You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
USSRichardNixon

How to get Sierra Mike (speed boost) flag?

22 comments in this topic

[ANIME]
Members
363 posts
9,306 battles

Carriers can be somewhat decent at getting double strikes at higher tiers.  In the later parts of the game when all the remaining DD's are weak, you could vector your DB's to one and your TB's to another and let RNG play its part, or if you see a weak BB, commit just enough to kill it and strike something else that is relatively low.  All of the other classes are hampered by their reload.  Splitting your salvo and trying to juggle health bars are extremely inefficient.  The other option is to just dump 15 torps with the Shima toward the enemy or smoke and hope people stumble into them.

[PSP]
Members
6,274 posts
8,908 battles

Play a torpedo ship and aim for any smoke you see. I've gotten a few double-strikes this way. Another way is to set a low-health ship on fire and then start shooting at another. Occasionally, the ship on fire will sink close enough to the other one to get you the double strike award.

[RKLES]
Members
7,211 posts
8,988 battles
12 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Play a torpedo ship and aim for any smoke you see. I've gotten a few double-strikes this way. Another way is to set a low-health ship on fire and then start shooting at another. Occasionally, the ship on fire will sink close enough to the other one to get you the double strike award.

Yeah I have gotten them with CVs, DDs, CAs, and even Torp Armed BBs.

Members
1,201 posts
8,185 battles
1 hour ago, USSRichardNixon said:

I can't find a way to consistently achieve Double Strike...

There is no way to consistently do it because it relies on too many things outside your control.  Even if you're playing a ship with fast reloads or lots of torpedo tubes or high fire starting chance or whatever, having a clear shot at two different targets that are both low enough for you to kill within a 10 second window and not having any of your teammates snipe either of them is just not a scenario you can deliberately manufacture.

The closest you can probably get is a late-game scenario when playing a CV, as you might be able to strike two separated enemies who are both low on health and AA guns at the same time, but that's still a situation many games never get to.

[PVE]
Members
9,740 posts
7,472 battles
3 hours ago, USSRichardNixon said:

It seems all other flags are all possible to get with a strategy. 

Play on the test server. Usually the task to get 3 each of the regular flags is not too difficult. When picking the containers for the day, pick the signal/camo one. Look for daily missions that have that flag as an award. I play mostly PvE and rarely play PvP, so that is how I get flags.

Members
1,157 posts
6,931 battles

Just a matter of being lucky or being in the right place at the right time and timing it right.   Things like shooting one or 2 turrets at 1 target, and use the other turret(s) on someone who is a one hit kill.  Or, just yolo a bunch of targets, and delete several ships quickly. 

Beta Testers
1,305 posts
6,546 battles

As people have mentioned, you do need a bit of luck for the game situation to present itself while you're there.
Ships I have had success with:
Des Moines - easiest conditions.  All you need is 2 broadside cruisers.  If you have all turrets firing, you can smack them for 8-10k a salvo.  The rest is timing.
Kaga- works best late game when damaged BBs group up for support, but have no AA left.  Especially if you're top tier.  Not very reliable when the enemy CV is still alive however.
Manual Secondary Nagato and Bismarck - Rush lower tier cruisers.  Hope the timing works out.   Nagato seems to be more successful, as her AP shells can actually citadel tier 5 cruisers if they try to go broadside.

Beta Testers
1,837 posts
10,762 battles

I can get them semi-reliably with Clemson. Charge into a bunch of red ships and lunch torps literally left and right. Shooting at the helpless IJN DD among them increases the chances a lot, too. 

[PVE]
Members
9,740 posts
7,472 battles
4 minutes ago, chewonit said:

I can get them semi-reliably with Clemson. Charge into a bunch of red ships and lunch torps literally left and right. Shooting at the helpless IJN DD among them increases the chances a lot, too. 

:Smile_teethhappy:

I know it was probably unintentional, but with the Clemson, it is appropriate. :Smile_honoring::Smile_teethhappy:

[ARMDA]
Members
8,993 posts
3,574 battles

Clemson works for me. Got 2 double strikes in the span of 20 seconds, by swinging my ship around and using torps on one enmy, guns on another, and my other torps on the 3rd.

Got the first two, and started to pummel the third down and torped the 4th.

[SYN]
Members
4,546 posts
11,437 battles
7 hours ago, USSRichardNixon said:

It seems all other flags are all possible to get with a strategy. 

Honestly the only way of getting Sierra-Mikes with any sort of consistency is to hopefully get them in your daily containers.  That's how I got the majority of mine.  I now have more than 400 Sierra-Mikes stockpiled.

Thing is, use them only on the fastest boats you have, and use them when you think you'll really need it (Clan/Ranked battles, when already running a ton of other signals and special camo, etc).  Most Russian destroyers and some French cruisers benefit the most from S-M, especially when they employ the Speed Boost consumable.  Do not use them on slower boats, as getting an extra knot (or even less in some cases) is pointless and a waste of a good signal.

[-K-]
Members
5,290 posts
9,108 battles

Just choose signal flags for your daily containers.  You're usually almost certain to get at least 4 in a one crate out of 3 per day, and they add up quickly when you are able to get all containers.

• Cool 1

[MIA-I]
Supertester
2,731 posts
4,737 battles

Sail a BB find some low health targets or get them down to low health.  Instead of firing all turrets, fire half your broadside salvo at one, half at the other.  Won't be easy and consistent but works sometimes. 

[BEAR]
Members
87 posts
3,061 battles

It is pretty Random but yeah I'd definetely say Clemson is #1. I could see Kaga, it is pretty severely OP after all.

[RUST]
Beta Testers
947 posts
10,405 battles

Three ways to get Sierra Mike Flags w/out getting double strikes

1. Play 1 game in PTS, you get 3 of every regular signal flags on the live server per test cycle

2. Choose signal flags when you open containers then pray to RNGesus.

3. Look for signal flag sales on premium shop. 

[PVE]
Members
9,740 posts
7,472 battles
1 hour ago, NCC81701 said:

Three ways to get Sierra Mike Flags w/out getting double strikes

1. Play 1 game in PTS, you get 3 of every regular signal flags on the live server per test cycle

2. Choose signal flags when you open containers then pray to RNGesus.

3. Look for signal flag sales on premium shop. 

Except the third option only gets you credits and XP flags. They do not sell the ship bonus flags.

[NG-NL]
Members
5,019 posts
8,259 battles

Sierra Mike flags are best had from flag containers.

Getting the DS in battle requires a lot of good luck. In my over 5500 battles, only gotten 37 Double Strikes.

Clemson can farm it, but it requires catching 2 BBs close together--very rarely happens. You're lucky to succeed if the opponent includes a cruiser or DD, as they also have torps.

BBs can get it, using secondaries or dividing MB between 2 low HP targets.

Cruisers need to rely on fire DoT to wipe one target and AP broadside to drop another. KMS and Russian cruisers are better given their RoF. IJN cruisers have to weave in and unload torps into 2 reds; given their limited torp volleys, as well as being fragile while trying to get sandwiched between 2 targets, it's almost impossible. US cruisers simply can't unless catch 2 low HP DDs together.

IJN CV is probably the best alongside Clemson for trying to get DS, since 2 sets of bombers on 2 targets, with proper planning, can frag them, but given the RNG nature of DB, it's difficult. All mine were by accident, such as when I used Taiho's TB to bag 2 DDs that just smoked in an effort to avoid my div mates' fire.

Members
9,974 posts
5 hours ago, Ace_04 said:

Just choose signal flags for your daily containers.  You're usually almost certain to get at least 4 in a one crate out of 3 per day, and they add up quickly when you are able to get all containers.

^This.

I get far more Sierra Mikes than I normally use out of containers, flag containers pretty much keep me stocked on everything I need for flags.