You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
dmckay

Tanks or Ships?

32 comments in this topic

Members
4,576 posts
6,533 battles

WG has two prominent free to play games. World of Tanks and World of Warships. I play both but far far less of WoT these days. Which of these 2 if ya got em both do you now play the most and why?  I play WoWs mostly now.  WoT has just passed me by unless I pump $ money in to be even moderately competitive. Power creep has just got too crazy for me in that game. What one do you play the most now. Why?  Just curious. Comments? 

Edited by dmckay

Members
519 posts
3,432 battles

Ships until the games become like WoT with all the gg noobs  [edited] in chat after they yolo ........

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Supertester
19,262 posts
12,815 battles
2 minutes ago, khorender_1 said:

Ships until the games become like WoT with all the gg noobs  [edited] in chat after they yolo ........

That's why I turned chat off in clanky tanks.

As for me, I play both but Botes is my primary, I play tonks only rarely nowadays.

• Cool 1

Members
4,576 posts
6,533 battles
14 minutes ago, khorender_1 said:

I fear ships (which I enjoy) going the way of WoT.  See.....my thread does have an agenda. However I do think over time it will get issues as I feel WoT does. Now, this is just my opinion and nothing more.  Stuff like this is very subjective. If you like WoT great...if you like WoWs ....great. OK?

Edited by dmckay

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,357 posts
9,549 battles

Mostly WOWs, rarely play WoT, and if I'm drunk enough, WoWp

[LANCE]
Members
314 posts
3,290 battles

I’ve got 160+ tanks but haven’t played in months now. Some of the changes being implemented just turned me off it (changes to arty, super heavy heavies and premium “skill” rounds, changes to light tanks).

Playing ships only at the moment but still finding the transition a little hard as I still try to play ships like I played tanks I.e. very aggressive pushes, abusing view range (can be done in ships but not as easily as spotting and backing up away from the bush before firing) etc. It’ll click in time I hope. 

• Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
8,297 posts
17,360 battles

Ships way more than tanks.

Usually won't bother playing tanks unless I need to to qualify for a handout, (like the usual Christmas tank/free garage slot,) or if it's a x5 weekend.

Ships I at least feel I can have some positive influence on the battle; probably because it's slower-paced.

Tanks I can't really stand because every game it feeling like nothing happens except me getting farmed by unicums with 4-5 years experience and maxed out crews/skills and tanks.

'Git gud?' (In tanks.) How exactly am I supposed to do that when I can't survive long enough to learn anything? I do have occasionally great games; but such things are exceptionally rare.

If ships is 'going the way of tanks' in any way; to me it seems it is in the sense of the ridiculously difficult 'Daily Missions' in tanks, translating into tasks in ships, and essentially being things that are 'unicums only need apply.'

• Cool 1

[TFLT]
[TFLT]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
657 posts
8,008 battles

Ships are where it's at for me now.  Quit tanks maybe a year ago.  Was getting burned out in any event.  We were down to playing pretty much weekend tourneys exclusively, until the cheating became so blatantly obvious.  That was pretty much the last straw.

[SPTR]
Members
25,820 posts
11,141 battles

ships most if not all the time for me, WoT's merging of the NA server is just tad too laggy compared to playing on the once existing USW server from Australia, as if the toxic chat/ forum community possibly due to the age of the playerbase wasn't enough to deal with. 

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
3,856 posts
4,224 battles

I tried Tanks once.

Then I tried ships. When I played ships, I could actually hit what I aimed at, in most cases. I could contribute to matches, even when bottom tier. I could feel like I was having a measurable impact on the game.

Sorry, but World of Tanks is just an RNG simulator up until Tiers 8 through 10. And I'm not going to bother to grind-up to those tiers.

Members
448 posts
7,474 battles

Despite multiple tier 10s I haven't played tanks in a couple of years, decided to play ships at launch and do not have a strong urge to return to tanks for two primary reasons:

1) No pay2win here, WoT has gold rounds that cheese the gameplay immensely.

2) Better community here.

[CTF80]
[CTF80]
Members
4,236 posts
10,585 battles

WoWS almost exclusively, because in spite of all the buffoonery and weekend warriors, it's still nowhere near as toxic as WoT.  I haven't played WoT in months.

[SALVO]
Members
17,139 posts
17,811 battles
12 minutes ago, Capt_Binkley said:

I play Warships much more than Tanks. I enjoy them both, but I prefer the pace and planning of warships.

This describes me as well.  I prefer the slower pace of WoWS.  Honestly, I hate that WoT has become increasingly faster and faster pace.  I prefer the slower, more thoughtful pace to the faster pace that seems to value defeating your enemy with better twitch responses  rather than outthinking them.

• Cool 1

[RKN]
Members
652 posts
7,515 battles

I did play Tanks back before but I got bored... and someone also in discord showed me how this little tank's HE shells Ricochets from Maus... Made me more "nononono, Im not playing this game anymore"

[RKLES]
Beta Testers
471 posts
6,508 battles
8 minutes ago, Crucis said:

This describes me as well.  I prefer the slower pace of WoWS.  Honestly, I hate that WoT has become increasingly faster and faster pace.  I prefer the slower, more thoughtful pace to the faster pace that seems to value defeating your enemy with better twitch responses  rather than outthinking them.

Exactly

[RLGN]
Members
8,297 posts
17,360 battles
26 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Same here...

19 minutes ago, DJ_PON3_ZaNe said:

I did play Tanks back before but I got bored...

This too... Seeing everyone run to the same places again and again, then bounce back and forth trying to out-shoot whoever was around the corner instead of trying to outflank them got old pretty quick...

[LHG]
Members
1,659 posts
4,932 battles

I play WOWS probably 80% of the time or more and there are a few reasons for that. 

1) Shortly after I started playing WOWS I went to try WOT out.  What majorly turned me off were the wait times to get into a battle.  If you were playing a low tiered tank (which, as a beginner you don't have much choice about) then you'd hit the battle button, wait for 15 minutes then get booted back to the garage to start it all over again.  WOT matches at low tiers tend to move a lot faster that WOWS so you usually get exploderated awfully fast.  Without the ability to get back into the game quickly, there really was no way to get into enough battles to figure out wth you were doing for the time you were spending.  They've changed that now and it's a lot easier to get into a battle now but back then ... not so much.

2) WOT has kind of gone the Laser Armed Scuba Hamster route as they try to find ever more new tanks to fill their tech trees and premium offerings.  At this point there are far more prototypes, one off conversions that may have happened once, just basically anything to get a new tank on the tree than there are real tanks that fought real battles.  It somewhat spoils the experience for me. 

3) I'm just not as good at tanks.  I suppose if I played a few thousand games I'd get better at it but I've already invested that time here so it seems to make more sense to Git Gud here.

4) I like to compete but I'm not good enough to be a player an ultra competitive clan would want, nor to I live and breathe these games to the extent that I either have the desire or time to invest in one even if I could. That kind of pushes me out of the whole "Clan Wars" thing, but here, we have Ranked Battles, and you don't need to have a Tier 10 ship to fight in one (like the beta versions of WOT Ranked Battles is using).  You just have to have a modicum of competence and you can be out there competing and that's something I value.   I'm sure Ranked Battles will eventually make it's way into Tanks but I get the impression that when it does, it will be sort of an ultra elites thingee so even if I wanted to, chances are I wouldn't be able to participate. 

Don't get me wrong, I do move over to WOT sometimes when I get a bit burned out on warships and sometimes I'll even go fight the bots on WOWP as well, but unless they do something epically moronic here, I keep coming back to WOWS. 

[PSP]
Members
6,342 posts
8,968 battles
42 minutes ago, Crucis said:

This describes me as well.  I prefer the slower pace of WoWS.  

I've was around plenty of tanks in the Army but the only warships I've been on were museum ships. What drew me to this game was that I ran across a Jingles video. Having really enjoyed learning about the WWI planes in the old Red Baron series, I thought that it would be interesting to play some of the ships of that era too. I still get a kick out of looking over the various ships in 3-D. Also, at my age, the pace of WOWS suits me fine.  

[ERN]
Members
605 posts
8,301 battles

Originally played WOT, but only to pass the time until WOWS was available for MACs.