Jump to content

22 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Members
4 posts
18 battles

-Sorry for posting on the wrong topic area again (game forced me to do it here again...for some reason)

 

I will probably (85%) get the game again and I just remembered about the whole kill stealing mechanic in the game. Unlike WarThunder there is no 'Kill Assist' achievement when you attack a vehicle, but someone else actually 'kills' it before you do. In WoW even if you get 90% of the ship's health down and another player gets 10% and actually kills it, he gets the entire 'kill' achievement. I know that you would still get all the damage achievements, but it is still a little bit annoying how there is no 'Kill Assist' implemented into the game.

 

In the end it does make some sense. For example many tank aces during ww2, only the tank commander himself would get all the achievements while the crew which consisted of the driver, loader, gunner, etc wouldn't be recognised by the public. I mean is it even possible to actually find the names of the crew members of Micheal Wittman's tank or even Otto Carius's crew? 

 

-sorry for any mistakes (for some reason I have a tendency to skip words)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,520
[O7]
Members
4,933 posts
8,945 battles

A kill doesn't really mean anything in the game in terms of reward. I would much rather just have the ship be dead, and you should too. Winning the game is all that really matters. 

  • Cool 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
4 posts
18 battles
5 minutes ago, Pulicat said:

A kill doesn't really mean anything in the game in terms of reward. I would much rather just have the ship be dead, and you should too. Winning the game is all that really matters. 

Oh okay. I actually had no idea that Kills don't mean anything. Thanks for the fact :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,378
[HINON]
Members
9,019 posts

It's like whose line is it anyway? Where the points don't matter. Killing reds as soon as possible keeps them from continuing to fire on your team as a 1 hp ship is just as dangerous as a full health one.

Edited by RipNuN2
  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
774
[SF-A]
Members
2,893 posts
5,686 battles

Kills are really a low modifier for XP, and are good for First Blood/Double Strike/Kraken Unleashed. Other than that, maybe a mission or something requires kills, but that's it really.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
829
[FOXEH]
Members
3,353 posts
12,136 battles

An "assured kill", whether stolen or not, is one ship closer to team victory. You get more points for doing 90% of the damage on a ship than getting the kill with only 10% of the damage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
496
[LOU1]
Members
3,033 posts
8,125 battles

You get the main XP from the damage done to the ship.

Also, I have left the final blow to someone that had been working hard on damaging the ship only to see it escape and damage our team.  I will hesitate a few seconds to give someone a chance if we are definitely ahead sometimes, but not too long to not risk leaving a gun platform floating.

Edited by ExploratorOne

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,554
[PSP]
Members
6,254 posts
8,892 battles

There are a few kill-specific rewards. The first kill of the game gets you a "First Blood." If you get two kills within a certain period of time then you get a "Double Strike." Five kills gets you the "Kraken." The rewards for these (besides the award itself) are signal flags so they are not entirely worthless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
448 posts
7,474 battles

 

Kill-stealing isn't really considered a thing here because some(most?) players realize that focus-firing low health ships is actually good and proper play.

 

..

Edited by Dr_Powderfinger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
973
Members
4,547 posts
6,460 battles

What is kill stealing?  Kill em. Don't matter who. Wins matches. Really....what is kill stealing? Do damage and they will die by someone. I don't give a S#it who kills Reds. I like victory.  However it is done. 

 

What is kill stealing?

Edited by dmckay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,793
[SALVO]
Members
17,055 posts
17,693 battles
1 hour ago, The_Tea_Company said:

Oh okay. I actually had no idea that Kills don't mean anything. Thanks for the fact :)

Kills don't mean nothing.  They just don't mean all that much in terms of XP or credits.  In battle, individual kills mean squat.  It's all about how many kills the TEAM produces.

Some people might say that I'm a kill stealer, but I'm really not.  I am simply one who will nearly always make sure that nearby gravely wounded enemy ships get finished off, rather than waiting for anyone else to get the job done.  Oh, on occasion, I will let a team mate finish off the enemy when there are a lot of friendlies nearby and I am certain that someone will get the job done.  But when that's not certain, I do it because getting guns off the map matters for the team's success!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
973
Members
4,547 posts
6,460 battles
34 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Kills don't mean nothing.  They just don't mean all that much in terms of XP or credits.  In battle, individual kills mean squat.  It's all about how many kills the TEAM produces.

Some people might say that I'm a kill stealer, but I'm really not.  I am simply one who will nearly always make sure that nearby gravely wounded enemy ships get finished off, rather than waiting for anyone else to get the job done.  Oh, on occasion, I will let a team mate finish off the enemy when there are a lot of friendlies nearby and I am certain that someone will get the job done.  But when that's not certain, I do it because getting guns off the map matters for the team's success!

Kills are important....very.  That's how ya win but it don't matter who gets them. Often ya see 3 of yours chasing 1 red.  Kill frenzy.  Just takes 2 ships guns outta the fight.  See that all the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
692
[UDEAD]
Beta Testers
1,045 posts
10,451 battles

The only time I will hold a kill shot is if we have the game in the bag, and a division mate is trying to get #5 for a Kraken and he requests the kill.  Any other situation, and I am taking the shot.  It's bad for your gameplay to start setting up mental decision trees as to whether you "deserve" the kill or another player does.  Cluttering your instincts with differing priorities is a good way to build bad habits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,793
[SALVO]
Members
17,055 posts
17,693 battles
15 minutes ago, dmckay said:

Kills are important....very.  That's how ya win but it don't matter who gets them. Often ya see 3 of yours chasing 1 red.  Kill frenzy.  Just takes 2 ships guns outta the fight.  See that all the time.

I've actually won games when there were the last 5 ships on the enemy team chasing after my team's carrier and I was in a DD in a standard battle.  I'd just run for the enemy cap and end up winning because I'd cap out before they could even get back to my team's cap, let alone get back and defend theirs.  This is particularly do-able in the mid tiers where battleships are usually fairly slow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,793
[SALVO]
Members
17,055 posts
17,693 battles
8 minutes ago, BiggieD61 said:

The only time I will hold a kill shot is if we have the game in the bag, and a division mate is trying to get #5 for a Kraken and he requests the kill.  Any other situation, and I am taking the shot.  It's bad for your gameplay to start setting up mental decision trees as to whether you "deserve" the kill or another player does.  Cluttering your instincts with differing priorities is a good way to build bad habits.

I'll hold a kill shot if I think a team mate will get it and I'm in a BB, particularly a top tier BB and think that it's a waste of a volley to get 1k HP or less for the kill when a) I have plenty of nearby team mates willing to get the job done and b) there are other enemies more worthy (i.e. with a lot more HP remaining) of a BB's full volley.  But this is usually a rare situation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
264
[5IN]
Members
1,791 posts
8,133 battles
2 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

There are a few kill-specific rewards. The first kill of the game gets you a "First Blood." If you get two kills within a certain period of time then you get a "Double Strike." Five kills gets you the "Kraken." The rewards for these (besides the award itself) are signal flags so they are not entirely worthless.

I always thought that achievements garnered a little more XP than not getting one.  

 

Example:  you do 150k dmg but get no achievement vs. 150k dmg with one or more.

 

Maybe not.. I've not paid super close attention to that.

 

B

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,554
[PSP]
Members
6,254 posts
8,892 battles

You can get a lot of awards, credits and XP without actually sinking a ship yourself. For instance, this evening I was playing a lower-tier IJN CV and got a Confederate, a High Caliber, and was the top XP earner on my team but sank only one ship. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
973
Members
4,547 posts
6,460 battles
16 hours ago, Crucis said:

I've actually won games when there were the last 5 ships on the enemy team chasing after my team's carrier and I was in a DD in a standard battle.  I'd just run for the enemy cap and end up winning because I'd cap out before they could even get back to my team's cap, let alone get back and defend theirs.  This is particularly do-able in the mid tiers where battleships are usually fairly slow.

Yes!  It's good for more than 1 ship to go after a Red and get him quick with focus fire.  That's good team play.  I did not mean never do that.  It becomes counterproductive however when 3 ships chase 1 Red to the far reaches of the map. This  takes those guns away from the main fight. I have lured ships away from my team mates doing this. It can be a good tactic at times. Make yourself bait and let the kill crazy Reds chase you. All across the map.  The more chasing you the better for the rest of your team.

Edited by dmckay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
566 posts
1,889 battles
20 hours ago, The_Tea_Company said:

-Sorry for posting on the wrong topic area again (game forced me to do it here again...for some reason)

 

I will probably (85%) get the game again and I just remembered about the whole kill stealing mechanic in the game. Unlike WarThunder there is no 'Kill Assist' achievement when you attack a vehicle, but someone else actually 'kills' it before you do. In WoW even if you get 90% of the ship's health down and another player gets 10% and actually kills it, he gets the entire 'kill' achievement. I know that you would still get all the damage achievements, but it is still a little bit annoying how there is no 'Kill Assist' implemented into the game.

 

In the end it does make some sense. For example many tank aces during ww2, only the tank commander himself would get all the achievements while the crew which consisted of the driver, loader, gunner, etc wouldn't be recognised by the public. I mean is it even possible to actually find the names of the crew members of Micheal Wittman's tank or even Otto Carius's crew? 

 

-sorry for any mistakes (for some reason I have a tendency to skip words)

 

As everyone has reiterated. The kill means little. While I have no evidence this is fact. If and when I do kill something I will post it in the forums. ( do not wait I am sure most likely I will go to our maker before that happens).

It's a great and entertaining game. There really is tremendous rewards just enjoying the game and the people. Good luck Capt. Company and have a wonderful time. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alpha Tester
3,327 posts

That and a ship on fire from 2-4 diferent players  just means that whoever s fire put the last tic of damage gets the killl. Good luck sorting that out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
5,336 posts
3,946 battles
On 10/10/2017 at 4:21 PM, Pulicat said:

A kill doesn't really mean anything in the game in terms of reward. I would much rather just have the ship be dead, and you should too. Winning the game is all that really matters. 

Aye!  I agree.  For me, winning is preferable to racking up kills.  If the latter joins up with the former, that's good for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alpha Tester
3,327 posts

The only time I have a problem with it and even then its minor is when someone in a cruiser or DD pops it when Im in a larger ship at longer range, and I already fired

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×