You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
HazeGrayUnderway

Been many months since I used my Okhotnik

21 comments in this topic

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,219 posts
14,630 battles

... And I quickly remembered why I like this very odd RU DD.

pYrmGrK.jpg

It's always a rush trying to get in good torpedo runs.  Most especially when the torp max range is only 4.5km :Smile_hiding:

[SALVO]
Members
17,145 posts
17,811 battles

I've been hoping that the Okhotnik would be back on sale, because I'd be very, very tempted to buy it.

[PVE]
Members
5,681 posts
18,265 battles

Of all the DDs I have played, the Okhotnik is one of my favorite ships of the class. Derski comes in a close second. Pop a speed flag on her and she really shines.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,219 posts
14,630 battles
19 minutes ago, Crucis said:

I've been hoping that the Okhotnik would be back on sale, because I'd be very, very tempted to buy it.

Okhotnik is a set of contradictions.

She has tons of guns but the traverse is sluggish, very noticeable if the range is short.

The 4.5km torps may make you think "Knife Fighter" but her turning sucks and her hull is long, which can be dangerous with enemy torps.

But if you play it right, the sheer amount of guns she has is absolutely punishing for any DD.  If you play it right, the sheer amount of torpedoes can put most ships down in one go.  You really need to see what happens when you prepare for a DD fight and launch torps early, then watch the other DD's actions when he sees a wall of torpedoes coming his way.  You can taste the panic in the air.  This is the kind of torpedo wall that you see from TR boosted Shiratsuyu, from Shimakaze.  But yours is only 4.5km.  While they panic, you pummel them with the guns.  Not too many out there can be very defensive to evade torps while still accurately counterattacking at the same time.  For most, it's one or the other.

IMO, this DD excels if it enters the fight with anticipation, preparedness.  If this DD gets surprised, she sucks balls.  She is clumsy if you need her to suddenly shift to something completely different.  The slow turn, the long hull, the slow gun traverse... Those are bad ingredients if you are not ready.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles

I see the Okhotnik more than I do the Gremyashchy.

Three weeks after the Okhotnik came out, I've seen one 2xs.:Smile_teethhappy:

[RLGN]
Members
8,298 posts
17,365 battles
35 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

Of all the DDs I have played, the Okhotnik is one of my favorite ships of the class. Derski comes in a close second. Pop a speed flag on her and she really shines.

Oddly enough I LOATHED Derpski because I could never get it to deliver on its reputation. On the other hand I call Okhotmik a tier 5 Derpski..

22 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

If you play it right, the sheer amount of torpedoes can put most ships down in one go

Like a Nagato from terrain; who suddenly found 12 torpedoes coming his way from less than 3k... I also lived to keep fighting.

22 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

IMO, this DD excels if it enters the fight with anticipation, preparedness.  If this DD gets surprised, she sucks balls.  She is clumsy if you need her to suddenly shift to something completely different.  The slow turn, the long hull, the slow gun traverse... Those are bad ingredients if you are not ready.

Well put.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,010 posts
7,530 battles

Ohk is epic. When you add in that looooooooooooooooooow torp reload, she's a constant shell and torp vomiting monster, and she can take on anything, all while giggling like Harley Quinn.

• Cool 1

[GLF]
Members
777 posts
9,402 battles
10 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Most especially when the torp max range is only 4.5km :Smile_hiding:

I silent torp with her all the time.  its funny to watch the rudder reactions when 12 torpedoes appear out of nowhere to an oncoming ship.   Many LOLs are had.  

To do so, is not for the faint of heart though.  You have to push that bleeding edge of concealment and spotting-death and have a perfect setup to pull it off.  One less than perfect decision means burning a smoke and missing all the torps.  

I also like to solicit chat responses, when you catch someone flat footed or beached with like 500 hp, and you offload all 12 torps into them for good measure.  Then they ask if that was really necessary.  lol.  

Some people overlook it, but please don't miss your opportunity to obliterate broadside cruisers with Okhotnik AP.   Sometimes I launch torps right at them not for the torp kill, but so they have to turn and give me those glorious, motherland citadel volleys.  

Love my Ok.  it is partybote. 

Edited by AnimaL21

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,219 posts
14,630 battles
6 hours ago, AnimaL21 said:

I silent torp with her all the time.  its funny to watch the rudder reactions when 12 torpedoes appear out of nowhere to an oncoming ship.   Many LOLs are had.  

To do so, is not for the faint of heart though.  You have to push that bleeding edge of concealment and spotting-death and have a perfect setup to pull it off.  One less than perfect decision means burning a smoke and missing all the torps.  

I also like to solicit chat responses, when you catch someone flat footed or beached with like 500 hp, and you offload all 12 torps into them for good measure.  Then they ask if that was really necessary.  lol.  

Some people overlook it, but please don't miss your opportunity to obliterate broadside cruisers with Okhotnik AP.   Sometimes I launch torps right at them not for the torp kill, but so they have to turn and give me those glorious, motherland citadel volleys.  

Love my Ok.  it is partybote. 

The best is when you see their turrets turning towards your torpedoes and they accept their fate :Smile_teethhappy:

[GLF]
Members
777 posts
9,402 battles
13 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

The best is when you see their turrets turning towards your torpedoes and they accept their fate :Smile_teethhappy:

I am convinced that everything, is the best, with Okhotnik russia power.  :Smile_smile:

Members
1,551 posts
8,274 battles

Hey

Thanks Wargaming for letting me try the Okhotnik; It's a fun little ship that can do get decent damage when played right, lot of fun.  Been doing ok with it even with no upgrades and 0 pt. captain.  This thing could be a real beast with a 10 pt. captain!  I like it!

Pete

P.S.  Maybe Wargaming should do a try it before you buy it campaign more often for premiums, just a thought.

Edited by sasquatch_research

[SALVO]
Members
17,145 posts
17,811 battles
19 hours ago, Wulfgarn said:

I see the Okhotnik more than I do the Gremyashchy.

Three weeks after the Okhotnik came out, I've seen one 2xs.:Smile_teethhappy:

Wulfgarn, I wonder if this may be due to a lot of Beta era players having left the game, either permanently or temporarily, since, IIRC, the Gremy was a Beta era premium ship.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,219 posts
14,630 battles
7 hours ago, Crucis said:

Wulfgarn, I wonder if this may be due to a lot of Beta era players having left the game, either permanently or temporarily, since, IIRC, the Gremy was a Beta era premium ship.

The only way I got Gremyaschy was from the Santa Boxes of 2016.  The ship has otherwise been out of circulation since WG pulled it in what?  Late 2015?  But yes, the ship is exceedingly rare these days.

[-GPS-]
Members
2,545 posts
25,100 battles

It's funny to read the complaints above it Okhotnik in chat from new renters. He shoots seven (7) Svietlana/Krazny Krem guns. Yes, the reload is long. Yes, the turret traverse is painfully slow but 5 of the 7 rotate 360 degrees. And he can put 12 torps in the water with ridiculous regularity. 

My favorite stunt is racing toward a BB then popping smoke while firing continuously just before or as they spot you. Usually, they keep charging you but it doesn't matter. Launch the wall of torps, shoot some more, and fire more torps I found the first batch didn't do the trick. 

I also enjoy holding down the left mouse button for the rainbow of fire. It is intimidating. Alternatively, a seven round salvo of Stalinium AP into the broadside of a cruiser can easily ring their bell.  Repeatedly. Last night I citadeled a Kuma bow on. I don't think he liked me much since he spent the rest of his time in battle trying to shoot my skinny little Viking boat. I sank him because he was getting annoying. 

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,010 posts
7,530 battles
On 10/12/2017 at 8:26 PM, Crucis said:

They got rid of OWSF, and all of a sudden Gremy became just a regular ship, and at being a regular ship, she does not excel at all. So, few play it, now.

[-GPS-]
Members
2,545 posts
25,100 battles
7 hours ago, TheKrimzonDemon said:

They got rid of OWSF, and all of a sudden Gremy became just a regular ship, and at being a regular ship, she does not excel at all. So, few play it, now.

I have to respectfully disagree. Gremyaschy is NOT just a "regular ship".  It is slightly or more better than the Tier 6 Anshan in most respects. At Tier 5. He has great guns with really good and usable range. The AP is certified Stalinium. The HE lights fires frequently. The 8 km torps may not be IJN destructive, but they give targets very little reaction time and are quite useful.

My win rate in Gremyaschy is just a touch under 65% for 194 battles with 1.4 average kills and 45,800 average damage. Only my recent Kamikaze R Acquisition out-performs the Gremy as a Tier 5 DD. 

The one catch is that the Gremy, like Okhotnik and Leningrad, only becomes really powerful with a dedicated, high skill point captain. You really need a 16-point captain to start wrecking the world:  PM, LS, EM, BFT, AFT, CE. Put the last 3 points in a Demo Expert and go to war!

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,010 posts
7,530 battles
8 minutes ago, Landing_Skipper said:

I have to respectfully disagree. Gremyaschy is NOT just a "regular ship".  It is slightly or more better than the Tier 6 Anshan in most respects. At Tier 5. He has great guns with really good and usable range. The AP is certified Stalinium. The HE lights fires frequently. The 8 km torps may not be IJN destructive, but they give targets very little reaction time and are quite useful.

My win rate in Gremyaschy is just a touch under 65% for 194 battles with 1.4 average kills and 45,800 average damage. Only my recent Kamikaze R Acquisition out-performs the Gremy as a Tier 5 DD. 

The one catch is that the Gremy, like Okhotnik and Leningrad, only becomes really powerful with a dedicated, high skill point captain. You really need a 16-point captain to start wrecking the world:  PM, LS, EM, BFT, AFT, CE. Put the last 3 points in a Demo Expert and go to war!

You contradicted yourself, and proved my point. Thank you for that. A ship that ONLY becomes great with a high point, ship dedicated, captain, and with that comes an very experienced player, is just a regular 'ol ship for just about everyone.

She has horrid traverse, slow speed torps and low power torps, not to mention just 6 of them. Her concealment is average, her speed isn't even pedal to the metal race car speed. Without OWSF, she is a just a regular, ho-hum, boring ship.

[WOLF9]
Members
3,256 posts
2 hours ago, TheKrimzonDemon said:

You contradicted yourself, and proved my point. Thank you for that. A ship that ONLY becomes great with a high point, ship dedicated, captain, and with that comes an very experienced player, is just a regular 'ol ship for just about everyone.

She has horrid traverse, slow speed torps and low power torps, not to mention just 6 of them. Her concealment is average, her speed isn't even pedal to the metal race car speed. Without OWSF, she is a just a regular, ho-hum, boring ship.

It's a Gnevny at tier 5 (it's original tier)- with much longer range torpedoes.

I like Gnevny, but the grind is hellish, due to the tier 6 MM.   Haven't tried Okhotnok more than a couple of times in pvp- seems more like a novelty ship than anything.  Great for pounding things to shards, but it handles like crap!  I think I ram more islands in that ship than any other- and I have a talent for that,lol.