You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
gonowgetdown

Why does Flamu keep commenting on the Yamato's accuracy?

23 comments in this topic

[PRSR-]
Members
177 posts
6,243 battles

From everything I can tell, the unequivocal most accurate tier 10 bb in the game is clearly the Montana. You can do artwork with its guns, even when an opponent is angled. 

Nonetheless, Flamu keeps talking about the sigma rating of the Yamato. Having used both (the Montana extensively, specifically because of its accuracy), I just don't see the fuss about the Yamato. I actually find it rather inaccurate for having 3 less rounds in the air.

What is the sigma rating? What is your thoughts on this?

[HINON]
Supertester
7,523 posts
7,578 battles

2.1 on Yammy. She has the best sigma. Montana has to take special upgrades that aren’t available to Yamato to even be as accurate as her.

Edited by renegadestatuz
  • Cool 2

[B2P]
[B2P]
Members
281 posts
7,585 battles

Because the Yamato often sees dispersion like this:

Sigma is the chance the shells have to go away of the center of your crosshair, the higher the lest chance to dispers away.

[-K-]
Beta Testers
2,440 posts
8,653 battles

Part of it is that vertical dispersion isn't included as a stat in game. USN ships generally have a better vertical dispersion than IJN ships. Montana also can take an accuracy upgrade to its dispersion, and it gets three more shells in a broadside for three more chances to go to at least the same zip code of where you aimed.

[NERO]
Members
3,542 posts
2 minutes ago, Jorge_Beaven said:

Because the Yamato often sees dispersion like this:

Sigma is the chance the shells have to go away of the center of your crosshair, the higher the lest chance to dispers away.

God I love it when that happens... 

Alpha Tester
2,208 posts
7,240 battles

Because his and other whinefests got the conqueror nerfed prematurely so after conqueror the next most complained about BB is the Yamato.

[-DPF-]
Members
769 posts
8,215 battles

Key point here is that the odds of some hit are higher with Montana due to more shells spread (on average) over a larger area.  What you tend not to see with Montana is the large number of shells all hitting exactly where you aimed.  It is rare to see more than 4-6 hits from a salvo, and Yamato often sees 4-6 hits from its much smaller salvo (i.e. - a much higher average hit rate caused by the better dispersion and sigma values).

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
14,455 posts
10,459 battles
4 minutes ago, EmperorMaxwell said:

Because his and other whinefests got the conqueror nerfed prematurely so after conqueror the next most complained about BB is the Yamato.

other than overmatch and 55% TDS, Yamato isn't all that strong.

• Cool 1

[NDA]
Supertester
4,841 posts
13,808 battles

One a side note, Did You all see Flamu's recent Iowa video? He gets a Triple Citadel deletion on a cruiser with only the rear turret. The dispersion on those three shells was a thing of beauty.   

The closest to something like that I've ever gotten was a double citadel and one pen from the rear turret of my Scharnhorst on a Myoko. 

[SYN]
Members
14,455 posts
10,459 battles
Just now, RedSeaBear said:

One a side note, Did You all see Flamu's recent Iowa video? He gets a Triple Citadel deletion on a cruiser with only the rear turret. The dispersion on those three shells was a thing of beauty.   

The closest to something like that I've ever gotten was a double citadel and one pen from the rear turret of my Scharnhorst on a Myoko. 

I've one shotted a full HP HIV with GK's guns... anything is possible

[OO7]
Alpha Tester
6,735 posts
3,490 battles

If you max out USN Cruiser dispersion on the Pensacola you'll get shots that look like all 10 shells are perfect lasers.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
3,856 posts
4,224 battles
46 minutes ago, EmperorMaxwell said:

Slow down, and don't be vindictive.

Conqueror is overpowered, as the analysis from the Devs shows, it's overpowered in terms of its survivability.

From experience, I can tell you the #1 reason that Conq is so frustrating to fight against is that you can't punish it for its mistakes while it punishes you for existing. Why? It has a practically non-existent citadel.

I was fine with the Superheal. I was fine with the concealment, to be honest. Neither of these things break Conqueror's balance. It was the idiotic decision on-part of the developers to giver her an inaccessible citadel that has broken Tier 10 Balance, and, until that is resolved, Conqueror will either remain OP, or it will have to be gimped so much that it is unplayable.

• Cool 1

Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles

LWM and other CCs did some work on sigma values a few months back.

Pretty extensive testing.

Graphs, pics, spreadsheets, etc

EDIT: I think iChase and Lert were a part of it.

Edited by Wulfgarn

[CAST]
Members
1,202 posts
7,381 battles

More shells in a given dispersion pattern gives a better chance of hitting a target within that dispersion area, and you don't need to aim as accurately to do it.  A higher sigma value gives you more shots towards the center of the dispersion pattern but you need to have a better aim to make sure they are on target.  So, average players will generally have better success with a high dispersion, low sigma ship because they will land more shots on target, but the number of shells per shot will generally be less.  A good player will have much better success with a high sigma value, because their accurate aim will result in multiple shells landing on the target and doing an immense amount of single shot damage.

• Cool 1

[HELLS]
Members
1,702 posts
15,518 battles

One shotted a full-health Scharnhorst in Iowa on my very first game in her in Random. Only the one hit. Detonation award for the Scharn driver. i have never been able to repeat this either, alas...RNG can be most unkind...even with a goat sacrifice....

Edited by GrandAdmiral_2016

[O7]
Supertester, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
10,725 posts
7,705 battles

People will disagree over the accuracy, one thing to note is that the Yamato can take ROF and accuracy mods and the Montana cant. The ship is also less forgiving of bad aim because if the shot is slightly poorly placed the shells will hit where they are aimed not the target. 

However I think the main reason Flamu likes the Yamato accuracy is because of this:

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,094 posts
14,503 battles

Yamato is very dangerous at range.  When playing a Cruiser, I hate Yamato and Montana taking potshots at me even at long range.  Because there are some very good players that will connect at long range with those monsters.  If they can connect, those 460s will make a very, very bad day for you.

8Io7UOw.jpg

CuCW1zk.jpg

Target was roughly over 24km when I fired the salvo.  Not saying you're going to do this all the time at this kind of range, but it lets you get an idea of what this ship can do, especially in the more practical engagement ranges.

The entire selling point of Yamato is for the 460s.  It's not the armor, there's critical weaknesses in her citadel protection at certain angles!  Not the secondaries.  Definitely not the AA.  Not for handling.  Her turret traverse is the worst of all the Tier X BBs.  The 460s are the only thing that keep this boat relevant.

30 minutes ago, 1nv4d3rZ1m said:

People will disagree over the accuracy, one thing to note is that the Yamato can take ROF and accuracy mods and the Montana cant. The ship is also less forgiving of bad aim because if the shot is slightly poorly placed the shells will hit where they are aimed not the target. 

However I think the main reason Flamu likes the Yamato accuracy is because of this:

Right on.  For Montana to improve her main battery, it has to come from the same Slot 3 upgrade slot.

MBM3 - main battery reload buff

APRM2 - main battery dispersion buff

It's one or the other, the Tier IX+ USN BB cannot have both.

Yamato can give up AAGM2, SBM2 in Slot 2 and equip ASM1 to improve her main battery dispersion to some scary levels.  Then for Slot 3, equip MBM3 to improve the reload.  Toss in Expert Marksman to help with the turret traverse problem (only a little), and Adrenaline Rush and she is a terrifying prospect if the player is a good shot and preserves this ship and survives.

Few things in this game are as satisfying as watching a tight Yamato salvo on it sway at long range and you know it's going to bag a lot of hits.

Another nice benefit of Yamato is the very threat of said guns makes people do funny things.  They don't want to be anywhere near you.  For lighter ships of your team, that is a nice thing as it makes Cruisers and even Battleships wary about closing range.  The closer you are, the easier Yamato will hit.  If Yamato can hit you, then the chances of bad things happening to you are even greater.  FFS, you can bow on citadel Montana!

Do you want to get 1-shotted?  No.

Do you want to see most your HP ripped away?  No.

Do you like the prospect of getting citadeled in your BB even if bow on?  No.

Then you don't want to let Yamato take pot shots at you.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[DRACS]
Members
3,504 posts

Yamato not only has a 2.1 sigma (which affects vertical dispersion too btw), it also has great shell velocity because of the sheer weight behind those shells. No other battleship is as scary a long range sniper like this one, and no other battleship in the game is as good at one shotting other battleships as her because of that accuracy and shell penetration. At long range, with line of sight, you better have maaad dodging skills if you don't want to get flattened by her.

She makes up for it by being the only tier 10 BB with a raised (sloped) citadel, miserable turret traverse, and really poor AA.

[INTEL]
Members
8,584 posts
25,696 battles
58 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Yamato is very dangerous at range.  When playing a Cruiser, I hate Yamato and Montana taking potshots at me even at long range.  Because there are some very good players that will connect at long range with those monsters.  If they can connect, those 460s will make a very, very bad day for you.

Yes, I've found I can reliably get hits all the way out to 27 kms with Monty. The other day a Conk driver and myself put down an Essex, I had multiple hit salvos at 26.5 kms. Even more shocking to me are the number of cruiser drivers who drive straight and true at 22+ kms. That Monty dispersion is a thing of beauty...

[HINON]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,258 posts
2,029 battles
3 hours ago, Madwolf05 said:

If you max out USN Cruiser dispersion on the Pensacola you'll get shots that look like all 10 shells are perfect lasers.

mmm.... :cap_win:

Pensacola gets a bad rap, but her firepower is just fantastic. The 8"/55 are currently my favorite cruiser guns in the game. Well, at least with the AP. The HE just annoys me (823mps MV why?)... Screw burning German BBs, they're damage piñata's to AP!

Members
544 posts
2,951 battles
2 hours ago, KaptainKaybe said:

Yamato not only has a 2.1 sigma (which affects vertical dispersion too btw), it also has great shell velocity because of the sheer weight behind those shells. No other battleship is as scary a long range sniper like this one, and no other battleship in the game is as good at one shotting other battleships as her because of that accuracy and shell penetration. At long range, with line of sight, you better have maaad dodging skills if you don't want to get flattened by her.

She makes up for it by being the only tier 10 BB with a raised (sloped) citadel, miserable turret traverse, and really poor AA.

The US 16" guns also hold their velocity very well, but not until the Iowa do they get a 760m/s gun. Prior to this is 700m/s so the shells feel floaty. Also shell penetration is closer than you might think.

Iowa/Montana

~875mm @ 0

~650mm @ 10km

~440mm @ 20km

Yamato

~925mm @ 0

~700mm @ 10km

~500mm @ 20km

Yamato does have the tightest horizontal dispersion of the T10 BB though (Montana can get damn close with the module) and the best Sigma. I wouldn't trade away 3 guns for it though which is why Montana is still better for shear weight of firepower.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,094 posts
14,503 battles
4 minutes ago, ksix said:

The US 16" guns also hold their velocity very well, but not until the Iowa do they get a 760m/s gun. Prior to this is 700m/s so the shells feel floaty. Also shell penetration is closer than you might think.

Iowa/Montana

~875mm @ 0

~650mm @ 10km

~440mm @ 20km

Yamato

~925mm @ 0

~700mm @ 10km

~500mm @ 20km

Yamato does have the tightest horizontal dispersion of the T10 BB though (Montana can get damn close with the module) and the best Sigma. I wouldn't trade away 3 guns for it though which is why Montana is still better for shear weight of firepower.

That's why as a Cruiser player, I put 16"/50 shells on the same threat level as the Yamato 460 AP.  The 16"/50 rifles do tricks at range that only Yamato surpasses.  GK needs a lot of luck.  Conqueror can be good at range also, but that HE does not land 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 citadel hits on a Cruiser like the 16"/50 AP does.  The scary part for the Cruiser is Montana has 12 rifles.

The USN 16"/45 rifles on NC & Alabama take some real getting used to when firing at range.  Even then, you depend on your target being stupid at range.  The 16"50 shells hold up well at range.  If the 16"/45 do hit, they're great, but that's a big "if."