Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
db4100

Another Submarine Request Post

59 comments in this topic

[LWA]
Members
625 posts
8,914 battles

You would think that with things like the Maus tank, A-150 Super Yamato, the larger H class battleships, and I-400 class submarines, crazy weaponry boarding on the impractical was a specialty of Germany and Japan. However, the United States would occasionally jump in on the fun.

Check out this 1920 Design for a large armored cruiser submarine.

This 13,500 ton submarine carried eight 8" guns in four twin turrets, eight torpedo tubes, and an aircraft hangar.

Not only was it intended to be armored to withstand light surface warships, it was capable of traveling at 15 knots. Submerged speed isn't listed, but I imagine it was nearly nonexistent.

Spoiler

cruiser submarine.jpg

Hey, it was on paper as designed, and WG has created ships with less.

Edited by db4100

[HINON]
WoWS Wiki Editor
6,246 posts
3,106 battles

inb4 "NO SUBS!"

• Cool 2

Members
248 posts
2,507 battles

I sometimes wonder if we need a new "Sub Clock" at this point.

• Cool 2

[LWA]
Members
625 posts
8,914 battles

yeah, but this would be easy to implement.  to have it submerge, just have it disappear instead like the DDs do currently.  They just can't shoot their 8" guns or launch aircraft while invisible (submerged).

[ARMDA]
Members
8,993 posts
3,556 battles

Did someone say no subs?

I heard no subs (although the idea of that sub is a cool one).

[HINON]
Modder, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles

I still want Surcouf. :Smile_hiding:

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Members
9,013 posts
Just now, Doomlock said:

I still want Surcouf. :Smile_hiding:

I wonder if they would give it speedboost like the baguette cruisers.

Members
248 posts
2,507 battles

All this talk of subs is making me kinda hungry.....

I wonder whats for dinner?

Maybe its a sub sandwich....

[LWA]
Members
625 posts
8,914 battles
7 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

9WyuIZp.gif

I beg the differ....a sub doing 15 knots, equipped with eight 8" guns, and a squadron of attack aircraft would not look like this.

[HINON]
Modder, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles
Just now, db4100 said:

I beg the differ....a sub doing 15 knots, equipped with eight 8" guns, and a squadron of attack aircraft would not look like this.

Yeah, it would be Langley, but with better secondaries.

• Cool 2

[ANTK]
Members
1,719 posts
3,130 battles

As said in the quote, it had a top speed of 15kts making it the slowest ship in game and thats not even counting her submerged speed.

[SIDE]
Members
730 posts
3,263 battles
3 minutes ago, devastator5000 said:

As said in the quote, it had a top speed of 15kts making it the slowest ship in game and thats not even counting her submerged speed.

They could always nudge the numbers.. you know like how they have a fully armored and armed khaba going 43 knts. 

[HINON]
Supertester
19,196 posts
12,716 battles
5 minutes ago, Merlox said:

They could always nudge the numbers.. you know like how they have a fully armored and armed khaba going 43 knts. 

So basically, the only way we're going to have a sub (not 'subs', but a, singular, submarine) is if they buff it way out of proportions and make it a mockery of it's original intent and design?

No.

Just - ... No.

Can't you guys get it through your thick skulls that submarines do not belong in this game.

• Cool 2

[SIDE]
Members
730 posts
3,263 battles
8 minutes ago, Lert said:

So basically, the only way we're going to have a sub (not 'subs', but a, singular, submarine) is if we buff it way out of proportions and make it a mockery of it's original intent and design?

No.

Just - ... No.

Why not, the whole game is far from realistic. You have some of the largest warship designs that are invisible at 11 km range. Gunnery in this game are already unrealistically accurate. AA can shoot through mountains. Planes can drop torpedoes while just flying off peaks of mountains. A single press of a button a ship can magically put out every fire and repair every flood. 

You get my gist, you can go on and on about how this is an Arcade game like every other WG's products. I am one for just wanting to spice up the already very stale meta.

Edited by Merlox

[ANTK]
Members
1,719 posts
3,130 battles
5 minutes ago, Merlox said:

Why not, the whole game is far from realistic. You have some of the largest warship designs that are invisible at 11 km range. Gunnery in this game are already unrealistically accurate. AA can shoot through mountains. Planes can drop torpedoes while just flying off peaks of mountains. A single press of a button a ship can magically put out every fire and repair every flood. 

You get my gist, you can go on and on about how this is an Arcade game like every other WG's products. I am one for just wanting to spice up the already very stale meta.

But the thing with how WG does ships is that all stats are close to historical proportions, the numbers and minutia are made up which allows for WG to fudge some numbers, but things like Guns, AA mounts, and Speed are mostly absolute so maybe they could give a sub a slight speed buff but nothing near enough to make it competitive. 

[HINON]
Supertester
19,196 posts
12,716 battles
15 minutes ago, Merlox said:

Why not

Because we already have a 'stealthy hunter' type. Because subs wouldn't be fun to play. Because they wouldn't be fun to play against. Because they'd be worthless. Because they'd be superfluous. Because they'd be a mockery on a whole new level.

You're just being a troll and baiting now, your arguments are weak strawmen.

If you don't like this game, go play something else. Submarines wouldn't 'spice up' this game, because they wouldn't do anything that destroyer already do much better. Because good luck going to where you need to go with a - let's be generous - 20 knot ship, at tiers where 35 knot destroyers are doing to same thing, and carry more torpedoes. Explain to me what submarines would bring to the table that destroyers don't already blow them completely out of the water at? Laying ambushes? A destroyer is there quicker and lays more torpedoes. Gunnery? A destroyer does it better. Being stealthy? Destroyers have smoke and can actually shoot and launch out of the smoke while being invisible.

"But radar and hydro counter smoke!"

And you think hydro wouldn't counter submarines? That's it's designed purpose!

Explain to me how submarines would 'spice up' gameplay? Because I'm not seeing it. OooOOoo I can go invisible by diving! And then be relatively stuck in position and unable to do any damage - yeah, good gameplay gimmick, the ability to make an already almost completely useless ship totally and utterly useless!

The only thing a submarine can do that a destroyer can't is cap without being seen or making a target of itself by sitting in a smoke screen. And if you think WG is going to introduce that game mechanic without a direct counter to it, then I've got a statue for sale for you on a small island off the coast of NYC.

Submarines. Are. Useless. For. This. Game.

<Edit> This game is about fleet operations. Fleet vs fleet. Submarines were a very important part of war, but they did not fight in fleet operations - and any historical example you might dig up where a submarine was present during a fleet engagement is the result of circumstance, not design. Submarines were raiders, not fleet combatants. They fought be being sent out in packs or alone, outside of fleet operations, to hunt commerce ships and snack on the incidental surface combatant that might wander into their hunting ground.

• Cool 8

[SYN]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
4,496 battles

w6AmK0H.gif

1 minute ago, Lert said:

Because we already have a 'stealthy hunter' type. Because subs wouldn't be fun to play. Because they wouldn't be fun to play against. Because they'd be worthless. Because they'd be superfluous. Because they'd be a mockery on a whole new level.

If you don't like this game, go play something else. Submarines wouldn't 'spice up' this game, because they wouldn't do anything that destroyer already do much better. Because good luck going to where you need to go with a - let's be generous - 20 knot ship, at tiers where 35 knot destroyers are doing to same thing, and carry more torpedoes. Explain to me what submarines would bring to the table that destroyers don't already blow them completely out of the water at? Laying ambushes? A destroyer is there quicker and lays more torpedoes. Gunnery? A destroyer does it better. Being stealthy? Destroyers have smoke and can actually shoot and launch out of the smoke while being invisible.

Explain to me how submarines would 'spice up' gameplay? Because I'm not seeing it. OooOOoo I can go invisible by diving! And then be relatively stuck in position and unable to do any damage - yeah, good gameplay gimmick, the ability to make an already almost completely useless ship totally and utterly useless!

The only thing a submarine can do that a destroyer can't is cap without being seen or making a target of itself by sitting in a smoke screen. And if you think WG is going to introduce that game mechanic without a direct counter to it, then I've got a statue for sale for you on a small island off the coast of NYC.

[LWA]
Members
625 posts
8,914 battles
1 minute ago, Lert said:

This sub can launch aircraft.....

[HINON]
Supertester
19,196 posts
12,716 battles
5 minutes ago, db4100 said:

This sub can launch aircraft.....

Woop ti freaking do. So it has some additional AA DPS or can extend it's shooting range by a few % for the duration. But it has to be surfaced (And slow and obvious and defenseless) while doing it. Uh-maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazing.

Listen up everyone! It's the perfect ship for this game! It has a plane! It's truly the spiciest of ships to spice up gameplay with, it can launch a plonk! Un-precedented!

• Cool 4

Sign in to follow this