things like undefended flanks, DD's who don't go anywhere near caps, and teams who all go to C on neighbors.  I still try but I do not expect to win, and I am rarely wrong about it.

Id DDs are spotting - no issues with that.  What irritates me is players announcing that DDs should be the only ones that cap.  Usually the person chatting this is a BB with a couple more BBs with them who refuse to cap.  Last night I actually had to state that ANYONE can cap.  More times this week than in the last 6+ months people insisting that only DDs cap.

Undefended flanks cause me to see red as it is usually the side I am on for some reason.  I usually make several comments about it in chat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,760
Members
18,363 posts
5,241 battles
36 minutes ago, Icecaptain said:

Germany never bombed Pearl Harbour..... check your history my dude

 

Bluto Blutarsky says they did. Check YOUR history..... then hand in your pledge pin!

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,072
[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,193 posts
11,707 battles

I try to support DD's as a cruiser main.  It's one of the reasons I like to play my Belfast and Perth as much as I do.  They have the tools to get close to caps and help cover DD's capping.  It gives the team a huge advantage when DD's start to knife fight in a cap and suddenly a Belfast decloaks from 9km with shots out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
166
[-AGW-]
Members
685 posts
3,886 battles
55 minutes ago, Icecaptain said:

Germany never bombed Pearl Harbour..... check your history my dude

Don't stop him, he's on a roll.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
715
[USCC2]
Members
3,595 posts
3 hours ago, HellaCopterRescue said:

mhmmm

1489316.1496096862.png

I do apologise, I'm not a reader of frog expressions or mhmmms (do frogs say mhmmm?). :Smile_teethhappy:

 

But to put it very simply (and how I look at it) - Due to the varying level of player skill and game mechanics like detonation, if you are alive in game, then there is always a chance to win! :Smile_honoring:

 

I await another mhmmm :Smile_teethhappy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56
[JASH]
Members
385 posts
5,253 battles
1 hour ago, Icecaptain said:

Germany never bombed Pearl Harbour..... check your history my dude

 

Buddy, you have to watch more classic movies.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
247
[SF-3]
Members
1,540 posts
8,175 battles

I can empathize with the guy, its really frustrating to see a team just flop around and inevitably lose. I have seen enough losing teams / players to reliably know when a game is lost. Some times I call it out, rarely am I wrong, but I never actually give up. If you are some one who actually gives up, and I have seen it, dont bother playing. This actually happens a lot in ranked, they give up, yolo but by the time they are dead or dying, we're back to winning, then they end up costing us the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×