Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
polarman

Iowa upgrades

8 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
147 posts
4,802 battles

Last night I managed to unlock and purchase the Iowa. I have not played with her yet but wondering what the best upgrades are for her? Better to go for gun range and repairs or is another upgrade path better?

Alpha Tester
1,072 posts
4,514 battles

Go for the hulls as they drastically improve your survivability, then engine. Range can be researched last as you already have good range and the extra 2km doesn't make much of a difference (shooting at 20km+ is not really the best use of your time.)

• Cool 2

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,933 posts
10,733 battles

100% the Hulls 1st and BOTH of them asap. Use Free XP if you can. 

In addition to more HP and better AA they help the biggest weakness on the ship = rudder shift. Stock the Iowa has a glacial 25.6 sec rudder shift. Think about it a minute, that is almost as long as the main gun reload at 30 seconds. So, get the B then C hull 1st and also use Steering Gears Mod 2. This will bring that horrible rudder shift down to a livable 15.6 seconds.

Iowa is very long and has a horrendous 920m turning radius as well so plan your turns well in advance and keep an ever watchful eye out for torps as dodging them in Iowa is a chore. Montana is even longer with a bigger turning radius (950m) and slower rudder (17.8 w/ SGM2) so Iowa prepares you for that.

Iowa is a great ship though. The AA is fantastic and the main guns are sweet. That 33 knots is great for getting out of a bad situation (if you can get turned that is without getting lolpened) or for repositioning to an area of need on the map. It is pretty tough too as long as you don't take one full broadside and then it can eat citadels pretty good (especially under front turrets - seems to be the weakest spot).

Loved mine and kept it. Montana is even better.

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Cool 1

Beta Testers
302 posts
2,098 battles

I have only 2 game sin the Iowa and loving it so far, but I noticed the third hull adds nothign and takes 2 AA mounts...am I missing something? I thought it was just a grinder so I took the first hull I could unlock and now I was waiting to have XP for the engine.

Why the second one is so important? The rudder?

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,933 posts
10,733 battles
7 hours ago, bokepacha said:

I have only 2 game sin the Iowa and loving it so far, but I noticed the third hull adds nothign and takes 2 AA mounts...am I missing something? I thought it was just a grinder so I took the first hull I could unlock and now I was waiting to have XP for the engine.

Why the second one is so important? The rudder?

Hull C improves the rudder shift which is HUGE. Also, while you lose some AA mounts with Hull C vs Hull B the DPS for the guns goes up so overall AA improves. I believe it is a 16 gun net loss not 2 btw (77 w/ B and 61 w C).

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
302 posts
2,098 battles
11 hours ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Hull C improves the rudder shift which is HUGE. Also, while you lose some AA mounts with Hull C vs Hull B the DPS for the guns goes up so overall AA improves. I believe it is a 16 gun net loss not 2 btw (77 w/ B and 61 w C).

yeah I was checking yesterday night at home. You lose 16 AA mounts. I checked the rudder and it shows 15.6s yes but dunno if it takes into account your current mods. I have the rudder mod installed but I never previewed the next hull and checked the stats so I will have to know once I unlock the C hull.
About what you say from the AA DPS improving, I didn't check it in the stats, I'll take a look tonight. Thanks.

So far I had like 6 games in the Iowa (not playing premium so I have to play a bit conservative atm) but the feeling is waaaay better than NC. I didn't feel comfortable with the NC and it was the only US BB that made me feel like that since the SC. Iowa is like a breath of fresh air again. It's accurate, it's tough and fast (even before upgrades). Yesterday I had 2DDs, 2BBs and 2 cruisers chasing me for 10 minutes while my team was winning the game. They killed me but I managed to apply 100k damage and kill a few of them in the process. It was fun.

Sign in to follow this