You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
my13

Is there another video player will play replays?

10 comments in this topic

Members
32 posts
10,874 battles

Is there another video player that will play replays so I dont have to load the whole game to replay?

Also, is there a way to replay without closing the game then have the replay open it when it starts, then having the game close and reopen it again to continue playing?

[PROJX]
Members
969 posts
15,721 battles

The replay system in WOWS is not a media file (e.g. .mpg, .avi, .mov, etc) - it is instead a recording of all the client side information that was "played" or sent to the server in your recorded game.  This is the reason you have to close your game when you run the replay, because the replay system basically plays back all your client-server messages to the server when you run your replay (i.e. to the WG server, it looks like you're playing the game).

This is also why the replay system is tied to a major/minor release and the replays stop working when WG issues a new upgrade patch (i.e. a replay captured for a earlier version stops working).   The captured replay data relies on information for a particular client version when playing back the captured client-server messages to faithfully reproduce your game in conjunction w/ the server.

If you want to watch your replay in a video format, you need to capture your replay or game in a video capture system such as Bandicam or, sometimes, your graphics card may contain as part of it's provided software some simple video capture software.

Edited by hangglide42

Members
2,499 posts
5,479 battles

The WOW Replay is nothing but a set of commands and coordinates that the WOW program resident on your PC runs. You are not required to be connected to the internet to play a WOW Replay.  The 'CONNECT' splash screen is just a screen - a non-functional one at that.    AS always your replays can only be run on the version(s) close to the version number of which it was created.  New version will orphan previous replays UNLESS you

saved the total game files of the version in which it ran before. 

Members
2,614 posts
3,569 battles

Hang glide covered it really well.... I couldn't add anything to the reasons why you have to play replay files in a game client if I tried.

What I can add though, is, there are plenty of free, high quality, video capture programs out there.

If you have an Invidia gfx card, you can use their software "shadowplay" for free.

My favorite though, is Plays.tv. While it has very limited in client editing options (you still can build highlight reals though) and you still have to close the game client to view the video you just recorded. It has its own upload service, so you do not have to have a YouTube account to upload and share videos. It runs in the background with very little tax on our system.

[PVE]
Members
9,620 posts
7,466 battles

I have found XSplit Broadcaster to work well. The free version is robust and I believe you can stream with the free version as well. You can upgrade to get more features of course.

[MIA-I]
Supertester
2,726 posts
4,737 battles

Only way to view the replay file is to use the game client.  If you want to watch the file afterwards though, you'll need to record it somehow with some form of software recommended by others in the thread (I personally use Shadowplay) save it as a video file through that, then you'll be able to watch i t through your media player of choice.  But again, you'll need to record it through the client first

Members
32 posts
10,874 battles

your replies answer another question for me, I was wondering why the file sizes for the replays were so small, usually video files are much larger. the recorders you use, how efficient are they file size wise?

Members
32 posts
10,874 battles

also, I probably wont video record all battles, just ones I would like to keep. can your recommended video recorders record the wow replays so I can just pick the replays I want to record more permanently?

[SWOB]
Members
2,707 posts
15,744 battles
1 hour ago, my13 said:

can your recommended video recorders record the wow replays so I can just pick the replays I want to record more permanently?

What?

You have to actually play the replay so you can record it, so I'm assuming you have picked a replay you want to record.

In that sense, the answer would be "yes".

Edited by sbcptnitro

Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles

I use ShadowPlay for my GeForce GPU.

If I want to keep a specific recording, I'll play the WOWS replay, and record it while I watch.