You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
tcbaker777

Just a thought

12 comments in this topic

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
5,073 posts
6,781 battles

So, I was thinking, would being able to walk around on the decks of our ships in port be a easy addition? Just walking around for size comparison, seeing just how big everything is/was on the ships, kinda like a free roam, I dunno, I personally think it would be a nice little thing to be able to do

• Cool 1

[BLUE_]
Members
399 posts
14,376 battles

It would be interesting, but the amount of details that would need to be added would consume a lot of low performance PCs.

I know there are some VR stuff about WWII ships around. I remember one from Yamato.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
6,103 posts
1,313 battles

There was at one point a little teaser thingy of sailors walking around on the decks of our ships... but I haven't heard anything about that since it was first "announced" so I dunno if its even a thing anymore...

Sucks too cause I was actually looking forward to it... :(

[ERN]
Members
605 posts
8,301 battles

Or at least being able to view the ship from the bridge/conning tower

[NERO]
Members
3,542 posts

I'd be happy with a truly free roaming camera in port. There's a lot of little detail on the ships that you can't really get a good look at from any normally available angle. 

[HINON]
Modder, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles

It definitely isn't easy that is for sure.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,802 posts
15,249 battles
32 minutes ago, Kitsunelegend said:

There was at one point a little teaser thingy of sailors walking around on the decks of our ships...

30 minutes ago, Spooooooooooooooooooooon said:

Would love crews on the ships, manning the guns, etc.

32 minutes ago, Kitsunelegend said:

Sucks too cause I was actually looking forward to it... :(

If I remember correctly there is a difference in the rating the game gets if there are actual people represented on ships as opposed to the ships just being there without being crewed. It's been a long time since I read it, and I honestly do not remember if I saw it on the webpage or in a Pigeon post.

As far as walking around the decks in a virtual reality tour, programming real-time, 360 degree processing would be the equivalent of launching a Mars shot in 3D. Very expensive and time consuming allocation of resources with a very small monetary return.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
6,103 posts
1,313 battles
5 minutes ago, Umikami said:

If I remember correctly there is a difference in the rating the game gets if there are actual people represented on ships as opposed to the ships just being there without being crewed. It's been a long time since I read it, and I honestly do not remember if I saw it on the webpage or in a Pigeon post.

As far as walking around the decks in a virtual reality tour, programming real-time, 360 degree processing would be the equivalent of launching a Mars shot in 3D. Very expensive and time consuming allocation of resources with a very small monetary return.

Well, from the little snipit I saw, I believe the crew would only be present when the ship was in your port, much like how the Missouri is with the Steven Seabird thingy where he walks around on the deck and makes an annoyance of himself. And so far, that hasn't increased the game's rating at all. o3o

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,802 posts
15,249 battles
Just now, Kitsunelegend said:

Well, from the little snipit I saw, I believe the crew would only be present when the ship was in your port, much like how the Missouri is with the Steven Seabird thingy where he walks around on the deck and makes an annoyance of himself. And so far, that hasn't increased the game's rating at all. o3o

Yeah, it must be in-game then; I remember reading a post where someone commented on just that point. The only animated guy I like is torpedo guy; day in and day out he's there, taking care of whatever it is he takes care of. Steven Seagal just looks dorky when he dances, sadly humorous.

[ERN]
Members
605 posts
8,301 battles
18 hours ago, TTK_Aegis said:

I'd be happy with a truly free roaming camera in port. There's a lot of little detail on the ships that you can't really get a good look at from any normally available angle. 

I would like see my ships/ports in every detail... How do you get one of those? Can it be used on MACs?

[NERO]
Members
3,542 posts
Just now, XXRed_DawnXX said:

I would like see my ships/ports in every detail... How do you get one of those? Can it be used on MACs?

I've heard there was (or maybe still is?) a mod that will let the camera roam freely around port but I haven't tried it. 

I've also heard that most of the stuff in port isn't modeled to be viewed from every angle so going behind stuff like buildings usually shows that there isn't anything "behind" most of the objects.