You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Aisareta

Why do some ppl know which country I come from?

14 comments in this topic

[BRAWL]
Members
1 post

Hi all,

Sometimes Iam confused as some ppl knows others' personal info like, where you come from, etc.

:cap_tea:

Does WOWS provide such personal info publicly?

Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles

Not that I'm aware.

The only thing peeps can see are your stats through WG, and 3rd party sites.

I don't believe it shows where you live, but idk. I've never heard of it at least.

Edited by Wulfgarn

[YAN]
Members
1,640 posts
7,466 battles

Not unless you specify it to say, these circumstances are probably just coindental or division mates who know them outside of the game etc.

If you do feel your privacy is being compromised in any way, you could send in a support ticket with a replay of the battle.

[FOXEH]
Members
3,351 posts
12,122 battles

Could be a guess based on your profile name. It's Japanese I think.

[SF-E]
Members
354 posts
9,789 battles

It all depends on how much information you are sharing. For example, my friend @Khafni is from the Indianapolis area. (as stated in his profile).

[WOLF5]
Members
1,538 posts
2,130 battles

Only what you tell us or the game. I freely state that I'm in Southern Michigan, because you'd have to really be good to use that against me. I don't hide my stats, so everyone can see everything about how I play the game. But, that's about it, other than I'm originally from Texas, which is pretty obvious if you look at my avatar, and I'm employed in the sciences, as could be seen from what I've posted.

Hints that people can use. Name, that can say a lot. Like I saw someone yesterday with the name flippasefloppase. That probably doesn't mean anything to you, but I know that those are actually two enzymes used in membrane transport in cells (google it if you want the details, it's pretty neat). That's biochemistry, so I asked him if he was a biochemist, and he said med student. I got his profession from his name. Also, if someone is in chat in a specific language, or using unique terms, you can often guess where they're from. Or even the language. Someone starts spewing spanish in chat, chances they're not from the US or Canada. Things like that. Also, people often come here and make claims about ships, forgetting we can see everything they do in WOWS.

My guess is, from your name, that you're one the people who lives in Asia, but prefers to play on the NA server for whatever reason. Your name, and maybe the way you talk in chat might give away the fact you're from Asia (native english speakers pick up very fast on tiny slips non-native speakers make), which most people guess Japan (based on the anime fascination a certain segment of our player base has). I don't know if I'm right, but that's the logic people follow. Don't worry, Japan (or whatever country) is a big place, it's not like we know your GPS coordinates.

• Cool 2

Members
821 posts
3,891 battles
1 hour ago, Aisareta said:

Hi all,

Sometimes Iam confused as some ppl knows others' personal info like, where you come from, etc.

:cap_tea:

Does WOWS provide such personal info publicly?

Your method of speaking (usage of) English is a giveaway that you are not a native speaker.  You used "why" instead of "how" in the topic title for example.

Even if English was your native tongue, a lot can be inferred from expressions and spellings as to what English speaking country  a person might be from , usage of Oxford English is a biggie.  examples-  armour instead of armor, aluminum/aluminium, potato/potatoe .

Also  besides names and English spellings, often the slang or terms used can give away a lot. Using some word like flat, or shillelagh, or ain't, or panzer,  would definitely point toward, English, Irish, Southern USA, and German,  respectively.  Though panzer even in English often only means a German tank.  We used panzer a good bit for our American tanks when we when in Germany. So it is possible to sometimes know from that info, a person who uses panzer and is American might have been a Cold War soldier. All this falls under deductive reasoning often used in interrogation and investigative techniques as well. You can learn a lot by what a person says as to their origin, profession, age, life , experience , etc. if you look into it, even if that person never says anything about such info.  . 

English , gets really specific when you hear a person speak. The accent, slang, and dialects , can be used to know, down to  what town someone is from sometimes. And even what side of a town someone is from. For exampl , English(people from England) it is easy to tell a London accent from, Liverpool, from Manchester , etc , once you hear a few people from those respective areas.

And of course as mentioned ,in your case, your selected name is a hint of being Asian to Middle Eastern of some sort. 

Edited by Strachwitz666

[PVE]
Members
9,620 posts
7,466 battles
7 minutes ago, Strachwitz666 said:

Your method of speaking (usage of) English is a giveaway that you are not a native speaker.  You used "why" instead of "how" in the topic title for example.

Even if English was your native tongue, a lot can be inferred from expressions and spellings as to what English speaking country  a person might be from , usage of Oxford English is a biggie.  examples-  armour instead of armor, aluminum/aluminium, potato/potatoe .

And in your case your selected name is a hint of being Asian to Middle Eastern of some sort. 

Also  besides names and English usage, often the slang or terms used can give away a lot. Using some word like 'flat" or shillelagh, or ain't, would definitely point toward, English, Irish, and Southern USA respectively.

We are also spreading y´all around further and further north as well. :Smile_teethhappy:

For those not in the southern US, y´all is a contraction of ´you all´. Because ´you´ in English is both the singular and plural, if you are talking to a group of people and want to address something to one person, ´you´ is proper for both the group and the single person. But if you use ´you´ for singular and ´y´all´ for plural, then everyone knows what you are talking about.  Y´all is pronounced ´yall´.

I usually really mess people up who try to tell where I am from my accent as I was born in Germany while my Dad was in the US Army. Lived in Oklahoma and South Carolina from 2-4. Lived in Germany from 4-7. Lived in the US until I joined the Army and I went to Germany for 2.5 years. Since I was exposed to accents from all over in my childhood, both in living in various places and from friends who were from other places, my mixed and mashed up accent is a combo of lots of places.

• Cool 1

[PSP]
Members
6,245 posts
8,881 battles

People give out a lot of personal information in forums without realizing it. Over time, you can build up quite a dossier on someone of you pay attention to what they say. Once, on another gaming forum and in a time period when it wasn't well moderated, there was a kid who was causing all sorts of problems with his trolling and flaming. I told him that he'd best be careful as prospective employers were likely to read his posts and not hire him. He said that nobody, not even the FBI, could track him down. Based on what I knew from his posts, it took me less than five minutes to find his name and address using only Google. I PM'd him with the info and he never trolled or flamed again.  

• Cool 1

[PSP]
Members
6,245 posts
8,881 battles
1 hour ago, Kizarvexis said:

For those not in the southern US, y´all is a contraction of ´you all´. Because ´you´ in English is both the singular and plural, if you are talking to a group of people and want to address something to one person, ´you´ is proper for both the group and the single person. But if you use ´you´ for singular and ´y´all´ for plural, then everyone knows what you are talking about.  Y´all is pronounced ´yall´.

Out on the West Coast people always said that I had a southern accent. I suppose being stationed in Texas for a year and Louisiana for three years may have had something to do with it. Or, considering that I grew up only 40 miles from Texas, that might have had something to do with it too.  

[PVE]
Members
9,620 posts
7,466 battles
1 hour ago, Snargfargle said:

Out on the West Coast people always said that I had a southern accent. I suppose being stationed in Texas for a year and Louisiana for three years may have had something to do with it. Or, considering that I grew up only 40 miles from Texas, that might have had something to do with it too.  

Oh yeah. That would do it. :Smile_Default:

[SYN]
Members
549 posts
6,157 battles
19 hours ago, Kizarvexis said:

In some areas, "y'all" is the singular and "all y'all" is the plural. 

It seems that we are truly separated by a common language. 

[PVE]
Members
9,620 posts
7,466 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Pulver_2016 said:

In some areas, "y'all" is the singular and "all y'all" is the plural. 

It seems that we are truly separated by a common language. 

:Smile_teethhappy: