Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
USSRichardNixon

Tactics for KGV?

13 comments in this topic

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,166 posts
14,583 battles

I found the guns to be a highlight, TBH.

I do think however is the style of play is sharply different from what you experienced before in the RN BB Line.

TLDR:  Basically play as an oversized Cruiser.

Use speed, concealment, maneuverability to dictate the fight and fight at ranges advantageous to you... At range

Analyze KGV's armor.  Your citadel is below waterline, you have a thick armor belt.  But the rest of the ship is poorly protected.  KGV eats penetrations, so angling, maintaining distance is key.  IMO, your biggest threats are accurate shooting Cruisers, not Battleships.  BBs don't have the precision to punish KGV at range reliably.  Cruisers do, and with the poor plating that KGV has all over, they will hit, and they will get lots of pens on you.  Spammy IFHE 152mm Cruisers for instance will be devastating.  In addition, you do not have the Mega Repair Party later RN BBs have.  Be careful!

Range is your friend, use speed to maintain it.

You are also not a brawler, despite that below waterline citadel.  Your secondaries are underwhelming, you have lots of poor armor outside of your belt.  You will eat a lot of penetrations.  You do not knife fight with Scharnhorst, Gneisenau, use your speed to keep distance and draw any pursuit out.

Wear out BBs slowly with consistent HE & Fire damage.  Your AP sucks but give it a chance if a Cruiser begs for it.  Spamming HE against a Cruiser nets reliable damage, but it also prevents that chance for massive damage as you would AP.   You can sometimes citadel certain Cruisers with HE, but it's unreliable.

Your AA absolutely sucks.  You are at Tier VII and at a tier where you can see some very powerful CVs at Tier VII-IX.  Get isolated in a CV match and you are open to get nuked.  I'm not sure if CVs have gotten the gouge that RN BB AA capability sucks balls, but if one has figured it out, KGV is ripe for CV nuking.  Don't sail solo.

Lastly:  SURVIVE.  Where KGV really, really shines is surviving and lasting into the late match.  Why?

Because KGV is an oversized Cruiser.

Unlike a Cruiser, KGV has armor, repair party, below waterline citadel, etc.  She can last, unlike a Cruiser.

KGV's excellent HE shells and Fire chance is the killer late match.  When other ships are at 1/2 or lower HP, 1 or 0 Repair Party left... That is the environment that KGV cleans up the match.  **IF** you can survive.  KGV late game is annoying.  It's that CA that you can't citadel and put an end to right away.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 2

[NATO]
Beta Testers
1,775 posts
5,809 battles

KGV is the Jekyll and Hyde of the UK BB line.

Cruisers will eat you up quickly. This is a camping ship, if you play mid to high tier KM ships (I love that style of play) this is played exactly the opposite.

Haze's advice is sound. Stay at the back of the pack and flame away.

[RKLES]
Members
7,215 posts
9,006 battles
27 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

You are also not a brawler, despite that below waterline citadel.  Your secondaries are underwhelming, you have lots of poor armor outside of your belt.  You will eat a lot of penetrations.  You do not knife fight with Scharnhorst, Gneisenau, use your speed to keep distance and draw any pursuit out.

Don't sail solo.

Lol getting too close to Torpedo Armed Battleships that also have decent or good secondary guns is typically bad idea no matter what ship you are sailing.

:Smile_Default:

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
5,079 posts
6,806 battles

what you do with the RN BBs nearly all the time, burn everything, except when they show you broadside, then you give them the good old British glove slap with your AP

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,815 posts
10,360 battles
1 hour ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Pretty much this. Stay at range, spam HE, switch targets to spread the fire, if concentrated on go-dark and disengage until things are quieter.

Like with cruisers AP is for broadside cruisers and broadside battleships at moderate to close range.

Your armor scheme is such that getting broadsided may not be much different from getting bow-on hit by 15in+ that is unless you can belt-tank very proficiently. Therefore taking some risks to maneuver hard to reduce the number of shots hitting may be a worthwhile tactic, depending on the range and situation.

[OPG]
[OPG]
Beta Testers
1,451 posts
10,329 battles
1 hour ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

I found the guns to be a highlight, TBH.

I do think however is the style of play is sharply different from what you experienced before in the RN BB Line.

Use speed, concealment, maneuverability to dictate the fight and fight at ranges advantageous to you... At range

Analyze KGV's armor.  Your citadel is below waterline, you have a thick armor belt.  But the rest of the ship is poorly protected.  KGV eats penetrations, so angling, maintaining distance is key.  IMO, your biggest threats are accurate shooting Cruisers, not Battleships.  BBs don't have the precision to punish KGV at range reliably.  Cruisers do, and with the poor plating that KGV has all over, they will hit, and they will get lots of pens on you.  Spammy IFHE 152mm Cruisers for instance will be devastating.  In addition, you do not have the Mega Repair Party later RN BBs have.  Be careful!

Range is your friend, use speed to maintain it.

Wear out BBs slowly with consistent HE & Fire damage.  Your AP sucks but give it a chance if a Cruiser begs for it.  Spamming HE against a Cruiser nets reliable damage, but it also prevents that chance for massive damage as you would AP.   You can sometimes citadel certain Cruisers with HE, but it's unreliable.

Your AA absolutely sucks.  You are at Tier VII and at a tier where you can see some very powerful CVs at Tier VII-IX.  Get isolated in a CV match and you are open to get nuked.  I'm not sure if CVs have gotten the gouge that RN BB AA capability sucks balls, but if one has figured it out, KGV is ripe for CV nuking.  Don't sail solo.

Lastly:  SURVIVE.  Where KGV really, really shines is surviving and lasting into the late match.  Why?

Because KGV is an oversized Cruiser.

Unlike a Cruiser, KGV has armor, repair party, below waterline citadel, etc.  She can last, unlike a Cruiser.

KGV's excellent HE shells and Fire chance is the killer late match.  When other ships are at 1/2 or lower HP, 1 or 0 Repair Party left... That is the environment that KGV cleans up the match.  **IF** you can survive.  KGV late game is annoying.  It's that CA that you can't citadel and put an end to right away.

As a fellow KGV-lover, the above is excellent advice! +1

Members
650 posts
1,632 battles
1 hour ago, USSRichardNixon said:

It seems that Fire Prevention is recommended, right?

I found its guns are very inaccurate. 

Is burning from remote the main style of play?

Then this is on you. All British BB's are highly accurate. 

[INTEL]
Members
8,594 posts
25,738 battles

God advice, Haze. I hated KGV. I'd go back and take another crack at it, but I have too many botes I like at T7 anyway....

[MIA-A]
[MIA-A]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,052 posts
7,794 battles

KGV wrecks cruisers and battleships alike, it does have the armour to brawl too but tier 8 battleships you have no hope of penetrating with AP. The high accuracy AP is lethal against cruisers, feels like it very rarely gets overpenetrations unless you hit the superstructure. As long as you use the armour and shell type correctly this ship is kind of broken and can take on pretty much anything in its tier. 

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,815 posts
10,360 battles
30 minutes ago, Middcore said:

Then this is on you. All British BB's are highly accurate. 

Not so much, 1.8 sigma is a step back from QE, you're engaging at somewhat longer range too. RN BB's horizontal dispersion is only in line with the USN.

Overall it's not abysmal, but I wouldn't call it 'highly accurate' - especially as Colorado and Nagato get 2.0 sigma at T7.

Sign in to follow this