You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
CaptGodzillaPig

I get the hate on BBs ..rev.3 or maybe .4

60 comments in this topic

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles

I am a BB main.  I cut my teeth on BB when Tex first rolled out.   I rolled IJN to Yam.  KM to GK. GK has been my main stay since.  I have heard all the whining and complaining about BB play, and for a long time defended it.  But lately...   I cut loose from my long time BB play to pursue other lines.   Come on guys. Really?  I always thought us BB folks carried the load.   I was wrong.  I admit it.  I get it now.  There are still a few good BB divers out there.  But Shame.  SHAME.  I cannot sit here and say that BB play that I have seen is anything less than pathetic.

I still brawl my GK with pride.  There are some others that will still roll it as well.  The rest of you need to find another ship class to play.  Maybe Cruisers?

Edited by CaptGodzillaPig
  • Cool 2

[ARMDG]
Members
3,242 posts
1,567 battles

As someone who primarily splits their time between BBs and cruisers, the number of BBs that actually want to move in and support their team is woefully low.  At the same time, I've ran into very few players that are actually motivated to help their BB push when they do, which further encourages BB players to hang at the rear.  It's a mess from both sides, and nothing but finger pointing as to who causes the problem.

Also, GK brawling buddies!  Secondary build for life.

• Cool 4

[RKLES]
Members
7,213 posts
9,006 battles

Yeah I have been told a I am a rare breed of BB player because I actually roll right in with my BBs and support as needed which often includes helping  DDs and CAs with bases or pushes.

Nothing like gutting a Montana with a secondary spec Bismarck or a Missouri with a Gneisenau lol.

Edited by Admiral_Thrawn_1
  • Cool 2

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles
1 minute ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Yeah I have been told a I am a rare breed of BB player because I actually roll right in with my BBs and support as needed which often includes helping  DDs and CAs with bases or pushes.

Nothing like gutting a Montana with a secondary spec Bismarck or a Missouri with a Gneisenau lol.

You sir...   You get a plus 1. 

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles
9 minutes ago, Sirus_Patton said:

As someone who primarily splits their time between BBs and cruisers, the number of BBs that actually want to move in and support their team is woefully low.  At the same time, I've ran into very few players that are actually motivated to help their BB push when they do, which further encourages BB players to hang at the rear.  It's a mess from both sides, and nothing but finger pointing as to who causes the problem.

Annnd this is the main point I have made over many years as a BB driver.  People piss and moan and yadda yadda.   But when a BB pushes, that is a commit.  He can't get out.  You gotta back that.  If he burns and dies...oh than he is a stupid bb player.  This whole game pisses me off.  If I didn't have fun just blowing crapup I would get really annoyed.  Thank god Games are fun for me and not my life..

• Cool 2

Members
1,864 posts
8,920 battles

I still die a lot because I aggressively support anybody that pushes. I noticed most BB players were doing it wrong almost immediately. BBs shouldn't get all the hate though because there are a LOT of Cruisers that will abandon you if somebody farts in their general direction. Paying more attention to the mini-map has helped but it has more to do with noticing when your team is abandoning you than it does general map position. I've had to be a little more cautious with the RN BBs but I've actually found myself playing the German BBs a lot now that I finally got to the Conqueror. I seem to have finally learned how to play the Scharnhorst too which is very welcome since it was always my favorite ship even though I couldn't play it very well.

[USCC2]
Members
3,576 posts

You are only ever responsible for your own play, simple as that. For me (so keeping it simple :Smile_teethhappy:) it's:

• Trying to understand the strengths and weaknesses of your ships and try to play to the ship's strengths.
  • Try to understand the strengths and weaknesses of the enemy ships and exploit their weakness.
  • Read the mini map/flow of the battle (this links in with the first 2 points anyway).
  • Try to help the rest of your team.

This goes for all ships and not just BBs, but as this topic is regarding BBs I'll just say that most BBs I've played with are good players. They will play to the ships strengths, punish the enemy and play their own game understanding that if they commit to going forward that is their choice. Sounds harsh, but it is true. If a BB has decided to push and it goes against the flow of the battle they have no one but themselves to blame. If I can help then I will, but my support will not be to the detriment of playing to my strengths (as that will just mean 2 ships are playing poorly).

The only time I would counter the above points is that, if your team has decided to take a particular course of action - then you try to see it through! Of course communication is the key here, as Godzilla states, BBs are difficult to pull out of an engagement once committed. However, if you are all playing  to the strengths and recognise that the flow of the battle does not go your way I would expect that, through communication, the team 'plan' would change to try and get the best result out of what turned out to be a bad plan.

All ship types have a mixture of players (good and bad). :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1

Members
474 posts
8,544 battles
1 hour ago, CaptGodzillaPig said:

I am a BB main.  I cut my teeth on BB when Tex first rolled out.   I rolled IJN to Yam.  KM to GK. GK has been my main stay since.  I have heard all the whining and complaining about BB play, and for a long time defended it.  But lately...   I cut loose from my long time BB play to pursue other lines.   Come on guys. Really?  I always thought us BB folks carried the load.   I was wrong.  I admit it.  I get it now.  There are still a few good BB divers out there.  But Shame.  SHAME.  I cannot sit here and say that BB play that I have seen is anything less than pathetic.

I still brawl my GK with pride.  There are some others that will still roll it as well.  The rest of you need to find another ship class to play.  Maybe Cruisers?

You'd be surprised how often I find myself front of the line wondering... why is my team so far back?  I started behind all of you, I am in a slow BB yet I am now ahead?  I try to verbally tell them where I am going, what I am supporting, and so they know hey, this big [edited]BB with big [edited]guns will help me.  Maybe I'll attack.   I remember telling this New orleans that I in my tier X german BB I was going to help them.  Just move up enough to radar.  What do they do?  When another tier X german BB said the same thing to him?  The very start of the match they turn and sail further BACK behind us.  I got killed becuase of 2 ships in smoke that one radar could have allowed me to instantly kill them...  was a frustrating match to say the least.

[PT8TO]
Members
277 posts
11,725 battles
1 hour ago, Pulicat said:

Ship classes don't 'carry the load', good players do.

That's it!:etc_red_button:

Members
3,796 posts
14,076 battles
2 hours ago, CaptGodzillaPig said:

There are still a few good BB divers out there.  But Shame.  SHAME.  I cannot sit here and say that BB play that I have seen is anything less than pathetic.

Pard, I've seen a lot of CA, DD, and CV play that was pathetic too. My goal is to not be one of those pathetic players.

[-AA-]
Members
1,729 posts
6,657 battles

As someone who prefers cruisers... Don´t diminish cruisers. A BB only needs to be bait (not even talking about maneouvring) , where a cruiser needs to do a lot more to be useful :)

EDIT: I do need a BB to kill the Khab for me. Forget about that little bugger...

Edited by joris92

[CRUEL]
[CRUEL]
Members
154 posts
16,165 battles

Most teams don't support BB s when they push or are even in close support of the team. Most of the time they cut and run and your left out there by your self to slow to withdraw. One of the best games I ever participated in was in my Tirpiz The DD s were out front the Ca s in support of the DDs and I supported the CA s I would follow stop/slow support move up repeat. We rolled them. I think with BBs you need to be able to stay in range to support at a decent range but also give yourself time to withdrawal when things start going against you.  Follow Stop/Slow Support  Move Up Repeat. You cant camp and snipe.

Members
566 posts
1,893 battles
4 hours ago, _WaveRider_ said:

You are only ever responsible for your own play, simple as that. For me (so keeping it simple :Smile_teethhappy:) it's:

• Trying to understand the strengths and weaknesses of your ships and try to play to the ship's strengths.
  • Try to understand the strengths and weaknesses of the enemy ships and exploit their weakness.
  • Read the mini map/flow of the battle (this links in with the first 2 points anyway).
  • Try to help the rest of your team.

This goes for all ships and not just BBs, but as this topic is regarding BBs I'll just say that most BBs I've played with are good players. They will play to the ships strengths, punish the enemy and play their own game understanding that if they commit to going forward that is their choice. Sounds harsh, but it is true. If a BB has decided to push and it goes against the flow of the battle they have no one but themselves to blame. If I can help then I will, but my support will not be to the detriment of playing to my strengths (as that will just mean 2 ships are playing poorly).

The only time I would counter the above points is that, if your team has decided to take a particular course of action - then you try to see it through! Of course communication is the key here, as Godzilla states, BBs are difficult to pull out of an engagement once committed. However, if you are all playing  to the strengths and recognise that the flow of the battle does not go your way I would expect that, through communication, the team 'plan' would change to try and get the best result out of what turned out to be a bad plan.

All ship types have a mixture of players (good and bad). :Smile_honoring:

Little experience in game or with the BB class. I find what Mr. WaveRider states logical and understandable. I believe the order of commitment he asserts not only helps him but the team if it is played well. Clarification though I spend most games submerged early but do stay and watch. Thank you for your well thought through post 

• Cool 1

[OPG]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,897 posts
10,471 battles

I refuse to play BBs anymore bc cruisers and dds are easier to carry with.

• Cool 1

Members
18,251 posts
5,220 battles
1 hour ago, joris92 said:

EDIT: I do need a BB to kill the Khab for me. Forget about that little bugger...

Don't be so needy. KM 203mm HE does a fine job.....:Smile_teethhappy:

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles
6 hours ago, Pulicat said:

Ship classes don't 'carry the load', good players do.

As is the "Purple Mantra".  And I do not disagree.    I am not referring to those that play in the upper 30% range.  I am talking about the other 70% that the rest of us play with day in, day out.  Game in, game out. 

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles
5 hours ago, Valdez_Raptor said:

You'd be surprised how often I find myself front of the line wondering... why is my team so far back?  I started behind all of you, I am in a slow BB yet I am now ahead?  I try to verbally tell them where I am going, what I am supporting, and so they know hey, this big [edited]BB with big [edited]guns will help me.  Maybe I'll attack.   I remember telling this New orleans that I in my tier X german BB I was going to help them.  Just move up enough to radar.  What do they do?  When another tier X german BB said the same thing to him?  The very start of the match they turn and sail further BACK behind us.  I got killed becuase of 2 ships in smoke that one radar could have allowed me to instantly kill them...  was a frustrating match to say the least.

This guy has it right.  Thanks for expanding on my thought along with your purple sig.  Me being the lowly mid range player I am, I usually get dusted for my observations or just get told to "git good".  I am fine thank you.    I can't count how many games that exact scenario has played out for me.  "Go to (whatever) cap!!"   Then you get there and you are the only one pointed in when everyone else is running.  BB's don't run.  You either start the game as a chicken (cough cough Yammy drivers) or you start the game a battle leader.  But your choice is your choice and it is very hard to change,  Even in the most nimble of them like Amagi or NC..  If you are leading the push for your team and they decide to go.  They go...and you eat a big turd waffle. 

Edited by CaptGodzillaPig

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,282 posts

Personally - when I'm in a dd with low concealment, having a cruiser with much worse concealment up my stern is simply not appreciated. It's enough for the reds to know, generally speaking, when a cruiser is spotted, it's likely a dd is nearby. I'm probably different than most, but I prefer the cruisers to lay back about 5km from me to focus down on any dd i might reveal. I like the BB's two to five km behind the cruisers. All bows going the same direction and at less than full speed - unless an obvious route is ongoing. 

But that's just me. 

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles
Just now, Elegant_Winter said:

I don't get the hate. Hating people won't make them better.

You never went to boot camp...   lol.  :)

• Cool 1

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles
1 hour ago, Fog_Battleship_NCarolina said:

I refuse to play BBs anymore bc cruisers and dds are easier to carry with.

I am actually coming around on this idea.  I love BB play.  I doubt that will ever change.  But lately as I have been running the KM DD line I have seen that I can have a lot more influence on the game.  For better or worse.  It makes me focus a lot more on what is going on that when I am just trucking along in the GK. 

Members
5,579 posts
3,952 battles
16 minutes ago, CaptGodzillaPig said:

You never went to boot camp...   lol.  :)

If I hate you will you improve?

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles
1 minute ago, Elegant_Winter said:

If I hate you will you improve?

Probably not.  ;).   At least not because of that.  I hope that I improve as I play and learn...even as long as I have been doing it. 

Members
5,579 posts
3,952 battles
29 minutes ago, CaptGodzillaPig said:

Probably not.  ;).   At least not because of that.  I hope that I improve as I play and learn...even as long as I have been doing it. 

That's how everyone else is too, so it doesn't make sense to hate them. They learn as they play and enjoy what they're doing. Pushing a bunch of hatred that comes from unmet expectations onto them doesn't do anyone any good. It's better to just not have those expectations to begin with. You save yourself the frustration and you save them from your hatred.

Edited by Elegant_Winter
  • Cool 3